All Comments on 'Oyster River'

by MelissaBaby

Sort by:
  • 43 Comments
ArmorlaArmorlaabout 2 years ago

An excellent yarn!

Captain MidnightCaptain Midnightabout 2 years ago

My best friend, a Lit author, was a "Down Easter." (Inland from the coast, though.) That by itself is enough for me to love this story.

MaonaighMaonaighabout 2 years ago
Five star enjoyment

A lovely story and very well written. Your early paragraphs describing Port Harmony were so good that I could visualise the town as if I was actually seeing it. So many stories on this site write of the unpleasant aspects of small town living; this one tells of the positives and in a very touching way. In addition to Laurel and Michelle, many of the 'extras' helped give loving life to the story, the gay men in the park, the Dean brothers, Gil and all others in the gay club. There were several places where you mixed the girls' names, possibly the result of typing too fast, but that wasn't too bad. This could make a damned good film along the lines of Desert Hearts. Thoroughly enjoyed and five stars herewith.

blueyes4ublueyes4uabout 2 years ago

wonderful story,well written...ty

MigbirdMigbirdabout 2 years ago

A very, very special love story. The detail around the storyline so enriched this romance — not only could I touch the characters but also immerse myself in the surroundings. Laurie and Michelle’s visit to the Oyster River shell midden was a wonderful highlight — romantically, historically and personally as I paused and reflected on the shell middens near my home. This story is the first I’ve read of yours, but will not be the last. Love how you describe yourself — a walking, talking, writing enigma (a compliment). So pleased you are sharing your vivid imagination.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Wow, what a story! So glad, you got to these parts of Lit! Abi

grampaaloisiusgrampaaloisiusabout 2 years ago

What a wonderful love story, thank you so much!

Wasn't sure I liked the Lobster woman at first, but ended up loving the whole family.

I can't judge how realistic the events in Styxxx were, but it was very touching.

May I ask why they had to show their IDs to the doorman? I don’t think they looked like minors at this time.

jasronjasronabout 2 years ago

I love this story. You are a great writer.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

That was nice!

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

😊

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Very nice story. I thought M forgave L a little too quickly but otherwise the characters rang true.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Another gem. You make me want to visit Maine every time I read your stories. Thank you.

phlxxlphlxxlabout 2 years ago

Sigh! Soooo romantic.

Please more 5*

Marbury1803Marbury1803about 2 years ago

Such a well drawn story. I could absolutely picture Port Harmony in my mind, and wanted to be there too! here aned there a typo, but really, your storytelling was excellent. Beautiful love story. Thank you. This was the first of yoiuyr stories I have read, but am sure going to check out some others. Thanks, Melissa

Lovecraft_LoreLovecraft_Loreabout 2 years ago

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Not sure how I feel about lobster trapping but it was a good story. I like that it started as a a poignant coming of age story then made a turn to become a redemption story.

XactoXactoabout 2 years ago

That is a beautiful story. But now I’m all teary. ❤️

TrueLoveIsAllTrueLoveIsAllabout 2 years ago

Wow. Just Wow ❤️❤️❤️

TallFemmeTallFemmeabout 2 years ago

Such a sweet story.

Lifestyle66Lifestyle66about 2 years ago

Great story. I found it a little repetitious at some points, and one change in voice I had to re-read. It's not my usual preferred erotica fare, but very well written with a lot of descriptive detail. Thanks for writing it.

theMasterBaitertheMasterBaiterabout 2 years ago

I'm not crying, you're crying! Wow that was well written. Wish I could write like that, damn.

Air_DryAir_Dryabout 2 years ago

Thank You! It certainly is a feel good story. I love the slow burn. Ultimately leading to a very tasteful climax. (Sorry I had to say it.) Some stories can succeed without having continuous sex scenes. You made that work here. Big Time.

I have to comment on my all time favorite soft drink, Moxie! I was a toddler when my parents took the family to live in my moms hometown, Manchester, NH. I acquired my taste for it then. We came back to Minnesota when I was four. When we went back for vacation I was 13. The recipe for Moxie had changed and I still liked it but less.Never the less when I started vacationing in Florida about 2010 my mother always had some in her fridge. Since the pandemic started she has passed away at the age of 96. I haven't had Movie since. I need a fix.

BillyslateBillyslateabout 2 years ago

Unconditionally Loved It!

This was just an absolutely perfectly written "Love Story", with a lovely ending. Michelle-Laurel-Sadie-Pops; just a great Lobster Trap Team🎉.

An Awesome 5*-Star Story!

OmenainenOmenainenabout 2 years ago

Absolutely loved this. Beautiful imagery. I loved both Laurel and Michelle and the ending was really heartwarming.

