Price No Object Ch. 05

Story Info
Conclusion: confrontation, baby born, blast from the past.
17.7k words
4.83
5.7k
6

Part 5 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 02/25/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 14 - Roadblocks (continued)

The Enemy tried hard, very hard, to stop the arrest warrant for their beloved CEO from being issued.

"Your Honor!" Edward N. Parker exploded, his face deep red with rage, "There is no probable cause to arrest Mr. Willis!"

"Yes there is." I said. "I emailed and faxed Judge Landis as well as Superior Court Judge Rodney K. Watts here in our County the outline of my case, and it shows why Matthew Willis is a Person of Interest, either a Material Witness or a Suspect, in the murder of Julie Davalos Matheson, a human being."

"You have no proof of that!" exploded Karen Harper. "And for you to smear the good name of Matthew Willis with your slanderous lies is beyond the pale!... even for YOU!"

I just calmly fired back: "If Ms. Harper won't give us the subpoenaed document, perhaps Willis will. If Ms. Harper does not want Willis arrested, she should come correct with that document. An arrest warrant for him is an excellent incentive for him to turn the document over to her and to us."

"And yes, I did get those documents you sent, Commander." said Judge Landis. "They are a compelling case, if circumstantial. I'm issuing that warrant, and Mr. Willis will have until 9:00am tomorrow morning to turn himself in to the Town & County Police..."

Part 15 - Second Chances

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" said the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, January 8th, from the anchor desk at the KXTC studios. "There are shocking new developments in the Matheson murder-suicide case!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "Channel Two News has learned that Federal Judge K.M. Landis and State Superior Court Judge Rodney K. Watts issued warrants for the arrest of Matthew Willis, CEO of BigCommunicationsCorp, colloquially called 'Big Commo'. Mr. Willis has been named a Person of Interest in the deaths of Dwayne and Julie Matheson, who were found dead in their home last Monday afternoon!"

Bettina: "The Town & County Police have finally released their reports of the crime scene as well as the autopsies of the Mathesons. Dwayne Matheson's death was ruled to be the result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. However, the autopsy of Julie Matheson showed that she died hours earlier than her husband, and that he was away from the home at the time of her death, prompting the Coroner to issue a ruling that her death was a 'homicide by person or persons unknown'."

Bettina: "The TCPD and the Nextdoor County Police also issued their reports of the deaths of two men in Nextdoor County, and sources tell Channel Two News that at least one of those men, identified as Roberto Cardona Jimenez, has been linked to the Matheson murder, as his DNA was found at the crime scene. Neither the TCPD nor NCPD would comment on the possibility that Jimenez or his accomplices were the murderers of Julie Matheson."

Bettina: "Matthew Willis is the son of the late Mitt Willis, who was Acting CEO of BigAgraFoods when TCPD Commander Donald Troy arrested him and perp-walked him to his death outside the Palladium Hotel in The City, which outraged the employees of BigAgraFoods. Now Commander Troy has personally asked for the warrant to arrest Matthew Willis. The TCPD has declined to comment, citing the ongoing investigation. And Commander Troy continues to insult the People of our Town & County by steadfastly refusing to respond to Channel Two News's multiple requests for comment."

Bettina: "And now let's go to reporter Carl Lemay in Midtown for a special report on the Legislative session. Carl!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Carl Lemay as he appeared on the screen, with the State Capitol in the distance behind him "Governor Sharon Marshall has requested a weekend meeting at the Governor's Mansion, and has invited Legislators of both Parties, including Lieutenant Governor Corey Coons, State Senators Moe Molinari, Jimmy Cerone, and Katherine Woodburn, and three State Representatives, Republicans Lamar Linder and Billy Williams, and Democrat Nina Cortez."

Lemay: "Other Legislators were furious at those choices. State House Majority Leader Wilson Hammonds was not invited, and he and other Establishment Republicans bitterly promised that Governor Marshall would pay for the deliberate snub. And Representative Tasheeka Harris of Inner Midtown called upon Lieutenant Governor Coons and the Democrats to boycott the meeting and all meetings with Republicans until Governor Marshall and State Senator Molinari fully commit to defunding the Police."

