All Comments on 'Port in a Storm'

by Cynthia W.

Sort by:
  • 31 Comments
GpsaGpsaabout 7 years ago

Not only do you write with feeling, but also bring the reader along for the ride. Please more....

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago

Good story, but some weird word choices at times that really didn't fit with the sentence they were in.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Tugs your heart...

You write with so much feeling... And it brings out the honest to goodness soul that resides in you...

God bless!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Grateful reader

Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

OvercriticalOvercriticalabout 7 years ago
Good story, but...

This story could be dissected and analyzed, but why ruin the experience. The people were characters you could feel for since they were so well developed. The story did seem to drag. I wasn't sure if we were going to get a major trauma in the plot to either Dave or Vivienne and was pleased that nothing happened. Yet it would have been nice for something to have happened. The tale just droned on inexorably to its obvious finish. Ok, but it could have used some pizzaz somewhere in the middle. In music you would call it reaching a crescendo or finale instead of just stopping as it did. Still worth 4*

Cynthia W.Cynthia W.about 7 years agoAuthor

@Overcritical: I wrote this story for one simple reason: to make people aware of abuse in relationships. I'd actually rescued a girl like Amy when I was working with a support group, and it's shocking just how many people ignore abuse because it's supposed to be a 'personal matter'. When we save people from a fire or an accident, why can't we save them from getting hurt at the hands of another person? I could've made it more dramatic, but that's not how it happens in real life.

Not one of my best, but still special to me all the same..

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Simply stunning, I couldn't put it down

Wonderful

bruce22bruce22about 7 years ago
Compelling Read

David certainly was a hero with fantastic abilities and Vivienne and Amy may the story three cornered. Really Vivienne had more than her share of traumatic moments.

TheOldRomanticTheOldRomanticabout 7 years ago
A great dramatic and realistic story

Firstly, I loved the story.

Secondly, it is quite true that society tends to ignore these facts until it is too late, we worry about gender violence when we read the news in the press or we see it on TV, however, how many times have we heard That someone needs help and we ignore that request, or do not even do anything to prevent these attacks? We have become a dehumanized society, we are more concerned with the mistreatment of animals than with mistreating people. We leave aside the abused women and children and we lock ourselves in our comfort zone, we think that there will always be another one that worries, we do not want to get involved in fighting this plague that is gender violence.

While it was true that, as she was progressing in reading, she feared that Vivienne's help to Amy would affect her relationship with Dave, but after reading Dave's reaction to her patient's death, I knew her relationship was going to survive . Really, to Dave, what worried to him that Vivienne was coming back to leave wounded, she already had passed through this problem, that to her it produced physical and psychological damages, to a young age of 17 years.

One of the things that struck me is that for the first time in this site, there is talk about the problem of dependency of its abuser suffered by many women, they still love (or believe they love) those who harm them, and do not always recognize The problem, many women believe that they are the problem, they do not consider that the problem is them, until it is too late, or, as in this story, something clicks on them (in this case, Amy's baby) and Then they dare to ask for help.

While referring here to a problem of mistreatment of women, I would like to dedicate a song by Susan Vega to this story: "My name is Luca". This song refers to child abuse, but it also applies to mistreatment of women. In my country, so far this year, we have had more than 20 deaths of women in the hands of their partners or ex, and many of them had not reported the abuse.

We must become more aware of this problem, it is very good that we worry about the mistreatment of animals, but first we must worry about the mistreatment of people, we must know how to prioritize what is more important, I know of people who would risk their Life for saving a dog, but then, in the privacy of their home, they are able to beat and mistreat their partners. Never forget that the abuse is not always physical, too often emotional abuse, and this is much more difficult to detect, as it barely leaves visible signs, but usually leads to suicide victims.

LoneGirl, thanks for writing this story, and do not say it again is not one of your best stories.

Stories like this can help to save lives, not only entertain readers, we have to raise awareness about this serious problem.

5 * for you.

I apologize for my English (yet and forever), isn't my native language.

Cynthia W.Cynthia W.about 7 years agoAuthor

@TheOldRomantic: Thank you for the comment. It's true that abuse still isn't considered a grave enough problem in our society. And it isn't just women or children; I know of men who've been abused by their partners, both men and women. Entertainment can also be a powerful way to create awareness, and this was my small attempt at it. Thank you for reading.

teedeedubteedeedubabout 7 years ago
Strange story

It sounds too true. Abuse is horrible and should not be tolerated by any of us. There are a lot of us 'Dave's' out there. You just have to look beyond the bullshit.

FloribundaFloribundaabout 7 years ago
A really great story, thank you!

I was sort of reading heart in mouth that something that Vivienne did would put Dave off (and I suppose I only get that feeling from some of the stories I've read on here).

But the best of it was that Vivienne became a superhero who helped Amy and conquered her own past, present and future along the way.

And Dave was the superhero side kick giving support, love and affection (absolutely, definitely needed!).

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
More Please

This is at the top of my list for best stories. Would love to see it as a series with this being the last and starting when he found her. Explore what happened in those relationships what happened with her family and learning to trust and accept the new love. OR a story that follows Amy a single mother having lost her faith in relationships.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Outstanding story.

There's not much more to say; the story says it all for itself. I was a small cog in a big wheel in domestic violence prevention once. You have done it a service; thank you for that. Please do continue writing ... whenever the urge strikes you.

LeFrog08LeFrog08about 7 years ago
This story moved me.

