Port in a Storm

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic LiteroticaĀ® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Later," I whispered, starting to walk. "But I'm sure you'll like it."

*

There was something about church bells that made me emotional. It reminded me of my village, of my old bedroom, of the church bells waking me up every morning.

But it all ceased to matter as I walked down the aisle, dressed in a lace gown, bouquet in hand, face covered with a tulle veil. Dave was at the end of the aisle in a white suit, looking every bit the charming prince that he was. With him were his best man and groomsmen, everyone smiling. That was the first time I was seeing my man in over twenty-four hours. It was kind of exciting.

The estate had been in Dave's family for over 300 years, and the adjoining church was where most of the family weddings were held. It'd also been breathtakingly decorated for our wedding.

My hands trembled slightly around the bouquet. Everyone was there. Dave's entire family, many senior diplomats, Dave's friends, his colleagues, my colleagues, Michael. And Amy. I couldn't help smiling when I saw her in the second row, pretty in a lavender dress. Her mother was keeping her baby for a while so she could attend the wedding. She'd be leaving soon, and I'd made sure the car dropped her home.

But she looked good. And happy. She was still on leave, but I had a new job for her at Kingston Exotica whenever she returned.

It still felt a little surreal. I was now a business woman. The grand launch had been glitzy, with everyone from ministers to diplomats to movie stars in attendance. Dave had accompanied me, and Simon had come to meet us personally, congratulated us again.

Things had fallen into place. I'd found closure, so had Amy. And when Dave reached out his hand to help me up to the altar, it all seemed a little like a dream.

"You look dashing," I smiled at him, my hands in his as we faced each other. The vicar was talking, but we had eyes only for each other.

"I'll think of how to answer that when I pick up my jaw from the floor," he sighed. I hung my head low, tried to not laugh.

"Do you, Vivienne, take Dave to be your lawful wedded husband, to love and to honour him as long as you both shall live?"

I took in a deep breath. "I do," I exhaled as I said the words.

"Do you, Dave, take Vivienne to be your lawful wedded wife, to love and to honour her as long as you both shall live?"

"I do," Dave said.

The rings were handed to the vicar who blessed them, and then held the tray before us.

I took the larger ring, and looked at Dave.

"Dave, I didn't know what I was missing until you came along. Your genuine, selfless love has filled the empty spaces in my mind, my heart, and my soul." I slipped the ring in his finger, even as my throat threatened to choke up. "I give you this ring as the promise of my commitment to you, now and forever."

I wanted to laugh a little, it was so impromptu. It was Dave's turn now. He took the other ring, and looked at me.

"Vivienne, my life began the day I met you. You're beautiful and brave, you inspire and fascinate me, and you make me the happiest man in the world." He slipped the ring in my finger. "I'm blessed to have you, and with this ring I pledge my commitment to you, forever."

It was the Vicar's turn to speak. "Dave and Vivienne have made their promises, and pledged themselves to each other, and have shown their consent by joining their hands and giving and receiving rings. I now pronounce them husband and wife." Loud cheering rippled through the church even as the vicar continued, looking at Dave. "You may now kiss the bride."

My breath caught as Dave lifted my veil. "It went so fast," I said breathlessly. "I want to remember everything."

"You don't have to," he leaned in and whispered. "I'll remind you every day how much I love you."

I closed my eyes when I felt his lips on mine, and the tears that I'd so long held back finally escaped.

When I'd hopped on to a train as a seventeen year old, little did I know that beyond the pain and horror was a beautiful life awaiting me. It had taken twelve long years, but it'd been worth it. Dave had made it worth it.

After the signatures, we came down from the altar, the guests rising to their feet as we started walking down the aisle. Mum was crying, but so was I. Dave held my hand tight as petals and confetti showered on us. I saw Amy on the way, and I reached out to hug her. She hugged me back, whispering 'congratulations' into my ear. I patted her cheek and continued walking.

"Who's that with Amy?" Dave whispered to me. Without looking back, I knew who he was talking about.

"It's Andrew. Kristin's brother." Young man, worked as a chef at Kingston Regency. Quite handsome too.

"I see." There was humour in Dave's voice. "You're playing Cupid now?"

"Gosh, no," I giggled. "Looks like he didn't find any other place to sit."

"Don't know about that, but he looks fascinated for sure."

He was right, Andrew did look smitten. He could hardly stop looking at her. Amy didn't seem to mind either, was blushing furiously. They weren't talking much, but I could see the connection. I was glad she wasn't there all alone, sad and gloomy.

"Could this be a new beginning for her as well?" I asked. Dave gave me a soft, hopeful smile, nodding reassuringly.

"You take care of everyone," he said. "I'll take care of you forever." Then he was lifting me up in his arms, laughing. "I'm so happy that you're officially mine now."

He looked at my face as he let me down. "Are you happy?" He asked hopefully. I smiled, tilting my face up

"Very happy," I laughed, pressing my lips to his again as the afternoon sun cast its soft glow upon us.

(Concluded)

~~~

Dear readers, I wrote this story five years ago, when I was younger and lonelier. But as I dug it out from a forgotten folder and worked on it, I felt a certain ache in my heart, just like I'd felt back then. And I'm still trying to be like Vivienneā€”strong and fearless.

Oh, and if you're like Amy, or know anyone like her, please seek help. One small step can change so many lives, for the better.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to write my next story, so until then, take care.

~LG

1...67891011