All Comments on 'Polishing an Old Trophy'

by PatHayashi

Sort by:
  • 27 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Truly enjoyable. Great characters. 5*

It was a little odd that the mom popped up out of nowhere, but this did not affect the way I was sucked in.

You wacky Canuckians :)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Loved the story and how she went from being Amber to Amelia as a symbolic part of her transformation. Look forward to more of your stories and going back to the other two.

AngusMAngusMabout 2 years ago

A wonderful enjoyable story Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

You got lost in the timing of the story.

“ THE LAST TIME that Derek saw Amber was fifteen minutes ago. “

That sentence was on the first page and YEARS of activity occurred after that statement. Maybe you meant to write something along the lines of “The next time D saw A was life-changing…” or “The next time D saw A led to a big change in both their lives…”

stewartbstewartbabout 2 years ago

Loved the story and especially the ending that came after the "they lived happy ever after" wedding. The characters and story line just continued to carry me along from event to event. Here's your "5+"

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

enjoyed it... 5stars

DCCoffeemanDCCoffeemanabout 2 years ago

Really enjoyed this story. Lots of background so we knew the characters and where they were coming from. Loved how Al Too disciplined his kids… not that they learned anything. Strong romantic story line that finished with a happy ending. Thanks for sharing your talents with us!

WetheNorthWetheNorthabout 2 years ago
Since I am also Canadian you ere going to get 4 stars automatically

But a trashed that idea quickly when I saw what a well written story you were building

Just based on merit you got a full 5

You must have rushed this to get it published as I could spot that your proof reading faltered in the last two pages. Not to worry

HikoluHikoluabout 2 years ago

Not what I usually come here for but well written with well drawn characters. I would have read it with or without the eroticism which sat naturally in the narrative. A pure sex eight pager I would often have skipped but I found myself 4 pages in without noticing. Honestly, well done, 5 stars!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Good until the ending, which was rushed.

maxx308maxx308about 2 years ago

Loved it, very well written. Thank you

G5902G5902about 2 years ago

Excellent story — thank you for sharing!!!

mac1729mac1729about 2 years ago

Another wonderful story, Thank you

Flar1958Flar1958about 2 years ago
Maybe not only in Canada

A lot of people in the western countries came at wish of gouvernmet and the bosses and/or local gouvernment want a country certificate to work their professions.

So a good read and a happy read in these times.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Good story on many different levels. Five stars.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Interesting story which I enjoyed.

Too Hallmark to be realistic. Derek was nauseatingly 'nice' and the two villains were ridiculously evil. Rather like a children's fantasy than adult life.

Amy's guilt was absurdly overdone. Yes she was vain and self-centered (not exactly rare among beautiful people). But, notwithstanding #MeToo, if a woman's got it and a person of power/money wants it why shouldn't she use her assets if she freely chooses to do so? It's the human reality of at least the last 100,000 years.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Damn fine story! 5/5

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

A pleasure to read. A good take on the immigrant situation in Canada. So many talented men and women whose skills could enhance the betterment of my country. The romance was well crafted and the two main characters - Derek and Amy were well developed. The introduction of Amber as the trophy wife was dead on. Thanks for a story that hits so many great points. K

FlynnTalwarFlynnTalwarabout 2 years ago

Gave this a 5 after getting through the first page, on the strength of the writing style alone. There are so many writers here who tell their tales in first person, which is fine. But I've found as a writer it's a different thing to tell it in third person, and this author has those skills. You've got a new follow.

FlynnTalwarFlynnTalwarabout 2 years ago

Sorry for the 2nd comment but it just got better as I kept reading. Between the Canadianisms, the copious multiculturalism (love it!!), the social issues re immigrant struggles, and the subtle but significant business conflicts that drove the plot, you're a writer after my own heart.

BTW, when you mentioned the high-end chain steakhouse in Mississauga, I immediately thought of the Ruth's Chris in the Square One complex. I've been avoiding being specific about GTA locations in my own stories but I think I'll start.

TonyspencerTonyspencerabout 2 years ago

Very enjoyable story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

You are a very talented writer. I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Thank you for your hard work and I hope you will share some more of your stories with us.

AnotherChapterAnotherChapterabout 2 years ago

Warm and captivating story with lots of thoughts to ponder. Being Canadian I personally know of a few immigrant horror stories of various road blocks erected to scuttle the hope of professionals coming to this country, yet so many folks have stayed on, fighting to make a new life for their families. the story touched on so many truths, including the ugly truth of nepotism and how privilege can be used as a bludgeon to keep people down. yes, it had a happy ending and that is great for a romance story, but too many people who have come to join our ranks have fallen short of achieving what they could have.

OU8ME2ICOU8ME2ICabout 1 year ago

This is great story, that really enjoyed reading. You do have a talent for writing and I look forward to reading your future stories. I’m glad that you pointed out that people who migrate from second and third-world countries are not all uneducated unskilled workers. It would be nice if countries that were looking for individuals in STEM professions, would assist those individuals to attain the licensing or whatever is needed to allow them to work in the same professions they worked in prior to immigrating. I’m not sure if that type of assistance is implemented in any countries. I can understand that immigrants are willing to do whatever it takes to make sure their children will be able to have a better life than their parents did.

ITakePicturesITakePictures10 months ago

Outstanding! It brought tears to my eyes!

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

This was an amazing effort. It you did two stories like this a year it would leave you tired most of the time.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userPatHayashi@PatHayashi
** All names, characters, and incidents portrayed in these stories are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. ** Long time reader looking to try my hand at writing fiction. I write sales stories and proposals for a living so wan...