Problem Solving

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When she mentioned there was a guy she was interested in, I felt Jill's grip tighten, so I leant over and whispered to her that I would have Pete check him out for us. At that, she relaxed again. Obviously, Dr Susan was right in her diagnosis.

It was an hour later when Beth and Pete had to leave to be home for their kids after school. The nurses were starting their afternoon rounds, so I thought this would be a good time for us all to leave. As I stood, Jill gripped my hand so tight, I thought I might get a couple of broken fingers. It was the grip of someone holding on to stop from falling into the abyss. In the end, it took all 3 kids promising Jill that I would be back tomorrow, for her to let go.

On the way home, the kids and I discussed Jills condition and what Dr Susan had said about it. Lisa was the one who said it best, when she stated she thought her mother had a nervous breakdown. That had been my thinking, but I just could not come out and say it in front of the kids. Toby and Debra went along with Lisa, although I felt they didn't want to believe their mother was that ill.

After we arrived home and settled down, Toby, being a typical teenaged boy remembered we had missed lunch. I had him call out for a couple of pizzas so we could have an early dinner. Somehow, we ended up with 5 pizzas and 6 garlic bread between 4 people. But it was Mama Casa's pizza, so that I could understand.

While we ate, Lisa volunteered to take time off university to look after Jill. I straight up rejected that idea, saying how that would be the last thing Jill would want. Toby and Debra backed me up by telling Lisa they agreed with me about what Jill would want for her. They also said they would help to look after their mother when they weren't at school.

About 8pm, my mum called to say her and dad would be at our place around midafternoon the next day. When I asked why they were coming, mum said Uncle Max had called and told them about Jill being in hospital and her condition, so they were coming to look after her when she was released. I knew it was useless to argue, so I just told her we would see them tomorrow.

The following morning, I woke Toby and Debra in time for them to get ready for school. They wanted to stay with their mother, but I was finally able to convince them she would still be unconscious for at least most of the day and it would please her if they kept up with their education. They eventually agreed and after breakfast, they headed off for another exciting day of education.

Lisa had made her way into the kitchen while her two younger siblings finished getting organized. I could see she had been crying during the night, so I went to her and gave her a 'dad hug'. You know the one that says, "Everything will be all right", without the words being spoken. I knew it was the right move when Lisa hugged me back and said, "How is it you always know exactly what us kids need and when we need it?" I just shrugged my shoulders and smiled at her.

I asked Lisa what her plans were for the day. She told me she would be with her mother and asked me when we were leaving for the hospital. I told her I would have to go into work to organize time off while her mother recovered. I asked Lisa if she would drive Jills car this morning and then come back to the house to let her grandparents in this afternoon. She was quite happy to do that for me.

When I arrived at work, I dropped by Roland's office and explained everything that happened. He told me to take all the time I needed. He just asked if I could be available by phone if needed. I had no problem with that. I then stopped and spoke with Bill, my number 1, and outlined the situation to him. He was more than happy to step up to the plate.

By this time, it was nearly 11am, so I headed to the hospital. When I walked into Jills room, Lisa was reading the society section of the newspaper out loud to her mother, even though Jill was still unconscious. For some strange reason, I found this to be totally unsurprising, which surprised me. Weird hey?? But then again, Jill always tried to keep up with what was happening around town.

When I sat on the bed, Lisa and I watched Jill automatically reach for my hand. Lisa said that apart from breathing, that had been the only movement her mother had made since she arrived this morning. About 10 minutes later, the nurse came in to check Jills vital signs, and I mentioned about Jill reaching for my hand when I sat down. She wrote on the chart and quickly left the room.

Less than 5 minutes later, a doctor came rushing in and introduced himself to Lisa and myself as Doctor James Rush, but he would prefer it if we called him Jim, as it made for a more relaxed atmosphere. He said he was the head of the hospitals mental health unit and because of my reputation, had taken personal responsibility for Jill's case.

I looked him in the eye and asked in a serious tone, "What do you mean, my reputation?" He paused, thinking, then carefully replied, "You are probably the most respected person this town has ever had. From what I have heard since I started here 9 years ago, if it wasn't for your heroic actions, then this whole town would have disappeared."

