Perfect Enemy - Final Chapter

Story Info
Husband tries to save Marriage destroyed by sex therapist.
6.1k words
4.09
67.6k
72
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
StoneyWebb
StoneyWebb
2,034 Followers

I received a request from someone who had read my story -- The Movie Star and the Wife. He informed me about another story - a three-part story entitled "Perfect Enemy" by AustCarr. I readily admit that I hadn't read it. Anyway, the person who emailed me asked if I would consider writing a Part 4 to the AustCarr's tale. After reading all three parts, I agreed with many of those who left comments that the story just seemed to hang out there unfinished. It seems that many urged the author to write the fourth segment, but years have passed with nothing. So, I decided that I'd give it a try. Below is how I have envisioned that this story ends.

I received another request very recently saying that AustCarr's three-part story, "Perfect Enemy" doesn't seem to be available any longer. I was asked if I could provide a little bit of a synopsis of the original tale. I have to admit that I don't remember all the details of the first story, but I will try to summarize the first story as best I can.

Dave and Melissa have been married for over a decade, and it has been a loving relationship. However, from Melissa's point of view, she has been inadequate sexually. Melissa feels that she doesn't know enough about sex to really satisfy her husband. So, even though Dave is mare than satisfied with their sex lives, he agrees to go to a sex therapist. There the doctor suggests that they go as a couple to a private swinger's club.

Reluctantly, Dave agrees to go, and is pretty much turned off by the three experiences. He only has sex twice because the third, like him, really didn't want to be there. However, Dave sees that Melissa has really gotten into her sexual partners. Dave leaves their third visit extremely depressed, but he agrees to follow up with the doctor.

At this session, the doctor asks them each to tell what they learned that their partner could do better. Melissa comes to the meeting with a fistful of cards detailing things that Dave can do better. Dave tells Melissa that all he had to say was that his wife was perfect for him in bed.

After that, the dynamic has shifted dramatically in the marriage. Now, Melissa is the one initiating sex, and Dave feels like he has to incorporate the list his wife compiled while they are making love. Sex had now become uncomfortable for Dave, and the story ends with a sense that they are drifting apart with Dave deeply depressed and not sure what to do.

I wrote this story in about two hours and spent about four hours over two days editing it. I apologize if it is a bit rough. The story was returned because I was told that I couldn't submit a story starting with Chapter 4. So, I'm resubmitting it as the final chapter. If that doesn't do it, I may have to change the title. If you see this on the Literotica site, then it was accepted. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I watched Gwen as she rose from her chair and smiled at me. We had just completed a two-hour detailed review of a project I had assigned her. Gwen had done an exceptional job as a whole, but she overlooked some potential problems that should be eliminated upfront. I had to chuckle every time she slapped her head at some of the things I pointed out. I enjoyed working closely with Gwen because she was quick, bright, and good looking. With her long blonde hair pulled back in a ponytail, Gwen almost looked like a teenager. She was, in fact, thirty-four.

"Thanks, Dave," Gwen said as her smile widened. "If there's anything I can do to repay you for all your help, let me know. You've quite literally saved my project from disaster. So, if you need anything, and I do mean anything, give me a shout."

Gwen had been teasing me almost since she started working with the firm. Now I was her boss. At first, it was a friendly and harmless teasing. But lately, I'm getting a weird vibe off her. Gwen knows that I'm married and would never cheat. Well, that's not exactly true, but I'll explain that later. In any event, as far as Gwen is concerned, I am a happily married man, but she doesn't seem care anymore. Maybe she senses my unhappiness. Anyway, if it continues, I'll have to speak to her.

My mind then wandered back, as it did all too often, to my marital problems. Melissa and I had just passed our twelfth wedding anniversary. Even though we had gone out to dinner and made love that night, it all seemed so forced. Our problems began about a year ago. It was then that I allowed Melissa to talk me into going to a sex therapist. It was the biggest mistake of my life. It really knocked the foundation out of our marriage. Oh, I guess we still love each other, sort of. But now, I'm not even sure about that. For me, I no longer feel the same about the two of us, but I'm sure exactly what I feel.

