Quaranteam - AU Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Bit of both, love. At least we know for sure that Damo's crew is safe."

"That was certainly unexpected. I mean, Zeke told me he was safe, but even the documents Tal had with her said nothing about France."

Talia giggled from the back seat. "Well, I suppose at the time father collected that information, they may not have been in France. It was all preliminary reporting from immediately after their attempt, and if you were the one to give them their SERE training, it makes perfect sense that they would go undetected."

Ty turned his head and glanced towards the back seat. Talia was smiling as she looked out the window, but Lottie seemed lost in thought. That wasn't unusual, but the expression on her face told him there was something more at play here. This happened with her occasionally; she'd quietly contemplate a subject before expressing a view that was completely out there.

"Lots? Have you sorted out whatever it is you've had on your mind?"

She closed her eyes for a moment before turning her head towards Ty and giving him a gentle smile. "Mostly. I admit it's a bit of a tangent on what we have been speaking about. Obviously, you don't need any additional security personnel, you already have three. But I was thinking we do need a doctor or at least a nurse added to our ranks. It would help us as we go around the country for the rollout, and having one in the family would be a reassurance for when we start popping out kids. I was just wondering...no, I think I'll wait until we get to the hospital to voice that thought."

"Well that certainly came out of left field. I suppose I'm somewhat reluctant to add too many new faces too fast, I do think you're right. As for kids, each of you can tell me when you're ready, if ever, and we'll make a go of it. You both know I adore kids and I'm sure Talia would figure that out soon enough. But let's cross that bridge when we get there."

She smiled an enigmatic little smile that had Tiberius' heart in knots. "Aren't we getting "there" in a few hours, Ty?"

Lost for words for a moment, Ty simply shrugged. "If you're expecting me to just ask a random doctor to join us, I don't think that's going to go how you envision it."

The smile on her face grew, shooting right past smirk and straight into leer territory. "Don't be so sure."

--

Melbourne Southeastern Suburbs, Victoria, Australia - October 24, 2020 - 7:30 AM AEDT

--

Zoe Evans was starving. Literally. Her stomach had long since ceased any audible protests, seemingly having decided that such things were a waste of energy. At least water wasn't in short supply. As for food...well the last time she had eaten something that wasn't at least half rotten...she couldn't even remember. It had to have been weeks ago. Her funds had run out around then, and she had felt the despair creeping in. For a 19-year-old girl, living up near her university in Sydney was all well and good when times were good, but during a pandemic? And having learned that your family died to it? Well, it became a burden. Zoe had heard that almost the entire neighbourhood had succumbed, so going back hadn't been an option.

Only now it was her only option.

With her accounts empty and the universities shut down, there was no meaning in staying in Sydney, as food had become harder to come by. So, when she decided to come home, it was in the hope that someone in the neighbourhood had survived and would be able to help her. It was slow going. She'd had to stop every few hours as her concentration waned and dizziness threatened to take her off the roads. But when she finally reached her family home on the 21st, almost the whole suburb was deserted. Houses empty; stripped of goods and foods. Bereft of life and now of warmth. Those that remained had little they were willing to spare a young girl, at least without taking something she wasn't willing to give in exchange. So Zoe was on her last legs now, no food, and water alone would only get her so far. She was now constantly dizzy. Her last possible resort had been the houses of her neighbours; but nobody answered the doors even though the houses didn't appear abandoned.

Zoe was inside a neighbour's house, having known where the spare key was kept for years. It wasn't something that she had learned by accident. The householder had actually told her parents where to find the key in case of an emergency, and eventually he had let her know too, along with the alarm code. She had hoped the owner, a man she treated like an uncle, would be there, but the house appeared to have been empty for several days at least. Well, empty of people at any rate. All the contents were still there. He had reached out to her after her family's passing, but she had been too wrapped up in her grief to let him in, and she'd let her contact with him lapse. Now her phone was dead and he wasn't here. Her eyes fell on a picture of a young man and a tiny child curled up on a recliner together and a memory flashed in her mind, vivid colours but muffled sounds. A young adult. Dark hair, steel-grey eyes. A small child on a bike, nearly pure white hair and purple irises standing out even with her pale skin. Everything else was blurry; irrelevant. She was drifting, but the memory of his voice anchored her; gentle, even if the words were unclear, and the hand that patted her head filled her young mind with confidence and a sense of security. An older brother figure. An uncle figure. But that was then.

