Port in a Storm

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I didn't know the girl, but the sight I had seen broke my heart and scared me at the same time. I was sure it was fear I saw in her eyes. The kind of fear I'd known in the life I'd left behind.

*

"You stopped answering my texts." Dave was sitting on the sofa, his feet up on the centre table as he watched football on TV in the family room. The pout he was attempting made me laugh.

"I'm sorry. I got a call, then I had to rush." I leaned in and kissed his smooth cheek. "Aren't you supposed to be getting dressed?"

"I am. Didn't feel like doing it without you, though." He returned the kiss, lingering for a moment. "Mum had called to ask if we want to make speeches tonight. Do we?"

"Of course not." I headed towards our bedroom, craving a shower. I'd picked up my dress after lunch, and then come straight home, knowing we'd take time to get dressed. "Mum's going to go crazy by the time we get married."

"You bet." I heard the TV go quiet, and after a moment, saw him entering the bedroom. He looked fresh after spending the morning in bed. "Shower?"

"Yeah, dying for it. Get dressed in the meanwhile. I won't be long." I stripped off my clothes, found him eyeing me rather intensely. I flung my jacket at him, making him laugh.

"You look better," he observed as I stepped into the bathroom. "Good day?"

"Okay." I closed the shower stall, turning on the water. There were no secrets between us. He knew me, my life, my past. But on that special day, when he was all charged up about the party, I didn't want to tell him about the call from Michael or the girl I'd seen in the toilet. About the latter he'd probably say I was thinking too much, but the former I wasn't too sure of.

I leaned against the cold tiles of the wall, closing my eyes as the water cascaded down me, washing away all the tiredness. I shampooed my hair, then dabbed on my favourite moisturiser, took the time to pamper myself. When I finished, I came out to find Dave stepping out of the closet, fastening the cuffs of his shirt.

"Take it easy, love," he laughed as he watched me hurrying around the room, plugging in the dryer, and impatiently untangling my tresses. "There's time."

I watched him in the mirror fixing his collar, slipping on the belt, and then searching for his tie. The dryer buzzed in my hands in the meanwhile as I smoothed my fingers through my hair.

"I hate bow ties," he grumbled, slinging the black piece of silk around his neck, his hands adeptly making a neat bow out of it in no time. He had obviously grown up doing it. "They look better on teddy bears."

I laughed, switching off the hair dryer and looking for the comb. My towel came off as I bent to pick up the comb, and I struggled to hold it in place with my hand.

Dave saw my predicament, came over to lend a hand. "You smell great," he whispered, kissing the curve of my neck, his hands holding my towel close. I leaned back, tilted my head to share a kiss with him.

"So do you," I smiled, reaching for the hair serum. I poured some on to my palm and smoothed it on my hair. Dave continued holding me, tickling my belly through the towel, making me squirm.

"You're going to mess up your shirt," I warned, trying to wriggle free. He laughed against my neck, laying butterfly kisses on my shoulders.

"I'm so happy," he said, letting go when I finished with my hair and tied the towel again. I smiled absently, running the comb through my smooth, shiny tresses. "Can't wait to marry you," he added, kissing my cheek.

"You sure you want it?" I turned around to face him, looked up hesitantly at him. Dave stared calmly at me, having heard that question several times over the last four years— when he asked me to move in with him, when he decided to buy a house together, and when he asked me to marry him.

"You know me, Vivienne," he answered, crossing his arms against his chest. "What do you think?"

I bit my lip, stared uneasily at the floor. "I don't want you to regret this." The words came out quietly. I felt hands on my upper arms a moment later, pulling me close to him.

"I'll only regret it if I don't do this." His voice was soft, reassuring. "Do you want this? Do you think you can put up with my erratic hours for the rest of your life?"

"That's hardly an issue," I smiled. "Not when I get to have you like this, knowing only I get to see Dr Thompson traipsing around in a towel in my house."

He raised an eyebrow. "You're marrying me so you get to see me in a towel?"

"Quite the incentive," I giggled.

"Really?" he brought his face close to mine. "How about seeing me traipsing around naked in the house?"

"Oh no. That's too explicit for telly." I laughed aloud, making him laugh as well. My phone rang. I grabbed it from the bed, found Dave's dad calling. I put the call on speaker.

"Where are you?" The deep male voice boomed on the other end. "The hostess is asking every two seconds."