For the first eleven years, I realize now, was wedded bliss compared to what we have become. We had been spontaneous and loving. Neither one of us knew much about sex, having limited experience before we married. But we had learned together, and it got better and better as the years went on. We experimented, watched porn movies, and talked about what we liked and didn't like. Melissa is a beautiful woman with dark hair and eyes. I loved her to bits and thought she loved me the same way. Still, Melissa had this growing insecurity that I would grow tired of her; or find her less desirable. No matter what I did, I could not convince my wife that I loved her unconditionally and wanted nothing more than for her to be happy. And that was why I went along with the idea of going to a sex therapist.

I still don't understand our therapist's advice. In my mind, Dr. Hunter is a complete quack, and I will never understand why she felt we needed to go to the Mixon Match Club. To be blunt, it was nothing more than a private club for swingers. Supposedly, it was to spice up our sex lives. But, in my opinion, our sex lives were fine up until that point. Even though I wasn't keen on the idea, I loved, trusted, and wanted to make my wife happy. I should have put my foot down immediately, but like a fool, I didn't.

We only went to the club three times, and I only went with two women. The third time, I realized the woman was only doing it to please her husband, so I told her we'd pass and tell them that we did it. She was grateful if totally confused by my willingness to forgo her body. And of the two women, I went with, neither of them was anything special. The only saving grace about the whole experience was that my wife was uncomfortable with all three men and didn't fall in love with any of them.

Two things really upset me about the whole thing. First was that God awful feeling each time Melissa went off with another man. But equally as upsetting was the fact that those men pleasured my wife better than I ever had. When we went back to Dr. Hunter's office after our third visit, Melissa had a stack of suggestions on how I could improve her sex life. Up until that point, I thought I was doing pretty damn good.

I wasn't nasty during that visit, but I let Melissa and Dr. Hunter know that I was really upset. I mean, learning from my wife that my sexual ability was only average at best cut deep. Over the following week, I got to the point where I didn't want to go back for our last visit. Only Melissa begging got me to give in. After the meeting, I'm guessing that Melissa, and definitely Dr. Hunter, wished I hadn't attended.

"I know things were a little rocky for you after our last session, Dave," she began with a smile. "So, have things improved for you both this week?"

"I think we're doing good," Melissa said with a tentative smile.

"I'm glad you're happy," I said, slumping in my chair, staring at the wall behind the doctor.

"Dave, you never said anything," Melissa said as she grabbed my arm, and when I looked at her, she seemed stricken.

"That's because I'm using you're cue cards to tell me how to have sex with you," I said sarcastically. "I must be doing it right because you seem very pleased with my performance."

Melissa let go of my arm, and tears began to slide down her cheeks.

"Please, Dave, I'm really sorry about the cards," she pleaded. "I thought you were going to have a bunch of suggestions for me. The very last thing I wanted to do was to hurt you."

"Dave, I understand your feelings of insecurity," Dr. Hunter interjected.

I cut her off immediately. "You don't have a fucking clue about me, Doctor."

"It's natural to feel a little threatened at first," she began again.

"I'm not fucking threatened," I almost yelled.

Dr. Hunter seemed to pale and started to twist her pen nervously. She stared at me for a few seconds and then looked over at Melissa. It seemed to me that she was looking for some sort of support from my wife. But that wasn't going to happen because Melissa had started to cry.

"Dave, over time, these feelings will fade," Dr. Hunter tried again.

"Doctor, you're a joke," I sneered at her. "You just don't get it. You've taken a perfectly good marriage and totally fucked up everything. You are a terrible doctor. Really, they should take your license away.

Dr. Hunter's mouth was open, but no sounds were coming out. She was trembling slightly, and her breathing had turned into shuddering gasps. She struggled to find some way to get control of the session, but I wasn't going to let her.

"How the hell do you recommend that a perfectly happy couple go out and sleep with strangers. You're worse than a quack; you're dangerous."

"Dave, I think you're overreacting," the doctor tried once again to re-establish her control. But fat chance I'd let that happen.