She knew she was in trouble. She was so tired. Her violet eyes filled with tears as she came to terms with the reality of her situation. The fridge was empty and the pantry had so little of use that it may as well have been too. Zoe could feel her vision closing in and her head was spinning. Her hunger was overwhelming her; gnawing at her sanity, stripping away hope and there was nothing left that she could do. She didn't have the energy to go anywhere else, and even if she did, the likelihood that there was anything to eat was beyond miniscule. Her legs finally gave way in her exhaustion and despair and she couldn't muster the energy to get up again. Curling up on the tile as the darkness was creeping in, Zoe knew it was over. No one would find her. No one would know she was here. She was alone. She was going to die, and not even of the damned plague.

And then the darkness claimed her.

--

After Lettie's cryptic comment, Ty had chosen to remain silent. Though he understood her point about adding in a medical professional, like Rayne, he was hesitant to add unknowns to their family. It had already grown beyond any scope he'd imagined, and he was expected to take on at least a dozen. Grace had let him know that a dozen was the recommended number, but she had also informed him that it was rarely where they stopped in the case of prominent or critical individuals. It was going to be quite the effort. Ty had already had more sex in the last three days than he'd usually have over a month. Physically, he was fine. His age, fitness and the serum were seeing to that. But mentally, handling the needs of that many women would be a challenge.

He looked out the window with a feeling of melancholy. The neighbourhood was bleak. Houses sitting empty, lawns unkempt and overgrown. They passed by the twins' family home; it had been sold shortly after their parents' passing. The twins had long since moved into a condo of their own, a little further away, but now, with everything happening, his house would be their base until they set up whatever condo or complex they had in mind for his family.

That thought brought him pause. Family. They were supposed to consider themselves that, but when had he actually stopped having to consciously think about it? Was that him, or was it the serum, playing with his mind. He had to push that thought away. He knew the depths of his feelings for the girls. Their connection felt right. There was nothing forced in it. Nothing that felt artificial. He knew Talia would get along with the twins, even if she was several years their junior. Their bisexuality was really just going to smooth things along. Hopefully, even in the future -

That thought was cut off as Lettie pulled onto his street, and the sight of another house brought with it a fresh wave of pain as he mourned its occupants. Toby and Matilda Evans. Two years his senior, they had married out of high school when Mattie had gotten pregnant with their first and only. For eighteen years they had raised a happy family together, fought through good and bad, and raised a wonderful little girl. They had been Ty's friends, but they had passed away in April, both to DuoHalo, with no opportunity for a funeral, just two more bodies on the pile. Though he said DuoHalo, Ty was still certain that Mattie had died of a broken heart when Toby had passed.

He had a momentary vision of a young girl, her sparkling white-blonde head bobbing as she pedalled away on a bicycle, training wheels and all. He'd been in his 20s at the time, home for leave and Toby had been called into work on an emergency. Unable to get a sitter on such short notice, Ty had offered to watch over her since Mattie was also at work. Zoe had enjoyed spending some time with 'Uncle Ty', and quickly tired herself out. Ty fed her and let her take a nap on the sofa while he relaxed in his dad's recliner. He had no idea when he'd fallen asleep, but he woke to the sound of a camera and Mattie's giggling. To his surprise, Zoe was curled up in his arms with her blanket spread haphazardly over them both. He couldn't help the smile as he asked for a copy of the shot.

He still had that photo, framed and mounted on a wall in his kitchen. He'd not been able to get in touch with Zoe much since her parents' passing, and now that the number had been disconnected the worry was constantly in the back of his mind. It would be a straight up abuse of power to use military resources to search for a single person unless they had some good reason to do so, so he'd refrained from asking. He'd have to use his personal assets. That was fine. It was for a good cause. If she was alive, he'd reach out again and take her in. Otherwise...it'd be closure, at least.

They pulled up to the house, and at first glance, everything appeared to be fine. But it wasn't. The front door was unlocked. He reached for his Browning and the girls tensed. Signalling for the twins to head upstairs, they drew their own weapons and Ty silently opened the door. Naturally, he wouldn't shoot if he didn't have to, but if the intruder attacked, he might have no choice. Talia followed him, having drawn her own Glock. There was no noise from inside as they entered, but that meant nothing. The entry hall was empty, and Ty could clearly see into the living room as the twins silently ascended the stairs.

Even further inside, nothing seemed to have been moved, but Ty spotted a bag on a dining table chair that certainly didn't belong to him. Passing through the arch and into the kitchen, Ty froze, immediately putting his weapon away as he took a deep breath and dashed forward. Talia could just barely see a head topped with silvery-white hair laying on the floor before the shout nearly deafened her.

"Lettie! Start the car! Now! Emergency evac! Hospital!" He slid the last few feet on his knees, his voice wavering as he sought a pulse. "Oh fuck! Please be alive. Zoe, sweetheart, hold on! Lettie!"

He could hear the twins thundering down the stairs, and while Lottie came towards them, Ty could hear the security door bang open as Lettie bolted out of the house. His shaking fingers finally found the unconscious girl's pulse, weak as it was. Ty scooped her up and he could feel the icy fingers gripping his heart. She weighed nothing, almost literally. Her frame under the horribly baggy clothes was so emaciated it was a wonder she had enough muscle mass left to keep moving. Ty cursed himself silently, tears running down his face now. He should have done more to stay in touch. After her parents' death, she was alone. He was their friend so he should have done more. She had come to him for help, and he hadn't been there. All the thoughts crashed into him as he rose and he had to choke back a sob.

Lottie let out a gasp when he turned around and bolted towards the door, pulling Talia with her. Zoe hadn't stirred at all, and Ty could hear how shallowly she was breathing. It took all of his willpower to not sprint for the door, but he had zero confidence that this poor girl's battered body could withstand it. He paused only long enough to grab her bag before leaving.

"Come on, sweetheart. We're gonna get you some help. I know I wasn't there for you until now, but that won't ever be the case again. I won't let anything else happen to you."

He laid her gently in the back seat and climbed in beside her, Lottie sitting shotgun with her sister behind the wheel. Talia stared intently at the girl and helped buckle her in, and Lettie set off, clearly considering speed limits to be a minimum number rather than a maximum. Talia remained silent for only a few moments more before she spoke.

"I take it you know this child?"

Ty nodded, his eyes never leaving Zoe. "Her name is Zoe. Zoe Evans. We went to school with her parents, though they were a couple of years older than us. They lived in the house next door until this past April, when they succumbed to Duo. Zoe had left home for Uni, but I believed she was still in Sydney. She...she shut me out after her parents passed. I...I should have tried harder to be there for her. Now look at her. She's starved. Almost to death. How can I ever face her parents?"

Talia's hand reached over and took his. "From what I surmise, she is of age, and she is not technically your relative. Meaning that you are not actually obligated to do anything for her. I fully appreciate that you have and will, since that is the type of man I know you to be. But I digress. The point I am trying to make is that you cannot force her to rely on you, and try as you might to support her, if she herself does not wish for that support, then there is nothing you can do. You are here now, and you are doing what you can to save her life. Perhaps when she recovers, she will better understand the need for such a support structure."

When. Ty locked onto that word like a lifeline. He brushed a hand through Zoe's hair and took a deep breath. She looked so frail. He could just imagine Toby's expression if he could see her. Mattie would have already laid a beating on him for letting their little girl reach this state.

"Ty! Ty we're here!" Lettie's voice brought him out of his thoughts and Ty began to move. Clearly, he'd been lost in his own head, since it was a ten-minute drive to the nearest hospital and he could recall nearly none of it.

It must have been quite the scene from inside the nearly empty ER; two redheads in military uniform bursting through the doors, holding them open as a huge man in uniform carried an unconscious form in his arms, followed by another woman in a different uniform.

"I need a gurney and a doc immediately! She's starved and unconscious! I think she's dying!"

Every available hand in the room sprang into action all at once. A couple of nurses wheeling a gurney while others handed the four intruders masks and began asking questions about Zoe's medical history. Naturally they had no idea that Tiberius and co were at least reasonably protected, but none of them said anything and simply donned the articles. As they were shouldered aside by the doctors, Ty pulled a matronly nurse aside and spoke quietly in her ear.

"Once we've got Zoe sorted, I need to speak with Dr. Rai. Could you please tell her Tiberius Marshall is here to see her? It's urgent."

The nurse gave Ty a strange look, but nodded, heading towards the nurse's station before picking up a phone and speaking to someone in hushed tones. She looked back over towards him, obviously looking him up and down to give a description, but that was odd. Dr. Rai knew exactly who he was. She was his doctor and had been for years. So, what was happening? The nurse gave him a decidedly cold look as she hung up and marched back over to him.

"Dr. Rai will be down shortly, but I don't expect the conversation will go the way you intend. She'll never date a man like you."

"I know it won't, ma'am..." Ty was thrown off balance as the words registered. "Wait on, what the hell are you talking about? Date? What?"

It was just then that an inner door opened and a woman flounced in. It was a genuine, 100% unadulterated flounce. Ty would have been in awe at that alone, but the woman that was responsible for the move made the breath catch in his lungs.

Clearly just above 5', maybe 5'2", with long straight black hair held back by an honest-to-God Alice band - Ty hadn't seen anyone wearing an Alice band in at least a decade. Even in her scrubs, Ty found his eyes following the contours of her body, and what a body it was, all curves in all the right places, right up to her chest. There was a name badge pinned to the front of her clothes, but Ty barely had a chance to read it before they asserted their presence to his brain. Those had to be at least F cups, if not bigger. He almost couldn't look away, but he forced himself to continue bringing his gaze back upwards. Her light brown skin was flushed with anger and her eyes were an icy blue, almost luminescent when framed by her dark lashes. Ty focused his gaze on her heart shaped face, and felt those frosty eyes fixate on him. Her steps faltered for an instant as she registered him and Ty had more time to appraise the woman. She had a certain aura, but Ty had to shelve that thought as he had the belated realisation that there had been a gross misinterpretation of his intent, and even of the target of his request.

Her name tag read Dr. A. Rai. Oh, Fuck. He put his hands up as she stormed towards him and tried to speak.

"Hang on, wait just a mi -"

She stomped right past him, and Dr. Rai; the younger, incredibly attractive Dr. Rai - Tiberius corrected himself, immediately went into work mode and stepped over to examine the patient the other nurses and doctors were once again fussing over. He couldn't help himself as he watched her. She was clearly a consummate professional, immediately directing the others and taking notes of Zoe's condition, but Ty was again distracted by her form; she had an ass to die for, on top of that chest. Ty caught his line of thinking and mentally lashed himself. He had literally just taken on three gorgeous women as partners; what was he doing looking at other women? Especially under the circumstances. Lottie's words came back to him and he turned her way, only to see that enigmatic smile back on her face.

Uh oh.

There was a shuffling as the work around Zoe began to die down, and Ty turned back towards her when he heard the gurney being wheeled away. The shorter woman was now in front of him, hand raised.

The slap resounded through the room and all movement and noise stopped for a moment. Ty reeled for a moment as she launched into her verbal tirade but caught her wrist as she went for another swing. She froze for a moment, as if only just realising he towered above her, then tried to pull away, but couldn't.

"You utter bastard! Let go of me! I don't care who you are, using an emergency to -"

"Stop!" Once again, the woman froze, an almost unreadable expression etched on her face for just an instant and Ty could swear he saw her eyes glaze over for just that fraction of an instant. "You're mistaken. You are Dr. Rai, correct? What's your full name?"

She nodded, her cold eyes still fixated on him, but Ty now thought he saw something else there. Uncertainty. "Dr. Alice Rai. Now unhand me!"