Philosophical transactions, Vol. L. Part II. For the year 1758.

Story Info
111.4k words
10
00
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

TRANSACTIONS, ***

Transcriber’s Note

Variable spelling and hyphenation have been retained. Minor punctuation inconsistencies have been silently repaired. The Errata of the original edition have been corrected. Other changes made can be found at the end of the book. Formatting and special characters are indicated as follows:

[Sidenotes] _italic_ +spaced font+ =bold=

PHILOSOPHICAL TRANSACTIONS, GIVING SOME ACCOUNT OF THE Present Undertakings, Studies, _and_ Labours, OF THE INGENIOUS, IN MANY Considerable Parts of the WORLD.

VOL. L. +PART II.+ For the Year 1758.

_LONDON_:

Printed for +L. DAVIS+ and +C. REYMERS+, Printers to the +ROYAL SOCIETY+, against _Gray’s-Inn Gate_, in _Holbourn_.

M.DCC.LIX.

THE CONTENTS TO PART II. VOLUME L.

LIX. _AN Account of the Effects of Electricity in paralytic Cases. In a Letter to_ John Pringle, _M. D. F.R.S. from_ Benjamin Franklin, _Esq; F.R.S._ p. 481.

LX. _Observations on the late Comet in_ September _and_ October _1757; made at the_ Hague _by Mr._ D. Klinkenberg: _In a Letter to the Rev._ James Bradley, _D. D. Astronomer Royal, and F.R.S. and Member of the Royal Academy of Sciences at_ Paris. _Translated from the_ Low Dutch. p. 483.

LXI. _Remarks on the different Temperature of the Air at_ Edystone, _from that observed at_ Plymouth, _between the 7th and 14th of_ July _1757. By Mr._ John Smeaton, _F.R.S._ p. 488.

LXII. _An Account of the Earthquake felt in the Island of_ Sumatra, _in the_ East Indies, _in_ November _and_ December _1756. In a Letter from Mr._ Perry _to the Rev. Dr._ Stukeley, _dated at_ Fort Marlborough, _in the Island of_ Sumatra, Feb. _20. 1757. Communicated by the Rev._ Wm. Stukeley, _M. D. F.R.S._ p. 491.

LXIII. _Concerning the Fall of Water under Bridges. By Mr._ J. Robertson, _F.R.S._ p. 492.

LXIV. _An Account of the Earthquake in the West Parts of_ Cornwall, July _15th 1757. By the Rev._ William Borlase, _M. A. F.R.S. Communicated by the Rev._ Charles Lyttelton, _LL. D. Dean of_ Exeter, _F.R.S._ p. 499.

LXV. _Some Observations upon the Sleep of Plants; and an Account of that Faculty, which_ Linnæus _calls_ Vigiliæ Florum; _with an Enumeration of several Plants, which are subject to that Law. Communicated to_ Wm. Watson, _M. D. F.R.S. by Mr._ Richard Pulteney _of_ Leicester. p. 506.

LXVI. _An Account of the Case of a Boy troubled with convulsive Fits cured by the Discharge of Worms. By the Rev._ Richard Oram, _M. A. Chaplain to the Lord Bishop of_ Ely. p. 518.

_An Account of the same Subject, in a Letter from Mr._ John Gaze, _of_ Walket, _in the County of_ Norfolk, _to Mr._ Wm. Arderon, _F.R.S. Communicated by Mr._ Henry Baker, _F.R.S._ p. 521.

LXVII. _An Account of the extraordinary Heat of the Weather in_ July _1757, and of the Effects of it. In a Letter from_ John Huxham, _M. D. F.R.S. to_ Wm. Watson, _M. D. F.R.S._ p. 523.

LXVIII. _An Account of the fossile Thigh-bone of a large Animal, dug up at_ Stonesfield, _near_ Woodstock, _in Oxfordshire. In a Letter to Mr._ Peter Collinson, _F.R.S. from Mr._ Joshua Platt. p. 524.