"We're on our way, dad," Dave lied, dropping me a wink when I tried to stifle a laugh. "Tell mum we'll be there when we have to."

"You better do. Your neck is at stake, otherwise." He laughed. "Make it before the guests start arriving, right?"

"Yes," we answered in unison. "We won't be late," I added.

"Alright. Got to go back to work. See you, kids."

"See you, dad."

Dave laughed finally as the call ended. "They're mad," he said, shaking his head.

"No, just the best parents in the world." I pecked his lips, running over to the closet to get dressed.

It was almost six when we reached Dave's parents house. It was a huge house, spread over 20 acres. That evening it was decked with lights and flowers, making my jaw drop.

"This is...amazing." I exclaimed, trying to calm my fluttering heart as the guards held the gate open for us. Dave drove in, admiring the trees lining the driveway decorated with lights.

"Quite an arrangement." He killed the engine, even as the uniformed butler came down the stairs and held the car's door open for me. I thanked him, stepped out, and smoothed my hands over my lace dress. It was off-white with a black sash, paired with black heels and a clutch. Dave looked handsome in a black dinner jacket, although he'd been grumbling all the way that he looked like a waiter.

"Oh, there you are." Dave's mum met us at the foyer, fussing around the place in a midnight blue dress. "I thought you needed a separate invitation."

"Hi mum," we said together as she greeted us with a hug. She was stylish. As the wife of the retired permanent secretary, she sure knew a few things about looking good, throwing parties, and being the perfect host. She also knew how to be the ideal mother. She had to, since she'd raised a wonderful man like Dave.

"You look perfect together," she gushed, measuring me and then him. "You make such a lovely pair."

"They do." Dave's dad came down the huge staircase that ran through the middle of the foyer. He was tall and broad, with a sharp nose, much like Dave. I often told him that he'd look like his dad at sixty-five, with crow's feet and grey hair.

"Hi dad," I raised a hand in greeting, but the tux-clad man engulfed me in a hug, then kissed my forehead. It still seemed surreal, the way they loved me. I didn't remember exactly when I'd started calling them mum and dad, but it did feel very natural, as opposed to addressing them as Sir Thompson or Vivienne.

That had been plain weird. Learning that Dave's mother and I were namesakes, and responding together every time his dad called out Vivienne. It was still a pet joke in the family.

"Come on in," mum said, holding my hand, while dad put an arm around Dave. "See the arrangements and give me feedback."

"It's lavish," Dave observed, his eyes roaming admiringly across the decorated banisters and windows, flowers all over the place. The trees were lit-up, and there were big balls of light hanging from branches and peeking from the bushes. She'd obviously got decorators to do the place but the work was really elegant and eye-catching.

I laughed when I saw the big banner hanging in the middle of the garden: TWO LESS FISH IN THE SEA.

"You didn't have to go all out," I said, admiring the sight of the beautiful garden, with tables and chairs placed all around. The chairs had beautiful damask drapes while the tables had little candles in wine goblets. The patio had been turned into a dance floor.

"Oh, I haven't." She smiled, gazing at the seating arrangement. "I've saved a lot of things for the wedding."

"It's going to be a while, mum," Dave said. "We aren't rushing."

"That's okay," she patted him on the back. "My only son bringing home a wife. It's got to be grand."

I looked away, my eyes drawn to the fountain in the middle of the garden, glowing in the blue light. It was beautiful. I couldn't believe that I had such a lovely set of in-laws.

No, they were my parents. The parents I never had.

"I'll see if the guests are here," she turned around to go back inside the house. "You kids have fun."

Dave laughed, not able to believe his parents had done so much for the party. He came from a privileged family, and was no alien to parties and social gatherings. But it seemed like his parents had managed to surprise him with the lavish arrangements.

"I didn't think you'd make it so grand," he said to his dad. "It's unbelievable."

"You have your mother to thank for that, young man," dad thumped his shoulder. "She hasn't stopped running about since the last two weeks, putting every little thing together." He put his other arm around my shoulders. "We're delighted for you," he smiled. "We couldn't have asked for a better bride for our son."

"Sir, the guests have started arriving," the butler announced. Dad turned around.

"Oh, I'll be right there," he said to the man who nodded and left. "Go inside," he told us. "Come out when we ask you to. Alright?"