Bettina: "Carl, are there any other bills at all being considered in the State Legislature?"

Carl: "Yes, Bettina. Senator Richard Langdon and Representative Frank Allen, both Democrats, introduced the 'Sensible Gun Control Measures Act' in their respective chambers of the Legislature. The bill calls for very reasonable measures that include full registration of all firearms with the SBI Bureau of Firearms and Explosives, requiring 'proof of need' before a concealed carry permit can be issued, publicly publishing the names and addresses of anyone who has been issued a concealed carry permit, and an ammunition tax of at least $1 per round for any ammunition purchased in the State, and making it a felony crime to own any ammunition purchased outside the State without registering it with the SBI-BFE and paying the $1-per-round tax to the State Tax Authority."

Carl: "And State Senator Maxine Watts of the Badlands District of The City and Representative Peter Long Cox of Nextdoor County introduced bills in their respective Chambers called the 'County Restructuring Act', which calls for the 96 counties and the City to be restructured along more equal and fair lines. It also calls for our Town and County to be divided to their original pre-merger lines, including a full separation of the Police Forces along those jurisdictional lines. Back to you, Bettina..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Can they do that?" asked Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone as she, Sheriff Antonio Griswold, Me, Chief Sean Moynahan, and Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle drank coffee as we watched in the Chief's Conference Room. "Can they really split us apart like that?"

"Surrrre they can." drawled the Chief. "They're the State Legislature."

"I understand what Tanya is asking." growled Sheriff Griswold. "And the more complete answer is that they can split the Town and County apart again, but once they do, we get to write our own Charters. And those Charters can still called for a merged Police Force and Fire Department."

I said "True, sir, but it will also depend on whether or not we get merged with Nextdoor County and Coltrane County. If we do, then it's unlikely the Police Forces can stay merged."

Teresa said "That bill is aimed at rural counties, attempting to dilute Republican numbers by merging districts where they're stronger. But we're the fourth-largest population base in the State, after The City, Southport, and Midtown. Why would they merge us with two rural counties and actually add to Republican strength in the new district that would follow?"

I replied: "Yes, it might get Katherine Woodburn defeated by a Republican, but locally it would have a devastating effect on the Republicans. For example: of the Town's five members of the current Council, four are Democrat and one is Republican. And they can use the Republicans's own trick against them: they'll say they're going to ensure a Republican gets elected in one district out of five or two out of ten, by cramming every relatively conservative neighborhood into one district. Yeah, that'll guarantee a Republican or two, but 80% of the Town Council will be Democrat."

The Sheriff added: "And don't forget... because the Council is divided the way it is, the USDOJ required us to have the Assembly. If the Town is separate and divided along equal-population lines, they can be unicameral... just one Council, no Assembly."

"And the Democrats in total control of it." I said somberly.

"But the County Council will be Republican... won't it?" Teresa countered.

"That depends." growled the Sheriff. "If our County is merged with Nextdoor County and Coltrane County, they will be factored in, as well. If they get creative about how the lines are drawn, and who is included where... it might not be. What if Hillside and Buford are not given town councils, but are included in the overall County structure?"

After a moment of somber silence, Tanya said "So, what are we to glean from that reporting of Mitt Willis's situation?"

"That they are walking on eggshells over it." I said. When everyone looked at me, I said "Bettina didn't go to Amber or Stellum, but reported on it herself from the anchor desk. Whyyyy? To ensure she personally kept control of the report and the narrative. And probably on Katherine Woodburn's orders. They absolutely do not want to offend the Crony Capitalist companies."

Teresa said "And they're laying the groundwork to really go after you, Don. They're already painting you as a vengeful persecutor of the poor, poor Willis family." I nodded vigorously in agreement.

"Soooo, Mis-ter Crowbarrr." drawled the Chief. "Do you really think Matthew Willis is going to fuck up and give you a thread to pulllll?"

I shrugged. "I hope so..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 9:25am I received a phone call from Carole. "Daddy," she said, "the power is out here at school, and they're sending us all home."

