Point Hollow Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Commander," said Cindy, "can we just skip the middle of the movie and have you tell us what you saw or didn't see?" There was a chorus of agreement from the backseat. I smiled.

"Okay." I said. "But I'm going to make a short story long. First, I went up to the scene wanted to see certain things, and just left my mind open to the rest, of course following Dr. Carl Sagan's advice to 'keep your mind open, but no so open that your brains fall out'." Everyone laughed at that.

I continued: "What I saw was that there were absolutely no marks on the trail leading to Point Hollow. That means that not only did our students not come up that way, but the FBI did not even search along that trail for Cantrell, nor the other students that were still missing at the time." It suddenly became very quiet in the Police SUV.

I went on: "I went in a circle around that shelter, like a Boy Scout earning a Merit Badge, looking for any sign of human movement through there. Except for the shelter, which was spotted by drone and investigated via going down the road, there was just nothing there. So that means no one came from any direction, except the road."

"Last, I saw what I expected to see inside the cabin, and in a little greater detail. The girls were tied to the bed, repeatedly raped, and likely in front of Danny Cantrell, who was beaten so badly that he was vomiting and probably coughing up blood. I think they made him watch the rapes while beating him... and that shows some serious hatred for that young man."

"Where do you think he is now? Rome? Apple Grove? Farther beyond? He's not at home." Cindy asked.

"Long way to go before we know that." I said. "The FBI did show some competence in checking every hospital within a five hundred mile radius of Point Hollow, but so far they've found nothing..."

Part 21 - Zapped

I had intended to spend Sunday, May 8th, with my family. That was not to be when Jack Muscone called me at 9:30am and asked me to come out to Point Hollow. Of course I got Cindy first, and we drove up to the property.

Once we got there, I saw a large number of FBI agents there. Jack's full team (including Nash), Clark Webster and his team, Les Craig and Miles Winters from Southport, and others that I did not know.

"Thought you might want to see this." said Muscone. He led me over to where two FBI Agents were. They were technicians, and there were a number of devices around them that looked like videocameras.

"What happened," said Muscone, "is that we set up eight small cameras and listening devices around the perimeter of this place. We were hoping to catch the drug perps or possibly Danny Cantrell or anyone else associated with his case coming back to this place." I nodded.

"We had a couple of camera secreted in trees up on that hillside over looking the place, a couple in trees on the edge of the Hollow, a couple near the entrance at the road. They're not easy to see."

"When did you put them up?" I asked.

"The Wednesday after the students disappeared, after sunset." said Clark Webster, who was standing nearby and listening.

"We got some interesting video footage of the area last night." said Muscone. "We'll show you that in a minute. But first, take a look at the equipment. Show him, guys."

Maybe it was habit, or maybe to make a distinct point, but I put on latex gloves, which I always carry, before handling any of the electronic equipment. I took a look, and let out a low whistle, and had Cindy come look with me.

"Wow, these are totally fried." I said. The equipment's electronics were damaged, every piece looking as if it had taken a direct lightning hit, the acrid smell of burned electronics still easily detectable. "This happened last night? The weather wasn't bad; there weren't any lightning strikes that I know of."

"We had camera coverage until midnight last night." said one of the techs. "Here, take a look." He handed me his laptop computer, which had built in side and top shields so we could see the screen in daylight. Cindy and I watched. All was quiet and dark, then suddenly there were several blue-white flashes of light, like lightning rolling off a transformer or a Tesla coil. Then the screen went black. Every other camera's video showed the same things.

"Any idea what could've caused that?" asked Muscone.

"Only thing I can think of," I said, "is to check for anything that was connected to the devices, so that a remote device could have a surge of electricity blast through each device at the same time. And that surge might be what the cameras caught before they were destroyed.

"There's also the audio, Commander." said Clark Webster. I listened closer as the tapes were run again. Just before the bluish light... there was the unmistakeable and unearthly sound of a young woman's scream. I looked over at Cindy... she had gone pale.

"All of the cameras were still in their places when we recovered them." said Eduardo Escobar. "I looked for traces of anyone walking around them and leaving footprints before I went up to them, and there was none."

"How was the data transmitted to your computers?" I asked. Several FBI Agents looked at each other as if not wanting to answer. Jack Muscone became impatient.

"For God's sakes, people, the Commander has a Top Secret clearance, is an FBI Consultant, and has worked with this stuff before." Jack himself then went on to describe the equipment and the fact the digital data was transmitted by a radio signal to a stronger relay transmitter, which in turn sent the data to the Federal Building in Town.

"So..." I said, "someone could detect the radio signals, and know the devices were there. Was the relay transmitter damaged?"

"Yeah." said Clark Webster. "It was on top of the house, and it was totally destroyed, as well.

"But no damage to the house itself?" I asked.

"That's right." said Escobar. "Nor any damage to the trees in close proximity to any of the devices, nor to the fenceposts near the road..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Is it just me," asked Cindy as she joined us for lunch at The Cabin, "or is the FBI a lot less impressive than I expected them to be?" Also present for lunch were my mother Phyllis, Cindy's sister Molly, and Ross and Ian. I had swept for bugs, finding none, so we could speak freely.

"Why do you say that, dear?" asked Phyllis, who was holding Ian. I was holding Ross.

"When we were looking at the place the two women were found, that crime scene was trampled upon, unpreserved, evidence not collected." Cindy said. "Then they set up a monitoring apparatus that, so sorry, a ten year old child could do a better job of hiding. The system gets fried, and they act like they have no clue what's going on."

"And what is going on?" asked Molly.

"Someone easily detected the cameras from their radio signals, then set up something to fry them." Cindy replied.

"What I meant was..." said Molly, "... why would someone want to burn out the cameras? I would think the drug makers would not come near there anymore. If they were bringing drugs over the hill and through the woods to Lake Reservoir on four wheelers, we 're now on increased watch for that. And I'm sure you guys stepped up patrols to the area."

"Not really." I said. "They see or hear us coming up the road, they cross over the State Line, we can't do anything. So I just left it to the Feds."

"You don't think Danny Cantrell would go back there, son?" asked my mom.

"No, Mom." I said.

"You think he's dead?" asked Cindy.

"I don't know." I said, then went into a reverie as I mused again, "I don't know..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"There is something I need to tell you guys." said Molly as we chatted after lunch. "Frank Soltis called me. He's noticed some people following both him and the SBI Inspector around. He called the Westphalia Police on his cell phone to pull one of the tails over, but they suddenly turned down a street and ran away; they must've gotten wind of it."

"Probably had a police radio in their car, heard the dispatch." I said.

"Yeah, we figured that, also." said Molly. "Anyway, Britt lives in a condo in the City with pretty good security, and she asked them to keep a closer watch. Sure enough, someone pretending to be a plumber tried to gain access to her condo yesterday, Saturday. The security people grabbed him in the hallway, but his paperwork checked out and he said he'd gotten a call to go to that apartment. Britt checked it out, and the call was from a burner phone."

"What did they do with the plumber?" I asked, my face set in stone... er, iron.

"He checked out, so they let him go." said Molly. "He seemed as confused as everyone else."

"I'm sure." I said, no small amount of sarcasm in my voice. "Well, that's an opportunity missed. Laura, we need to ask Chief Griswold and his wife to drive over the mountain and come visit. Like, right now."

"Ahhhh." said my mom. She understood.

"Yes, Mom." I said. "Molly, call Frank today and tell him that Inspector Maxwell could be in serious danger, and he and her other subordinates might also be in danger. Cindy, when the Chief gets here, you and I will explain everything to him... and he'll call the Governor. And then... we'll see what happens."

Part 22 - Plans In Motion

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" Bettina shouted from in front of the State Office Building at 7:00am, Monday, May 9th. "University students are preparing for final exams, and Seniors are getting ready for graduation ceremonies next week."

After rolling a taped piece about the University's year coming to a close, Bettina came back live and said "In State news, Democrats in the State Legislature are demanding that Governor Val Jared override State Inspector General Britt Maxwell, and restore the SBI's Narcotics Task Force. The Democrats are saying that the NTF is needed to interdict drug trafficking in the State, and they accuse Governor Jared of helping distributors sell drugs to our State's children. Republicans deny the charge of helping drug distributors."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Well, Chaplain Ikea," said Jack Lewis as Ikea came into his office. "How was your meeting with Representative Cox?"

"Contentious, as usual, sir." said Ikea. "I brought up the NTF, and said that we accused Inspector Maxwell of harming drug interdiction efforts throughout the State. Cox's reply was that he was aware of efforts to follow Inspector Maxwell and to gain entrance to her home, and he said that any further attempts to intimidate her would be countered."

Ikea then said, his face more concerned: "He also said that the Iron Crowbar was aware of the problem, and that if anything happened to Inspector Maxwell, the Iron Crowbar would respond; and that, and I quote, 'what happened to you was minor in comparison to what he is prepared to do on Ms. Maxwell's behalf', close quote."

"Good grief." said Lewis. "And he would do it, too. That damn Justin Madoff... fucked everything up yet again. Okay, we'll have to go with Plan B, then." He picked up the phone and made some calls.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"KXTC just gave us a five minute warning." said Della Harlow on the phone.

"All right." I said. "Thanks." Hanging up, I looked across the desk at Cindy. "Something's going on." I turned on the TV.

Five minutes later, KXTC joined a news conference going on in Midtown. SBI Director Jack Lewis was speaking at a podium. SBI Deputy Director Robert Gaston and Dick Ferrell were standing behind him.

"As SBI Director, and upon the advice of both State and personal attorneys, I am reinstating the Narcotics Task Force." said Lewis. "Inspector Maxwell may can suspend an Agent, provided there is sufficient legal cause. However, she does not have the standing to suspend a department of my Agency. That is for me or the Governor to decide. I have full confidence in the Narcotics Task Force as the premiere anti-drug unit in the State. If Governor Val Jared wants to show his corruption, and help drug dealers sell drugs to our children by suspending the NTF, let him do so directly instead of having the State Inspector General do his dirty work for him."

"Furthermore," said Lewis, "I am requiring Inspector Maxwell to show legal cause to suspend Richard Ferrell, an outstanding SBI Agent with many successful drug arrests under his belt already. I am requiring her to do so through the Court system. Until a Court actually rules to suspend Agent Ferrell based on probable cause, I am reinstating him as the Director of the Narcotics Task Force."

Lewis took no questions, and the three men walked off the stage.

"Can he do that?" Cindy asked.

"He can try." I said. "We'll see what the Court says. And I'm sorry to have to say it, but I think he's right that Britt cannot suspend the NTF as a unit."

"What does this mean?" Cindy asked.

I got out the bug killer and turned it on. "It means," I said, "that my warning to Lewis over Britt Maxwell's personal safety was received and understood. Okay, I have one other thing to do; stay and listen."

I picked up the phone and called Dr. Mickelson. "Doctor, did Dr. Ellman return from his conference yet?"

"I haven't seen him, Commander." said Mickelson. I thanked him, hung up, and called Dr. Ellman's direct line. The Biology Department switchboard answered.

"I'm sorry, sir, but Dr. Ellman is unavailable." said the woman's voice, trying to sound helpful, but also trying to 'persuade' me to accept her words without question.

"Is he in the building at all?" I asked. "Did he come in this morning?"

"I'm sorry sir, I don't have that information." the woman said. Seeing that I was going to get nowhere, I thanked the woman and hung up.

"All right, we'll do this the hard way, then." I said. I explained to Cindy what 'the hard way' entailed...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Inspector Maxwell has already filed the lawsuit over Ferrell." said Robert Gaston at 1:30pm, still Monday, May 9th. "She's pretty much conceding the NTF fight. The good news is that the Superior Court in Midtown took jurisdiction of the case, and they've enjoined the suspension of Ferrell until the case is heard. And that won't be for several weeks. The appeal will go to Leahy, and he's already gotten word to us that he's going to squash Jared and Maxwell like ants."

"Excellent!" said Lewis. Dick Ferrell was sitting next to him, and Lewis shook Ferrell's hand. "Congratulations, and welcome back, Dick!" Lewis said.

"Thank you sir, and thank you for the work you've done for me on this." Ferrell said.

"No problem at all." said Lewis. "So, Robert, what's next for us before I go to the campaign meeting?"