LXIX. _A Discourse of the Usefulness of Inoculation of the horned Cattle to prevent the contagious Distemper among them. In a Letter to the Right Hon._ George _Earl of_ Macclesfield, _P. R. S. from_ Daniel Peter Layard, _M. D. F.R.S._ p. 528.

LXX. _Trigonometry abridged. By the Rev._ Patrick Murdoch, _A. M. F.R.S._ p. 538.

LXXI. _An Account of Two extraordinary Cases of Gall-Stones. By_ James Johnstone, _M. D. of_ Kidderminster. _Communicated by the Rev._ Charles Lyttelton, _LL. D. Dean of_ Exeter. p. 543.

LXXII. _A remarkable Case of Cohesions of all the intestines_, &c. _in a Man of about Thirty-four years of Age who died sometime last Summer, and afterwards fell under the Inspection of Mr._ Nicholas Jenty. p. 550.

LXXIII. _Of the best Form of Geographical Maps. By the Rev._ Patrick Murdoch, _M. A. F.R.S._ p. 553.

LXXIV. _A short Dissertation on Maps and Charts: In a Letter to the Rev._ Thomas Birch, _D. D. and Sec. R. S. By Mr._ William Mountaine, _F.R.S._ p. 563.

LXXV. _Cases of the remarkable Effects of Blisters in lessening the Quickness of the Pulse in Coughs, attended with Infarction of the Lungs and Fever: By_ Robert Whytt, _M. D. F.R.S. Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, and Professor of Medicine in the University of_ Edinburgh. p. 569.

LXXVI. _A remarkable Instance of Four rough Stones, that were discovered in an human urinary Bladder, contrary to the received Opinion; and successfully extracted by the lateral Method of Cutting for the Stone. By Mr._ Joseph Warner, _F.R.S. and Surgeon to_ Guy’s-Hospital. p. 579.

LXXVII. _Observations on the_ Limax non cochleata Purpuram ferens, _The naked Snail producing Purple. By_ John Andrew Peyssonel, _M. D. F.R.S. Translated from the_ French. p. 585.

LXXVIII. _New Observations upon the Worms that form Sponges. By_ John Andrew Peyssonel, _M. D. F.R.S. Translated from the_ French. p. 590.

LXXIX. _Account of an Experiment, by which it appears, that Salt of Steel does not enter the Lacteal Vessels; with Remarks. In a Letter to the Rev._ Thomas Birch, _D. D. Secret. R. S. By_ Edward Wright, _M. D._ p. 594.

LXXX. _A Dissertation on the Antiquity of Glass in Windows. In a Letter to the Rev._ Tho. Birch, _D. D. Secret. R. S. By the Rev._ John Nixon, _M. A. F.R.S._ p. 601.

LXXXI. _An Account of an extraordinary Case of the Efficacy of the Bark in the Delirium of a Fever. By_ Nicˢ. Munckley, _M. D. Physician to_ Guy’s-Hospital, _and F.R.S._ p. 609.

LXXXII. _An Account of an Earthquake felt at_ Lingfield _in_ Surrey, _and_ Edenbridge _in_ Kent, _on the 24th of_ January _1758. By_ James Burrow, _Esq; R. S. V. P._ p. 614.

LXXXIII. _An Account of the Case of the First Joint of a Thumb torn off, with the Flexor Tendon in its whole Extent torn out. By_ Robert Home, _late Surgeon to the Thirtieth Regiment of Foot, and Surgeon at_ Kingston upon Hull. _In a Letter to_ John Pringle, _M. D. F.R.S._ p. 617.

LXXXIV. _An Account of the late Discoveries of Antiquities at_ Herculaneum, _and of an Earthquake there; in a Letter from_ Camillo Paderni, _Keeper of the Museum at_ Herculaneum, _and F.R.S. to_ Tho. Hollis, _Esq; F.R.S. dated_ Portici, Feb. _1. 1758._ p. 619.