We nodded, as Dave held my hand and led me inside through the back door. I giggled as we hid under the huge staircase, Dave already kissing me. We could hear voices, mum and dad ushering guests in.

"There are people here," I whispered, trying to move his hand away when it crept under my dress. He snickered low and deep against my neck, gently nibbling the skin. I bit my lips when his hand found my underwear, moved the fabric aside to feel me. One strong finger flicked at my hard nub, making my knees buckle.

"Please," I whimpered, gripping the edge of his jacket, my traitorous body reacting to his touch no matter how much I tried to will it away. "Not here."

"Five minutes, please? We can find a room..."

"You're a five minute man now?" I chuckled, even as my voice trembled with arousal. He sniggered again, and I shifted a leg, felt his hardness through his pants.

"I can make it work. Oh, Vivienne...you're beautiful..." He pulled me closer, brushed his lips against my neck. His breath was warm and heavy, his finger breaching my tight entrance.

I moaned, and was silenced with a hungry kiss. We could hear footsteps and voices outside, the tapping of heels, the crunching of shoes. Dave and I kissed with wild abandon, not caring that the party hadn't even begun yet and we needed to be proper and decent.

But we hadn't made love in a week. We had buildup.

We broke apart when we heard mum approaching, my heart pounding madly. I opened my clutch and fished out the lipstick, quickly applying it. Then I smoothed my hair, willed the blush in my cheeks to go away.

"Come on," mum smiled, when she finally found us. "We're ready."

Dave discreetly adjusted his pants, then checked if his hair was okay. We held hands as mum and dad led us out to the garden where the guests had taken their seats.

Loud cheering greeted us when we stepped outside, taking us by surprise. There were lots of people-- former and current diplomats and their families, other important people from the diplomatic and administrative services, family friends, relatives, some of Dave's closest buddies, and a few of his doctor colleagues. We smiled, accepted the greetings, and went to our table.

Dave's father was the first to toast.

"Ladies and gentlemen," he began, wine glass in hand. "Thank you for coming to share with us this milestone event that marks the beginning of a lifelong commitment. It's also an opportunity to meet our son's future wife. Those of you who are seeing her for the first time, prepare to be bowled over by this charming young lady."

Dave leaned in. "Dad isn't normally so serious," he whispered to me. "What's the matter?"

"Shh." I shut him, since all eyes were on us. Dad continued after glancing at us briefly.

"Trust our son to give his heart away while checking a patient's pulse," he said, and the guests broke into a laugh. I laughed as well, lowering my gaze, trying to be the demure bride. Dave shook his head, visibly embarrassed.

"And that wasn't all," dad added. "She was called Vivienne. I knew a Vivienne when I was 13. She's been my wife for the last 38 years." He looked down at Dave's mum, who was trying to not be emotional. "When Dave brought Vivienne home, we realised not everything in life is a coincidence. Some things are meant to be."

He looked at us and smiled fondly. "Vivienne, for 31 years we craved a daughter. We found one in you four years ago. Here's to Dave and Vivienne. Together, forever."

Glasses clinked, drinks were downed. It was Dave's mother's turn next, followed by his cousin and then his best friend and best man. Dave held my hand as the speeches wore on, and I looked at him to find his eyes gleaming with joy. Even though he hadn't shown much interest when the party had been announced, I knew it gave him immense happiness to share our engagement with his friends, family, and well-wishers. I could see it in his eyes.

For the rest of the party, we mingled with guests, posed for photos, accepted congratulations from everyone, and slow-danced together. Dave was a good dancer. He always said that it wasn't until he was 16 that he decided to become a doctor. His family sponsored philharmonics, and as a boy, he was into music as much as he was into science. I'd say he still was. Other couples on the floor stared and cheered as we danced. He was known as the Dancing Doctor at the hospital, though in other settings I bet he didn't look like someone who dealt with knives and scissors all day.

Neither of us usually had time for such occasions, so it was really nice getting to enjoy ourselves. I knew most of the people there, from Dave's friends to his cousins. He took me around the place, introducing me to his dad's friends and former colleagues, his voice thick with pride and affection.

My heart soared at the love I felt there. With Dave, I'd found all my dreams come true.

Dave's mum swooped in from somewhere and whisked me away inside the house. Dave was discussing violins with his friends so he didn't notice. She took me to her room, made me sit on the bed.

