Pioneer Village

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I know but.... We killed those men. Don't any of you feel bad about that at all?"

Jim roused himself and yelled, "Dottie that's enough! We did what we had to do. I imagine all of us feels somewhat bad about killing those men but it was either them or us. You know they shot Josh from behind for no reason. After they got here, they held guns on us and tried force us off our land, then tried to shoot Marty and the rest of us. We did what was necessary and protected ourselves. Even if there was law around here do you want Callie to go to jail? Or me or Marty? I'm pretty sure I killed one of those men and I know Callie killed Randy. You have to toughen up and get over it." That seemed to take the last of Jim's energy and he settled back into his bed once again with a moan. Dottie rushed up to him and knelt as she wiped tears from her face.

The rest of the afternoon, what little of it was left, was spent planning for the next few days work. They all agreed to work at each families' place one day then move to another's the next day, turn and turn about until all the houses and barns were done and the first year's crops were in. There was some discussion about how to fit Callie in to the rotation with Harvey wanting to lump her in with her parents since she was a Carter and not married. The majority agreed that since she had filed on a separate piece of ground legally that she should get a full day's work in rotation.

They drew straws to determine the order of the rotation with Harvey and Joan going first, then Callie, Marty, Jim and finally the Talley's. Each family would determine the priority of the work performed. Most of them wanted a field plowed for some crops and a large garden before beginning construction of their houses. The barns would be built after everyone had a place to live. After building barns necessary fences would be built.

Marty wanted to split the work, putting in his garden and grain at the same time they built his barn. Since they weren't going to build a house for him at the time, they agreed to build his barn in the first rotation so he could move into his Conex. Callie decided that was a good idea and did the same while the rest opted for planting first, then build a house, then out buildings.

The remainder of the summer was spent on crops, gardens and building. The time they spent on Marty's buildings was almost all spent cutting and trimming logs that he intended to let season for almost a year drying before he built his house with them. They did put up a barn and build some fences for his animals since those buildings didn't have to be as tight as a house would need to be.

Callie opted for not much more than a small shack and a shed in which she would keep her riding horse. She also put out a small field of oats, one of wheat and some corn along with a small garden patch in order to meet all the requirements of the homestead laws.

By the time winter rolled around, all the families were settled into their new homes. They had a great harvest and had preserved more than enough food to carry them through the winter. They were lucky Alabama normally had mild winters but they were sure they could make it through with ease even without the modern conveniences they once had. None of the families were particularly religious but they began a tradition of getting together every Sunday at mid-morning to discuss the week ended, the next week and have the noon meal together.

All through the winter Marty worked gathering rocks and stones to build with and cutting still more trees for the same purpose. He decided he was going to build a water powered mill for grain and power as well as try to build a small sawmill using water from his stream and waterfall.

Marty and Callie saw each other nearly every day at one place or another. Sometimes she would ride to where he was working at noon and have lunch with him. He found himself looking forward to her visits and dreading her departure. One day in early March, Callie wandered into Marty's yard earlier than usual. She found him without his shirt leveling the area he selected for his home to make the floor level.

Marty looked up and smiled when he saw Callie. He said, "Good morning beautiful. You're earlier than usual. Why the sad expression?"

Callie sat on a nearby log and looked at Marty before she answered. "Marty, what's wrong with me? Why don't men like me? Why don't YOU like me?" She broke out in tears as she said that.

Marty rushed to Callie and sat beside her. He wrapped his arm around her and said, "As far as I know there is nothing wrong with you. I can't speak for other men but I like you a lot. You're probably my best friend in this time. What makes you think there's something wrong with you?"

"You have never even kissed me and you certainly haven't tried to get me into bed. I've done everything but grab you and you just treat me like... Like a FRIEND! Can't you see I'm a woman? What's WRONG with me? Why have you just assigned me to the friend zone? Now I know how boys used to feel when one of my friends wouldn't date them because she thought they were friends."