I had a short chuckle and told him he shouldn't listen to gossip. I was no hero, just a guy whos wife was murdered and I got very pissed off, then I lost my shit and took it out on those I thought were responsible. He said that is not the way everyone else saw it, but if that was how I dealt with it, it worked for him as well. He turned his attention to Jill, asking me about the hand holding.

I explained what happened yesterday, then about when I arrived today. He asked if we held hands often and I told him whenever we walked together, we did. He then tried explaining that it just seemed like a natural reaction for Jill to reach for me, but I stumped him with the fact how she wouldn't let me go yesterday without the kids intervention. He had no explanation for that.

Lisa asked him what happened to Jill to make her go into the coma in the first place. He said that without talking to Jill, there was no way to be really sure, but he surmised, from the information we gave Dr Susan, that Jill had a major conflict with her emotions of meeting her ex-husband again, followed by her accusations toward me, then me leaving in the middle of the night, it was enough that she couldn't reconcile everything, and she shut down.

He preempted my next question by saying he had no idea how long before Jill woke, or how long a recovery might take, but he did believe, with all of us supporting her, she would make a full recovery.

Suddenly, we heard Jill quietly calling my name. When we turned toward her, she had tears streaming down her cheeks, while looking longingly at me. Both Lisa and I wrapped Jill in a hug, while Jim slowly left the room. There were tears aplenty form the three of us. Jill tried to apologize, but neither Lisa nor I would accept she had done anything wrong.

About 5 minutes later Jim came back in with Dr Susan and a nurse. When Dr Susan asked Lisa and I to wait outside, Jill said forcefully, "NO! They stay here." Everyone in the room jumped at the outburst. Dr Susan recovered quickly and gently suggested to Jill it would be easier if Lisa and I could move back from the bed a bit, so she and the nurse had room to work. Jill agreed, but never took her eyes off me until Dr Susan and the nurse finished and left. She quickly retook my hand again.

During all this, I noticed Jim had been taking copious notes. I glanced at him, and was about to say something, when he discretely shook his head, meaning not to ask anything yet. I was sure neither Jill nor Lisa noticed our interaction. Which I believed was a good thing, because I know women are very good at asking awkward questions, at inappropriate times.

Jill asked Jim how soon she could go home. He said he would like her to stay for a couple of days, just to make sure she wouldn't pass out again. I thought it was clever of him not to directly mention any emotional issues she had, and I don't think Jill even realized it. Lisa suggested to Jill that sounded like a good idea, and when Jill looked back to me, I nodded my agreement.

A short while later, Lisa said she needed to go home to welcome her grandparents. I explained to Jill they were coming to help with her recovery. I knew she wanted to protest, but I reminded her how stubborn my mother could be, so it was best not to argue. That got a smile out of her.

That evening, mum and dad brought Toby and Debra to visit their mother. There were tears all round, but they were more tears of happiness and relief, than sadness. Jill tried apologizing for her actions, but we all refused to acknowledge any wrongdoing by her. I stated that we all had that point, that when it was reached, we had no control of our actions, and I for one should know it. Everyone agreed with me.

So, two days later, mum and I brought Jill home. Everything seemed to go back to normal after about 3 hours. Jill was nervous at first, but soon enough settled back into a somewhat regular routine. She even insisted on making lunch for everyone.

Over the next few months, both Jill and I had joint and separate counseling sessions with Jim. My sessions were mainly focused on helping Jill, however Jim did try to get me to open up about my past.

The first time I just fobbed him off. The second time, I stood up and told Jim to follow me. We walked to the hospital administrator's office, I knocked once, then went straight in. Albert Johnson, yes, another relation, looked up asking me what was going on. I told him that while young Jim here is a very good doctor, he needs learn when to back off and stop asking personal questions that have answers that are better off staying unanswered. With that, I left Albert to explain some life facts to Jim.

At out next session, Jim apologized and said it would never happen again. At the 5 month mark, Jim gave us his final diagnosis. In his opinion, he believed it was seeing her ex that triggered Jill's memory of the abuse she suffered, even though Jill believed she had forgiven Allan. He didn't think Jill would have any further major problems, but if she did, he was only a phone call away.

Sometime later, Jill and I bumped into Jim and his wife at Mama Casa's. We ended up sitting at the same table while we ate our food. During the conversation, Sacha, Jims wife, asked me outright if I was as bad as Albert made me out to be. I saw a shocked expression on Jills face as I calmly looked at Sacha and asked her what she could possibly mean by that.

She explained that according to Albert, it was me who engineered the whole scenario in the square and set everything in motion. I replied that what happens in my personal life is supposed to remain personal and besides, why would that impact on her or Jim. She said that Albert had told Jim the same thing about my personal life, and that if he didn't leave it alone, he would give me Jims home address.

That gave me a chuckle and I told Sacha that they didn't have to worry about that........anymore! The look on their faces at that moment made the cost of their meal, that I had decided to pay for, worth every cent. As we all left Mama Casa's, Jim commented that I was very good at keeping a straight face while telling a joke. By this time we had reached our car, Jill and I got in and I said to Jim, one problem I had my whole life was, that there was no way I have ever been able to NOT laugh when telling a joke. I closed the door and we drove off.

Three block from the restaurant I pulled over because Jill and I were laughing so hard, we had tears in our eyes. When we were laying in bed that night, Jill made the comment that I had never told her the whole story of that night so many years ago. I wrapped her in my arms and said, "There are only 3 people who know the details, and it is not that I don't trust you, but nobody else needs the drama of that night. Please trust me on this!" She said she would.

Fast forward 7 years and Jill and I are grandparents of twin girls, thanks to Lisa and her husband Dave. They met at Uni and married 2 years ago. These days you don't 'have' to get married when you're pregnant, but apparently my reputation made Dave think it would be a good idea if they did. Personally it didn't worry me, after all Jill and I started the same way, but there was no chance I will admit that in public.

Toby followed his Uncle Pete into the police force. I have heard there is a rumor going around that Toby has the same attitude toward gangs as his father. No idea who started that one...!! Our youngest, Deb, is studying to be an accountant. She is seeing a wonderful girl named Anne.

It was a bit strange when we first met Anne. Deb said she wanted us to meet someone she was interested in. She wouldn't give any more details. It was decided to meet at Mama Casa's. As we waited for Deb, they walked in. I couldn't move and started shaking. It was as if I was reliving the past. When they got to the table, I just said one word, "Anne". All three women looked at me. Deb asked how the hell did I know her girlfriends name.

I felt a panic I had never felt before. I wanted to run, but I felt that familiar whisp of warm air caress my face once again. I slowly dug into the back of my wallet and pulled out a very old photo and laid it on the table. Jill already knew who was in the photo. She had seen it before and knew I carried it with me.

Our kids knew my first wife had died, but not any of the details. I had a feeling that would change soon. When the girls saw the photo, they both paled and quickly sat. Anne stammered, Who?... When?... How?... Where?... Deb just kept looking from the photo to me and back again, with the occasional glance toward her mother. I thought it would be prudent to take this conversation back home, so I changed our order 'to go' and had Jill take the girls to Deb's car and ride home with them while I brought the food with me.

This also gave me some time to get my head together while I figured out the best way to start this conversation. By the time I arrived home, the ladies had the table set, so we all filled our plates and sat around the table. Deb was the first to speak, "Is that photo who I think it is?" I nodded and said, "Yes. My first wife...Anne." With that, Anne let out a loud sob.

Deb quickly comforted her until she settled. When she did, Anne said something that threw us all for a loop. "My mother had an older cousin who was murdered many years ago. I am named in honor of her. When I saw that photo, it was like looking in a mirror. Would it be alright with you for me to call mum and let her know what's happening?"

I said that would be fine, but suggested she wait until tomorrow as I was sure her mother would like to speak with me as well, and I needed some time to work through my feelings. She agreed with that. We finished eating and the girls cleaned up while Jill sat with me on the back veranda. I was contemplating the day when Jill said, "That was a bit more that I was expecting today. How are you holding up?" I replied, "I have no idea. It still hasn't sunk in yet."