"Remember when you told us about that affair you had. The one where your short-term lover put his hands on your throat, and it turned you on. Then you went back to your husband and maneuvered him into incorporating that into your lovemaking. Well, I gave your husband a call and told him about your affair. He wasn't too happy, and when you get home tonight, he expects a full explanation. He isn't going to start the conversation because I told him I was going to tell you. So, if you don't talk it out with him, I hope you know a good divorce lawyer."

At that, the doctor let out a stifled sob and fled the room.

I looked over at Melissa, who was staring at me in confusion and a little fear. Tears were still streaming down her face. Suddenly, I felt like my world had turned completely upside down, and I was very sad. What I had just done wasn't at all like me. I'd brought two women to tears and heartache, and I didn't care. Of course, I hadn't called the doctor's husband. I had no idea how to get in touch with him. But I certainly hit a nerve with Dr. Hunter. How stupid of her to tell us about that betrayal? I should have known right then that this was not a person to be trusted.

"I guess the session is over," I said calmly as I got up.

Neither one of us said anything on the way home. And for the following week, we were tiptoeing around each other. Finally, I settled down as I let some of my anger go. Things slowly went back to our new normal, including sex, but not nearly as much as before. And I continued to use the cue card suggestions to enhance Melissa's pleasure. But there was definitely something missing between us. I felt it, and I was pretty sure that Melissa felt it as well.

Melissa kept telling me that she loved me, but it was becoming harder and harder for me to believe it. I think that Melissa also felt a fading of our love. I know that she tried, but with me doing it by the numbers, especially when Melissa had learned those things from other men, it just left me cold. We no longer did anything spontaneously. Just out of the blue, I used to hug her, steal a kiss, pat her backside, or tell her how beautiful she was. It was all spur of the moment, and I know Melissa waited for those moments, but I just couldn't do them anymore. When she pressed, maybe I'd give her a peck on the cheek. I felt that all those gestures no longer meant anything.

I used to be the instigator of sex, but now I waited for Melissa to start, and then I would perform. But I found myself trying to spend less and less time with my wife. And ever since the end of the sex therapy, there had been no more talk of having children. Melissa never brought it up, and neither did I. I felt that now Melissa didn't want to have my children. I kept wondering when Melissa would finally make the decision that I wasn't enough.

One plus from this mess that swirled in my personal life was that I had thrown myself into my job, and I had excelled. I was now the Vice President of Operations. The distance between my wife and me had grown such that I didn't even tell her. I didn't think she'd care. In fact, the additional money I was making was going into an account with my name only. I was preparing for the inevitable day when we would split-up.

Despite my success at work, it felt like my life was spiraling out of control. With a shake of my head, I turned my attention back to my desk. I finished up a few things still pending, and with a sigh, headed home. When I got there, Melissa was sitting in the living room. Usually, she'd be in the kitchen, getting dinner ready.

"Dave, we need to talk," she said very quietly.

I was not surprised. This meeting was inevitable. It brought to mind the numerous times I had thought about separating and getting a divorce. But two things kept me from doing it. First, I still loved Melissa, even though it didn't feel the same from her. But the second reason was the biggest, I didn't want to hurt her. But now, maybe it was time to pull the plug.

"Okay," I said as I sat down. It was then that I could see that Melissa's eyes were red and puffy. Apparently, she had been crying quite a bit.

"Dave," she said with her voice trembling. "things haven't been right between us since we went to that stupid matching club. I think we need some time apart. I think we should separate and prepare to divorce."

"Okay," I said and stood up. "I'll pack a bag and get a room for the night. When I have a place, I get the rest of my stuff."

Surprise and anger flooded over Melissa's face. "Don't you want to discuss it first?"

"What's to discuss?" I said a lot calmer than I felt. Even though I had thought about doing the very same thing, now that Melissa had put it out there, it hurt. Still, I believed it was for the best. It wasn't fair to Melissa for us to stay married when she could find someone better than me. "You're right; that whole swapping club thing tore out the heart of our marriage, at least for me. I can't seem to get past it. So, perhaps it's best if we separate, and we probably should date other people as well."

"Fine, I think it's for the best also," Melissa said with anger in her eyes. Then she marched into the kitchen. I took that opportunity to go up and pack a bag. When I came down, I heard the water running in the kitchen sink.

I tapped on the doorframe to the kitchen.

