All Comments on 'Parenting a Down Syndrome child'

by Iamcanadian28

Sort by:
  • 9 Comments
RoadbugRoadbugalmost 16 years ago
Very good

Very good article. I have a cousin who had a daughter that was special needs. She was a sweet child and her greatest wish was to hold her baby brother after he was born. This wish was granted before she passed on. I had the privledge to see the smile she had while she held her brother and it was a great ray of sunshine for all who witnessed it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
RIGHT ON

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD..WE'VE FOUND THAT THE LOOKS THAT WE RECEIVE FROM PEOPLE, WHEN THEY DISCOVER OUR SON IS SPECIAL IS EITHER ONE OF UNDERSTANDING OR IGNORANCE...SAD REALLY.. THEY ARE SPECIAL LITTLE PEOPLE. THEY DON'T NEED PITY, JUST LOVE.

Emerald_DragonEmerald_Dragonalmost 16 years ago
Very good.

I once knew a couple that adopted a Down's child before she was even born. It was a foreign concept to me that someone would give up their child before they had even seen it. Granted the little girl got loving parents that adored her instead of being raised by a young couple that didn't want her, but still... I have babysat (years ago) for children with Down's and found them to be some of the friendliest and cheeriest kids ever. Having children with special needs is indeed a challenge. Kudos to you for rolling with the punches and coming out on top!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Parent too

I am the parent of a young man with Down Syndrome(26 yrs old). (People first language, he my son who has down syndrome)).. he is the warmest loving person. Yet he is FEARLESS, he wrestled in High School, He currently is a powerlifter, benching 360 lbs. Not what I thought when he was born... Life is always looking to throw you a curve..

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
General

Although this is a great cause, and granted your experiences will reach many of those who may need it. I was shocked to see such a sincere article on an erotic website and believe that it was poor taste, might I suggest you take it down and post it elsewhere.

PrincessErinPrincessErinalmost 16 years ago
Well written

A very well written article. It has nothing to do with erotica but that doesn't matter.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Very Informative

I can relate to a lot what you shared, being that my daughter has Asperger's. Though Down Syndrome definitely has different challenges than Asperger's, the underlying truth is that all children are a blessing. I think the most difficult thing is when family "advised" me to put her in placement at a school due to their concern that with my disability, I could not handle her disability. However, my daughter and I are each other's biggest support. People always seem to have solutions to other people's problems when they fail to realize that the problem is their own.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Thank you

I have a little girl who has Down syndrome. She's the light of my life. I also find the whole "special parents" and stuff hard to swallow. It's like... no my kid just happens to have Down Syndrome and it's not what I'd ideally have liked but that's how it is and it doesn't make me special or her an angel. It also ticks me off when people call her a "Downs baby" or something similar. She's a human being... don't put her diagnosis before her humanity!

davebccanadadavebccanadaover 12 years ago
Enjoyed your article.

I find your writing style very clean and clear, easy to read and also a joy. I also found this article to be most informative. It's hard for those of us who live in a world devoid of the daily cares you must exercise to comprehend your point of view but your words go a long way to helping us understand to some small extent. Thanks for that.

~ Dave

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous