Problem Solving

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At first, I couldn't make sense of what she was saying, until it dawned on me that more than a few people believed I went away for the sole purpose of ending my own life. I eventually convinced her that was the last thing on my mind, mainly because of 2 reasons. Firstly because I knew that would be the last thing Anne would want, and secondly because I had to find Anne's murderer and deliver retribution.

She seemed happy and shocked at the same time. Happy I wasn't suicidal, but shocked as I had never before shown that I had any mean streaks in me. I explained that I didn't know either until that day my Anne was murdered. I further explained some of the very dark thoughts I had on how I would extract my retribution. That really made her shudder. The Spanish Inquisition had nothing compared to some of my ideas.

That evening, I had dinner with Pete, Beth and their 3 kids. It was good to reconnect with family. Beth suggested a family reunion would be appropriate in the near future. Pete suggested it would be a great idea if Beth organized it all. Beth, realizing she put herself in that position, reluctantly agreed to take on that task.

It was 4 days later when it all changed. I don't actually remember most of exactly what happened myself, but by putting together witness statements and security video gathered by the Coroner's Inquest, this is the best I can come up with:

It began when I stepped out of the coffee shop where I had met with Beth about the reunion. 3 police cars, with sirens blaring, screeched to a halt 50 meters down the street. The officers jumped out and took positions behind their vehicles with weapons drawn. Then from across the street in the 7/11 came a volley of gunfire.

I quickly threw Beth back inside the coffee shop yelling for her to 'KEEP DOWN!" I then saw Pete, who was moving for a better position when he was hit and dropped behind another vehicle....That's what I know I saw, but in my mind, I saw my Anne die there in front of me. I don't remember anything else until I was in the back of an ambulance, with Pete leaning over me saying, "Don't you dare die on us you bastard!"

Apparently, when Pete went down, I let loose a roar unlike anyone had heard before. I then ran to Pete, quickly checked him over, then picked up his pistol and made my way to his vehicle. Once there, I opened the boot and retrieved his shot gun and proceeded calmly into the 7/11, firing at anything that moved.

By following my movements on the cameras, it could be seen that when the shot gun was empty, I picked up a dead gang members gun and continued firing, until there were only 2 of the 8 gang members left. At this stage, they had enough and dropped their weapons, raising their hands. I told them to kneel with their hands behind their backs.

It was at this point I lost my humanity. I picked up their weapons and held to the back of their heads. I then asked, "Who murdered my wife 6 months ago?" They said they didn't know. I said that was too bad. I then executed them with a bullet to their head from their own weapons. I then collapsed in a pool of my own blood.

After seeing Pete in the ambulance, my next memory was waking in hospital 3 weeks later. I had been shot 7 times, but in my rage, had never felt any of them. I had lost so much blood by the time the paramedics patched me enough to travel, they had Pete ride in with me so they could do a direct blood transfusion from him while we headed to hospital.

The next 4 months were a long and sometimes painful recovery. Rehab was a bitch, although my physio was very cute. She flirted with me, mostly I believe to distract me from the pain. She was a hard taskmaster, but with her encouragement, I could finally look after myself, even though Beth, along with Pete and the rest of my family tried to smother me.

I had become a 'media sensation' and they all wanted a piece of me. One of the advantages of growing up in a smaller town was most everybody knew everybody and we looked out for each other. As it happened, the local Magistrate had gone to school with our parents, so when Pete approached him about keeping the media at bay, he was more than happy to issue an order keeping all media at least 500 meters from me, my family and my residence as well as my place of work. Pete and the rest of our police enforced that with prejudice.

A month after I started back at work full time, I received a call from Judge Hanson, our Magistrate, warning me the state prosecutor wanted a warrant issued for my arrest regarding the murder of the 2 gang members. I had expected something like this to happen. Pete warned me it could happen, as I had stepped outside the 'self defense' guidelines by continuing after they surrendered.

Judge Hanson gave me the name and number of a barrister who wanted my case and was expecting my call. Just before we disconnected, I said, "We never had this call, did we?" The Judge said, "I always knew you were a good man Jack." I called Alwin Richards and met with him that afternoon.

So it came to pass a week later, with a phone call from my barrister, that the warrant had been issued. He suggested it would be prudent if I were to present myself to the court instead of being arrested. I had already signed many documents so Alwin could act on my behalf. One of which I found out later, lifted the restraining order on the media.

I had Pete drop me off at Alwin's office. When we arrived, I was sure every media outlet in the world had a representative there. Alwin came out to meet me, then guided me inside the building. Just before closing the door, he said to the waiting throngs, "After we meet with the State Prosecutor, I will deliver a statement!"

By the time we got to the prosecutor's office, there were crowds lining the streets demanding the prosecutor's sacking. It was clearly turning into a farce. Alwin turned to me saying "Sorry, but I seem to be enjoying this a little too much." He had already explained that he and the prosecutor, David Jones, hated each other with a passion. Something about a girl when they were back in school.

An hour later, I was released without any charges laid. Alwin and his team were very good at what they did. Alwin argued, that when I spoke to the gang members, they turned toward me, and to him it looked like they were going to attack me. He then said to David he was sure he could convince any jury to see that's what happened in the video. Especially considering the circumstances at the time, and the views of the crowds outside Davids window.

He also reiterated how, apart from my brother Pete's injury, which everyone believed is what instigated my involvement, my brave actions had prevented at least 15 innocent people being injured or killed, 2 of whom were police officers.

Pete met me back at Alwin's office a couple of hours later. He had a feed of fish and chips with him, so we all dug in until we were sated. He then explained he would take me to a safe house for a couple of days. When I asked why, he said the word on the streets was I have a price on my head. I could understand that. After all, I had basically gotten away with murder.

I convinced Pete to swing by my house first, saying I needed fresh clothes and a few other things. When we arrived, I went up to the bedroom and packed 2 bags. I brought them down and headed to the garage. Pete asked where I was going and when I said the car, he shook his head 'No'. When I asked why, he explained it would be an easy target.

Telling him I understood was easy, explaining why I wanted to take it with me wasn't. I said I had expected retribution from the gang whether I went to jail or not, so had made plans for either scenario. I said, "Besides, I'm not leaving here without that and my rifle!" He glared at me but knew I was very serious.

I looked at him and asked if he could be my brother now instead of a cop. He slowly nodded 'yes' and I retrieved my rifle and ammunition from under the stairs. He was about to say something when I said I needed to be able to defend myself if required. I finished loading his car and said "Lets go."

We went to a local truck stop for a meal and to wait for night to fall. While we waited, I explained my plan to Pete to use my car as bait to see what they would do. As my brother, he thought it was good. As a cop, he thought it was dangerous. I surmised by saying either way, I was in danger. I may as well be pro-active in keeping myself as safe as possible. Dad always said the best defense is a good offense... I planned on overwhelming them with 'offense'.

30 minutes after dark, I parked my car in the spot I previously picked out. It was in a nearly deserted area, 2 blocks from the seedy motels that rented by the hour. I walked to the first motel, went around the back, jumped the fence where Pete waited for me. We then quietly drove to the safe house. Pete left me there and went home to Beth. He was going to stay, but I didn't want him in any more danger than necessary.

Before I went to bed, I loaded the 4 clips, seating one in the slot, and placed 4 boxes of cartridges discreetly around the house. Surprisingly, I slept well that night. In the morning I made a coffee, knowing Pete would show up soon. 5 minutes later, there he was with bacon and egg muffins and hash browns. The breakfast of champions.

After we ate, he leaned forward in his chair and asked if I slept well. He then asked if I stayed in all night. I said I did. When I said nothing further, he asked if I was curious why he asked those questions. I said not really, but you are dying to tell me anyway, hey! He called me a fucking smart arse.

