Quaranteam - AU Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As they adjourned to the lounge, Simone felt her phone vibrate in her pocket and stopped to check it. They'd already been warned the previous night of danger, so she was constantly on the watch for new updates and was hoping the situation was resolved.

No such luck.

Unknown vehicles approaching the residence. Maintain Safe Base Bravo. Attempting to identify. Stand by.

Simone frowned at her phone and let out a defeated sigh.

"Sumi, go ahead to the lounge. I need to go get something from my room."

Hasumi stiffened before turning around. She knew what that meant. The only thing Simone had in her room, since she shared the bed with everyone else, was the gun safe. Admittedly, there were also two smaller electronic safes on either side of the master bed now, keyed to each of them, but both soldiers already had their handguns on.

"Problems?" Her voice was slightly strained, but Simone waved it off.

"Someone's approaching the house, but the watchers are on it. Just got the order to raise the alert level so we're keeping our gear close. Can you stay with Stella? I'll go let Ray know."

As Hasumi turned off and walked down the hall, Simone watched for a moment before her phone buzzed again.

Vehicle occupants identified. One Dr. Benjamin Morgan and one of his partners, one Theresa Miller, here to speak to Dr. Valiant. Second vehicle is security personnel. Four armed individuals. Both vehicles currently held at the checkpoint. Proceed?

Simone smashed out a reply. Wait one.

She turned the corner and stepped into the study, holding back a smile as she saw Trish on Rayne's lap. Both had their pants off, and from what she could see, Ray was nestled deep in her friend, though it appeared they had just finished a round, what with the arch of Trish's back and the satisfied expression on Rayne's face.

"Sorry to interrupt, you two. Babe, Dr. Morgan is at the checkpoint. He's on his way here."

Rayne frowned deeply. Ben Morgan had been hounding him for days now and it was beginning to get on his nerves. "What the hell is he doing here?" And what checkpoint?"

"Please, baby. You don't think we'd just let you live here with just two of us for security, right? There's an entire exclusion zone set up around this house because we need to keep this family safe. You're literally one of the most important people in Australia right now. And that's not an exaggeration."

Simone actually found it quite amusing to see Rayne blush. Especially when he went almost as red as his hair.

"As for what he's doing here? He's here to see you, so he's probably going to hound you about the variant strain again."

Rayne couldn't help the sigh as he let his head fall on to Trish's chest. "Fuck me dead, this bugger is beyond persistent. Sorry Trish, I'll go with Simone to greet him, but in the meantime, can you stow our laptops? These new security measures are an absolute pain. Dr. Morgan won't just try and take them or anything, but Brigadier Davis was insistent."

Trish nodded and rose, dressing swiftly while Simone lifted her phone and typed out a response. Send the Doc down. If you can, keep the security back or attach an escort.

The response came back only moments later. Copy. We'll send two units to reinforce you.

"Wait for me a minute babe, I gotta go to the other safe."

The raised eyebrow told Simone that he too knew exactly what she was getting, but he got up and followed, nevertheless. "Is that necessary?"

"They're showing up with armed escort. It's necessary. In fact, I'd really like for you to wear a vest, but we don't have anything but our tac gear on hand, and that's too conspicuous."

"Would it help if I carried a gun? I mean, I'm not a bad shot. Two sisters and one of my closest friends being career military does that to a guy."

"You might be a good shot, but this is close quarters, and you are a civilian. If you have a gun and the enemy takes it from you, it's one extra gun in their hands. It's a complication we just don't need, babe, so no. No gun for you." She closed the safe, now carrying two assault rifles.

Rayne chuckled, raising his hands in defeat. "Fair enough. Alright, let's get this over with so we can get on with our day."

As they walked towards the door, Victoria stuck her head out of the lounge. "Do you need the room?"

Rayne shrugged. "Yeah, but you're welcome to stay and listen. You're part of this family now, so you have every right to be a part of whatever's happening, but this is just going to be Dr. Morgan asking me to release the research data for the Assassin Variant again. Also, please don't mention the accelerated effects or your findings on the cause of them. This man has been fishing for information outside of official channels, and I'll be damned if I give him anything I don't expressly need to."