"What do you want," she snarled without looking at me.

"I just wanted to let you know I'm leaving."

"Fine, the sooner, the better," Melissa's voice was cold and angrier. "I'm tired of you mopping around. I want to get on with my life."

I didn't say anything. I just left.

I found a motel for the night and called in for a day off to hunt for an apartment. All the while, Melissa never called once. I decided it was for the best and put off talking to her until I was settled.

I found an apartment not too far from my office, so I took a six-month lease on it. Next, I went to a furniture rental store and got the necessary furnishings. Then it was off to a thrift store for dishes, silverware, glasses, cups, and whatever else I needed.

The following day, I was back at my desk. The first call I made was to Melissa.

"Dave," she answered on the first ring. "I want to apologize for the way I acted. This has been hard for both of us. When do you want us to divorce?" There was a pause for a second or two, and then Melissa asked, "Did you leave because you already have someone else?"

It was the last question that set my mind spinning. I'd only been gone a day, and already I had a girlfriend? But I decided to answer the questions and move on.

"Melissa, it's okay," I said softly, "Everything you said was spot on. I have been a terrible husband. I'll leave the divorce up to you. If you wish, you can have me served whenever. I won't contest it. And no, Melissa, I don't have a girlfriend. I've only been gone for a day."

"But the way we've been drifting apart, I thought maybe you had already decided to move on from me."

"No, I can assure you that I don't have a girlfriend. But what I called for was to give you my new address, and more than that, I wanted to apologize also," I said. "I haven't been fair to you for the past year. You have really tried to make me get past my inadequacies. It's my fault that I can't, and I don't know why that is."

"Dave, maybe we could go to a marriage counselor?" Melissa asked.

"After my last experience with a therapist, I think I'll pass."

"Please, Dave, I don't like this. My life is so unsettled."

"Look, Melissa," I offered to calm her fears. "Don't worry about any of the bills. I'll take care of everything. I'll also put extra money into our checking account. If you need more, just let me know."

"It isn't about the damn money," Melissa said angrily. "It's about us."

"You're absolutely right," I said wearily, "it is about us. But until I can figure me out, there can't be an us. Look, I've got to go, I have a meeting. I call you in a few days to see how you're doing."

That conversation was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. I discovered that morning that I did, indeed, still love Melissa, and it hurt badly to think of us apart. Still, I didn't know if my love was the same as it was when we got married or if it was just me unwilling to see Melissa with someone else? In any event, I decided that what I wanted didn't matter.

I moved through the day in a fog. We got done what we needed to do, but everyone in the office knew something was wrong with me. But it was Gwen who put the question to me.

"What's going on with you, boss? Anything a good massage won't cure," she said with a teasing smile.

"I guess it won't be a secret for long," I said, resigned to just let the cat out of the bag. "Melissa and I have separated."

"Really, I'm so sorry," Gwen offered, but I could tell that she wasn't at all sorry.

"Yeah, we separated so that we can see what our true feelings are for each other. Melissa's probably going to file for divorce."

"Well, if she doesn't want you," Gwen smiled. "put me on the list of those who do. I'll take you in a heartbeat."

"Thanks," I said with a sad smile. "You're the first one on the list."

The days melted into a week. My second call to Melissa after I had moved out did not go well. She was now pissed. The gist of the call was that she intended to find someone else. When I told her that might be a good idea, she surprisingly backpedaled. But by that point, I was pissed.

"I think maybe we should go out with other people. Let's face it, neither of us dated much before we got married. Maybe you'll find someone who's better in bed."

"Fuck you!" Melissa yelled, slamming the phone down.

I really felt bad after the cheat shot. I thought about calling Melissa back and apologizing. Then I decided that another call might just make her angrier. For some reason, one of the questions Melissa had asked me kept rattling around in my head. Did I have a girlfriend? Why would she care?

The nonsense with the partner swapping was triggered by Melissa's insecurity about her sexual performance. Back then, she had been very insecure about my love and her desirability. Now our roles had switched, and I was the one feeling inadequate and wondering if my wife could still love me with my shortcomings.

StoneyWebb
StoneyWebb
2,034 Followers
12