Peg Leg's Lost Treasure

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

None of this made any sense. He heard her talking about killing him. He sure as hell wasn't dreaming it. "I'm going to make a pot of coffee, then we need to sit down and talk."

She nodded her head in agreement but was still blubbering too hard to answer.

Aaron started the pot and set two cups out on the kitchen table while Brenda sat on the couch trying to compose herself. When it was ready, he poured the coffee and fixed hers the way she liked it before calling for her.

"I must look terrible," she said, sitting down.

"Never mind how you look. Start from the beginning," he stated flatly.

"Okay," she replied with a small sigh. "Well, as I'm sure you know by now, I... I had an affair with Sean. Please don't ask me why because I don't know myself. It wasn't anything you did or didn't do, or said or didn't say. It was a whole bunch of things that swirled around in my head.

"We're so rich and it's all because of you. I make thirty thousand a year in a dead-end job. I was feeling worthless, I was feeling unappreciated, not necessarily by you, but just in general. Sean was always there with a smile and a compliment. We started going to lunch together. In time, we started stopping off for a drink after work. He was always so nice and thoughtful.

"I'm not really sure how he did it, but he eventually got me into bed. It... I don't know, it was weird. I felt so guilty, but it was also exciting. Just the thought of illicit sex on the side was like an aphrodisiac. He was very aggressive, not loving, and not like he was trying to force me, just... lust... he was lusting for my body. It was..."

"Okay, enough about all that," Aaron interrupted, "what about the part where the two of you started planning my murder."

"Please, Aaron, don't ever believe for one second that I would have a part in anything like that. When I found out that you knew about my affair, it almost killed me, but when Dave told me you heard us on tape, I truly wanted to die. I couldn't even imagine the pain you were going through and nobody could reach you. Dave tried calling two or three times a day."

"Okay, I'll call Dave the first thing tomorrow. You said it was a trap; that you were trapping Sean..."

"Yeah. After a couple of months, he started talking about me leaving you and going off together with him. At first, I thought he was joking, but the more he talked, the more I knew he was serious. He started asking questions about the money, how much could I get my hands on and stuff like that.

"I told him I had no intention of leaving you. That made him mad and he started really pressuring me. He had me terrified. I was trying to stall him, thinking he'd eventually lose interest. That's when he started talking about killing you so he and I could live happily ever after. When I told him I'd never do such a thing, he made it sound like he was going to do it whether I liked it or not.

"I thought about going to the cops here but I knew Dave worked there and I still had hopes of getting out this without you find out about the affair... silly, I know. Anyway, since he lived in the city, I went to the Chicago cops. They gave me a real tiny digital recorder and told me to try and make him talk about it, but not to act too enthusiastic. They thought that might make him suspicious since I'd already said I wanted no part of it.

"I taped all of our conversations for about two weeks. That's when he came up with the idea of using that map and leaving you out in the desert. When the Chicago cops heard it, they called in the FBI. They coached me more on what to say and how to act so as not to give anything away. They weren't sure how'd you react if you knew, so they told me to keep quiet unless you decided against going to California. When you said you were going to do it, they assured me they'd protect you and make sure you wouldn't get hurt. I had no idea you knew anything until Dave came to my work and arrested me.

"That's when I really lost it, knowing you thought I was trying to kill you," she said as she started to cry again.

"And of course this has all been corroborated with the FBI?"

"Of course. They let me out of jail later that same day. Unfortunately, work didn't wait around to get the facts. The next morning, when I went back in they had already made up their minds to fire me. I've been so worried about you, I haven't even looked for another job yet."

She was dying to ask if he'd consider trying to save the marriage. She'd already checked out some couples therapists, but she decided it could wait. She'd given him a lot to digest, already. She'd wait a little while.

Aaron was just sitting there, staring at the floor. The fact that she was sitting in the kitchen and not in jail was a pretty convincing testimony to her telling the truth. Still...

He stood and put his cup in the sink before turning back and looking her in the face. "I guess you sitting here pretty well confirms what you've told me, but to be on the safe side, I'm going to spend the night in a hotel. After I talk to Dave in the morning, you and I can talk about what happens next. Right now, I'm going to run upstairs and grab some clean clothes."

A few minutes later he didn't even bother coming back to face her. "I'll call you tomorrow," he barked out just before she heard the door close.

Neither of them got much sleep that night. The next morning, Aaron didn't know if Dave was working days or nights so he walked down to a little restaurant and had some breakfast before placing his call. Dave was sitting in his kitchen when he saw Aaron's name pop up.

"Jesus, man, don't you ever answer your phone? Where are you?" was how he answered.

"Yeah, sorry. I just needed to get away for a little while and didn't feel like talking to anyone."

"Where are you?" Dave repeated.

"At the Greenleaf on Rand."

"Have you been home yet?"

"Oh, yeah; it was quite a shock."

"Yeah, I'll bet. Why don't you come over for coffee. I'll explain the whole thing to you."

"I'll be there in ten minutes, Dave." Aaron jumped in his car and headed for his cousin's. Lisa, Dave's wife, gave him a big sympathetic hug as she invited him in. A couple of minutes later, Dave and Aaron sat across the kitchen table, each with a cup of coffee. Aaron was anxious to hear Dave's version.

"Brenda said the whole thing was a trap for McCall."

"She's telling the truth. I know one of the Chicago cops who was working with her. Remember when the FBI showed up at the ranch and nobody could figure out how they knew about the operation? They were called in by the Chicago PD When the FBI called the California State Police they were informed of that end of the operation, so they just coordinated with each other."

Aaron sat there, shaking his head with disbelief. "Jesus, what a screwed up mess."

Dave laughed. "Wasn't it though. Brenda was trying her damndest to keep you from finding out about her cheating.

"After we arrested her, I was in no mood to finish my shift so I took the rest of the day off. I didn't even know she'd been released until she called me later. She asked if we could talk. She literally collapsed in my arms when she found out you knew about her wanting to kill you, or I should say, allegedly wanting to kill you."

"So, you believe her?" Aaron asked.

"Oh yeah, there's no question that it was all a sting operation. She never wanted you dead or hurt in any way. If we hadn't gotten involved it would have still gone down about the same way."

Aaron sat there, looking into space.

"So, what are you going to do? I know Brenda is praying you'll forgive her."

"I don't see that happening," Aaron replied. "She slept with that guy for six months."

"Well, to be fair, the last two months were part of the sting. She'd have broken it off before that, otherwise."

"Okay, four months. Is there really that much difference between four and six?"

"I suppose not. I don't think she's holding on to a lot of hope anyway. I do feel bad about her job, though. They fired her after our arrest. One other thing you should remember: she took a big chance to do what she did. She was terrified of that guy. Who knows what McCall would have done if he'd known Brenda was betraying him. She did it to protect you. Please keep that in mind before kicking her to the curb?"

"Dave, you know me better than that. I'm not going to just toss her out."

"Yeah, I didn't really think you would," Dave told him.

"So... I have your assurance that if I sleep in the same house with Brenda, I won't wake up with a dagger in my heart?"

"Absolutely!" Dave replied with conviction. "People rarely wake up at all with a dagger in their heart," he responded with a smile.

"Ha, ha, very funny."

Well, he'd found out what he wanted to know, now he needed time to think again. After saying his goodbyes to Dave and Lisa, he drove around for a while with no thought as to a destination. His nerves were a frazzled mess. He needed someplace quiet to decompress.

There was one place: a smal, man-made lake surrounded by the green rolling hills of a city park. This time of day he assumed it would be deserted and he was right. He walked along a tree-lined path for a while before picking out a freshly painted parkbench near the water. Aaron sat back, closed his eyes and let the sun shine down on him. The lapping of small waves against the shoreline made for soothing background music.

Eventually, thoughts of his current situation invaded the serenity. As devastating as it was to think Brenda wanted him dead, it did make things easier. There were just no ifs, ands or buts about it, she was toast. Now, finding out she actually put herself in harm's way to protect him, obviously put a new wrinkle in things. Dave was right, Sean was intimidating and Brenda had to be in constant fear that he'd find out about her turning him in.

As grateful as he was, Aaron just couldn't see a future for them together. He would always have suspicions... always. He couldn't live like that. Regrettable, as it was, there was only one choice.

It was almost three o'clock when he finally returned home. At first, he wondered if she was there. Then he heard her in the computer room and walked to the doorway. "What are you doing?"

"Trying to make a resumé. Now that I know you're safe, I have to find a job... quick," she emphasized. "I have no idea where I'm going to stay yet, but somehow I have to get an apartment."

"Why don't you leave that for right now. We need to talk."

"I know what you're going to say, Aaron, and I have to get this finished. I..." She looked up at him with tears in her eyes. "I'm scared, Aaron. I've got no money, no car, and no place to stay. I... I don't know what I'm going to do," she said as the tears broke loose and started to pour.

Aaron walked over and guided her to her feet, then wrapped her in his arms and gently pushed her head to his shoulder. He let her cry for a minute or two before speaking. "We've known each other for a long time, Brenda. Do you really think I'd throw you out of here without anything?"

It took a couple of sobs before she could reply. "Y... you probably don't even remember. We signed a prenup, Aaron. It says I get nothing because I cheated on you."

"And you think that because we signed that thing years ago, it's some kind of a law that I have to obey?"

"Well, no bu... but I did cheat on you."

"Come on," he said, "let's go in the living room and talk. I've given it a lot of thought."

As they sat down on the couch, he could see hope building behind her eyes. He didn't want to give her the wrong impression, so he came out with it, first thing. "Yes, you did cheat on me, Brenda. I will never be able to forget that."

He saw the hope disappear. "I've given a lot of thought to trying to save the marriage, but it won't work. I'd always be suspicious and neither of us should have to live the rest of our lives under a cloud like that."

She sobbed heavily as she lowered her head and looked down at a seat cushion. Aaron reached under her chin and lifted it to eye-level. "But neither am I going to just toss you to the curb, either," he said with a small smile, "after all, you may very well have saved my life."

"I don't deserve anything, Aaron. I... I knew what I was doing. I just wasn't strong enough to resist."

"I won't lie to you, Brenda, that's the part that breaks my heart. I would have hoped your love for me would have given you that strength."

"I know, Aaron, I know. I'm so sorry."

"Well, your willingness to put yourself on the line like you did, goes a long way in apologizing. So, here's what I've come up with. I'm giving you the house, you..."

"Oh, Aaron, I couldn't afford the mortgage. I..."

"If you'll let me finish please."

"Okay, I'm sorry. It's..."

"I'm giving you the house and your car," he continued. "I know you can't pay the mortgage, so I paid it off. I checked with the bank and there was only a little over a hundred and twenty thousand left, so I cashed out a couple of bonds and wrote out a check. I also got this," he said, pulling a white envelope out of his pocket and handing it to her. "It's a cashier's check for a hundred grand."

He almost had to laugh. His soon to be ex-wife sat, unable to move or talk. She held the envelope in her hand, her mouth hung open, and her watery eyes just stared at him. It must have been almost a minute before she snapped out of it.

"Aaron, honey, I... I can't accept this. I don't deserve it. I ruined everything, our future, our life together."

"I can't argue with you there," he replied with a constrained chuckle. "You also gave me a lot of good years and stuck your neck out when the chips were down. Now, this will take care of your immediate needs, but I have one more settlement check. I didn't have time to do it today, but tomorrow I'm going to set up a trust with another hundred thousand. You'll be able to draw out up to fifty grand a year as you need it. After that, you're on your own... sound fair to you?"

"I... I don't even know what to say, Aaron. This is way more than what I deserve."

"Well, a hundred grand isn't really that much these days, so I'd still get that resume together if I were you. It's just that now you'll be able to be a little choosey, and won't have to take the first job that comes your way."

"I... I just don't know how to thank you, Aaron," she said while shaking her head in disbelieve.

"What are you going to do? Where're you going to go? Where are you going to sleep?"

"Well, for the immediate future, I'm going to sleep in the guest room upstairs. After that, I'm not sure. I really liked California. I'm thinking about moving out there."

More moisture made her green eyes glisten as she thought about him being so far away. She obviously knew they'd no longer be a couple, but she hadn't thought of possibly never seeing him again. She strained an artificial smile and leaned forward to kiss him on the forehead. "Will you let me know if you move? Maybe we could have one last dinner together?"

"I will, I promise," he replied. "Right now I have to call Dave. I need to thank him and his buddies for all their help. They're really quite a team," he laughed as he thought back to all their covert procedures. He went into his office and closed the door. He had a gift for his three friends and wanted to present it at the close of a nice dinner for them and their wives.

The following Sunday evening, they all gathered at Chez Paul's, one of the finest restaurants the area had to offer. Of course, Aaron already knew Dave's wife, Lisa, and he'd already met Tracy, Dalton's wife. Jack's wife, Alaina, was just as fetching and personable as the other two. For a moment, Aaron wished his own wife could be there. If it had been seven months sooner, he was sure they'd all be best friends. As it was, he was the only one at the table without someone by his side. It was something he was going to have to get used to.

As the meal and conversation progressed, Aaron was getting more and more excited. Finally, everyone had finished their dinner along with dessert. He ordered another bottle of wine for a toast. As everyone poured a little vino in their glasses, Aaron pulled three envelops from his pocket and passed them out.

Jack was the first to question him. "What's this?"

"Open them and find out," Aaron countered.

Everyone opened the envelops but looked a little confused. "I don't get it," Dave responded. Everybody looked up at Aaron waiting for an explanation.

"The map was real," he responded with a Cheshire cat-like grin from ear to ear.

"What?" they all asked, almost in perfect unison.

"The map was the real thing. The whole time, even after hearing Sean's story about it, I had a feeling it still might be real. I was right. Those are five percent shares in the Brookfield Gold and Copper Mine. Gentlemen, within a year you're all going to be millionaires, probably several times over."

They all looked at each other, not knowing what to say. There were a couple of stupefied utterances from the guys and, "Oh, my Gods," from the girls, but no cognitive words spoken for a minute or two. Finally, Dalton was the first to express what the other guys were thinking.

"Aaron, I can't take this. I didn't do that much, certainly nothing to warrant this."

"Yeah, I feel the same way," Jack and Dave confirmed.

"Well, if that's the way you feel, but you'll have to hire a lawyer in California to go to court and have your names removed from the claim."

"What?" Dalton barked. "Why can't you just have our names removed?"

"Because I knew you guys would feel like this, so I made sure you'd have to go through hell to refuse me, that's why," he said, sitting back in his chair, obviously very pleased with himself.

Jack, Dalton, and Dave all looked at each other. "Well, I'm sure not going to hire any California lawyer," Jack said.

"Me neither," Dave confirmed.

"I guess that's it then," Dalton declared, "it appears we're all millionaires."

"A toast," Aaron said, raising his glass. "To the Brookfield Gold and Copper Mine, may it make Sutter's Mill look like pocket change."

Everyone toasted, after which, they all thanked their host profusely. Everyone went home feeling on top of the world. Unfortunately, Aaron was the only one who didn't celebrate that night by making love to his spouse.

He thought about Brenda on the drive home. He hadn't said anything, but he had a forth envelope in his pocket for her; after all, If it hadn't been for her affair, he wouldn't have the gold mine. He had no idea how much ore it would produce, but there was no doubt it would be tens, maybe hundreds of millions of dollars worth. The thing was, he'd trade it all to have his loving and FAITHFUL wife back. Sadly, that was no longer possible.

Well, he sighed to himself, California's a big state... lots of women. In fact, the lawyer who helped him set up the claim had a beautiful secretary. He made note that she wore no rings. Maybe he'd ask her out for coffee.

The End.