LXXXV. _A further Attempt to facilitate the Resolution of Isoperimetrical Problems. By Mr._ Thomas Simpson, _F.R.S._ p. 623.

LXXXVI. _Observations on the_ Alga Marina latifolia; _The Sea Alga with broad Leaves. By_ John Andrew Peyssonel, _M. D. F.R.S. Translated from the_ French. p. 631.

LXXXVII. _An Account of the distilling Water fresh from Sea-Water by Wood-Ashes. By Capt._ William Chapman: _In a Letter to_ John Fothergill, _M. D._ p. 635.

LXXXVIII. _Observatio Eclipsis Lunaris facta_ Matriti _a Pª._ Joanne Wendlingen, _Societatis_ Jesu, _in Regali Observatorio Collegii Imperialis ejusdem Societatis, Die 30_ Julii _1757_. p. 640.

_Observatio Eclipsis Lunaris, facta ab eodem, eodem modo, eodem loco, iisdemque instrumentis, Die 24_ Januar. _Anni 1758._ p. 642.

LXXXIX. _Observations upon a slight Earthquake, tho’ very particular, which may lead to the Knowlege of the Cause of great and violent ones, that ravage whole Countries, and overturn Cities. By_ John Andrew Peyssonel, _M. D. F.R.S. Translated from the_ French. p. 645.

XC. _A Catalogue of the_ Fifty Plants _from_ Chelsea Garden, _presented to the_ Royal Society _by the worshipful Company of Apothecaries, for the Year 1757, pursuant to the Direction of Sir_ Hans Sloane, _Baronet, Med. Reg. & Soc. Reg. nuper Præses, by_ John Wilmer, _M. D. clariss. Societatis Pharmaceut._ Lond. _Socius, Hort._ Chelsean. _Præfectus & Prælector Botanic._ p. 648.

XCI. _An Historical Memoir concerning a Genus of Plants called_ Lichen _by_ Michelli, Haller, _and_ Linnæus; _and comprehended by_ Dillenius _under the Terms_ Usnea, Coralloides, _and_ Lichenoides: _Tending principally to illustrate their several Uses. Communicated by_ William Watson, _M. D. F.R.S._ p. 652.

XCII. _An Account of the fossil Bones of an Allegator, found on the Sea-shore, near_ Whitby _in_ Yorkshire: _In a Letter to_ John Fothergill, _M. D. from Capt._ William Chapman. p. 688.

XCIII. _De rariori quadam_ Orthoceratitis _Specie, in_ Suecia _reperta, tractatus: in literis a_ Nicholao de Himsel, _M. D._ Riga Livono, _ad_ Gul. Watson, _M. D. R. S. S._ p. 692.

XCIV. _A further Account of the Effects of Electricity in the Cure of some Diseases: In a Letter from Mr._ Patrick Brydone _to Dr._ Robert Whytt, _Professor of Medicine in the University of_ Edinburgh, _and F.R.S._ p. 695.

XCV. _An Account of the Black Assize at_ Oxford, _from the Register of_ Merton College _in that University. Communicated by_ John Ward, _LL. D. With some additional Remarks._ p. 699.

XCVI. _A Description of the Plan of_ Peking, _the Capital of_ China; _sent to the Royal Society by Father_ Gaubil, è Societate Jesu. _Translated from the_ French. p. 704.

XCVII. _An Attempt to improve the Manner of working the Ventilators by the Help of the Fire-Engine. In a Letter to_ Tho. Birch, _D. D. Secret. R. S. from_ Keane Fitz-Gerald, _Esq; F.R.S._ p. 727.

XCVIII. _An Account of some Experiments concerning the different Refrangibility of Light. By Mr._ John Dollond. _With a Letter from_ James Short, _M. A. F.R.S. Acad. Reg. Suec. Soc._ p. 733.

XCIX. _An Account of some extraordinary Effects arising from Convulsions; being Part of a Letter to_ John Huxham, _M. D. and F.R.S. from_ William Watson, _M. D. R. S. S._ p. 743.

