Private Practice Ch. 04

Story Info
The verdict; rearranging the deck chairs; new threats.
10.3k words
4.8
5.3k
4

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 12/07/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

There may or may not be discussion of political issues in my stories. If you are a Snowflake that feels you need to be protected from any mention of politics, then click the Back button now, and never attempt to read any of my stories ever again. You've been warned.

***

Part 23 - The Fallout

The Court Reporter read the result: "We the Jury find the Defendant in Count 1 of the indictment..."

"... not guilty."

Stanley Locklear whimpered a sigh of relief. His eyes began tearing up as the 'not guilty' verdicts on all the other counts were read. He and Michael McGill shook hands, which turned into a man-hug. He turned and shook hands with me, but Paulina had sat back down so they didn't shake hands.

Savannah Fineman looked disgusted and angry, as if the Jury verdict was an affront not so much to her but to the cause of gun-rights-suppression. Miriam Walters's face showed no emotion; indeed, it was impossible for me to tell exactly what she was thinking or feeling.

Judge Folsom polled the Jury on the murder counts, and found them to be unwavering in their decisions to vote for acquittal. He thanked the Jury and then dismissed them, and they were taken back to get their belongings. Stanley Locklear was also taken to the back areas to complete some paperwork, get his things, and be released. Reporters had rushed out of the back of the Courtroom, knocking each other and other people over in their haste to get out and file their stories.

As Paulina and I were about to go up the aisle and out, with the Sheriff falling into place with us, Miriam Walters came up behind us. "Paulina," she said, "be in my office at 4:00pm." She walked on out ahead of us.

"Oh well," Paulina said, "I guess I better get my résumé polished up."

"Naah, you'll be fine." growled Griswold. "In fact... things might turn out better then you think."

I said "And besides... I think you have a job with the Madison & Ives Law Firm any time you want it." When Paulina's head made like an owl's and whipped around to look at me, I just winked at her. An Agency of the Weak-Minded, I was not...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Courthouse complex had installed a new Press Conference room, and reporters were in a 'feeding frenzy' as they waited, expecting people to show up and answer their questions.

First came Stanley Locklear and Michael McGill. Stanley said "I'll make a statement, but I will not be taking questions at this time. I want to thank my attorney Michael McGill for his amazing job as my Defense counsel. Without him, there is no telling where I'd be, and how successful ADA Fineman's political witch hunt would have been, and how much damage to our Second Amendment rights and the right to be secure in our homes she would have done."

Locklear: "I also want to thank the National Rifle Association. My attorney was recommended by them, and they stood with me through this whole ordeal. Your First Amendment rights as reporters are upheld only by the Second Amendment rights of good American Citizens, and their willingness to protect those rights..."

Reporters began shouting questions at Locklear, but he simply moved off the stage and out of the room. Unlike publicity hound attorneys, Michael McGill went with him rather than speak to the shouting reporters.

Next came Miriam Walters, by herself. She said "I have a brief statement, and then I'll move on. I'll be taking no questions; I believe ADA Fineman will, and I won't step on that. I want to thank the Jury for their diligence and their hard work as they did their duty, and for coming to a unanimous verdict in the case. I'm not going to analyze the conduct of the trial here, except to say this: I apologize to the Detectives of the Town & County Police and their leadership for jumping the gun and bringing this case to trial before they had finished their investigation."

Miriam: "Like that television show 'Law & Order', we are supposed to be working together with Law Enforcement to bring the criminals they catch to justice. We did not do that here, and that is on me. Furthermore, I am dropping my lawsuit against Commander Donald Troy as a good faith gesture towards improving the D.A.'s Office's relations with the TCPD, and working together to bring lawbreakers to justice."

She left the stage. It was fifteen minutes later when Savannah Fineman came in. She said "The Jury arrived at a unanimous verdict, and I respect their decision. I really don't have a statement, so I'll take your questions." She pointed to Tim Sioban.

"Tim Sioban, KSB News." said Sioban. "Ms. Fineman, will you be putting Marla Locklear on trial, now that her husband has gotten off scot-free?"