He proceeded to ask if I had any idea why there would be the bodies of 4 gang members laying around my car after a report of gunshots at 3am this morning. I shrugged my shoulders, saying maybe they should keep their noses out of other peoples business. I asked him if the car was still there, and he said it was getting towed later that day. I almost yelled, "NO, it has to stay there for now!" He stared at me while I explained it was the only safe way to identify who was looking for me. He reluctantly called his boss to plead my case. Eventually his boss agreed with me that it was better to sacrifice a car than a person.

During the day we watched some TV while chatting about when we were kids. Then the subject of the future came up. Pete was saying how he believed Anne would want me find someone and move on with my life, not just wither away and die. He reminded me it had been nearly 18 months since Anne passed and it was time to start moving on with my life.

I told him now was not the time to be thinking about a future, with a contract hanging over my head. He replied they were making headway and arresting people daily. I burst out laughing and he asked, "What's so fucking funny?" I reminded him how the police were under-resourced, under-manned and under-gunned and had been for years. He wasn't happy about it, but had to agree with my statement.

I then got very serious and told him he needed to get Beth and the kids out of town until this was resolved. I suggested he should join them as well. He threw back at me how they were already under-manned and needed everyone they could get. I couldn't argue with him there, but I told him I needed him there as my brother, not a cop. I couldn't defend myself if I was handcuffed. Very reluctantly he agreed.

I called our parents on speaker phone and we brought dad and mum up to speed. Pete asked if Beth and the kids could stay with them until it was safe to return. Of course they agreed and dad promised they would be safe with them. We worked out some logistics to get things started and Pete promised that Beth would call later that night. Pete called for some food for me and after it arrived, he went home to get Beth and the kids organized.

It was 2.17am when I was woken by my phone ringing. It was Pete and he said he was out the front of the house and coming in. I opened the door for him, then stood back with my rifle aimed at the doorway. As he stepped through, he froze, seeing me there pointing my gun at him. I asked if he was alone and he said yes, so I lowered my weapon and he sighed with relief. I explained I wasn't sure he hadn't been compromised so played it safe.

We sat in the kitchen and I made coffee while he explained why he was here. It appeared that some other gang members got too close to my car again. This time there were 3 bodies and 1 survivor who had both knees shot out and was given a message to pass on to the other gangs around town. The message was simple. "If you want to stay alive, you have a week to leave town." He couldn't identify who told him that because he was all in black and wearing a ski mask.

When Pete said he needed to see my rifle, I refused saying I wouldn't give it up. He replied he didn't want to take it, just see if it had been fired recently. I asked if he could just take my word I hadn't shot anyone with it. He looked at me for what seemed like an hour but was really only about 10 seconds, then said 'Yes'.

Over a second cup of coffee, he told me Beth and the kids would leave first thing in the morning for our parents place. That had me feeling better. I then told Pete I would be in different accommodations later that night, explaining although this was a 'safe house', it was only a matter of time before it was compromised. When he asked where I was going, I said I would feel better if no-one knew but I would keep in touch with him. I also told him to have my car towed late that afternoon.

At 1pm I received a call from dad, saying Beth and the kids arrived safely. He had already called Pete. He quietly asked if I needed back-up. He and some of his friends were Vietnam vets and knew how to look after themselves. I thanked him for the offer, but said we really needed him to look out for Beth and his grandkids. That appeased his protective, warrior instinct.

About an hour before dark, Pete showed up ready to take me anywhere I wanted to go. When I told him I already had transport arranged, he looked disappointed. I laughed and said it was a nice try, but I had expected it. I reminded him he had a family to look after and at the present time, I didn't. When he was leaving, I implored him not to follow me when I moved, saying it would feel like a betrayal.

Around 9pm I loaded my gear into the waiting car, then lay on the back seat as we drove to my new digs. 35 minutes later, I was ensconced in what could be called a mini fortress. Solid, reinforced concrete walls and roof. It had a shower and toilet area. Plus kitchen facilities. Also what looked like a converted store room for a bedroom. It was originally a small pre-fab factory in an industrial area of town. After my third day there, I was getting restless and thinking how to amuse myself tomorrow.

Early the next morning Pete rang saying we needed to talk. I told him to meet me in the 'hole' in an hour and make sure to bring his boss with him. I had something important to discuss. The 'hole' is what we called a cave Pete and I played in sometimes when we were kids.