Thank you for participating in my event. I really appreciate it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Very nice :)

I wish there was a little more development between the two before Laurel leaves. If felt like they didn’t really have much of a connection before she left. I also could have used more description of what each of them were feeling, describing how they looked at one another etc. Lots of dialogue but I feel like it was missing a lot of other things that show that two people are in love.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

An amazing story, thank you. Had tears well up in this 63yo man's eyes more than once.

Cindy1001Cindy1001almost 2 years ago

There I am, floored at the end of another fabulous story, the intense emotion of the narrative transported beautifully by your very easy (to read at least) style of writing. Thank you again!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What is there to say?

Aw shucks?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

To begin, you're a talented writer and it's gratifying to see so much potential in a piece of work. However, there are just too many issues that are so jarring that it's not possible to enjoy what you've written.

The dialogue has been lazily written, without doubt, with no thought given as to who the characters are and how they express themselves. Every conversation is bereft of imagination. You clearly excel at building immersive worlds for them to inhabit, but it's frustrating to have the table set so beautifully only to have one-dimensional characters thrown in as an afterthought.

There's nothing artistic, or beautiful, about boring dialogue that doesn't adhere to consistent grammatical rules.

There are also some clear technical errors in how you understand speech should be written, starting a new sentence without finishing the one prior, for example. Then, your use of contractions doesn't make sense either. Why would any young person, anywhere, ever say "I am lonely, Pop." - only in the very next sentence, say "The problem with that, Pop, is there ain't nothing special about me"?

I wouldn't leave a comment on the vast majority of stories I read with such clear and obvious structural problems. But you've demonstrated both talent and potential in abundance, and, with polish, could be the amongst the best authors on this entire website. And it's for that reason that I look forward to your future submissions.

This, however, reads as if the most talented student in the class quickly cobbled something together an hour before a deadline. Never forget this, you're asking for the reader's time and I've given you mine. If you want the garlands, earn them.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Damn! a love story, a human story that touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes. you could/should write a novel. I'd buy it. please keep up the good work!!!

FranziskaSissyFranziskaSissyabout 1 year ago

Magnificent ….. yeah what is a decade, it could be an endless waiting time to become an adult or horrible Groundhog Day thinking about some you lost and for Laurel some you feared out of social harassing ….. so this tale was wonderful, the idea the characters the local descriptions and even the drawing but fortunately you kicked her ass to have a come back, a family time ….. ten hearts for this fantastic written tale

💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝✨🌹

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

This is great! Nice story, and really clean writing style. If you're not published yet, you should be working on that.

Runner4069Runner40698 months ago

Such an incredible story, I love it from beginning to end. My wife went to Bryn Mawr and I grew up in Maine, between this and the birders you've got me hooked on your incredible works! Thanks for sharing!

WyreBendr0417WyreBendr04178 months ago

Great story. I'm not usually one for tales of romance, but I was hooked from the beginning. Your description of Port Harmony and the surrounding sites put me right there. I felt like I stood alongside Laurel as she waited for Michelle and the Carol Anne to arrive and dock.

This story has great flow and personality, with a perfect ending. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Repeat reader here, when I'm in the mood for a heart-warming, romantic story, Oyster River and the love that returned is one of those I think of revisiting.

And lovely to read, just like the first time. Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Such a sweet story. It never gets old.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

I cried.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

I grew up in Maine and my first girlfriend was a legacy lobsterman. 🤍🦞 Such a beautiful story.

Goodtunes2Goodtunes24 months ago

Damn, you’re a wonderful storyteller! I really enjoy and find myself moved by your work.

Great detail and character development. It’s also refreshing to that while the eroticism is present, it just seems a natural progression of the storyline. Organic to the theme.

Well done!

Are you otherwise published? I hope so. If not, you really ought to be.

All the best to you and your continued creative flow.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

This story, oh my God, this story. It had me in bits. I'm a straught guy, but the bit in the gaybar had me sobbing. Such a marvellous sense of community and support. Wonderful writing.

THBGatoTHBGato2 months ago

Really enjoyed this and can see myself coming back to it whenever I need a pick-me-up/good cry. I thought the coming out scenes were particularly heartening/heart-rending. It speaks to your skill as a writer that you managed to make them happy and sad simultaneously. I hope you write more in this genre.

GoldustwingGoldustwingabout 1 month ago

Well Mel, you’ve done it again. Such a wonderful story from a skilled writer. It’s a privilege to get to know your characters, we are lucky to share their thoughts, feelings and experiences. I felt very emotional at the conclusion of this story, tears of happiness, I love a good ending.

AnonymousAnonymous28 days ago

Such a sweet read each time I revisit this story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMelissaBaby@MelissaBaby
A bold bitch and a shy girl. An exile and an ex-con. A lover and a leaver. A wise fool and a stupid genius. A cocksucker. A student. A foodie, a boozie, a weedie. A rider of horses. A kisser of girls. A resister, an insister, a persister. Daughter of a goddess, mother of a gho...