Victoria looked puzzled. Rayne's consternation was obvious. "That's not like you, Rayne. You're normally good at sharing."

"Normally, sure. But we've got orders from Ty, uh Lieutenant Colonel Marshall. Unless he or General Hoffmann give the orders, any info on our research or the variant is under lockdown."

"Can't he just petition the military to release it? Why is he going through you?"

"I don't know. Maybe he thinks he can get me to bend on the topic since he knows Ty won't."

Victoria was clearly confused. "How would he know that? This trip is the first time they've ever met, right?"

"Those two, yes, but from what I know, one of Dr. Morgan's partners is one of Ty's old girlfriends. She's the one who brought him in on the Quaranteam Project to begin with, so she probably told Dr. Morgan what he's like. Plus, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Ty is fucking stubborn."

Trish chose that moment to return, retrieving her weapon from Simone and standing beside Rayne's spot on the couch. She'd tied her hair back and while she didn't look nervous, she was clearly annoyed.

"Whatever the case, can we get it over with so we can go back to fooling around? I don't like being interrupted when I'm with my guy."

Rayne turned his head and gave her a consoling smile as Simone walked towards the door. He also wanted this done with, but there was something nagging at the back of his mind. Something didn't quite add up. While he pondered, he ignored the sound of the door opening and several pairs of feet walking onto the threshold. He could hear muffled conversation and did nothing, but when the exchange became heated, he leapt to his feet, only for Trish to put a hand on his shoulder and push him back down. He was worried, but it quickly became quiet and Simone came back, leading Dr. Morgan and Theresa behind her. Apparently, the escort had been asked to stay outside. As the pair sat, Rayne saw Simone put a Bluetooth earpiece in and stand ready.

"Dr. Valiant, thank you for seeing me today." Benjamin Morgan looked at him with a blank expression, a far cry from the friendly demeanour he'd had every other time they'd interacted. The man looked strained.

Rayne frowned, not in the mood for bullshit. "You say that as if I was expecting you, Dr. Morgan. You didn't make an appointment, nor did you ask if I was ready to receive guests. On top of which, you brought armed guards to my home. Not exactly polite of you."

Ben Morgan matched Rayne's frown with one of his own, but continued, unabated. "This is my newest partner, Theresa Miller. She's a systems specialist. I don't believe I've been introduced to the whole of your Team. Would you be so kind?"

"Dr. Morgan. Firstly, I don't quite understand why you're here. It's early in the day, you made no appointment and there was no forewarning. Second, how did you even get this address? It's not listed as my residence, and no one who knows it would have told you."

"Your home is lovely. Would you be so kind as to give us a short tour?" The man's expression was rigidly neutral, but the woman, Theresa, was clearly flustered.

Now it was just getting ridiculous. Forget not having a conversation, he was stalling. Rayne looked at Simone, who glanced at her phone and nodded.

"Just stop. Your people may not see them, but the guards you brought with you are under watch, so it's very unlikely they'll be able to do anything to the house while you stall for time. So why don't you cut to the chase and tell me what you want?"

The American seemed taken aback at the complete lack of guile in Rayne's words and faltered. This was not how it was supposed to go. Eventually, he sagged a little and spoke.

"Dr. Valiant. I'm here to see if you've changed your view on sharing your research with us, as well as to make you an offer."

Rayne chuckled darkly. "One I can't refuse? No doctor. I have not changed my view, and nor will I. This was a wasted trip for you, and I apologise for that, but as I said, you didn't call in advance or I would have saved you the trouble. If that's all, then -"

"I genuinely believe that both countries would benefit from having access to this research. There is so much we can learn from it."

"There is nothing to be learned from it except that it should not exist. It is a weapon, and one that will remain under lock and key, never to see the light of day."

"Dr. Valiant." Morgan began, looking for all the world like a disappointed teacher lecturing a wayward student. "We have asked you again and again to share the data for this so-called 'Assassin Variant' that was developed at the CSL labs. You have refused, citing orders from your military and a number of other excuses. I am asking you one more time if you would freely share the data with us. We will make it worth your while."