"Okay, I'll come get y'all." I said. As I was exiting my office, I nearly collided with Tanya as she pivoted from her office to mine.

"Sorry, Don." Tanya said. "I was just going to tell you that Federal Marshals are escorting Matthew Willis in the BigCommo jet from Washington, D.C. He's expected to land just before noon."

"Good." I said. "I'm going to go pick up the kids at Eastside Elementary. The power is out there. I'll get Pete, too..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The power was out at the school because of a major arcing and subsequent fire at the substation that fed power to the school and the Courthouse next to it. The school's heaters were gas-fueled, but because the blowers ran on electricity, heat was not being distributed to the classrooms, and it was going to get cold. It was also dark inside, so the buses were called... recalled, actually... and parents were notified to pick up their kids.

I saw Stephanie Steele at the school. She told me she was picking up Marie, and would take the others to Laura's office. So she took Jim, Ross, and Pete... and I took Carole with me. "I have something she can do today." I said.

On the way back to Headquarters, Carole said "Daddy, I don't have my badge, so how can I work with you?" I opened the little compartment between the seats, took out Carole's badge, and handed it to her. She very happily put the chain around her neck, displaying her badge on her chest.

"Here's what we're going to do, Fussbudget." I said. "You're going to watch me interrogate Matthew Willis. If you get any sense, any vibe, that can help me get him to confess or mess up and reveal something, you can tell Detective Rodriguez, who will relay it to me through my earbuds."

"Why can't I have earbuds, Daddy?" Carole asked.

"Because they're adult sized, and your ears aren't big enough yet." I said... then added "Even though you listen to too many conversations that don't concern you."

Carole retorted: "If I were Aunt Cindy, I'd say something about a crowbar beat-down. But I won't, because that would be dis-re-spect-fulll. And because I don't have a crowbar yet, and I'm not good enough to beat you in a boxing match... yet."

"You get out of school for one day, and already you have delusions of grandeur." I said with a grin. "But yes, I'm still your father, and that would be disrespectful, so don't------"

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was my personal iPhone. "Uh oh." Carole said. "That's Mommy. She wants to know why you're taking me to the Po-leece Station instead of me going with Marie's mom to Mommy's office."

And she was right. I had some 'splainin' to do...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When we got back to Headquarters, Helena told me that Captain Michaels and Lieutenant Mary Mahoney had asked to see me when I got back. I went on into my office behind Carole, who knew to plant herself on the sofa and stay put.

"Daddy," she said as she pulled her iPad out of her book bag, "talk to Captain Mike-ulls first. She has something im-por-tant to tell you."

"Okay." I said. Following Carole's advice, I first went to Claire Michaels's office, knocked on the door, and went inside. Claire was about to stand up, but I held out my hand for her to stop and remain seated. "You've got something for me?" I asked.

"Yes sir." Captain Michaels said. "Richard Davalos and his wife came back to Town last night. After checking into the Hyatt, they proceeded to go to the Coroner's Office and ask for Julie Matheson's body to be returned to them so that they could have it transported to Acropolis City for burial."

"Just her body?" I asked.

"Yes sir." Claire replied. "The problem is that Dwayne's parents asked to claim both bodies, and so did Jeff Cawthorne, with the intent of either cremating them or burying them... and doing so here, in our cemetery."

"And what's the answer, there?" I asked.

Claire: "Coroner John Quincy Kelly called all the parties involved, and had them come to his office in City Hall to work out the claims. A TCSD Deputy was there, and it was fortunate that he was. When Davalos saw Mr. Matheson, he was going to rush him again, but the Deputy and Jeff Cawthorne got between them."

Claire: "Davalos proceeded to do a lot of yelling. He demanded his daughter's remains be given to him, so that he could bury her in Acropolis City, and completely separate from Dwayne. Everyone else protested that, and once again Jeff Cawthorne fronted Davalos hard when Davalos began making threats and getting into people's faces."

Claire: "Then Mrs. Davalos interjected, and said to let Julie be buried with her husband, either in Acropolis City, Senoia, or here. Davalos's face was so red with rage that Coroner Haines literally thought the man was going to keel over. Davalos grabbed his wife's arm to force her to leave with him. The Deputy was about to intervene, but Mrs. Davalos said it was all right, and she left with her husband."

