Protected Pt. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It was a snake, and I did, and he did, but the head guy, somebody named Suárez, said it wasn't them. I believe him."

"Why would you believe a drug smuggler?"

"Just because he smuggles drugs doesn't mean he always lies. You could hear it in his voice. He was as confused as we were."

"So the guy wasn't part of the cartel?"

"No, Colt still thinks the guy was cartel, but Suárez just didn't know anything about it. After we talked to Suárez, we realized there was only one other possible explanation. Someone was working for or with the cartel, feeding them information, outside of normal channels. Probably somebody there."

"You're crazy!"

"I know it sounds crazy, but think about it. The cartel always seemed to know where I was. They knew when I was at the drilling rig. They knew where I was almost as soon as I got home. The only time they had a hard time finding me was when I was at the RV, and that's because nobody at Larke Oil knew exactly where I was parked."

Dad was quiet for long moments. "I still can't believe it. There has to be another explanation."

"I'd like to hear it."

There was another long pause. "I don't know, but I can't believe anyone here would want to hurt you. What possible reason could there be?"

"I don't know, but until we figure that out, I don't think I'll be paying any visits to the office."

"Okay, I guess I can understand that, but you still need to come home. We can put extra security on you until I get to the bottom of this. If I find out it's somebody here, I'll kill them and shove them down a fucking drill shaft."

"Dad," I said in exasperation, "we've already been over this. No. Colt is doing everything possible to keep me safe, more than anyone else could do. Do you think some high-profile security firm could have found out the Víbora Cartel wasn't involved? I don't, but Colt did. Would you have guessed it's probably somebody at Larke Oil that's actually out to get me? I'd have never guessed that, but Colt did, and now I think he's right. No, so long nobody knows where I am, I'm safe right here."

"I still don't like it, Willow. I don't like you so far from home, out in the middle of nowhere, where I can't protect you."

"You've already done everything you can to protect me. You hired Colt."

"I still don't like it, but if you're safe there, okay," he said after a pause. "I'll turn this fucking company inside out if I have to. If someone is trying to hurt you, they're dead motherfuckers."

I smiled. Dad on the warpath wasn't a pretty sight. "How'd the explorer well do?"

"Don't worry about that. Your department is handling it."

"I'm not worried. I'm curious. Did you find oil where the software said we would?"

"It was off less than one percent."

"Fantastic!"

"Yeah. We're getting ready to sink four more wells, and we're going to begin fracking the first site later this week. Depending on what we find in the next holes, you may have cracked it. I might have to give you a raise."

I grinned. "It's about time!" I teased. "I want to sink one where we should hit water and a second into a void, as a confirmation."

"Is that necessary?"

"I know it's expensive, but we need to confirm what the software thinks is water is actually water, and that what it says is a void is actually a void and not a gas pocket. That was the trickiest bit to get right. I can run all the simulations I want, but until we sink a well, we won't know if it's accurate. It'll save us a shit load of money in the long run if we can depend on the program's output."

"Okay, fine. I'll talk to Pam and get some coordinates."

"Thanks, Dad."

"No, thank you, Baby Girl. You're doing things that are like magic. I could have never come up with the algorithms you have, much less written the program. You know me. I can barely work a cellphone. You've made me proud, and I know Larke Oil is going to be in good hands."

My face became hot. "Well, we have better tools than when you were in the field," I mumbled.

"Yes, yes you do, but the tool is only as good as the hands using it," he said softly.

"Wow! Where's all this coming from?" I asked.

"With all this going on, I've realized I haven't told you how proud I am of you, or how much I love you, nearly enough." There was a pause. "That's going to change," he said, his voice thick.

I sniffed. "I love you, Dad."

"I love you too, Baby Girl. Stay safe, okay?"

"I will. Love you. Bye." I hung up the phone and wiped my eyes. "What'd you think?" I asked with a sniff.

"I think your dad loves you very much."

I nodded as I snuffled. "Yeah, I know." I sniffed again as I forced myself to not cry. "It's just that he's never said it before, not like just now, not since I became an adult anyway."

He nodded slowly. "Maybe not... but I could tell by how he looked at you when I first met him that he loves you very much."

I sniffled a last time and wiped my eyes. "Yeah. Anyway, what did you think of the phone call?"

"I think we can trust him."

"See? I told you it wasn't him."

"I know, and I didn't really think it was him either, but we have to be careful. One fuck up is all it takes."

I nodded. "I know."

He took my phone, placed it on the counter, and pulled me into a hug. "Don't worry. Now that we know where to look, they can't hide forever."

I wrapped my arms around him and sighed. "I know," I said again.