Just then Deb and Anne came out with coffee for all of us. Deb sat on my lap and snuggled in, just like she did when she was a little girl. She said, "I'm sorry for upsetting you today daddy." I told her she didn't upset me, that was just how life screwed with you sometimes. I also told her I was very happy she had found someone she loved and all I cared about was that she was happy.

I had a thought. I had Deb stand up, then I went over to Anne and took her hand. When she stood, I walked her in front of Jill and said, "Because my daughter is a slacker, we haven't been formally introduced. I am Jack Johnson and this is my wife, Jill. We are very pleased to meet you. Welcome to our home." I then shook her hand. At that, everyone broke out with laughter. Deb told Anne that maybe one day I would be able to tell a joke that was actually funny.

That dissipated any awkwardness we felt. I was still having some trouble coming to grips with the uncanny resemblance Anne had to my late wife. Jill had some trouble with the way Anne had come into our lives. She never had the slightest idea Deb even might be gay. I don't care what someones sexual orientation is, as long as they never try to force their views and lifestyle on anyone else.

At bedtime, Deb and Anne looked a little lost until I gently took Annes hand, saying I would show her to her bedroom. No-one quite knew what to say when I led her to Deb's room and said, "Don't make too much noise during the night!" Deb had followed us upstairs and when I said that, she threw her arms around me, hugging me until I could barely breathe. I had Anne hugging me from the other side. When Jill joined in, I had to put a stop to it before I suffocated.

After breakfast the next morning, I called the women into the living room and asked Anne if she was ready to call her mother. She said she was, and I asked her to put her phone on speaker. When her mother, Nicole, answered, Anne gave her a basic outline of the circumstances around the call, then told her she was currently sitting with the man who was married to her cousin when she died. We all heard the sob through the phone. When I introduced myself, I asked Nicole if she had any questions for me and she broke down crying.

It took a few minutes for Nicole to regain her composure, and when she did, she said there were a million questions she wanted to ask but couldn't think of one of them right now. Nicole did ask me to tell her what happened to her cousin. I replied that was not a suitable conversation to have over the phone but would be amiable to speaking face to face at some point in time. Jill nodded her agreement to me.

Being a typical mother, Nicole then asked Anne how she ended up meeting me and finding out about my history. I could see Anne was immediately uncomfortable with that, so I butted in by asking Nicole for her contact details. I kept her talking, giving her the best times for Jill and I to get together with her and her husband.

When we finished, Anne said goodbye and disconnected. I simply said to Anne, "Your mother doesn't know, does she?" Anne shook her head 'No' and asked how I knew. Before I could answer, Deb said, "I learnt a long time ago that dad just knows things, and it's best to not ask questions you don't really want answers to." Anne then gave me a hug and said, "Thanks dad." I don't think she even realized she said it, but it was a jolt to the heart for me.

After lunch, the girls headed back to Uni. As they got in the car, I told Anne if she needed any help telling her parents about her and Deb, I would be happy to make myself available. She and Deb thanked me and drove off. Jill came over to hug me and she said, "I know just what you need!!" She proceeded to drag me up to the bedroom where we spent a very pleasant afternoon.

Two weeks later I received an email from Nicole setting up a time for our chat. It was decided to meet at their place, which was a 4 hour drive from our place. Jill and I decided to make it a long weekend, so I booked a motel for us. Nicole had wanted us to stay at their home but I didn't feel it would be appropriate, mainly because we had never met before.

I had spoken with Jill extensively about how this might go. I assured her that no matter what was said or happened this weekend, she would always be my number 1 girl. She told me she understood that there would always be a small piece of my heart that held on to a piece of Anne, but she could happily live with that.

We arrived at the motel Friday afternoon and settled in. I had arranged with Nicole to meet at their home around lunchtime, knowing that would be an emotional time for all of us. The surprise was on Jill and I when the door opened and there stood Deb and Anne. They apologized for not saying anything beforehand, but it was only just decided late yesterday they should be part of this experience.