C. _An Account of an extraordinary Storm of Hail in_ Virginia. _By_ Francis Fauquier, _Esq; Lieutenant Governor of_ Virginia, _and F.R.S. Communicated by_ William Fauquier, _Esq; F.R.S._ p. 746.

CI. _An Account of an extraordinary Case of a diseased Eye: In a Letter to_ Matthew Maty, _M. D. F.R.S. By_ Daniel Peter Layard, _M. D. F.R.S._ p. 747.

CII. _An Account of the Heat of the Weather in_ Georgia: _In a Letter from his Excellency_ Henry Ellis, _Esq; Governor of_ Georgia, _and F.R.S. to_ John Ellis, _Esq; F.R.S._ p. 754.

CIII. _The Invention of a General Method for determining the Sum of every 2d, 3d, 4th, or 5th_, &c. _Term of a Series, taken in order, the Sum of the whole Series being known. By_ Thomas Simpson, _F.R.S._ p. 757.

CIV. _Observatio Eclipsis Lunæ Die 30_ Julii _1757. habita_ Olissipone _à_ Joanne Chevalier, _Congregationis Oratorii Presbytero, è Regiâ_ Londinensi _Societate. Communicated by_ Jacob de Castro Sarmiento, _M. D. F.R.S._ p. 769.

CV. _Singular Observations upon the_ Manchenille Apple. _By_ John Andrew Peyssonel, _M. D. F.R.S. Translated from the_ French. p. 772.

CVI. _Abstract of a Letter from Mr._ William Arderon, _F.R.S. to Mr._ Henry Baker, _F.R.S. on the giving Magnetism and Polarity to Brass. Communicated by Mr._ Baker. p. 774.

CVII. _An Account of the_ Sea Polypus, _by Mr._ Henry Baker, _F.R.S._ p. 777.

CVIII. _A Description of the fossil Skeleton of an Animal found in the Alum Rock near_ Whitby. _By Mr._ Wooller. _Communicated by_ Charles Morton, _M. D. F.R.S._ p. 786.

CIX. _A Dissertation on the_ Phœnician _Numeral Characters antiently used at_ Sidon. _In a Letter to the Rev._ Tho. Birch, _D. D. Secret. R. S. from the Rev._ John Swinton, _M. A. of_ Christ-Church, Oxon. _F.R.S._ p. 791.

CX. _Of the Irregularities in the Motion of a Satellite arising from the Spheroidical Figure of its Primary Planet: In a Letter to the Rev._ James Bradley, _D. D. Astronomer Royal, F.R.S. and Member of the Royal Academy of Sciences at_ Paris; _by Mr._ Charles Walmesley, _F.R.S. and Member of the Royal Academy of Sciences at_ Berlin, _and of the Institute at_ Bologna. p. 809.

CXI. _Some Observations on the History of the_ Norfolk Boy. _By_ J. Wall, _M. D. In a Letter to the Rev._ Charles Lyttelton, _LL. D. Dean of_ Exeter. p. 836.

CXII. _Observations upon the_ Corona Solis Marina Americana; _The_ American Sea-Sun-Crown. _By_ John Andrew Peyssonel, _M. D. F.R.S._ p. 843.

CXIII. _An Account of several rare Species of Barnacles. In a Letter to Mr._ Isaac Romilly, _F.R.S. from_ John Ellis, _Esq; F.R.S._ p. 845.

CXIV. _A further Account of the poisonous Effects of the_ Oenanthe Aquatica Succo viroso crocante _of_ Lobel, _or Hemlock Dropwort. By_ W. Watson, _M. D. F.R.S._ p. 856.

CXV. _Extract of a Letter to_ John Eaton Dodsworth, _Esq; from Dr._ George Forbes _of_ Bermuda, _relating to the_ Patella, _or_ Limpet Fish, _found there_. p. 859.

