All Comments on 'Playing the Odds'

by Just_Words

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 3 years ago

Good story! If Dad had any sense, he would hightail out of there as soon as he received his degree.

5

johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 3 years ago

Hmm. Illustrative snapshot of the mindset of the times. I also attended a large state university in the pre-aids, pre-disco, post-vietnam, post-'60s hangover '70s, as did my wife. We both survived and grew up and are (sometimes inexplicably) still together 40+ years later. I can't help but imagine this story as a jump off point for a fictional account of the life-and-times of slut-Mom and slut-Dad. So many possibilities for high drama. Thanks for the mostly fun blast-from-the-past churn of memories.

mordbrandmordbrandover 3 years ago
Was Mom's real name Roxanne?

In any case, not sure if I could be with someone who 'pretended' she was having angry, revenge sex.

fritz51fritz51over 3 years ago
I gave it a 5...

... as an incentive. Like another reader I'm hoping that this is just a spring board to a series. It would seem that it does have a lot of potential.

Please continue.

rightbankrightbankover 3 years ago
it's an interesting introduction

but where's the story?

1 short page doesn't even point to where we are going.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Since when has the length of a story had anything to do with a good read? For those who missed it, this was a snapshot of his college dorm life - it reminded me of mine. Thrown in with was a nice little example of persistence! Its all just words, thanks for the story!

somewhere east of Omaha

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Interesting, there was a guy in my class at university during the 70’s. He was the same as “Dad”. His technique was to talk with a girl for about 10 minutes then ask them straight up: “do you like to fuck”. He would find a new girl everyday with this technique. I lost touch with him later. I don’t think he will ever marry since he can get laid so easily.

brian_scoobybrian_scoobyover 2 years ago

Good story it is just missing stufff… needs more. It could be a great story… with more, lots more. Thank-you

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Great little snapshot of college life pre HIV. "Mom" certainly knew how to mess with "Dads" head lol. To be fair most women do. In fact a lot of blokes know how to do that too. I don't think more was needed on this story. It's not about anything else other than a quick overview of his early adult life and as such works. BardnotBard

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJust_Words@Just_Words
I suppose I write for many of the same reasons that others do. First, I am exorcising my demons. I use writing to explore my thoughts and emotions, sometimes embracing, and perhaps ridding myself of, my darker thoughts and sometimes finding happier themes to celebrate. It s...

story TAGS