"Now that the NTF is back," said Gaston, "we're going to be making a drug raid... in our University's county." Ferrell grinned. Lewis did not.

"You guys just don't know when to to quit, do you?" Lewis said.

"Sir," said Gaston, "if we don't take care of this problem now... we only give the son of a bitch time to come against us on Jared's behalf. If you want to be elected Governor, sir... the Iron Crowbar must be neutralized as an impediment to your well-deserved success..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I knocked on the door of Assistant District Attorney Paulina Patterson, as her assistant Yvonne Newton was taking a late lunch with her sister Julie. Paulina had me come in. Of course she first showed me pictures of baby Tasha and we chatted about our daughter.

"Okay, what brought you in here?" Paulina asked. "And no, we're not going to make another baby; I have a meeting with Krasney in twenty minutes."

"Call and ask him to postpone it; and yes, it's for an important reason... and not making babies." I said. "I need some warrants, and we're probably going to have to visit the judge to get one of them..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Paulina and I were sitting in the chambers of Superior Court Judge Rodney K. Watts. I had put on a tie and my Duty Dress jacket for the occasion.

I explained the first warrant, which was to bring in Ben Ellman as a material witness. Judge Watts had no problem with that one. The second one required a lot more explanation, but he finally went with it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Lieutenant Teresa Croyle went into the Vice Room. "Julie," she said, "go to the Commander's office; he has an assignment for you." Detective Julie Newton locked her computer and left.

"Okay, guys," Teresa said, having the other Vice Detectives come to the long table in the middle of the room. "I've got some intel that there's going to be a drug dropoff tomorrow night at Point Hollow. The scuttlebutt is that they think it's safe to go there precisely because we think they're avoiding the place. It's supposed to happen right after dark tomorrow night."

"But here's the catch." Teresa said. "The FBI has asked us to not interdict. They want to see if these guys lead them to the last missing student, Danny Cantrell. Our only job is going to be holding the road south of the Water Works, in case the slugs decide to do something stupid like come back into my jurisdiction."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Come on in, Detective Newton." I said. I had her sit down, then said "I want you to investigate something, and it's very delicate, so your discretion is very necessary to this. Have you heard about the rumors of guns being run through this County?"

"I heard about them, sir," said Newton, "but Lt. Croyle said they'd come to nothing."

"And she was correct." I said. "But we've come across some new intel that militant Blacks may have been involved in running guns, and they want to use those guns to shoot white Police Officers." I handed her a file. "This is all I have, it's thin, but there's a predominantly black moving business called 'Three Brothers Trucking'. Their address is off Jefferson Avenue. They have ties to the County Regional Banks. It may be nothing, or it may be something, but check into them, if you will."

"Yes sir, I will." said Julie. "Especially if these bastards are going to target police officers." I could see a fire behind Julie's dark eyes...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Okay, so we're basically just playing a waiting game now." said Chief Moynahan as we sat in his office at 5:20pm. I was briefing him on the day's activities.

"Yes, sir." I said. "Just a few threads to wrap up---"

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was my Police cellphone, and it was FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone making the call.

"We've got Ellman." he said. "He wasn't in Knoxville, Tennessee, but in Nashville. Said he was conferring with Biology professors at Vanderbilt University, but no one at the School knew a thing about it nor had any appointments with him. The Marshals will fly him back to you overnight."

"Thanks, Jack." I said. After we disconnected the phone call, I told the Chief: "After we got the warrant, I put out a national APB for Ben Ellman as a material witness, with an emphasis for Tennessee. He was supposed to come home today, but didn't... and he didn't stay in Knoxville, either. The FBI found him in Nashville, and he'll be in our custody tomorrow morning."

"Good work." said the Chief. "Do you think he'll be able to help us find Cantrell?"

"I don't know, sir." I said. "But I'm hoping he can shed some light on the disappearances, all of them. I'm not getting anywhere with anyone else, that's for sure."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Tomorrow night," said Ferrell, to Sharples and other SBI Agents of his newly-regathered NTF, "we're going into the Iron Crowbar's turf. We're going to bust a drug operation at Point Hollow, where those students disappeared. The FBI wants to tail them, but we're going to arrest them inside the State Line. We'll get big headlines for the bust, and the FBI will be left holding the bag."