"No." said Savannah. "First of all, I think we put the correct person on trial. He just beat the rap and was acquitted. And second, no, I won't be bringing any charges at all against Mrs. Locklear." She pointed to Amber Harris of KXTC News.

"Amber Harris, KXTC News." the athletic blonde said. "Did Commander Donald Troy's refusal to help you convict Locklear contribute to his acquittal?"

Savannah said "Commander Troy and the TCPD have a duty to help the Town & County District Attorney's Office convict the criminals we indict. Their failure to do so is a dereliction of their duty. So yes, Donald Troy helped an NRA-worshipping, gun-loving vigilante be acquitted, when he's on tape shooting two unarmed men..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As Teresa and I came out of the back of the Courthouse complex and into the parking lot between the Courthouse and Eastside Elementary School, we were suddenly surrounded by reporters and camerapersons. I did not feel like I was in danger; after all, I had my red crowbar, and Teresa was more than ready to shoot and kill anyone who represented a threat. I also knew that the Deputies that had appeared and made a line we could walk through were eager to enforce some order upon the pathetic slugs of the bitterly reviled Mainstream Media.

As they shouted questions, I decided to stop and make a statement. When I took one question, everyone calmed down enough for me to answer. It did not matter what the question was. I acted like U.S. Attorney General Derrick B. Harland's Press Secretary, a redheaded woman who was derisively called 'Little Red Lying Hood', and answered however I damn well pleased.

I said loudly and clearly: "Today... the Constitution worked. Today, an innocent man was acquitted by a Jury of his peers. The Second Amendment was vindicated. The right to be secure in one's home, and to defend one's home and family, was upheld. The right to stand one's ground in the defense of one's home and family was upheld."

The Media did not like that; guess how often that video clip would appear on the County's and the State's televisions? (Yes, it did air on the State Fox Networks.)

But as I was about to continue walking, one reporterette did try to ask another question: "Commander, Miriam Walters said she is dropping her lawsuit against you. Will you meet her halfway and work with her again?"

I stopped and turned, and said "First of all, can you explain exactly where this mythical 'halfway' that I'm supposed to meet Ms. Walters is? And second, I'll work with Ms. Walters and anyone in the District Attorney's Office... except Savannah Fineman."

And this time I did start moving again, and did not stop...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

4:00pm, Thursday, September 2nd. ADA Savannah Fineman came to the door of D.A. Miriam Walters's office in City Hall, and was ushered in by her assistant. She saw Miriam at the far end of the table in front of the desk. To her unpleasant surprise and total disdain, Paulina Patterson was sitting to Miriam's right.

"Come have a seat." Miriam said, indicating the chair to her left. Fineman went up and sat down. Miriam said "l've made a decision; several, in fact. First... Paulina, I am putting you back on MCD cases. Savannah, you're back on Vice cases, especially big drug cases."

"Miriam! No!" Fineman exclaimed in protest. "You can't let Donald Troy win like that!"

Miriam said "If that's the way you want to look at it... then yes, Donald Troy has won. He gets Paulina back. But this really isn't about Donald Troy, Savannah. A man who shot dead two unarmed men, on videotape, was just acquitted."

"Yeah, but still---"

"ACQUITTED!" Miriam yelled out. "We can't try him again! I didn't agree with the political tone you were attaching to the case, but he still should've been sent to prison for voluntary manslaughter at the very least! He was what we thought he was! And you let him off the hook!"

As Savannah stared at Miriam, speechless, Miriam said: "Paulina, go tell your baby-daddy Donald Troy that he has you working with him again on MCD cases. Go. Get out of here."

"Thank you, ma'am." Paulina said. She got up and hastily exited before Miriam changed her mind.

As the door closed behind Paulina, Miriam and Savannah stared at each other for a long moment. "Savannah," Miriam finally said, "most District Attorneys would fire an ADA or DDA that fucked up as badly as you have on this case. I'm keeping you on for two reasons. First, you can get a few big drug case wins and redeem yourself, and people will forget about the Locklear case."

"And second," Miriam continued, "I am hoping and praying that that fool Ted Mason runs agains me for D.A. He's got a ton of baggage, and I have dirt galore on him beyond that. And then you can run for Solicitor and easily win this time. But you have to crush it on the cases you get. Donald Troy usually doesn't touch Vice cases, so you don't have to interact with him, and I'm working on other Officers getting to work with you in spite of him. An-nd, you'll get to work with the Feds. Want to be a U.S. Attorney? This can be a road to it."