I said "That's interesting, and I'll see what we can do to help the Mathesons and Cawthorne on that. But it doesn't look like anything we can do something about."

Claire smiled as if she was getting one over on me, and she was. She said: "Yes there is, sir. Right as you were leaving to get your kids from school, the Hyatt Hotel called. They had brought room service up to Davalos's room, and even though Davalos tried to just grab the tray and take it inside, the server saw Mrs. Davalos in the room with some bad bruises on her face. He notified the front desk, who notified us."

Claire: "Officers Johnson and Burrell responded. Davalos tried not to respond; our Officers had a key and opened the door then busted through the chain on it. And yes, Mrs. Davalos had been beaten up pretty badly. She tried to tell them she didn't want to press charges, but Officer Burrell said that it was a domestic disturbance, the Police had no choice, and that Mr. Davalos was under arrest. Mrs. Davalos was taken to the Hospital, and Davalos is now in our holding cells... again."

I nodded. "Good. That gives me a glimmer of hope that we can take Willis down. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that we'll be holding Davalos over the weekend and not arraigning him until Monday. And if Miriam Walters or Savannah Fineman try to interfere and move up the arraignment so that they can let him go, we will force the delay until Monday." Claire nodded in complete understanding.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I stopped by Lt. Mary Milton's office. She had me sit down. "We've processed the additional papers BigCommo sent over. We have them under a classification seal, so you or the Chief must give permission for anyone else to see them."

"Good, thanks." I said. "Anything interesting in them?"

"No sir." Mary said. "There's very little there. What interested me is what's not there. For example, usually when a company has a Government contract, the company bills the Government for the company employees's pay. But that's not in the records they sent. They do show the company paying the Mathesons and Cawthorne, and department numbers, but nothing further."

I nodded. "Maybe they weren't billing the Government for the pay. Maybe the Government is paying them a set amount for the product they deliver. And that would at least partially explain why they weren't paying Dwayne Matheson the bonuses they promised him until it was too late: it would come out of their pockets."

Mary said "I can think of another couple of reasons for it, sir. First, a corrupt one: they may be charging the Government for the pay, and maybe the overtime and bonuses that they're not paying Dwayne is going into their own pockets."

"Like Forbes Environmental National Laboratories was doing." I said. "Siphoning off money for their slush fund." (Author's note: 'Environmental Hazards', Ch. 02.)

"Yes sir, exactly." Mary said. "But I think my second reason is the most likely one: they're not billing the Government because that would generate a record... for and by the Government. And they don't want this one on the books, not even the classified 'black' books. Whatever 'Charrington' is, it's a really 'dark' project."

"So it would seeeem." I said as I got up. "Anyhoo, I just hope and pray that no one ever offers you or Myron that kind of money to leave us. I can do a lot, but I can't compete with that."

"No worries, sir." said Mary. "Myron and I would rather watch our kids grow up."

"Kids? Plural?" I said as I glanced at Mary. She silently met my glance with a little smile...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I had Davalos brought to I-2. He was dressed in a stylish orange jumpsuit, white t-shirt, and gray slippers, and was designated as a 'suicide watch' prisoner.

"Lawyer." was all he said as he was practically forced to sit down opposite me at the table.

"I'm not asking you any questions." I said. "I'm------"

"I want a lawyer. I want a witness to anything you're going to say." Davalos said, his eyes smoldering with hatred for me, but also revealing the state of panic of his mind.

"Tough shit, fuzzball." I replied, then began: "As you can see, Davalos, you're back in my jails again. And after beating the shit out of your own wife. Domestic abuse charges are bad, and they tend to follow a man around. Now the only thing you can possibly do to avoid significant jail time... hard time, and as a wife-abuser who will be treated similarly while you're in prison... is for you to tell us everything you know about Matthew Willis telling you to bring Dwayne Matheson back into the BigCommo fold as an employee."

To my surprise, I saw Davalos's eyes change just a little bit, and I realized that he was thinking of his predicament, and whether or not it was worth it to turn.