Oyster River

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"For the lobsters?"

"No, for not telling me a single thing about you."

****

Michelle saw Laurel in her usual spot at the end of the boardwalk. She waved to her as her father maneuvered Carol Anne against the wharf. After tying off to the dock cleats, she hopped out and walked over toward her, stopping about ten feet away.

"Hey," she said, "We've got to unload, then I am going to clean up and change my clothes. Give me about ten minutes, okay?"

"Sure, no problem," Laurel said. She gripped the top railing , afraid that her hands might tremble. Don't be so nervous, she thought, this isn't a date. It's just two new friends hanging out. You don't even know if she's interested in other girls.

She watched Michelle as she helped her father unload their catch, just as she had on the previous days. And, as on those days, she could not take her eyes off of her; the curve of her hips when she bent down, the flexing of her arm muscles when she lifted, the way her hair fluttered in the ocean breeze.

Her eyes followed Michelle as she pushed the cart into the building, then she looked back to Carol Anne. Michelle's father was standing at the back of the boat. The stern, she thought. They made eye contact and he tipped his Red Sox cap, nodded his head and smiled.

A few minutes later Michelle came back out, walked over to a car parked near the pile of empty lobster traps, took a duffel bag from the back seat and went back inside.

She went into the bathroom and pulled off her damp T-shirt, then kicked off her boots. Her hands smelled of fish bait. She scrubbed them thoroughly, splashed some water under her armpits, then took a towel from her bag to dry off. She was not about to use the dingy towels in the Dean's bathroom.

After rolling some deodorant under her arms, she stripped off her jeans, pulled a clean pair from the bag and put them on, along with a clean shirt. She brushed her hair and looked herself over in the mirror. She wondered if she should start wearing make up again. She hadn't worn it since high school. She shrugged and thought, what she sees is what she gets.

"Well, don't you look good," Butchie said when she came out of the bathroom.

"Thanks, Butchie."

"I expect you're meeting somebody," Stan said.

"Maybe that cute little blonde that's been hanging around here," Butchie replied, nodding.

"Well, ain't you a couple of busy bodies," Michelle said.

Hell," Butchie said, "Stan thought she was hanging around here 'cause of him.


"Well if I was forty years younger..."

"She still wouldn't look twice at you."

Michelle rolled her eyes. "I'll see you guys tomorrow."

"Good luck on your date," Butchie called.

"It's not a date," she shot back over her shoulder. But then again, she thought, maybe it was.

Laurel smiled when she saw that Michelle had changed into nicer clothes. She liked thinking that she had done it for her.

Michelle walked back over to the Carol Anne, talked to her father for a few minutes, then squatted down and untied the boat from the dock. She stood back up and watched her father steer out into the channel before turning and walking to Laurel.

"Hey," she called when she got close, " really glad you come down. Have you had supper?"

"No, I haven't," Laurel replied. Her mother had fixed a meal, but she'd been too jittery to eat.

"I was thinking about going to Siam Cafe and getting some drunken noodles, but I've got the car here if you want to go to someplace further."

"Thai sounds great."

They crossed the shipyard toward Main Street. At the town landing an elderly man waved from the window of the harbormaster's office and Michelle waved back. Two young men, who looked to be brothers, were moving plastic tubs from a boat to the back of a pick up truck.

"Good catch?" Michelle asked them.

They both nodded, and one called back, "Real good day. How about you?"

"Not bad," Michelle said. "I went to school with those guys," she told Laurel.

"What are they catching?"

"Sea urchins."

"Really?"

"Oh yeah, good money in that."

Walking down Main Street, Laurel asked, "So you have lived here your whole life?"

"Yes."

"Did you ever think about going somewhere else?"

"Sure, I've thought about it."

"Do you think you ever will?"

"Not likely."

They went into Siam Cafe and got a seat by the window. They placed their order and, as they waited for their food, Michelle said, "So time to talk about you. You're from Mass, I'm guessing."

"Yes, Boston."

"Well, I won't hold that against you, but if we go anywhere I'll do the driving."

Laurel laughed. "Boston drivers aren't that bad."

"You're going to school?"

"I'm majoring in business administration at UMass."

"So are you going to administer your own business someday, or somebody else's?"

"I've never really thought about a business of my own.What about you?"

"Got one being handed down to me."

"You don't want to do anything else with your life?"

The waitress brought their food, drunken noodle for Michelle, pad Thai for Laurel. Michelle took a few bites before she spoke.

"It might not make sense to someone like you, but those of us who work on the water, it's a life we were born to. I don't see it as obligation. To me it's an honor, something to take pride in."

She picked up a bottle of soy sauce off the table. "Do you know that this soy sauce company has been around since 1600? Now, if your name was Laurel Kikkoman, wouldn't that mean a good bit to you?"

"Yeah, I suppose so."

"Well, there you go," Michelle said, taking another bite of noodles.

The conversation shifted to other matters. Laurel had questions about the town; how good was the bookstore? What other restaurants were worth trying?

Michelle looked outside and realized that they had spent a couple of hours lingering and talking.

"I'd best call it a night," she said, "Four o'clock comes awful early."

"You get up at four o'clock?"

"Yeah, I'm usually in bed by this time. I guess that explains why I don't have a real active social life."

"Well I had a really nice evening," Laurel said.

"I did, too. We'll have to do it again."

"I'd love to."

They paid the check and left the restaurant. Standing under a street lamp, Michelle said "I've got my car back at the wharf if you'd like a ride ."

Laurel looked up the hill toward Harborview House. "I think it's actually closer me to just walk from here."

"Alright then," Michelle said. She started to walk away, then turned back. "Hey, Laurel..."

Laurel stopped halfway across the street.

"I'm going to Brunswick on Sunday to run some errands. Do you want to come with me? I mean, I know it ain't Boston..."

"That would be great, Laurel said. "Hey we need to exchange numbers."

They got out their phones and did so, then said good night one more time. They walked away in opposite directions, but with identical smiles on their faces.

****

Michelle picked Laurel up on Sunday morning for the forty five minute trip to Brunswick. They listened to the radio on the way and compared musical tastes. Michelle liked a lot of country, Laurel was more into pop; but there was plenty of common ground they agreed upon. When they reached Brunswick, Michelle parked near the Bowdoin College campus. They strolled up and down Maine Street, chatting and window shopping, and had coffee at the Little Dog Coffee House.

The main purpose of the trip was to stock up on groceries and other supplies, so after lunch at the Cook's Corner Chipotle, Michelle turned into the WalMart parking lot.

Laurel frowned. "WalMart is a really terrible company," she grumbled.

"Well, you don't have to spend any money here,"
 Michelle replied, "I'll be happy to drive you anywhere you want to shop."

"No, that's okay, we can just agree to disagree."

She kept her opinions to herself while Michelle did her shopping.

On the way back to Port Harmony, Laurel got up the nerve to ask Michelle, "I was just wondering...you haven't mentioned anything about having a boyfriend or..."

Michelle looked straight ahead and bit her lip. She was enjoying the time she was spending with Laurel and did not want to risk scaring her away.

"No," she said, "Like I was saying the other night, I just don't have time for much of a social life. What about you?"

Michelle looked down at her hands. "I'm really just trying to concentrate on school."

That exchange seemed to create an awkward tension in the car, as if they each want to say more, but neither could find the nerve to do so. After a few minutes though, the mood in the car lightened and by the time they returned to Port Harmony and Michelle dropped Laurel off at Harborview House, they were both feeling good about their day together.

Laurel's aunt and uncle arrived from Massachusetts on Monday to spend the week. Her parents planned a number of activities, including an overnight trip to Acadia National Park. Laurel tried to beg off, but her mother insisted that she participate in the family outings, and the week went by without any opportunities for her to see Michelle.

They talked on the phone a few times, though, and made plans to go to the movies on Saturday. The Seaside was showing The Notebook, and they were both interested in seeing it.

A light rain was falling, so Laurel's father dropped her off at the theater, and Michelle drove from the wharf and met her in the lobby.

"Did you eat dinner?" Laurel asked Michelle.

"Nope, I guess I'll have popcorn tonight."

Laurel shook her head. "It doesn't seem like you eat a very healthy diet."

"Okay, Mom."

They purchased popcorn and sodas and found seats in the middle of the small theater.

Laurel looked at Michelle with a concerned expression. "You haven't mentioned your mother before."

Michelle took a long drink of her soda, then said, "She died of leukemia when I was eight."

"Oh. I'm really sorry."

The lights dimmed and the coming attractions began.

"Oh, for fuck sake," Michelle muttered, "Wasn't one Spider-Man movie enough?"