When I got there, Pete and his boss, Mike, were waiting. Before I could open my mouth, Mike blurted out, "You really need to tell me what the fuck is going on Jack?! After last night, I need an explanation!" I asked if he really wanted to know. He said "No, but I need to know what's going on." Mike and I had gone through school together and were good friends. It was time to level with him.

First I told him I needed his word this was between friends, not me and a couple of cops. He and Pete agreed, so I went on to say that we all knew there was really only one way this shit would end. That was with either me or the gangs being dead and buried. They started to protest I was wrong, when I yelled, "Get the fuck out of your bureaucratic, dystopian little world and open your fucken eyes!! You can't stop them! You can't control them! Everyone knows they own this town! This is going to happen whether you want it or not and I have absolutely no intension of dying anytime in the near future."

"Now I need to know if you are with me or against me? I understand you are hobbled by the legal system in a way that I'm not. All I'm asking is for the police to worry about the rest of our town and let me take care of myself. PLEASE?"

He said if I explained about last night, he would agree. I held out my hand and we shook in agreement. I then told him I knew as much as he did regarding last night. I wasn't there, but knew that over a 2 hour period, every gangs headquarters was fire bombed and the message to leave was repeated. He informed me about what was being said on the street.

Apparently, the gang leaders had gotten together for the first time ever and decided I was a problem that had to be dealt with immediately. As soon as my location was known, a concerted effort involving every gang in town would be launched against me. Both Pete and Mike implored me to leave, but I told them this had to end, and end for good.

It doesn't take long for word to spread in a small town like ours. By lunchtime, the streets were empty, apart from all the gang members out looking for me. Shortly after dark, mayhem erupted when every gang leaders house erupted in flames. Despite numerous calls, the fire brigade refused to attend citing fear for their safety.

4 hours later, mayhem erupted again when it was reported I was sitting on top of the steps of the town hall in the city square. It was actually a rectangle shape about the size of 2 football fields. Over 400 gang members converged on the town hall. Standing in front of them, all the leaders faced toward me with guns drawn. With their threats flowing freely, I never uttered a sound or moved. 2 of them were enraged enough to start firing.

What happened next would have been comical if it wasn't so serious. The head and both arms fell off the mannequin they had shot. Before they could react, 6 quick shots rang out, killing 6 gang leaders. Then what I expected to happen, happened, but with much more devastating effects than I ever thought possible.

With all the years of mistrust and violence toward each other, I knew it would be a powder keg waiting to explode between the gangs. It was nothing short of a bloodbath. It turned into a hailstorm of bullets. They shot blindly, not caring, just hoping to survive somehow. Less than 75 of them lived through the night.

After the last bullet was fired, I turned to my left and said solemnly, "Well Uncle Max, I think that problem is solved. We should go and say hi to Pete and Mike." He nodded in agreement as we made our way down from our rooftop vantage points of the town hall. Firstly we headed back to the factory to disarm and shower and change. As Max drove, I called Pete, and after the abuse stopped, I said I understood he was a bit busy, but he needed to meet me at my place in an hour and bring Mike with him.

Max and I were in the kitchen with a beer when Pete and Mike came through the back door. Pete was surprised when he saw Max sitting at the table. I got 2 more beers and handed them one each. Mike tried to refuse but I said, "In this room, you are off duty." I told Pete he needed to apologize for the abuse he heaped on me earlier. He told me to go fuck myself.

He explained, when he heard on the radio I was at the town hall, he knew I was going to die. He and Mike raced into the city trying to save me, but they got there just in time to see me get shot. He was absolutely gutted watching me die. They were about 100 meters away when it all went down and had to take cover during the ensuing melee.

It was Mike who spotted the 2 dark figures moving from the rooftop after all the shooting. When Pete's phone rang with my number, Mike told Pete he needed to answer that. Hearing my voice, Pete just lost it with relief. But still refused to apologize. Mike complained that we had left him one hell of a shit-show to clean up.