It generated a bevy of emotions in this reader.

Well done LoneGirl, thank you for this gem.

scotlytscotlytabout 7 years ago
Great story

Loved reading it.

rightbankrightbankabout 7 years ago
Thank you for sharing your time and talent with us

Lots of emotions in this story. Tremendous levels of doubt and redemption.

rightbankrightbankabout 7 years ago
Thank you for sharing your time and talent with us

You filled the pages with a lot of emotion. The drama went from the very dark to filled with hope. I hope you come back again soon.

rapperbsrapperbsalmost 7 years ago
Very Well Written!!!

The emotions you brought out in this story were amazing. From your comments at the end, you have experienced sadness in your life as well. Maybe even a victim yourself. This story really makes people think about domestic violence, which is NOT love, it is abuse. There are good men out here, who value women, who respect women, who do not physically or mentally abuse women, who truly love and respect women as equals and partners and best friends.

God Bless You!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Thank you from a father

I found out after the fact that my daughter had been emotionally abused and didnt know how to see the signs. Thank you for writing this so people become more aware of the people around us who need our help and love. I am glad to hear that things turned out well for your own 'Amy' as well. A beautiful story and a vital message.

Thank You

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
MORE PLEASE

I would love to know how they met and maybe an epilogue of what happened after the marriage

anonymousinblueanonymousinblueover 5 years ago
right

If this story was written to make people aware of abuse, then that explains a lot. All except for why it's in romance. I'm actually surprised she married Dave. They seemed to only be getting more distant. I'm even a little disappointed...although they deserve each other.

So, there's the platonic benevolent but ego stroking rich ex fantasy, (retribution by proxy) abuser humiliated and killed fantasy, platonic damsel in distress rescue fantasy. Oh, but the 20 acre living complex was good, I liked that.

Amy is such a small fixture in an overly ornate framework, like a 5W bulb in a grand chandelier, or a 100W bulb in a lighthouse. She would have shined brighter in a simple nightlight or an ordinary lamp, with some sort of historical lampshade material.

Whatever absolute attribute she has, her relative importance is dwarfed by slice of life. There's evidence of creativity throughout. But the story has at least 3 arcs, and only one of them has any progression, and the love interest Dave is totally superfluous to the story. He didn't do anything noteworthy, not even perform the C section. The ex is given the job that she could have had a private investigator and lawyer take care of herself. So, his only existence was to stroke her ego, and give frustration relief, quite nicely summed up in the last line of their interaction. And having an ex doing while the husband encourages her is something I'd see in a vacuous evil bitch plot from a LW story. Oh, and then the near-groveling apologies for the fiancee that continue after her placating reaffirmations is over the top.

So, the major grievances:

⚬ having an ex whose sole necessary contribution was stroking the protagonists ego, and a target of abuse

⚬ the author stated purpose of the story is unrelated to the category

⚬ to avoid the last one, a contrived impending wedding is contrived

⚬ the rescue target's story is wholly overwhelmed by plot threads that don't contribute to plot progression and contribution.

⚬ Dave didn't cry often enough to get honors for his position

⚬ author has no qualms about harming a fictional baby by giving him preterm birth

Horseman68Horseman68over 5 years ago
Poignant Story.

An excellent and moving story in very many ways. Would much like to have more from this writer. Exceptional talent.

CumminginsiderherCumminginsiderherover 5 years ago
Very nice story

I was hoping to get a little bit more info about the time Dave saved Viv.

How sad, another great author like LoneGirl is gone from writing, at least on here, I hope she is still writing somewhere. I would like to know if she ever found her "Inner Vivienne". I bet she did and maybe even more.

"When you need that extra strength, always look from within, it's there just waiting to emerge"...........Thomas Joseph

We all know an "Amy" or two. Pay attention as they won't always advertise their need for help until THEY recognize it or are willing to accept it.

Even if they are not willing to acknowledge the need for help at this time, there are many things, people, and organizations you can do or contact on the side to help them or prepare for when they will be ready for help.

Hell, if worst comes to worst, send ME a message, I have the uncanny ability to PERMANENTLY FIX many "Aaron" type problems. Don't ask, you really don't want to know.

Cynthia W.Cynthia W.almost 5 years agoAuthor
@Cumminginsiderher

I checked out your profile. Now I know ;)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
5 stars

I probably read this story 20 times and i always find it great! As mentioned in a previous comment i would like to know the story about how vivienne and dave met, how he saved her.. It would be really great! Thank you for this amazing story

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Abuse ...

My best friend is very involved in the Lesbian community here. She tells me all the time, through her tears: our world is not ready to accept, understand or respond to the high level of sexual assault, sexual abuse and domestic abuse that is constantly happening within the Lesbian communities. She says virtually no outsiders know, except for a very few paramedics and police officers who have seen it first hand. Nobody tells the victims' stories.

@LoneGirl, maybe you can.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Overcritical strikes again

And you got four stars. Consider yourself lucky LoneGirl.

ScoratScoratover 3 years ago

I love stories where the character is so developed you can feel their presence. IMHO the only thing missing was a straight sequence of the events of her life and who she was before she became this wonderful woman.

dawg997dawg997almost 2 years ago

A tremendous creation. Wonderful characters, multiple sub plots, and personally, I like happy endings.

Couldn't ask for more! Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What a trip! Excellent story a full 5 stars 🌟 I became part of the story as I read. Well done.

Bill S.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous