All Comments on 'Quaranteam: Off the Grid Ch. 14-16'

by BronanTheLibrarian

Sort by:
  • 38 Comments
Shaqjor477Shaqjor4773 months ago

Im still VERY concerned for Colin's lack of significant concern for Grace. Im glad to see Flannery get his, although that was a particularly gruesome way to get it, and Issa and Colin together felt right from the start. Now we just have to have a quick resolution with Hayes and Weaver laid alongside Flannery (not that they could ever understand why they are just as bad as he was).

laad4e08laad4e083 months ago

To Shaqjor477: Colin is worried about Grace, and he misses her very much. He is pretty limited as to what he can do about it.

To BronanTheLibrarian: Thank you for another great chapter and so soon after the last.

CurrentParameterCurrentParameter3 months ago

another great chapter. Keep it going.

TomSavageIsFakeTomSavageIsFake3 months ago

Great chapter but gory, hope that's done for. If I was there, I would have had Colin and Flannery trying to unlock each other's collars. That would have been my first goal. I know they tried to remove all tools from the room but in a desperate situation I would have figured out some piece to break off to try lockpicking.

There wasn't much discussion but there was some kind of way to remove them. The next step would be trying to disable the collar, remove battery or something. Battery won't last forever. Probably impractical to insulate the prongs. That could be a good plot point, batteries run down in all the chaos.

MehntalityMehntality3 months ago

Well...that was disturbing. The warning in the forward was appreciated, but I sure wasn't expecting that...

This was gritty, dark, and definitely a more sobering look at the effects and aftermath of this apocalypse. The other authors have provided glimpses and broad strokes, but you sat us all down with a front-row seat to the depths that the surviving humanity can sink to. I'm not sure if I should thank you or not as this one is going to stick with me for a while and will surely color my perception of every QT story moving forward.

Regardless...5 stars

cindyp1976cindyp19763 months ago

Hope they escape and while they are doing it kill Hayse that chick is nuts

rwrasotpwdg2rwrasotpwdg23 months ago

Damn, looking at some George RR Martin or Stephen King levels of brutality there. Actually, now that I think about it, that's what these chapters are reminding me of, one of King's fucked up small towns. Needful Things, The Dome, etc. You are doing a similar thing to King, showing us that the real monsters are lurking inside of normal people put in extraordinary scenarios. That's a whole lot scarier than some sci-fi monster lurking in the shadows. With the imaginary monster, we have a level of safety with the known disconnect from the real world. But we all know people in our lives that we suspect could descend to the levels of the narcissistic god complex of Flannery, the fanaticism of Hayes or the ultra-Karen-mode of Weaver, if they were put in a similar situation. We also all know the people in our lives who have bought into whatever crazy bullshit extremist figureheads have promoted, so there's no doubt in our minds that these characters would have followers willing to go along with them. Well done.

I know I was skeptical in the comments on the last chapter, but you've sold me on the direction you are taking. Can't wait to see where it goes next and I'll keep checking daily for the next chapter!

Thanks for sharing your talents here.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Colin probably does not know (yet) what state Grace is in.

Hayes may learn how bad she was, when Colin is rescued and after two weeks or so, she has to beg for release.

Weaver, well, she's the benevolent face of religion, I guess.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Is this the 'commune' Mary in Quaranteam Northwest went to??? Hmmmm...

NursesNurses3 months ago

Yeah, that asshole met a very bad end. You need to get your character out of there before he pisses her off too.

NursesNurses3 months ago

Hey Cindyp I hope they escape and leave Hayes behind to suffer. But to each their own. By the way, Flannery was evil.

And Bronan, a 5 for sure.

ParsimoniousPersimmonParsimoniousPersimmon3 months ago

Daaayyyaaaam.... That got dark. As another commented below, you are showing the face of true monsters.

This is probably one of my favorite spin offs of the QT universe. In part because I've spent time in the area but also because the characters are not superhuman. They are just regular folks.

I look forward to the next installment. This is great work!

Shaqjor477Shaqjor4773 months ago

To Laad4e08: Not a whole lot he could effectively do when they took Issa either, but he still did it, and the difference there is why I said something, both last chapter and this one. Grace has now been a week without a dose, and Colin knows that. He should be reminding the crazies that they are voluntarily killing another woman by keeping him there every opportunity he gets....

To Bronan: The more I think about this arc, the more I like the view into the darkness, and you are doing a great job of it.

