All Comments on 'Pain'

by lbenton

Sort by:
  • 29 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 1 year ago

Wonderful story!

5

IbeSteveIbeSteveover 1 year ago

I enjoyed it very much. Thank you.

oldsage_1oldsage_1over 1 year ago

Different, convoluted but I enjoyed it. I give it 5 for the change of pace. I bet the ex and sister split but that's just my evil mind at work! Well done!

Cheers

SAGE

Cracker270Cracker270over 1 year ago

What a lovely story. Well crafted and told. Made my day

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I’m not a big fan of supernatural stories, but this one was pretty good. Generally well written, with only minor errors (e.g., your/you’re). The characters were interesting.

dardefdardefover 1 year ago

You had a beginning an a ending.......just not much in the middle......enjoyed story I made up what you left out!

tonydxxtonydxxover 1 year ago

Would have been a 5 without Cherry/Cheryl. That took the story away from real life.

TheArtfulCodgerTheArtfulCodgerover 1 year ago

liked the story, a bit of jumping around, try to connect the dots better.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Saw that one coming from a mile away. Fairly prosaic. 4*

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I especially liked the introduction with the separate vignettes. The scenes about everyone being served dinner at the same time worked well and created a nice hometown atmosphere. Did I miss something about him have the motel room key in the till? Did his in-laws own the motel and he had that key on permanent loan to crash after late nights?

tentaclesforalltentaclesforallover 1 year ago

Ok, so 5/5 to start with, but...

While we all knew the Cherry/Cheryl thing was coming, I still come out somehow feeling cheated out of a page between page three and four...

It all resolved a little too quickly, almost as if you wanted to just be done with this story, while I certainly could have lingered over it for another page or two.

The relationship between Kyle and Hailee/Ashley also pretty abruptly went from 0 to 100.

I did love the concept and the characters, but the way it resolved so quickly also removed a whole lot of possible tension from the story... i.e. there wasn't actually all that much of a dramatic climax here other than the blowup over the trashed pie... no real catharsis between the characters, Ashley just kinda hopped on the bed and spread her legs...

Given how well the rest of the story was developed, I'm sort of baffled as to what happened to make you decide to sort of just half-ass the last page, because clearly you can write better than the ending we got here...

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 1 year ago

Didn't deduct a point from an otherwise great story, but who the hell is Cindi? Where did the child come from...confused the hell out of me at the end. 5*

olddave51olddave51over 1 year ago

I liked very much

I just want a part 2.

Niece (Cindi) Was a nice addition to the story a little more back story (maybe in part 2)

We need a little closure on the sister and the ex and the mom. (maybe in part 2)

Maybe how she gets her money safely under her control.

I wonder if the sister and the ex have any unpaid college loans?

Some karma has to hit the sister, the ex and the mom

I would really like to see the sister's and the ex's relationship crash and burn.

I really wish she had got more for putting the ex through school it was an investment.

5 stars

rnebularrnebularover 1 year ago

A good romance, looks like you may have left some editing marks in there still and a few missing letters on some words. The flow was good, but as has been commented, the ending did seem to jump pretty fast to them being married with kids. Thanks for sharing.

Davester37Davester37over 1 year ago

Yes, I agree with Demosthenes that I was confused about the niece, until that way tied up at the end, seemingly offhandedly, but I really enjoyed the rest of the story. I also thought it weird that there were three car accidents with such varied results.

All that said, this is a sweet tale well told. The characters are well-developed, likable, and interesting. I appreciate your using a couple of actual locations and regional references.

Thank you for writing, and thank you for sharing your work.

OvercriticalOvercriticalover 1 year ago

It was like reading something written by a 6th grader with a dash of last minute adult sex thrown on top. Everyone was so much a caricature of a real person that reading it made me cringe. So why did I read it through? Not sure except that I thought it had some promise until page 3 and then I just skimmed to the end. The "Cherry" person's identity was obvious from the first appearance of the "ghost". It was a mass of clichés and obvious plot templates and was well worth the 2* I gave it.

BlastusBlastusover 1 year ago

Overcritical rates it a "2". I gave it a "5".

If you bring tears to the eyes of this sentimental old romantic you rate a five.

You can't please everyone.

vanyevanyeover 1 year ago

Niece was an unnecessary twist, since you never mentioned his sister until you explained she was a drug addict. Theoretically, the father was unknown?

Story has promise.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Didn’t like how the ex and sister got away unscathed

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

It could have been a lot better with a longer chapter. It's like the author was in a hurry to finish the story. 3 star

TulipfuzzTulipfuzz6 months ago

Even though the story could be improved by a more lengthy write. Your storytelling skill earns the story an "almost five". Since it would be a sin to give the story a four it receives a five from me. Now, on to your other stories❤️.

Helen1899Helen18996 months ago

I agree with every word overcritical wrote apart from the 2* I gave 4 for a good effort and imagination.

unclemerv77unclemerv773 months ago

Some ppeople are to critical, I read these stories for my enjoyment and if I do enjoy them I always give a 5 and if I don't, I don't give anything and I don't make comments

BSreaderBSreaderabout 2 months ago
Nice

End great job I had a feeling who cherry was.

XluckyleeXluckyleeabout 1 month ago

I loved reading this story. Some of the critics on this site should stop reading here because there is no pleasing them. I read for my enjoyment and don't mind if there a some mistakes that are not distracting from the story. 5 stars from Xluckylee for a very enjoyable read.

AnonymousAnonymous11 days ago

Contrived and syrupy.but liked it, five stars worth.

JPB NOT BOB

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userlbenton@lbenton
I am a 60 year old man that has been forcibly retired due to a stroke. to keep myself sane, I have been writing erotica and other short stories.