They settled in for The Notebook, sitting low in their seats, shoulder to shoulder. Michelle found the movie a little too sentimental, but Laurel was clearly caught up in it, occasionally sighing deeply, and in moments when she found it particularly romantic, she rested her head on Michelle's shoulder. During the final, tear jerker scene, she reached over and held her hand. As soon as the credits began to roll, she pulled it back.

As they walked out to the lobby, Laurel took a tissue from her purse and blew her nose.

"That really got to you, didn't it?' Michelle asked.

"Don't tease me, I just thought it was so beautiful, how they lost each other, then got together again."

"I'm not teasing, I think it's sweet that you found it so moving."

"You didn't like it?"

"I liked it fine. Both of the main characters were so good. I really liked that actress."

"Rachel McAdams."

"Yeah, I thought she was really pretty, didn't you."

Laurel hesitated a second, then said, "Yeah, she is."

It was raining harder than when they had entered. They dashed down the street to Michelle's car.

"Do you know how to get to my place?" Laurel asked.

"Babe, I've lived in this town my whole life."

"I forget how small it is," Laurel said. "I like it though. You know, for the first few nights we were here, I had a hard time sleeping, because it was so quiet."

"You ought to hear it in the winter."

Michelle drove up Bluff Street to Harborview House and pulled into the small parking area. She put the car in park and turned to Laurel.

"I was wondering about something," she said.

"What?"

"I thought maybe you'd like to go out on Carol Anne with me tomorrow, just to see what it's like."

"I think that would be wonderful, if it's not still raining."

"It won't be."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Trust me on that kind of thing."

Laurel laughed. Impulsively, Michelle leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. Laurel looked at her in surprise, then smiled, said goodnight and jumped out of the car.

She kissed me, she thought, it was only on the cheek, but she kissed me. That night, lying in bed, she asked herself, over and over gain, why she had not kissed her back.

****

There were no more than a handful of white puffs of cloud in the morning. Michelle was sitting on the edge of the wharf when Laurel arrived. The tide was high, it almost reached her dangling feet. She stood up when she saw Laurel and brushed off the seat of her denim shorts.

"Told you the rain would be gone," she said.

Laurel looked nervously as the small boat bobbed up and down in the water. "I hope I don't get seasick," she said.

"Well, if you do you have a whole ocean to throw up in."

With the high tide, Carol Anne rode a couple of feet above the wharf. Michelle sat on the rail and swung her legs on to the boat. Laurel copied her motions easily enough, but when her feet touched the deck, the boat rocked and she almost lost her balance. Michelle grabbed her arm and steadied her.

"Are you okay there, babe?"

Laurel felt a little shaky, but nodded.

"Do you want a life vest?" Michelle asked.

" Do I need one?"

"Probably not. but it might make you feel a little safer."

Laurel shook her head. She thought that if she admitted she didn't feel safe, Michelle might think she doubted her seamanship. Still holding Laurel's arm, Michelle guided her to the stern, where a bench ran the width of the boat.

"You just sit here for now," she said, then cast off from the wharf . She went to the wheelhouse and started the engine. Laurel could feel it vibrating beneath her feet. She felt a moment of anxiety as they moved away from the wharf and the buildings receded behind them.

"Are we going to go out very far?" she asked.

"Not on your first trip," Michelle said, looking over her shoulder and smiling. "Besides, out there, there's nothing to see but more ocean."

"Okay. I just think I'd feel better if we stayed where I can see land."

"Not a problem," Michelle said. She set a course along the southern shoreline. To the east of the harbor, the land rose in a sequence of pine covered hills. Rocky promontories jutted out into the ocean. Laurel was thrilled when Michelle pointed out a large gathering of harbor seals sunning themselves on one of them. On another, dozens of seagulls stood and watched them go by.

When they reached Otter Head, Michelle made a great looping turn away from the shore and headed back toward the harbor.

"Hey," Michelle said, "Come on up here."

Laura cautiously rose to her feet and stepped warily over to the wheelhouse.

Michelle got out of the captain's chair. "Here, sit," she said. Laurel climbed into the seat. Michelle moved behind her and put her hands on her shoulders.

"Take the wheel, Laurel."

Laurel touched the wheel tentatively.

"Just hold it like the steering wheel in a car. It works the same way."

Laurel took a firmer hold on the wheel. Michelle reached forward and put her hand on top of Laurel's.