Savannah said nothing for a long moment. Finally, she said "I'm disappointed. But I guess I have no choice. What about Gale Gaston? And Marla Locklear? Is Troy's house negro sex toy there going after them?"

Miriam said "No. You can announce you're dropping all charges against Gaston. And unless something really bad comes out about her, like if she killed someone herself, we're leaving Marla Locklear alone. If I can help it, that whole damned Locklear case will never be heard about again. Okay, you can go."

Savannah got up and turned to leave. As she was walking down the length of the table, Miriam called out "Savannah!" Fineman turned back, and Miriam said "Don't fuck up and make me look bad again."

Savannah worked hard to keep a biting reply from crossing her lips. She just nodded, then turned and left the office.

Part 24 - Cleanup on Aisle 5

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" said the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, September 3rd, from the rooftop of the building at Riverside and College, with City Hall as her background. "Changes in the District Attorney's Office after a stinging Court defeat!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "After Stanley Locklear was acquitted of capital murder charges yesterday, Assistant District Attorney Savannah Fineman issued as Press statement saying that she was not pursuing any charges against Marla Locklear, and that charges against Dr. Peter Frost's attorney Gale Gaston for allegedly assaulting Police Officer Donald Troy would be dropped with prejudice."

Bettina: "This likely concludes the Locklear saga, which contained allegations of ribald sexual roleplay that turned deadly, the destruction of a once-thriving business solutions firm, increasing stories of sexual improprieties by a marriage counselor and psychologist not named Dr. Laura Fredricson, and the split-up of a prominent law firm."

Bettina: "The loss of the case also has caused changes in the Town & County District Attorney's Office. Channel Two News has learned that D.A. Miriam Walters has reassigned the responsibilities of ADAs Savannah Fineman and Paulina Patterson. Ms. Patterson will work with the TCPD's Major Crimes Division, while Ms. Fineman will handle important drug cases brought by the TCPD Vice Squad."

Bettina: "District Attorney Walters did not respond to repeated requests for comment by KXTC Channel Two News, but Solicitor Ted Mason said in a statement, quote, 'The disasters and reshuffling of personnel by Miriam Walters are just symptoms of her extremely poor leadership as District Attorney', close quote. And now let's go to Sports with Jeff Hull, for more on the Bulldogs big game this weekend! Jeff!..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Applause burst out in the Chief's Conference Room upon hearing that Paulina was back to working with MCD. Drinking coffee there were Our Sheriff, Your Iron Crowbar, The Green Crowbar, the Iron Wolf, Lady Ironside, Chief 'Cav'... and Paulina Patterson herself, who did not (yet) have a nickname.

"Welcome back, Paulina!" Tanya P. Muscone said with great perkiness after the Bettina propaganda-cast. "I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but why did Miriam capitulate like that?"

Sheriff Griswold growled "She was beginning to drop in the polls. KFXU began what I can only describe as an (air quotes) 'active campaign' to paste Savannah Fineman's political views and actions on Miriam, and it was working; it hurt Miriam in the polls, especially with her base. And with Ted Mason all but showing in those comments to Bettina, of all people, that he intends to primary Miriam in the Spring, she has realized she had to make some tough political and personal choices."

Our Sheriff: "She has had meetings with me, Daniel Allgood, and some of the other Republican elected officials in the County, and to her credit she has listened to our advice."

Chief Moynahan spoke up: "There was a lot to unpack in that little Bettina broadcast. So Maple & Hogue are done?"

I said "Yes sir. They formally filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in Federal Court in Lexington earlier this week. Harriet Hogue is going to try to keep her staffing company going as a separate entity, but she faces an uphill battle. And Gaston & Bertram, P.C. is the newest legal beagle firm based in our Town & County, after making a deal with Lowe, Ball & Lynch to leave quietly."

"And Bettina's little shot at Laura?" Teresa asked. "Was that just a cheap shot? Or is there a lot more to that?"

"I don't know." I said. "But I'm glad you're catching on that KXTC seldom does anything without a reason behind it. Kind of like a certain author on the Literotica website. He always has a reason for whatever he writes about. He always has a reason...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello and welcome to Fox Eight University Sunrise!" said athletic blonde Catrina Pierce at 8:00am, from the KFXU studios. "I'm Catrina Pierce, and with me as always is Priya Ajmani. Good morning, Priya."

"Good morning, Catrina." said the gorgeous Indian reporterette. "Good morning, everyone. Here is what's in the news. Stanley Locklear was acquitted of capital murder charges yesterday, ending a highly politicized trial filled with acrimonious exchanges between the Prosecution and Defense, and some unusual rulings from the Bench."

Catrina: "ADA Savannah Fineman's attempt to turn the trial into a referendum on the important concepts of the Castle Doctrine, the right to defend one's home, and the 'Stand Your Ground' law passed in this State, was totally rebuffed by the seven-woman-five-man Jury, who unanimously found that Mr. Locklear acted in defense of himself and his family in shooting who he believed were home invaders sexually assaulting his wife."

Priya: "Marla Locklear, Stanley Locklear's wife, testified that she had set up the scenario as a roleplay surprise for her husband on their anniversary. The testimony between her and Mr. Locklear, who did testify in his own defense, contradicted each other in several places. Most significantly, Mrs. Locklear claimed she unloaded her husband's self-defense gun, while he testified that he never reloaded it. Nevertheless, the gun was loaded when it was used to shoot and kill Tom Maple and Chuck Hogue."

Catrina: "Adding to the intrigue of the case, Mr. Maple and Mr. Hogue were Stanley Locklear's business partners. And the Locklear's marriage counselor, Dr. Peter Frost, was murdered last weekend. His killer was found and she testified in the trial."

Priya: "The District Attorney's Office has announced that there will be no charges against Marla Locklear, and that they consider the matter closed. However, District Attorney Miriam Walters has shuffled the assignments of her ADAs, restoring Paulina Patterson to duties working on Major Crimes cases, while Savannah Fineman will prosecute drug cases."

Catrina: "There has been considerable controversy over senior Superior Court Judge Patrick R. Folsom's rulings from the Bench. He steadfastly refused to allow the videotapes of Dr. Peter Frost's sessions to be viewed, even by the Police, and refused to allow videos alleging Dr. Frost had sexual relations with Marla Locklear to be shown to the Jury. And he ordered those videos and files re-sealed after the verdict was reached."

Priya: "Judge Folsom cited the long-held legal sanctity of 'doctor-client' privilege, much like 'attorney-client' privilege, the sanctity of the Catholic confessional, and the Press's right to keep sources secret, as his reasons for not allowing the material involving Dr. Frost to be examined. And those prohibitions did not stop Commander Donald Troy from solving the case and making a successful arrest, nor the Jury from finding Mr. Locklear not guilty..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

*CLICK!*

Chief Deputy Cindy Ross expertly used the remote to turn off the television monitor after my three Angels and I watched the KFXU broadcast in my office. She said "I thought they would talk a lot more about the Jury's decision than they did. And maybe they will later on. Priya told me that most of the Jury allowed themselves to be interviewed by the Prosecution, Defense, and some reporters after the trial was over and they were released."

"What did the Jury say?" I asked, curious myself.

Cindy: "For the majority of them, it was all about the reasonable doubt. They were more than curious about those Frost tapes, and some were angry that they were denied the opportunity to see them. And that's what ultimately led the two black women that were holding back to change their minds. They'd been saying the two victims weren't armed at the moment Locklear shot them and he could have just held them at gunpoint until the Police arrived. But they were convinced by arguments from the others that something was being held back from them, and there was no way Stanley Locklear should be facing death penalty charges for what transpired."

Tanya said "So the political issues weren't a factor?"

Cindy replied "Not according to Priya. Those factors weren't even discussed."

"Interesting." I said, halfway in a reverie.

Teresa said "I didn't say anything in the coffee klatch, since Paulina was in there and the Sheriff was taking credit for Miriam Walters changing her tune, but I am wondering if Miriam changed things back because she knew she was going to lose Paulina if she didn't."