Marty felt a strange grip in his stomach, perhaps even a bit of an upset stomach when he heard Callie say those words. My God, he thought. I'm almost ten years older than she is. Can't she see what the problem is? Besides, is she or can she be more than just a friend?

Marty licked his lips and tried to think of an answer. Finally, he said, "Callie you ARE my friend. So are your mother and father. From what I can see you will make some man a great wife sometime. I hope I can find someone with your strength and personality when I find time to search for another wife. I've had one wonderful wife and know how great a relationship can be. Sure, she was flighty and obviously careless but I loved her dearly. I want that again, but Callie look at the difference in our ages. I grant you it isn't much but our life experiences enter into it too. Besides, what would your parents think? They..."

Marty heard a noise of movement behind him and he almost fell onto the ground looking for something to hide behind as he drew his pistol. His reflexes were sharpening already in tune with this new reality. Strange noises could represent danger, life threatening danger. Before he located the noise that he finally identified as footsteps he heard Dottie say, "I don't know about her father but her mother thinks you're a dumb ass. Can't you see how much Callie loves you, you idiot? Why do you think she comes over here every day? Why do you think she wanted the ground next to yours? Why do you think she brings you food and helps as much as she can?

"Marty, women in this time marry young; younger even than Callie. Here she would be considered an old maid. Many of them marry men much older than they are too. If the age difference is what's stopping you then forget about it. If you don't love my daughter please have the decency to tell her so she can try to get you out of her mind and find someone who will."

Callie turned to face her mother and said, "MOTHER! What do you think you're doing?"

"Trying to help my dumb assed daughter. After our talk when you ran off crying, I followed you to see if I could help. When you took off for here, I followed. Now, one way or another, I hope I've helped. He'll either come to his senses or he won't but at least now, if he didn't know before, he knows now how you feel and has to do something about it."

Dottie looked over at Marty and said, "Well Dumb Ass, the ball's in your court now." After she glared at Marty for a moment she turned and walked off, quickly getting out of sight.

Marty sat on the ground looking toward where Dottie disappeared until he heard Callie rise and start to move off. He watched her for a moment until she was almost out of sight then, with an oath, he rose and ran after her. He caught her at the foot of the hill and grabbed her.

Callie jerked her arm and said, "Let me go! Just leave me alone please. I'm so embarrassed."

Marty pulled Callie into an embrace and said, "Callie, honey, there's nothing for you to be embarrassed about. If anyone is or should be embarrassed it is me. For the last several months I've enjoyed your company greatly. I love it when you come see me and hate it when you go but, well, I guess besides the age thing, I did have you in the friend zone. I'm not sure what I feel for you other than that but I suppose we do owe it to ourselves to see."

Marty leaned down and gave her a gentle kiss. Callie sighed and relaxed against Marty, just letting him hold her as she enjoyed being in his embrace. Marty marveled at how soft and cuddly she felt while he appreciated her muscles at the same time. No one knows how long they stood there, certainly not them, before Marty's stomach let out a loud growl.

Callie laughed and pushed away from Marty. She reached for and took his hand before she began leading him toward his house site. She smiled and said, "Come on. I have our lunch in my pack. What would Mom think if she found out I let my man starve to death?"

Over the next several weeks Marty and Callie embarked on a new phase of their relationship. They spent many of the nights together and much of each day. Marty admitted the sex was good but there was just something missing, at least for him. He liked to talk to and work with Callie, she was a good cook and an enthusiastic sex partner but there was just something... Callie gave off strange signals. On the surface, she said and did all the right things but he got the feeling things were off. There weren't the little touches, the glances that said, "I love you".

Finally, one day when he felt the distance especially strongly Marty said, "Callie what's wrong? This doesn't feel right. You're distant, like you're somewhere else in your mind at least."

Callie looked at him and said, "Nothing's wrong." She stood and began to undress as she continued talking, "Come on, let me show you."

