All Comments on 'People Who Live in Glass Houses...'

by trigudis

Sort by:
  • 14 Comments
ChasBChasBabout 8 years ago
Real?

Seems like this could be based on reality. Names changed, of course, to protect the...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
I believe it

I know a brother and sister who are in an incestuous relationship. He left his wife and kids and moved over a thousand miles with his sister.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Has that ring of truth

I've gotta agree with ChasB. It was hot and well written, but it seems like a real memory. Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
not bad but lame unbelievably weak ending

#Really their Mother talked to him about her kids fucking #Really

would of been more realistic/better if he confronted them and/or blackmailed them for threesome or took his sister to spy on them then fucked her

trigudistrigudisabout 8 years agoAuthor
To Anonymous #1

Gale's and Martin's mom NEVER told Ben during their encounter in the food store that she caught them fucking. She did indicate, by saying "never mind," that what she saw pained her to the point where she couldn't talk about it, at least not with an ex-neighbor of hers (Martin). She had no idea that Martin knew about the incest.

DougntexasDougntexasabout 8 years ago
DougNTexas

Trinaton TV back in the 60's?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
@Dougntexas

The Sony Trinitron CRT Color television was first marketed in 1968, which jibes well with his statement about this story being set in the early years of the Nixon administration, so yeah, his mentioning it was not an anachronism.

MavramornMavramornabout 8 years ago
Really not sure about this story

Narration of this kind of story from a disconnected observer's perspective is not really that hot or arousing; none of the immediacy, intensity, and pure heat of the taboo encounter is transmitted, and there are whole other aspects of the relationship, how it began, how it developed (in detail, showing the long build-up over time, not just the single, partial paragraph with which the author has pretty much condensed the whole start of their story into a few lines), and where and how it culminated, are pretty much outside the purview of the narrator; none of the action, or any build-up to it, could be known to the narrator, so 50% of the story has to remain unknown and unknowable, and that 50% is the important part.

This is a strangely disconnected story, not really erotic, as the narrator has no part in it, and the best he can do is make smug, snide little comments over what he saw, with no understanding or knowledge of why the things he saw happened the way they did, what led up to it, their feelings for each other. Martin and Gale do express their love for each other, but the narrator couldn't possibly have known that, and the writer had to effectively write him out so he could change perspective in mid-stream to shoe-horn in the most important part of the story.

Sorry, but this is a fail, in my book, it should have been written from the perspective of either the brother or the sister from the outset, the peeping tom friend brings no strength to the story, perhaps a second chapter could have shown him being inspired to take a new look at his own sister, and maybe engineer things so he could have the same relationship with her, maybe something she'd always hoped for.

As it is, just talking about it is not the same as doing it, and conveys none of the heated eroticism such an encounter should engender. I like your writing style, I just think the story was rushed and didn't properly address Martin & Gale (who should have been the entire focus of the story, not the disconnected observer) and where they went, what they did, how their family kept together (or fell apart, even) and where their lives went as a couple. 2 stars for losing focus so early in the story.

trigudistrigudisabout 8 years agoAuthor
To Mavramorn

I appreciate you reading my story and especially taking the time for detailed comments. I could have delved deeper and longer into the siblings' relationship but felt it would get too long-winded for what was, after all, a "short" story. You're right - I did condense what brought them to this place thinking that too much background info would bore many of the readers here. Changing the narrative voice gives the reader a different perspective and maybe greater insight into the action. Obviously a novel or novella would cover more.

10towers10towersabout 8 years ago
A sweet story from an unusual perspective

I enjoyed the story, and would have been happy with a 4 or 5 page version. In any case, it is nice the parents accepted, if begrudgingly, their children's relationship. Practically there is no reason they couldn't have children. The genetic issue is long term generation to generation in-breeding, not one set of siblings procreating. I'll look up your other work after enjoying this one and giving it 5 stars.

trigudistrigudisabout 8 years agoAuthor
To 10 Towers:

Thanks for the kind words. Ultimately I decided that the siblings would not have children because of the risk for birth defects.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
5

Stop posting your stories when the asshole of LIT stops comment. THAT WILL AMKE TYHE RAEDERS HAPPY AS HELL> Die you old ugly fat fag annony!

YourOnlineSecretYourOnlineSecretover 7 years ago

I liked the outsider perspective and the period piece setting. It's funny to imagine those two happy siblings would be in blissful old age now! (I had wondered why he'd go to college so far from her until then!)

The change in POV was a little jarring primarily because it only happened once. Maybe another, earlier sequence with it - perhaps Martin justifying to himself his bragging because of how much he loves Gale - would have mitigated that a bit. Regardless, you did a fine job in balancing the family normalcy on one hand and the taboo love on the other. That's not always an easy task!

itchyworms_01itchyworms_01over 5 years ago
Refreshing

It's very interesting to read this kind of story from outsider's pov.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usertrigudis@trigudis
Free-lance writer who enjoys reading mostly non-fiction but also Nicholas Sparks romance novels and "serious" lit (John Updike, Irwin Shaw, Philip Roth, Herman Wouk). I enjoy writing these stories because it entertains me as well as the readership. Lit is unique in that wri...