"Let's go in a little bit closer to shore," she said. She squeezed Laurel's hand more tightly around the wheel, and made a slight turn.

"See there, you're piloting the boat. Let me know if you want to go faster."

Laurel vigorously shook her head. "I don't."

"Keep turning," Michelle said.

Laurel pulled the wheel further, and Carol Anne made a circle. As she turned, the hull dipped, and Laurel was startled, but when it rose again, she laughed.

"This is fun!" she exclaimed.

"I ought to have you pull a few traps, you can see how much fun that is," Michelle said. "Now straighten her out."

Laurel straightened the wheel. Michelle reached from behind her and adjusted it, aiming them into the main channel. She placed her hands on Laurel's shoulders and pressed her face against the side of her head, breathing in the faintly floral scent of her hair. She thought about turning her in the chair and taking her in her arms, sharing a deep, soulful kiss with her, but she remembered how common it was for local boys to use the isolation and privacy of their boats to take advantage of young women. They had tried it with her, and resented it. She drew back, unwilling to attempt it with Laurel.

"Are you getting hungry?" she asked.

"Are you going to pull up a couple of lobsters for us?" Laurel asked.

"Not unless you want to eat them raw."

"I'll pass on that."

"Well, scoot out of the chair, I'll take you to lunch."

Laurel got up and Michelle moved into the captain's chair. She took the throttle and the boat picked up speed. Laurel leaned against her, and, in a move she thought might be too bold, draped her arm over her shoulders.

She was glad Michelle had taken back the wheel as they entered the harbor. The water seemed strewn with obstacles. Fishing boats of all kinds, sail boats and yachts rocked alongside their moorings, but Michelle had no trouble finding a clear passage. They continued beyond the wharf and past the town. Looking beyond the waterfront buildings, Laurel managed to find Harborview House, sitting above the town on the bluff. She remembered looking down at the boats in the harbor from the widows walk and wondered if Carol Anne had been one of those she had seen.

Michelle drew close to the dock in front of Mariners restaurant. "Scoot over," she said, putting her hand on Laurel's hip and gently moving her aside. She got out of the chair, took a coil of rope from a hook on the rail, made it into a hoop and with a casual motion flung it over one of the pilings. With a little more rope work, they were snuggly berthed.

She jumped up on to the dock, bent down and held out her hand. Laurel took it and Michelle helped her climb off the boat. They walked up a short set of wooden steps to the restaurant's deck.

"Hey, Michelle," a waitress called. She was a redhead, about their age. "Take a seat anywhere you want."

They sat at a table against the rail.

"Seems like you know everybody in this town," Laurel said.

"Oh, that's Darlene. We went to school together. But yeah, it's a small town."

Darlene brought the menus and filled their water glasses.

"So how have you been, honey?" she asked Michelle.

"Can't complain."

"Well, nobody listens if you do."

"How's your mom?"

"Still getting around. How's Pop?"

"Same as ever."

Michelle looked at Laurel. "Usually I get the haddock sandwich, onion rings and a Moxie."

"That sounds good. I'll get the same."

"You from away?" Darlene asked.

"I'm from Boston."

"I'll bring you a Coke." Darlene said, walking away with the unread menus.

Laurel looked out over the harbor.

"I didn't even want to come here for the summer, but I'm really going to miss this place," she said.

"When do you go back?"

Laurel frowned. "A week from Tuesday."

Michelle felt her stomach knot. She knew summer was coming to an end, but she didn't think Laurel would be leaving so soon.

"So we've only got one more weekend to hang out together."

"Not even that," Laurel said, "On Saturday night my folks are having a going away party with some of their new summer friends, so I'm expected to be there."

"We will have to do something special on Sunday, then."

Darlene brought them their lunch. After eating in silence for a few minutes, Michelle asked Laurel, "Have you got a bike?"

"At home, not here."

"You can rent a bike at Reeves Sporting Goods. I was thinking we could take a bike ride next Sunday."

"That sounds like fun."

"Good," Michelle said, "I want to show you place that I think is kind of special."

They finished their lunch and took Carol Anne back to Dean's wharf. There were still several hours of daylight left, but they had both fallen into the same melancholy mood. When Laurel suggested she ought to head home to have supper with her parents, Michelle nodded. They stood on the wharf and hugged, then they each went her separate way, Laurel walking up the hill to Harborview House, Michelle sailing up the river toward home.

123456...9