CherrypahhaCherrypahha3 months ago

That went very dark quick and the extreme fanatical quickly, though I agree with the outcome the justice was quick and severe.

alsithalsith3 months ago

"Colin and Issa had been talking for hours each day, mainly out of boredom and Issa catching me up on the internal politics of the place in case it gave us an edge in escaping.". You jumped from third person to first person mud sentence there. I suspect "me" should have been "him"?

alsithalsith3 months ago

Just after previous comment, same issue with "politics of the place in case it gave us an edge in escaping.". The "us" is a sudden jump to first person again.

alsithalsith3 months ago

Typo: "shifting her panites to the side" -> panties

SorchakSorchak3 months ago

Well, that was different. I've read of a lot of ways to murder someone, but molten sugar is new to me. Just one thing, not related to the story, but the writing: A couple of times you've slipped from third person to first with Colin. Once in this installment, and once in the previous. It's not a huge mistake, but it is jarring. Looking forward to the next.

SraulersSraulers2 months ago

Hope this goes back to Sci-Fi soon… the rape scenario got old fast. Too dark by half…

The2thdocThe2thdoc2 months ago

Really enjoying this branch of the Quaranteam saga! Keep it up. Looking forward to Colin getting back to Grace, soon I hope!

Scrappy58Scrappy582 months ago

👍

Looking forward to the rest of the story.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Glad you included the CW as that was almost excessively gruesome. Hopefully less gore in the future. Also while that would kill someone, it would be as likely take hours, rather than minutes

Rhino77PIlotRhino77PIlot2 months ago

That's one way to put an end to Colonel Clownfucker -- and a satisfyingone at that. Hopefully the eradication of his following can be accomplished more through persuasion than through violence.

Sl33pingforestSl33pingforest2 months ago

Damn I binged this and I gotta say excellent quaranteam spin off

WolfbeckettWolfbeckettabout 2 months ago

Eh? Him and Grace don't need to find room in their lives for Hayes. Fuck that rapist, she can just die after he breaks out, who cares?

WolfbeckettWolfbeckettabout 2 months ago

Also what was the point of the boiling sugar execution? It seems like it would have been a lot easier to just shoot the idiot? I dunno man, this felt unnecessarily gruesome for no real benefit to the story at all.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Religious Zelots tend to not think is this efficient they tend to think is this as bad as X. X being the supposed crime the individual did or sometimes just accused of. Zelots are not known for wisdom just for fanaticism.

alsithalsithabout 2 months ago

@wolfbeckett Most religions make a spectacle out of punishment, it's one of the sticks that go with the carrots. Not to mention historically just running sword through someone in their cell and burying them would have been most efficient form if execution. How often was that the norm?

WolfbeckettWolfbeckettabout 2 months ago

I get all that but I feel like the "extra gruesome execution" thing is generally more of a "this is what happens if you disobey us" message to everyone else, for which it would need to be public. Who was this show for? Issa? If you're going to send a message by executing someone horribly it needs to public or it's wasted.

Rhino77PIlotRhino77PIlotabout 2 months ago

I just reread this on the Quaranteam Hub site. This has a straight 5 🌟 rating in my opinion, and I also give it 👍👍 because it is a well-done, different take on the Quaranteam saga. In many ways, this sort of scenario could well happen around any of the far-flung military installations around the country, especially in rural areas. I happen to be fairly near (less than 150 miles) of 2 major Army bases, 1 huge, and 2 big Air Force training bases, several National Guard detachments, and at least 4 comprehensive universities with several ROTC units. The area is mostly rural and on the Southern Plains (I won't pinpoint the location any further....). The attitudes of a food portion of the folks are distinctly quite red in contrast to at least two major cities and the faculties of the comprehensive universities and the several regional universities in the area. It would be a great breeding ground for another offshoot of the QT Saga....

dscherer45dscherer45about 1 month ago

Can't wait for more!

ParsimoniousPersimmonParsimoniousPersimmonabout 1 month ago

5/5 This is one of my favorites of the QT spinoffs. Somewhat in part because I have spent time in the area around Spokane and northern Idaho. But also because this is a "small" focus spinoff. The people involved are generally not the big movers and shakers. I like the QT 808 story for the same reasons. I hope you keep going with this story line!

Raphael76Raphael7627 days ago

Really enjoying all of the Quaranteam series, but “Off the Grid” is my favorite.

Hope to hear how Grace is doing soon…

AnonymousAnonymous24 days ago

You are missed! Please continue!!!!!

mfbridgesmfbridges16 days ago

Raphael I agree great serious, and I'm really worried about Grace as well. I can't imagine what must be going on if Issa had it that bad.

AnonymousAnonymous8 days ago

You were going so well the story was really taking a awesome shape and then you stopped. Hope all is well and we will start seeing more!

Scrappy58Scrappy583 days ago

Hope this isn't the end!

Its great that authors working together in the Quarenteam Universe. Looking forward to the next "Off The Grid" chapter

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous