Protected Pt. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Which is why I printed the number, along with the words 'Call this number for the return of the merchandise,' on that piece of paper. I don't really need you tell him anything. If he calls, he gets his drugs back. It's as simple as that. If he doesn't..." I shrugged. "One less shipment of drugs makes it into the United States and there's one less mule to carry them."

The mule glared at me for a long moment before glancing down. "Okay. I'll do it."

"Smart man," I said, patting the mule on the shoulder like a new friend. I looked at Nolan, silently reminding myself to not use any names. "Go check on the progress of the transfer."

Nolan nodded and followed in Whiz's footsteps. Ten minutes later, both men came back in, panting slightly from their efforts. "Done. We had a hard time finding the cache."

I nodded at the mule. "Cut him loose," I ordered. Limpkin pulled out his knife, flicked the blade open with his thumb, and cut the zip tie with a flick of his wrist. I jerked my head to the door. "Your Tahoe is outside."

The man rubbed his wrists while backing slowly toward the door. "We're going to kill you," he sneered. "We're going to kill you and your families."

I pulled my weapon, pointed it at the man's head, and pulled the trigger. Everyone in the building flinched or ducked with the roar of my gun. "Then maybe I should just kill you now," I said, keeping my voice calm. "This can end with everyone getting what they want. All you have to do is be smart. Are you smarter than you look?" I asked, keeping my weapon pointed at the mule's head.

The man nodded and started backing out again, his hands up in front of him and his eyes wide. On the front of his pants was a large wet spot and a yellowish liquid dribbled out of his pants leg, adding to the spreading pool on the floor. "I'll give Señor Suárez your message," he said, all defiance gone from his tone. "Please, don't shoot me."

I didn't lower the weapon. "You can come out of this a hero. All I want is a few answers from Señor Suárez and, in exchange, he gets his drugs back."

The man nodded again, eager to please now. "I'll get the message to him. You can trust me."

I kept my weapon on the man until he was out the door. As I tucked it away, I watched as the man glanced at our truck. It was obvious he was making a note of the makes and models, and probably the plate numbers if he could have seen them. I mentally wished him good luck tracking us down based on the trucks we drove. This was Texas, and the chances of us having a truck so unique that it could be traced to one of us was slightly lower than zero.

"You think Suárez will get the message?" Limpkin asked as the man roared away.

"We'll know in a few days."

Nolan snickered. "You scared the shit out of me. I thought you shot the guy."

"Yeah, well, it could be worse... you could have pissed yourself," Whiz sneered. "Fucking pussy."

"I didn't like his attitude," I growled. "Come on, let's get out of here."

We walked out, checking to make sure the Tahoe was well away. We didn't want the guy playing hero and trying to follow us. If he tried, and we caught him, he was a dead man. I opened the rear door of my truck. In the floor were two large totes with lids. I opened one. Inside were tightly packed packages of a white substance.

"How many?" I asked.

"Fifty."

"And the mule's gun?"

"In the other tote."

"You had your gloves on?"

Whiz looked at me like was slow. "Yes, mother."

I sniffed out a single laugh. "Just making sure," I said as I pulled my gloves off. "Let's get the fuck out of here."

I didn't like driving around with fifty kilos of cocaine in the backseat of my truck, but it was too late to do anything with them tonight. I'd dump them tomorrow morning, first thing.

-oOo-

Willow was waiting just inside the door as I stepped into the kitchen and collapsed into my arms. "Thank God! I've been so worried!" she murmured as we took each other into an embrace.

I tipped my cheek into her head and closed my eyes, savoring the feel of her in my arms.

"How'd it go?" Goose asked.

I opened my eyes. "Okay. We bagged the mule, made our pitch, and sent him on his way."

"That easy?" Goose asked, his doubt clear in his voice.

I smiled. "Well... I did have to punch him in the face once, just to get his attention, and then I scared the piss out of him when he thought I'd shot him in the head." Goose continued to look at me, his face twisted in confusion. "After we let him go, he started running his mouth about killing us and our families. I shot at him. After that, he was much less... combative."

"And he pissed himself?" Goose asked with a chuckle.

"Yeah."

Goose shook his head as he grinned. "Think he'll deliver the message?"

"Probably. He's going to have to explain losing the drugs but not dying."

Goose nodded slowly. "Yeah... I wouldn't want to be that guy."

"Me either."

"Okay, I'm out of here. Call me if you need anything."

"I will."

"Take care, Willow," he said as he started toward us.

"I will... and thanks."

He smiled at her, nodded, but said nothing as he passed us and stepped into the garage. A moment later, I heard the rumble of his truck starting and the truck's headlamps illuminated the carport.

Willow was still in my arms, but I didn't mind that one bit. "I was so worried," she whispered as she placed her head against my shoulder again.

"It's almost over now. We sent the message. I expect we'll hear something within the next couple of days."

"Everything really went okay?" she asked as she pulled out of my arms.

"Nothing to worry about. He spit on me, and that's why punched his lights out, but other than that, it was just another day at the office."

"I wish you wouldn't joke about this. It's not funny."

"I never said it was."

"And you're sure the guy doesn't know who you are?"

"Never saw him before. Don't worry. We did everything we could to protect ourselves."

"Where are the drugs?"

"In my truck. I'll be waiting at Staley's when they open in the morning."

She was quiet for a moment. "Do you really think you can find out what they want and get the hit called off?"

"I don't know, but we have to start somewhere."

There was another long moment of quiet, but I didn't care. I'd stand there and hold her forever. "I'm sorry," she finally whispered.

I pulled her in a little tighter. "For what?"

"For being a bitch. You, and your brothers, have done so much for me, and for the last few days I have been treating you like shit. I was afraid, but that's no excuse. Will you forgive me?"

I smiled. I wasn't going to lose her. I tipped her head up and kissed her gently. "Already done. You were right to be scared. I'm still scared. If the cartel is actually coming after you, I can't protect you. Not forever. Eventually I'll make a mistake, or they'll simply overwhelm me, and kill you. If there is any chance to get this stopped, I have to take it."

She placed her head back against my chest. "Will you take me to bed and just hold me? The world doesn't seem so scary when you're holding me."

"Funny," I murmured, remembering the comfort having her in my embrace had given me when I was lost, "I feel the same way."

.

.

.

WILLOW

We were snuggling on the couch, watching the Astro's play. I couldn't care less about the game, but I was right where I wanted to be, tucked into Colt's side. It'd been three days since the BDMC captured the Víbora Cartel mule, and there'd been no response. Colt tried to hide it, but I could tell as the days passed, he was becoming more worried that the cartel wasn't going to contact them. I knew what he was thinking... the cartel wasn't going to bargain and was looking for them.

I swallowed hard. He'd done it again. He'd risked his life for mine. All the brothers of Buitre del Demonio had, and I'd never be able to repay the debt I owed them. I'd tried to push Colt out of my life, tried to harden my heart so that if something happened to him I wouldn't be hurt, but I couldn't do it. My inability to step away from him had forced me to admit what I was unwilling to admit before... that I was beginning to fall for him.

Tears began to well in my eyes as I contemplated him forfeiting his life for mine. I should walk away. If I really cared for him, I'd do what I had to protect him... but I was weak and couldn't leave him, not when there was a sliver of a chance. He'd managed to protect me thus far and stay alive. Maybe he could find out what the cartel wanted. I'd give the cartel anything, everything I had if I had to, but if that wasn't enough... somehow I had to find the strength to leave him behind.

I pursed my lips, fighting the urge to cry. I didn't want to think about the possibility of having to leave him. He was such a good man. After I'd apologize, he'd taken me to bed. I'd wanted him to hold me, but he'd done more than that. He'd made love to me, and it may have been even more magical than the previous time we'd made love... and that seemed to have been the end of it. He hadn't mentioned my bitchiness even once, and I resolved that I'd do better and give him every benefit of doubt.

I sniffed as quietly as I could, not wanting to burden him with my silly fears. I smiled soggily as I remembered last night. After we'd gone to bed, our passions had exploded as we burned off our anxiety and strengthened our bond. We hadn't made love, we'd fucked, and I'd thrilled in pleasing him as he pleased me in return. I'd had three massive orgasms, and Colt had finally come twice, his loud cries of rapture thrilling me at a deep level. After our passion was spent, he'd held me so close and warm, his kisses soft, gentle, and yes, even loving, until we fell asleep in each other's arms. It was the best of all worlds, explosive passion mixed with tender cuddles.

This was a man that deserved the very best I--

The cell phone rang, and my heart nearly seized in my chest. We both looked at the cell, and then each other, before Colt picked it up and accepted the call while switching off the television. He pressed the speaker button and held the phone between us.

"I'm listening," he said.

"You have something of mine, and I want it back," the heavily accented voice on the phone said.

"Señor Suárez?"

"You've made a serious mistake."

"Your drugs are safe and ready to be picked up by one of your men. All fifty keys."

"Where?"

"First, I need a couple of answers."

"I don't cut deals," Suárez growled.

"No deals. You'll get your drugs back. I just want you to answer a question. Do that and I'll tell you where your drugs are."

"What question?"

"Why do you have a hit on Willow Larke?"

There was a long pause and we heard the phone being shifted around. "Who's Willow Larke?" Suárez asked when he came back on the phone.

"She'd a geologist for Larke Oil."

"Geologist? That's someone who looks at rocks, yes?"

"That's right."

"Why the fuck would I put a hit on a geologist?"

"That's what I want to know."

There was another long pause, more sounds of the phone being moved around, and we could hear voices in the background speaking rapid fire Spanish. Suárez must have been covering the phone's mic with his thumb or something because I couldn't make out the words.

"Where?"

"Houston, almost four weeks ago. But there were four other attempts over the preceding several weeks."

"Houston?" There was another long pause, and again I could hear soft voices speaking quickly. Suárez was obviously consulting with someone. "There was no hit in Houston."

"Señor Suárez, I saw the tattoo myself. A coiled snake on the back of the man's neck under the hairline."

"And these other attempts, they all had the tattoo?"

"I can't say. They were hit and run jobs. Three from long distance with a rifle, and one up close and personal with automatic pistols, but I think it likely they were your people as well."

Again there was the background sounds of people talking. "We don't know this Willow Larke. There is no hit on her by the Víboras."

Colt stared at the phone a moment. "Your drugs are in the trunk of a black '95 Chevy Impala in Staley's Wrecking Yard in Eagle Pass. The car is in the last row, near the south end. You'll find the key to the trunk taped under the rear bumper. The drugs are in two totes along with the mule's gun."

"They'd better be there."

"They're there. I put them there myself. Nobody knows where they are except you and me."

"If they're not there, you're a dead man."

"Señor Suárez, I'm not interested in starting a war with you. Your drugs are there. Send a man you trust."

There was a long pause. "I admire you. You've got cojones, but if you ever try something like this again, I will find out who you are and I will kill you. Have I made myself clear?"

"Crystal. You've told me what I need to know and I have no need to bother you further. But a piece of advice, if I may, Señor Suárez. You and your Lieutenants may be unaware of these hits, but I suggest you investigate them. The man in Houston was no amateur. Someone in the Víboras may be working against your best interests."

There was another long pause, but there was silence this time. "I will investigate, but if these men were mine, and you killed them before they could complete their assignment, I may be interested in offering you a job."

"Thank you, Señor Suárez, but I'm not interested."

"I can make it worth your time."

"Señor, the last time someone said those words to me, they led me to taking these drastic measures to contact you."

For the first time I heard some mirth in Suárez's tone. "Very well, then."

"Thank you for the information, and I wish you luck in rooting out who is putting out a hit without your knowledge. For your sake and mine."

"I won't thank you for what you did, but if this is an unsanctioned hit, I will get to the bottom of it and have it stopped, as a courtesy to you for bringing this matter to my attention."

"Thank you, Señor Suárez."

"Is that it?" I asked when Suárez was gone.

"Yes."

"Do you believe him?"

"Do I believe he doesn't know about the hit? Yes. Do I believe it's somebody inside his organization? Yes, I believe that too... but the question remains, why? That does sort of explain why they kept missing. It's being done on the sly without the resources of cartel behind them." His lips twisted into a sardonic smile. "Lucky us."

"Do you think he can get it stopped?"

"If he finds out who's doing it? Without question. You don't go off on your own and bring down the heat. If you do, that's a sure and quick way to end up dead."

"And if he can't find out who's doing this behind his back?"

"Willow, I wish I could tell you. Something's still off about this. I can't figure out how they find you. How'd they know you were Houston? We'd just gotten there. Or, for that matter, how'd they know you were out in the field, and the even bigger question is, how'd they know where to find you. It's not like at your house where there's an address. Someone had to give them coordinates." He held my gaze for a moment. "You know where this is pointing, don't you?"

"Larke Oil," I murmured.

"Larke Oil," he confirmed.

"Why? That makes no sense!"

"I agree, but think about it. The day you showed up in the office, that night they took a crack at you."

"Those people are my friends!"

"I know that, but somebody isn't. Didn't you report in regularly with status reports and stuff when you were out in the field?"

"Yeah," I grunted, not liking how the evidence was mounting against Larke.

"So basically, they knew where you were the whole time. The cartel was just waiting to take the shot."

"It all makes sense," I agreed, "but I don't know who or why anyone would want me dead. I'm just a geologist!"

"And the daughter of the President. Maybe that's it."

"I've been working there since I was seventeen, and after fourteen years somebody finally decided they were jealous? That's crazy! Besides, you didn't know how to contact Suárez, and you were in the business. How the hell would somebody reach him to put out a hit on me?"

"He doesn't know, remember? There's some kind of back-channel shit going on."

"Assuming he's telling the truth."

"Why would he lie? I believe him."

I deflated. I'd heard the ring of truth in his voice myself. "Yeah, I do, too, but none of this makes any sense at all."

"No, it doesn't, but you slipped away in the middle of the night, nobody at Larke Oil knows where you are, and suddenly, no more attacks. You have to admit, that's pretty damning evidence. I think that's where we need to start looking next."

"Okay, but how?" I asked. "What are we going to do, call an all hands meeting and ask the person who put out the hit on Willow Larke to please raise their hand?"

"I wish it were that easy."

I was bummed that someone at work may have it in for me, but knowing the cartel wasn't after me, not directly anyway, and that Colt had managed to get the information we needed without incurring the wrath of Señor Suárez, was like a great weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I glanced out the window. The sun was setting and painting the sky with vivid oranges and golds.

"Me too." I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "What are you going to do with the phone?"

"I don't know. We can't use it anymore. I guess I'll throw it out."

I made a decision. "Now that we know I'm reasonably safe, I want to get out of this house!"

He smiled as he looked at me. "What did you have in mind?"

"Since tomorrow's Saturday and you don't have to work, I think you need to take me for a long ride on your hog."

"Okay. I like that plan."

"While we're out, you can dispose of the phone someplace."

"I'd planned to just toss it in the garbage."

"I'd feel better if were somewhere far away from here... just in case."

"Goose gave a fake name and address when he bought the--"

"I know," I interrupted, "but I'd still feel better."

He gave me a quick kiss. "Say no more."

"Then, when we get back, you need to give me another long ride."

"Does this mean you're not mad anymore?"

I looked down, my face heating with shame. "I wasn't mad. I was never mad. I was upset and afraid." I looked up and met his gaze. "I know that's no excuse, but..." I didn't know what else to say, so I shrugged.

"I'm sorry I upset you."

"You didn't. It's this fucking situation. It's making me crazy."

"Amen to that, sister... but I wouldn't change a thing."

"Bullshit," I grunted.

He held my gaze as a shadow of grief passed over his face. "Okay, a few things... but if it weren't for this fucked up situation, I wouldn't have met you."

I looked away. "I'm not sure I'm worth it."

He took my chin and gently pulled my face around and tipped it up so he could look into my eyes. "That's not on you."

"So you say."

"And I'll keep saying it until you believe it."

I tried to look away again, but he gripped my chin more firmly and forced me to look into his eyes. After a long moment, he slowly lowered his lips to mine. I accepted his slow, gentle kiss. As our lips slowly parted, I threw my arms around his neck and held him tight. I squeezed my eyes closed as he wrapped me up and held me close. I was so falling for this man!

-oOo-

"Willow! Where are you, Baby Girl?" Dad exclaimed from the phone.

"I'm still with Colt," I replied. I had my phone on speaker, and Colt was listening.

"You need to come home."

"I can't. Yesterday Colt contacted the Víbora Cartel. They didn't know who I was."

"I thought you said the guy who attacked you had a scorpion tattoo that identified him as Víbora Cartel?"