"No. Unless given direct orders by Lt. Colonel Tiberius Marshall or Lt. General Jonathan Hoffmann, that data remains sealed." He took a breath and ploughed on as Morgan began to speak. "And even if they were to give me orders, it would still be at my discretion as to whether I shared this data. And I will not. It is dangerous and there is no good reason to disclose it. End of discussion."

The shorter man just stared at him for a moment before he reached into a manilla envelope he'd been carrying and pulled out a document. "I did not want to resort to this. In my hand is a writ; ordering you to comply and provide the research data. Failure to comply is punishable by heavy fines and imprisonment, so think carefully about how you respond."

The frown on Rayne's face only grew deeper as he took and read the document. It was on formal stationery, apparently from the office of the Supreme Court of the United States. The terms were exactly as Ben had described, except that all future research was to be shared with the Americans without question. But while it certainly looked official, Ray also knew that there was no situation under which he was subject to United States Law here in Australia. It had to be fake, so this could only be a poor attempt to coerce him into compliance after trying to convince him had failed. The man must be utterly desperate to try and pass this nonsense with him.

Placing the document down on the table in front of him, Rayne spoke just one word. "No."

The Americans both looked completely surprised. Theresa, who had been silent until this moment, spoke. "You are stating here, openly, that you are violating a written order to comply from the Supreme Court."

Rayne's voice was deathly calm as he continued, his green eyes boring holes in the woman. "I am."

Dr. Morgan sighed and shook his head. "Then I am sorry to do this, but the guards with us will now enter the building and place all of you under arrest. You asked why they were here. They are here for this exact reason. Please put down your weapons and get on your knees. Any attempt to resist will be met with for-"

He couldn't help himself. Rayne slammed a hand down on the table, eliciting a jump from both Ben and Theresa.

"Dr. Morgan. Ms. Miller." Rayne had to suppress a feral smile at the irony of his tone. It was a perfect match to the one Ben had used only moments ago. "Even if I were cowed by this scrap of paper, which I am clearly not, it holds no meaning here. The last I checked, the Commonwealth of Australia is not a territory of the US, nor are we subject to your laws. To me, this," he slapped the papers in front of him, drawing their eyes to it. "Is nothing more than an ill-conceived attempt to strong arm us into obedience through fear. One that is, I might add, failing miserably. So, for you to come in here and threaten my family with violence, tells me that I no longer need to play nice with you. Any further communication between us will happen only through official channels, if at all. Now, if you would be so kind, please get up and get out!"

Dr. Morgan sat there for a moment before he rose, pulling at Theresa's arm as he did.

"I can only hope you come to your senses before people get hurt, Dr. Valiant. And I am quite certain that things will not be pleasant should you continue to choose poorly."

If looks could kill, Rayne's would have left Morgan as a puddle on the floor. Theresa, for her part, tried to reach out and take back the document, but Rayne didn't budge, and she was pulled away. She looked apologetic, and then almost frightful as Simone paused, spoke into her earpiece, then resumed walking before a commotion from the men outside brought them all up short. Dr. Morgan began to turn back towards Rayne, an expression of triumph and maybe a bit of relief, forming on his face, before everything went quiet and Simone spoke.

"All clear? Good work." She locked eyes with Rayne for a moment before her gaze became predatory and focused on the Americans. "They were preparing to come in the living room window. Unfortunate for them, since the Doctor and Ms. Miller would have been first in line if glass and bullets started flying."

Rayne's gaze narrowed further and the expression fell from the American's lips as he muttered something under his breath. Theresa must have heard him, because her head snapped towards him and she wrenched her arm free.

"That's enough, Ben! You need to tell them! You're not getting results and trying to handle it on your own is destroying you!"

"Shut up! You couldn't possibly understand!"

"Dr. Valiant, Ben is being threa-"

The man rounded on her and raised his hand, prompting a flinch from Theresa, but Rayne leapt over the table and caught it before he could swing his fist downwards.

"What the fuck is wrong with you? Hitting someone who's just worried about you? She's supposed to be your partner. Your family. Dr. Morgan, I don't know if it's stress or what, but I think you need to reevaluate your priorities here."

The man pulled his arm away and pushed at Rayne's chest. "Get your hands off of me! What do you know of my priorities! You, stuck in your little world out here in the middle of bum-fuck nowhere, you don't know who you're messing with. There are people in this world who are vicious, ruthless, and utterly merciless, and they will stop at nothing to get what they want. I have tried to get you to cooperate. To make this easy and painless, so they won't get involved and...and... but no, you had to be hard-headed."

He dropped his head into his hands, his grief palpable. "Now they're going to do it their way, and this will not end well for you or that soldier your people have put in charge. They'll go after him, too. There will be bodies. A sea of blood. People will die. Lots of them. Dr. Valiant, you need to hand over that data before things escalate. Please! They'll kill her!"

The room went silent, save for the man's sobs, and Rayne felt a chill go down his spine.

"Dr. Morgan. Who exactly are 'they' and 'her'? Even if you weren't suddenly dropping new information into this, you're clearly admitting to trying to get the research for a third party. You know I can't hand it over now, even if I had been so inclined. You need to explain yourself."

The man's voice became a wail as he leapt forward and grabbed Rayne by the lapels. The chill suffusing Rayne's spine now spread throughout his body as the words registered.

"That fucking Arab; that Shiekh has my daughter!"

As if prompted by the words, the window shattered.

--

The world seemed to slow as the glass of the window sprayed inwards. Rayne could have sworn he saw the blinds shredding into shrapnel as the hail of bullets engulfed the room and the expression of horror on Dr. Morgan's face as the reality of the situation hit him.

And the bullets, too.

Simone and Trish had started moving a split second before the real volley of fire started and tackled both Ray and Victoria to the ground. Furniture and glass ornaments shattered around him, and he had an incongruous moment of chagrin as he realised that Sumi's furniture was ruined. It was such a strange thought to have at that moment that he focused quite heavily on it.

The gunfire ended almost as abruptly as it began, but Rayne barely noticed, too caught up in strange thoughts. But when he heard both of his soldier partners cry out in pain, the moment was broken and his adrenaline kicked in. He wrapped his arms around Simone and rolled, ignoring the shards of glass and splinters of wood as they sliced and stabbed into him.

"Sim? Are you hit?"

"I think maybe? Fuck...yes, definitely." She groaned and Rayne's mouth went dry. Pulling an arm from her back, it came away sticky with blood. Not gushing, but bloody, nevertheless. Immediately, he rose to check the wound, finding the gash along her back that had left the blood on his arm. Shallow. Still, he pulled his shirt and tried staunching the wound. Simone groaned at the fresh influx of pain, but she was still conscious and that was a good sign.

"Fuck! Trish! Tori! Call out! Are you alright?"

There were other shouts from outside, but Rayne ignored them until Tori's voice came back. "I'm ok, Rayne, but Trish, she's hurt. There's a lot of blood."

Shit! Shit! Shit! "Tori, can you triage it? Stem the bleeding for as long as you can."

"I'll do what I can. She's in pain, Rayne."

A voice from outside cut in. "This is Sergeant Morris, ADF. The four members of Dr. Morgan's escort who opened fire on the house are dead. All survivors please identify yourselves. Do not attempt to exit the building."

Rayne turned again, now facing the window. "This is Dr. Valiant. I have three of my partners plus two Americans here. We need immediate medical assistance! Multiple casualties." He knew Stella and Hasumi would stay hidden now that they'd heard gunfire, so they were safe until he called for them.

Boots crunched over the windowsill, and Rayne was relieved to see the fatigues and insignia of an Australian soldier.

"Ambulances are en route Doc. Are you injured?"

"No. I'm fine. Trish and Simone are hurt. And I think -" Rayne finally turned his gaze towards the spot where Ben and Theresa had fallen and regretted it instantly. "Oh God. Make that just my people alive."

On the floor lay both of the Americans, but Benjamin Morgan was clearly dead. The gunfire had cut right across his body, splitting him nearly in two and only the fact that Theresa had been partially shielded behind him saved her from instant death. They were both a mess, and it took a moment before it registered that Theresa was still breathing, if only barely.

"Holy shit, sergeant, she's still alive! Get those ambulances here now!"

The soldier did a double-take and started shouting orders. Ray watched as they tried to stem the bleeding but quickly turned his attention back to his family. Theresa was out of his hands.