"Have I told you how beautiful you look?" she said, cupping my face.

"You have," I sighed. So had everyone else. Mum laughed.

"I've got something for you." She went over to the closet, took out a small jewellery case. When she sat next to me and opened the box, I saw a delicate pearl bracelet glistening inside.

"What's this?" I asked, surprised.

"Engagement gift," she said.

"We aren't taking gifts."

"Oh, please." She held my hand, slipped the jewellery in. "It belonged to my mother-in-law. She gave it to me when Jeremy and I got engaged." She smiled, her eyes watering. "It's yours now."

"Mum..." I was lost for words. It wasn't the object that mattered. It was the emotion, the sentiment behind the gift that moved me. "Thank you for accepting me so wholeheartedly," I finally said. "I didn't think a girl like me could live a fairytale like this."

"Vivienne, you're more than just another girl to us. You're our daughter." She held my hand, stroked my amputated finger. "When Dave was six, I had a miscarriage. We were sure it was a girl... It was slow and painful, and I couldn't get pregnant again after that."

She looked at me. "You're six years younger than Dave. I'm sure you're the daughter I never had."

"That would make me and Dave...siblings?" I chuckled. Mum patted my cheek, laughing.

"We're so happy for you," she said. "You're a very brave girl. The perfect fit for our son."

I nodded, watching her shut the closet and turn around. "Come, let's go to dinner," she said. "The buffet is tempting."

"Umm...I need the bathroom," I said hesitantly. "I'll catch up, okay?"

"Sure." She wandered over to a few guests while I slipped away upstairs, searching for an empty corner. I found the whole of first floor vacant, and took a place on the stairs.

The bracelet was a little large for my hand, but it still looked nice. Dave's parents loved me so much. I didn't know if I deserved it at all. If my past was anything to go by, I surely wasn't deserving of the pride they felt for me.

"Hi." Dave was walking up the stairs, probably searching for me. He sat beside me on the steps, began to loosen his tie.

"Hey. How's everything?" I smiled, shifting closer to him.

"Awesome." He leaned back, resting his elbows on the step behind him. "Geraldine Parker was after me again, though. I was hiding behind a tree for five minutes."

"Last time we met, you distracted her with an eloquent talk on the effects of World War I on British literature," I chuckled.

"Yeah, well, anything to bore her." He looked at me. "Why do you look lost?"

"Nothing, just..." I showed him my hand. "Mum gave me this. It belonged to your grandmother."

"It's lovely." He kissed my hand, looked into my eyes. "Anything troubling you?"

I shook my head. "I've always done everything on my own for as long as I remember," I said. "I never thought someone would host a lavish party for me someday." I leaned against the wall on the side, feeling tired. "Am I someone to be proud of?"

"You are." He pulled me close to him, put an arm around me. "We know who you are. And we love you because of who you are, not in spite of it."

"I could never imagine your parents would keep loving me like their daughter after knowing who I was with before you. It was like it didn't matter." My head dropped back, a low sigh escaping my mouth. "I still wonder if they love me because of you, or because they're really fond of me."

"They aren't pretentious people. If they didn't like you, they would never do so much for you. My mother would say it right to your face if she didn't think you were worthy of being part of this family." He squeezed me gently, kissing my hair. "Your past doesn't define you, Vivienne. And my parents have lived long enough to know that."

I nodded, sighing again. "I want this to be a new beginning, Dave," I said, putting my head down on his shoulder. "I want to spend my life with you, as your wife. Give you children, grow old with you..."

"Well, for you to give me children, we need to have sex." He lifted my face up with a finger, his eyes turning a shade darker. "Two hours, then we are out of here," he announced. "I need you."

"I'm not giving you children tonight," I chuckled.

"No, but it's good to have practice." He caught my lip between his, hand cradling my face. "I love you."

"Love you more. Dinner?"

"Sure. Two hours, remember?"

"Fine." I nodded, not able to resist the look in his eyes. The look that promised a night full of passion.

*

"Oh..." I hissed, clawing at the pillow, feeling wet kisses against my back. Dave's chest hair scraped against my skin as I dug my knees in the bed, trying to find a bit of purchase against the onslaught of pleasure.

We'd come home less than an hour ago, pawing at each other even before we made it through the front door. Clothes had been discarded in a hurry, shoes tossed around the place as we tried to touch all of each other at once.