Pioneer Village

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yeah, either of those would work. Maybe we need to move our shop to town or something but I really don't want to leave our home here."

Marty stood for a moment staring into space then looked at Rebecca with a pensive look on his face. "Did you hear what we just said Becca?"

"What? That we need a railroad?"

Marty stepped up almost chest to chest with Rebecca and looked down into her eyes. She watched him as he reached out and put his hands on her biceps. "No. We both said 'our home'. We both think this place here is our home. How long has it been since you spent time in your cabin?"

Rebecca looked at Marty worriedly. There seemed to be the beginning of tears in her eyes. She said, "I'm sorry Marty. I'll start spending nights there again. I didn't mean anything by it. I just..."

"No, Becca. That's not what I meant. I mean we've become close. We work well together and seem to like each other's company and I agree. I think this is OUR home now. I want to make that completely so. When you said that, I realized I love you Becca. Somehow, you've embedded yourself in my heart and I never noticed. I think we mesh better than I ever did with my wife and I never noticed it happening. Becca, will you marry me? We can go to town and get you a ring and have the preacher marry us whenever you want if you will."

Rebecca smiled and hugged him as she tilted her head up and kissed him. "Yes," she said. "I feel as if we belong together and I've been thinking about getting married and hoping you would ask. We can go whenever you think we can take a break from the work. I'm ready and it's not like we have any reason to put it off or are able to do a fancy wedding like some women did back home. Maybe some of the neighbors would like to come with us but that's the only thought I have."

That evening they quit working earlier than usual and rode to the neighbors to invite them to the wedding. They planned to leave on the next Thursday so they could get to town and arrange the wedding for after church on Sunday.

As they rode toward town everyone watched Marty. He seemed to be paying a lot more attention to the surroundings than he had in the past. Finally, Jim asked, "Marty, you've been paying a lot more attention to the country today. Is there a problem or do you expect trouble or something?"

"No. Rebecca and I were talking the other day about the problem with transportation now. The road network is the pits. You might say there aren't any real roads, just trails and most people just cut across country when they travel. I'm working on building some better farm equipment and it's hell getting the steel and parts to my place. Becca and I thought about heavy wagons or trains. As far as I know they don't even have locomotives here. I've been looking the country over to see if we could maybe lay tracks and build a railroad. I think I remember enough from college that I can make a steam engine. The hard part would be getting the quality of steel needed and finding someone that can make the other parts we need. It would be simple and inefficient but I think I can do it. I might even try to go to an internal combustion engine instead. We'll use light weight rails and go from there."

Everyone immediately began discussing the idea of a railroad as they rode on. By the time they got to town all were not only in favor of it but they were excited by the possibility. It would take a lot of time and money but they agreed to all help and put in the money they were still being paid by whoever sent them to this earth. They agreed to get together after they got back home and work out an agreement, possibly setting up a corporation to build and operate the railroad.

They all agreed that, as they transacted the days business, they would question people about trains and steam power. They also agreed to ask about the availability of high-quality steel and foundries to make the parts Marty might need for his machinery.

While they were conducting other business Marty and Becca asked about railroads and steam engines twice. To their surprise, the first man they asked only said, "What is a railroad?" He did know about steam engines though. He said, "Ya mean those river boats what has the big water wheels on them? I ain't never seed none but I hear they do not even need no one a paddling them. I do not know about nothing else what uses them infernal steam engines though."

To make sure they just hadn't talked to an ignoramus they went back to the land office and asked the clerk there. He looked surprised and said, "Nope. I do not know about nothing like that. Not many folks hold with the steam boats neither. They be too dangerous. They's always a blowin' up or burning. Most folk use keel boats or flat boats for river travel. Most all the large rivers have trails along them for the horses and mules to pull the boats upstream."

That night at the hotel dining room the group discussed what they heard during their day in town. No one found anyone that knew about steam engine powered land transport. All the factories either used water power or still did everything by hand. Transport seemed to be almost all powered by horses, oxen or mules. Almost all manufacturing seemed to be done by individual craftsmen or at the most a man who had several apprentices.

