Protected Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Fish took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Our tempers were running high, but Fish and I were trying to back away before one of us said something we'd later regret. "I agree, that looks like cartel, but that still doesn't answer the question of why. This is totally fucked up. We don't know what we're up against."

"You need to let this go, Colt," Grace softly. "We're all hurting right now, but you can't take all the blame on yourself, and you doing something stupid will only mean we'll be burying another brother. You."

I nodded. They were right, and I knew they were right, but I couldn't let go of the knot in my gut. "Yeah, okay, but I'm still going to stay on Willow."

Fish rolled his eyes. "What part of what we just said isn't sinking in?"

"It's not that. Not all that anyway. As I said, things are slow right now. I only have one job on my calendar, and that's for a livestock well because the one old man Harvey has is pumping sand when it gets really dry. He's in no hurry to get it deepened because we've had some rain. That means that's one less brother who needs to schedule around this. This is going to be hard enough as it is. If someone can spell me every now and again, I can make this work."

"And why are you in the kill box all the time?" Fish asked.

"Because that way we can use brothers as available. Every attempt has come during the day when she was away from her normal routine. I think we should set up a full parameter when she's out in the field, then maybe pull that back to just the man inside at night and when she's inside."

"Yeah, about that. Why is that?" Grace asked. "How do they know when she's going to be in the field unless they're watching? And why then?"

"Maybe they are watching." We each scanned the landscape but saw nothing.

"But why wait until she's out in the boonies?" Grace pressed.

"Harder to run, harder to get help, less chance of getting caught," Fish suggested. "I mean, look, we're only what, twenty feet off the road now? There's not a lot of traffic, but a rancher could come by at any moment, and we'd see the dust cloud from a mile away. But out in the scrub? Plus, if you think about it, that's about the only time she's out in the open. If whoever is trying to get to her wanted to try to take her in the RV or the recorder truck, they're going to have to get in close. More risk that way. In the recorder truck there's a witness who'd also have to be killed. Who's to say she doesn't have a gun? Does she have a gun?"

"I don't know," I replied, "but she will by tomorrow if she doesn't already."

"I guess that makes sense," Grace replied.

"You're not worried about them sneaking up in the middle of the night?" Fish asked.

"Yes, but that's on me. They'll have to come into the RV, and when they open the door, I'll be waiting."

Fish and Grace looked at each other. "I still don't like it. How are you going to protect her if you're strung out all the time?" Fish asked.

I shrugged. "I'll sleep when she does. I'll make sure the door to the RV is locked when we're in there. They won't be able to get in before I hear them." I paused then continued. "So make dammed sure I know you're coming before you get here. The last thing I want to do is bury another brother... especially one I shot."

"I still don't like the fact you're always the one in harm's way," Fish said softly. "It smells like guilt to me."

"I'm open to suggestions if you have a better plan."

"Rotate people inside," Grace said. "Like we were doing before."

"I know where you're coming from, but that reduces the number of brothers we can call on when we go into the field," I said. "That's when I'm really going to need the help, and I don't want brothers who can get away at a moment's notice, like you and Fish, spending their time when nothing is likely to happen. I need guys like you when we have to go into the field. The other guys, the ones who can't drop everything and ride out for coverage, they can be the ones who cover for me if I need to do something, cover weekends, that sort of thing."

"She could stop going into the field," Grace suggested

"You've met Willow Larke?" I asked. "If you can convince her of that, I'm all for it."

"Okay," Fish said. "I still don't like it, but we'll try it your way. I still think we need to scatter brothers around. Have them coming and going as they can, so if somebody is watching, they'll never be sure when someone might show up, plus, this way help is close." Fish grimaced. "Even when they called, you were what, an hour away? Being out in the middle of fucking nowhere makes this hard."

"Okay, that sounds like a good idea," I agreed. "It'll be nice knowing help is already on the way if the shit starts hitting the fan."

Fish opened the door, signaling we were in agreement, and we stepped back into the RV. "Okay, we have a plan," I said as I climbed the steps. She didn't respond. "Willow?"

"What?" she asked with a start.

"I said we have a plan. I'm going to be your shadow from now on. If I ask you, will you stop going into the field?"

She held my gaze for a long moment. "If I have to," she said softly.

That wasn't the answer I was expecting. "How important is it for you to be in the field?"

She shrugged as she looked at the floor again. "It's not that important."

This wasn't the Willow I knew, and I glanced at Fish and Grace. "Okay, we'll talk about it in the morning. Fish, stay with her. Grace, you're with me. I have to drive the Jeep back to get my bike, and then I need you bring the Jeep back. I have to go home for some clothes and stuff, and I need to check on Limpkin and break the news to Lilly. I'll be back as soon as I can."

"I've got her," Fish said.

"You know the Sheriff is going to show up," Grace pointed out.

Fish nodded. "We'll handle it. Only Willow was there, so there's no reason anyone else needs to be here. We can handle it as well as you."

I looked at her. She was again staring at the floor, unmoving. Having her agree to stay out of the field was the most telling sign that she wasn't thinking clearly, and I hoped a night's rest would help her. With a jerk of my head, I called my brothers to follow me into the hot Texas sun.