For some reason her attitude seemed to irritate Marty. He looked at her and noticed her nipples were almost flat against her breasts. He glanced down and her pussy looked almost dry. He said, "This is part of what I mean. It seems your answer to most of our non-work interaction is sex. Look at yourself. You're not aroused at all, or are only slightly so. It's almost like that's your answer to all our interaction. I get the feeling you think, well, I guess I need to give Marty some sex now, it's time. Oh, sure, sometimes I can tell you're horny when we make love but it still seems as if we're just screwing, not actually making love."

Callie's face and torso flushed bright red when she heard Marty. Her eyes flashed and she grabbed her clothes. As she was dressing, she began yelling, "Well what else is there? We work our asses off every day and then if I'm lucky I get some dick. Mostly we're both too tired to do anything else anyway, even if there was something else to do. Besides, isn't that what you want? All men just want to stick their cock into a woman, get a nut then move on to something else."

"NO Callie. That's not what I want, or at least it's not all I want. I want a loving relationship in all aspects. I want to enjoy just being with my woman, touching, talking, working with her and yes, making love WITH her. I want children and I want them to grow up in a loving household. I really don't think we have that."

By then Callie was dressed. She headed for her home as she snarled, "No, I suppose we don't. You make it sound like you expect the little woman to be at your beck and call at your every whim. Well, you can forget that. I'm outta here. I'm sure I can find someone who will appreciate what I have. You can just forget about it."

Marty started to follow Callie then changed his mind. He valued her friendship and had enjoyed most of the sex but there was just nothing else there with her. He decided he would give her some time to cool down then go see if he could at least save the friendship. He was pretty sure he didn't want much more. Oh, sure, a Friends With Benefits relationship would be good but, at the same time, he wasn't really that kind of man.

He didn't see Callie the next day so, after his work was done, he rode over to her place. She wasn't there and he rode on to Jim and Dottie's home searching for her. When he arrived, he saw her wagon in the yard. All three of them were sitting on the porch. From what he could see, they weren't having a much better conversation than he and Callie had the day before.

Jim and Dottie greeted him. Callie just sat glaring at him. Jim said, "Well Marty, I suppose I know why you're here. Maybe you can talk some sense into her."

"Yeah, I sort of wanted to apologize to Callie. We seemed to get crosswise of each other yesterday."

Callie snorted and said, "What, you decided you wanted some more pussy so you came crawling back to try and get it?"

Dottie gasped and said, "Callie!"

"What? That's what he said our relationship was, just pussy. Besides, isn't that all men want? A little pussy and someone to cook for them?"

Jim spoke up, "No Callie, that isn't what all men want. Most of us want a companion, a lover, a helper. Someone to just enjoy being with and loving."

Callie snorted and said, "That's what he tried to feed me yesterday but I know better. You just let a woman withhold the pussy and see how long a man stays around but if one of us comes wanting dick it's a different story. Good night." Callie got up and went into the house.

Jim sighed and said, "Well, that didn't go very well. I'm sorry Marty. I tried to tell her when she came after you that you were looking for what you had before, what Dottie and I have. I'm afraid we've lost her too. She's packed up and says she's moving to the city tomorrow. When I saw you, I hoped you could talk some sense into her but I guess not."

Marty and the Carter's visited a short time before he decided it was time for him to return home. Just before he rode off Dottie asked, "Marty, can't you give her a chance? I know you're a good man and everyone deserves a chance at love."

"Dottie, I've tried. It's just not there. I think Callie is a nice girl but that special feeling just isn't there. I think if she was honest with herself, she would even admit it isn't there for her either. She's tried to use sex to force the closeness and that just doesn't cut it. I mean it's a huge part and a very important part of any hetero relationship but it can't be the whole relationship. No, I would like to keep her as a friend but I'm pretty sure that won't happen either." He turned his horse and slowly made his way home leaving his neighbors and, he hoped, his friends standing outside their small house.

The rest of the summer was busy. Jim and Dottie occasionally went into town and stayed with Callie for a day or two while they purchased supplies or sold some of their farm's harvest. She found a job clerking in a store and was dating several men trying to be the carefree young woman she had been before.

Just before harvest a young couple drove a wagon into Marty's yard. He walked out of his small mill to meet them. The man introduced himself as Harold Peterson and his wife Rebecca. He then said, "Miss Callie Carter told us you were the man to talk to hereabouts. She has sold us the rights to her claim and we'll be moving into it. She said you could tell us the exact boundaries and so forth?"

"Yes, I can do that. Have you talked with her parents yet? They've been sort of taking care of the place and so have I when I had time. We had hopes she would give up on the town and come back to prove up on the place. I'm afraid the house isn't much but it is built fairly well."

"No, we haven't seen her folks. We'll be sure to meet them tomorrow or the next day. I wouldn't want any hard feelings."

"So, how is Callie? We haven't heard for a month or so."

"I believe she's doing well. Her and her man needed some money so she sold us the rights. Said they was agettin married and needed some money for a house."

"Oh. Well, I hope things turn out well for her and for you folks too. Her place, well, your place, isn't far at all now. You can see the house from here. See over there in that grove of trees? You can just barely see the house? Let me know when you want to ride the lines and I'll show you then, maybe we can drop by the Carter's and I'll introduce you to them."

"Yes sir. How about you give us a couple hours then we can ride the lines? I can ride over after we have some lunch if that is good for you."

Marty smiled and said, "That's fine. Just come over when you're ready. I'm working in the mill today but if I'm not there I'll be around the place here somewhere."

PIONEER VILLAGE

CHAPTER 6

BY SW MO HERMIT

The summer was a good one for crops. Marty was kept busy with his small acreage of corn and wheat and large garden. He spent a lot of time harvesting garden produce and canning or drying it for the winter. He almost didn't have time to get his crops harvested before his neighbors began coming to him with their grain to be ground in his new mill. He was stockpiling a lot of flour and cornmeal just from that since he usually took a percentage of the grain as pay for milling it.

His crops had a much greater yield than did the crops of the farmers around him because of the modern seed he used. He made sure to keep most of his grain for seed which he was going to plant himself and sell for a premium price the next planting season.

Just before Thanksgiving Jim and Dottie made a trip to town with Marty. They were going to sell a load of produce then the Carter's were going to spend Thanksgiving with Callie and her husband. When they got to town people seemed to treat them strangely. Their greetings were more reserved than the Carter's were used to although the ones given Marty seemed more normal.

At the store, instead of Callie waiting on them, the owner did so. He, too, was hesitant. After the greeting he said, "I sure am sorry about your daughter. She was good help. I sure had no idea she was, uh, I mean what she did sure did take me by surprise. 'Twerent no wonder Jake did what he did though. Folks just don't take to things like that."

Dottie said, "What do you mean Samuel? Where is Callie?"

"Oh, I am sorry ma'am. I supposed you knowed. Ole Jake got back from his last delivery early and (he blushed and stammered some then continued), uh, well, he cotched rancher Morgan's boy in her bed keeping her company like. 'Course, he out with his hog leg and let 'em have it like any sane man would then he just up and left after the sheriff cleared him. I guess he couldn't take the embarrassment from something like that. But I sure am sorry you raised a girl like that ma'am."

Dottie turned into Jim and began crying while he held her. It was all he could do not to cry also. Dottie cried out, "But that wasn't any reason to just up and kill her or the poor boy. How could that happen?"

Samuel looked shocked and said, "Well what else was he to do? Most folks thought he was a right good man to overlook the fact she was a widow and marry her even if she had been used. There was no way to overlook something like that!"

Between her tears Dottie exclaimed, "A WIDOW? Callie wasn't a widow. What ever gave you an idea like that?"

"Uh, well Jake told us all she claimed to be a widow but he loved her anyways and was gonna marry her in spite of it. None of us knowed she was just a tramp...oh, I mean we all thought she was a good woman until he caught them."

Dottie just cried harder and Marty moved in. He said, "Jim why don't you take Dottie out and take care of her. If it's ok with you I'll deal with Samuel here for our produce. When you feel better you can come back to buy whatever you need. Do you want me to stay here in town and help you or should I go home when I'm done here?"

1...345678