Marty sighed and said, "Well, I was hoping we might be able to purchase rolling stock but it looks like we would have to build our own or have someone purpose build it for us on contract if we ever get a railroad. I'm afraid that puts the road several years into the future."

Jim asked, "What about the steam engines in the steamboats? You said they had them."

"Well, I heard they did but they did say they were unsafe. Besides, an engine that powered a boat would probably be much too large to power a locomotive. We might buy one to power a mill or factory though. I've built about all I can around my stream and waterfall. We still need someplace to improve steel and build engines too. I'm almost too discouraged to try already."

There was an uproar at that statement, the general consensus being they needed to try to build engines of one sort or another so they could have transportation and factories that were powered. Marty finally quietened everyone down and managed to say, "Whoa there. I never said we wouldn't try. I just said I was discouraged. We have a lot of work ahead of us. After the wedding, I think I'll begin working on the engine if I can get several loads of this poor-quality steel hauled in. I'll have to try and smelt it down and strengthen it first. I also need to see if I can find a source of fuel. I know they have kerosene so I might be able to use it but I would rather get some higher quality fuel if I can. They did have engines that ran on kerosene in the early days but I think most of them were actually started using gasoline then switched to the kerosene fuel. I might even just order some crude oil and try to make the gasoline myself. In any event, I think I'll try for a gasoline engine instead of steam since I have to build something anyway. The early gasoline engines were darn simple you remember."

The wedding went off without a hitch the following Sunday. After a nice noon meal in the churchyard there was dancing and chatting. Even people they didn't know made it a point to congratulate the newlyweds. Late that afternoon the happy couple finally made their way back to the local hotel. It was a relief to get away from the few hangers on that had already imbibed too much of the happy juice. After they left, the party continued with the remaining guests slowly making their way home, some of them very unsteadily. The next morning there was more than one hangover and even two or three drunks sleeping it off in the churchyard.

The next morning, the happy couple and their friends went immediately to work lining up the supplies they thought they would need for their attempts to build engines and railroad equipment. All the way home everyone talked about the corporation they planned and pledged money to support the effort. It was agreed Marty and Becca would own 51% of the business because of their expertise in designing and building the machinery and plants.

As soon as the daily necessary work was completed, Marty and Becca worked on the metals and engine every free moment they could find. Most days, working their land and the mill took until noon or shortly thereafter, even with some help from the other families involved in the corporation. Almost the entire winter they spent working in a foundry and metal shop on their home place. One of the big stumbling blocks for the engine was the spark plug and electrical system but they finally solved the problems. By the time they had to stop to plant their garden and fields they had a small working gasoline engine. It ran at low RPM's and was only a couple of horsepower, but it would pull a small 4-wheel wagon with three to four hundred pounds on it.

Marty began building a larger engine almost immediately. If it worked, he intended to put it on a small frame to use as a locomotive. He was slowly building up a stockpile of rails with the intention of running his line from their small settlement to the large town of Hollister where they were married. From there he intended to extend the line into Birmingham so he would have access to metal and other manufactured items. He also would use the rail lines to ship crops to the larger city. Eventually he planned to have parallel tracks so the trains could run continuously.

He did manage to patent a lot of processes and devices in addition to the engines. He made electric motors for use in some applications and patented them then licensed production to others. Thankfully, he didn't have to figure out how to draw wire as that was a process already in existence.

As time passed Marty and his friends found development of modern conveniences became easier because technology built on technology. To them, however, it was strange because the locals didn't seem to have the spark of creativity that those who came from elsewhere had although the younger people who grew up after Marty and his group arrived seemed to be more prone to study the sciences and develop new items. Almost all the first generation or two of new inventions could be directly traced back to a transplanted individual or group of individuals.

The children born of the transplanted population in the local environment learned at their parents' or friends' workplace as apprentices. They made the majority of the next generations "inventors" but by the third-generation locals began making discoveries also.

___________________________________*******____________________________________

The sun was setting behind the couple seated on a wooden bench near the top of the mountain. He sat with his arm around her as she leaned into him slightly. They were looking out over the valley watching two trains meet, one heading away, the other coming toward them as they watched. It was impossible to tell for sure how fast they were going but it was obvious they were moving rapidly.

The man said, "Well, we did it honey. Look out there. Farm products heading out to feed the hungry all across the nation and manufactured goods moving faster than scat to the consumer and not a road, truck or car in sight. I almost gave up at times but you kept me focused and supported me until we finally got it right."

"No honey, you did it all yourself. I just did what any wife would do and supported my man."

They sat a while longer before he asked, "Are you sorry we did it? Should we have gone back when we had the chance? We're only in our early 60's and we don't have too much longer here. We might have lived a lot longer if we hadn't stayed."

"Maybe but this was a good life dear. Besides, remember what Jones said when we saw him the last time. I don't think I could have gone through the horror of the social unrest and all the terrorist attacks until they got them under control."

A young man walked up behind the couple and said, "Mom, Dad. Come on please. Its past time to go. I really have to get back home before dark. You know I have to leave early tomorrow. I'll bring you back up here on my next visit I promise."

"Ok son," the man said. He rose slowly to his feet then helped the woman up. He walked with a cane now but they held each other and supported each other as they walked unsteadily toward the man.

He impatiently walked away from them deeper into the woods. They followed him and came to a nice carriage just inside the woods. The young man helped them get into the enclosed carriage and climbed into the driver's seat. He clucked at the horse and they started back down the mountain toward the couple's home.

A maid met the couple on the porch to a log and stone house beside a small stream with a waterfall in the back. She said, "Supper will be ready in about fifteen minutes Sir and Madam. You will just have time to clean up." She quickly went down the three porch steps to assist the couple as they climbed them. After they were in the house, she bustled off to the kitchen to check on her meal.

During the meal the man ate poorly. His complexion was pale and he grimaced a couple of times. Finally, he pushed his plate away and said, "I'm having some indigestion. I think I'll go lay down a while and see if it gets better."

"The woman started to get up and help him but he said, "No. Stay and finish your supper Becca. I'll be fine. I'm just tired and gassy." He slowly, unsteadily moved out of the room and went into their bedroom. He didn't even undress. He just lay down in the bed trying to find a way to lay where the pain was less. Finally, he drifted off.

After she completed her supper Becca followed Marty into the bedroom. She said, "Are you feeling better Marty? Can I bring you anything?"

There was no answer. She felt a surge of fear as she moved to the bed to check on him. She was scared of what she would find but she had to know. When she touched Marty, he didn't move. His skin was already cooling off. The maid heard her crying and rushed into the room where she found Becca laying partly over Marty as she cried for him.

At the funeral Becca sat almost comatose barely listening to the preacher drone on and on. After he finally shut up their oldest son gave a short eulogy. He said, in part, "Dad was a visionary. He wanted a better life for everyone and set about building it. I can't even begin to list the things he invented to make things easier and better for us. Look at the trains. Then there is all the farm equipment and the machinery in our factories, engines for ships and electricity in our homes. The world will remember him for all this and more but I remember his love and his ability to tell stories best of all.

"When I was young, he used to tell me of an imaginary land much like this one where people moved around in horseless carriages and flew through the air. They fought and killed each other for stupid reasons and everyone was in a hurry. They did all they could for themselves and to heck with others. He told of bombs that could kill millions of people and the horrors and atrocities brought about by evil, arrogant, power hungry men. These people could fly from America to Europe or Australia in one day. It was amazing. When I would ask him if it wouldn't be nice if we could do that he always said, 'why?' 'Why would we want to do something like that? Life is good now. We have the railroads to move people and goods. We have telephones to talk long distances. The air is clean, the earth is healthy and people are happy. Life is good. Why would we want the hustle and bustle in that world?"

The young man looked around and continued, "You know, he was right. We have great health care; we live in a world of plenty and there is almost no violence. Why would we want more? This is your legacy Dad. Thank you so much. May you rest in peace."

1...345678