CXVI. _A Discourse on the_ Cinnamon, Cassia, _or_ Canella. _By_ Taylor White, _Esq; F.R.S._ p. 860.

LIX. _An Account of the Effects of Electricity in paralytic Cases. In a Letter to_ John Pringle, _M. D. F.R.S. from_ Benjamin Franklin, _Esq; F.R.S._

[Read Jan. 12, 1758.]

SIR,

THE following is what I can at present recollect, relating to the effects of electricity in paralytic cases, which have fallen under my observation.

Some years since, when the news-papers made mention of great cures performed in Italy or Germany, by means of electricity, a number of paralytics were brought to me from different parts of Pensylvania, and the neighbouring provinces, to be electrised; which I did for them at their request. My method was, to place the patient first in a chair, on an electric stool, and draw a number of large strong sparks from all parts of the affected limb or side. Then I fully charged two six-gallon glass jars, each of which had about three square feet of surface coated; and I sent the united shock of these thro’ the affected limb or limbs; repeating the stroke commonly three times each day. The first thing observed was an immediate greater sensible warmth in the lame limbs, that had received the stroke, than in the others: and the next morning the patients usually related, that they had in the night felt a pricking sensation in the flesh of the paralytic limbs; and would sometimes shew a number of small red spots, which they supposed were occasioned by those prickings. The limbs too were found more capable of voluntary motion, and seemed to receive strength. A man, for instance, who could not the first day lift the lame hand from off his knee, would the next day raise it four or five inches, the third day higher; and on the fifth day was able, but with a feeble languid motion, to take off his hat. These appearances gave great spirits to the patients, and made them hope a perfect cure; but I do not remember, that I ever saw any amendment after the fifth day: which the patients perceiving, and finding the shocks pretty severe, they became discouraged, went home, and in a short time relapsed; so that I never knew any advantage from electricity in palsies, that was permanent. And how far the apparent temporary advantage might arise from the exercise in the patients journey, and coming daily to my house, or from the spirits given by the hope of success, enabling them to exert more strength in moving their limbs, I will not pretend to say.

Perhaps some permanent advantage might have been obtained, if the electric shocks had been accompanied with proper medicine and regimen, under the direction of a skilful physician. It may be, too, that a few great strokes, as given in my method, may not be so proper as many small ones; since, by the account from Scotland of a case, in which two hundred shocks from a phial were given daily, it seems, that a perfect cure has been made. As to any uncommon strength supposed to be in the machine used in that case, I imagine it could have no share in the effect produced; since the strength of the shock from charged glass is in proportion to the quantity of surface of the glass coated; so that my shocks from those large jars must have been much greater than any, that could be received from a phial held in the hand.

I am, with great respect,

SIR, Your most obedient Servant, R. Franklin.

London, Dec. 21, 1757.

LX. _Observations on the late Comet in_ September _and_ October 1757; _made at the_ Hague _by Mr._ D. Klinkenberg: _In a Letter to the Rev._ James Bradley, _D. D. Astronomer Royal, and F.R.S. and Member of the Royal Academy of Sciences at_ Paris. _Translated from the_ Low Dutch.

[Read Jan. 12, 1758.]

SIR,

I Hope you will be pleased to excuse the liberty, which I take, of troubling you with my observations on the comet, which made its appearance here, and in other parts of Europe, in the months of September and October last; and which, according to the news-papers, was first observed the 11th September by Mr. Gartner, at Dorlkeurtz near Dresden; then, by me, on the 16th of the said Month, here in the Hague; and afterwards in different places. As I find, that you have observed the comet, I doubt not but that you have done it in the most accurate manner; and my great love for this science induces me to beg, that I may have the happiness of knowing some of your observations. My good friend Mr. Struyk at Amsterdam wrote me some time ago, that he intended to ask the same favour of you; but I have not since heard any further from him. I observed this comet from Septemb. 16th in the morning, until Octob. the 11th in the morning; and found its situations, according to my method, as follows: