Rag-tag Ch. 01

Story Info
A weary band of adventurers returns home.
6.2k words
4.62
3.7k
2
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
majicman21
majicman21
1,309 Followers

Sprays of blood misted through the air with every swing and stab. Tab caught the next cave goblin with a strong slash, decapitating it, the wriggling body falling to the ground, twitching weakly. More rushed her, screeching wildly, sharp teeth gnashing.

A ball of fire slammed into them, turning their bodies into ash and charred bone. Tab took a look over her shoulder, up towards the top of a nearby slope.

Lily stood near the edge, her hands swirling through the air, creating another burst of flame. Her long brown dress swished around her boots to her movements as she guided the burst into another group of cave goblins, knocking them away from Bort. He looked up at her with appreciation and awe in his eyes. She nodded back, smiling slightly, wiping a bit of sweat from the glistening sheen on her forehead.

A screech came from behind Tab. She turned, swinging her sword, catching a goblin mid-leap. Several more followed it, their screeches angry.

Her sword felled a few. One dodged her strikes and jumped onto her back. She drew her dagger, but before she could stab, it dug its teeth into her shoulder, the sharp fangs cutting through both her jerkin and her shirt. Pain erupted, drawing a grunt from her. She stabbed the dagger over her shoulder, catching the goblin right between the eyes.

Another leapt at her. An arrow smacked into its neck, knocking it down, blood spurting out messily.

She glanced back up towards the top of the slope.

Kel was near Lily, scanning the area with a new arrow already nocked. Dozens of arrows protruded here and there amidst the carnage, sticking out from goblin corpses.

A roar came from nearby. She spun just in time to see Chanko cleave a leaping goblin in two with a hearty swing of his axe. Another leapt at him. He caught it in mid-air, his palm closing on its forehead, and crushed its skull, brains squelching onto his fingers. Five more rushed him. He threw the corpse at one, knocking it back. A fireball sizzled past, taking out the others, his formidable frame silhouetted by the flash.

"How many more of these bastards are there?" Bort yelled, decapitating a lunging goblin.

Chanko gestured towards the arm of the cave the group had slunk from not so long ago. His nostrils flared.

"I can smell more. A lot more."

A loud screeching sounded from that direction. A flash of flame illuminated the shadows enough to show countless goblins coming for them, chittering and growling.

"We need to get out of here!" Tab yelled.

Chanko glanced over at the nearby slope.

"You two climb!" he shouted. "I'll hold them off!"

Tab looked up to Lily, still guiding fireballs out across the area.

"Lily! Firestorm, now!"

She stared back with wide eyes.

"I can't! Not without burning you three!"

"Yes, you can!" Bort yelled up at her, slashing a goblin's throat open. "You can do it, you just have to focus!"

"I can't! It's hard enough controlling the fireballs!"

"We need to get out of here!" Tab shouted, cutting through a goblin's stomach. "Firestorm, now!"

"I can't!"

Chanko strode towards the arm of the cave, his axe swinging viciously through the air, finding goblins left and right.

"Just focus!" Bort told her, splitting open a goblin's skull. "Focus! You can do it!"

Lily shook her head, face pale with panic.

"I don't want to hurt you!"

The swarm of goblins burst from the arm of the cave, a mass of spindly limbs and gnashing jaws. Chanko looked back at Tab and Bort. Arrows flew past him, picking off goblins.

"Climb!" he roared.

"Do it, Lily!" Tab shouted, ramming her sword through a goblin's eye socket. "Firestorm, now! Or we're fucked!"

"You can do it!" Bort continued, nodding in encouragement. "Focus! You won't hurt us!"

Chanko snarled at the onrushing wave, his feet set, his axe held high.

"Do it, Lily!" Tab urged, chucking her dagger at a goblin, the blade lodging in its throat. "We'll be fine, we trust you!"

Lily took a deep breath, and held out her hands, panic still across her face. Her lips began to move, muttering incantations.

Chanko snarled again at the onrushing swarm of goblins. Tab edged back towards the slope, and glanced over at Bort, who was gazing expectantly up at Lily.

Fire burst to life all around them, shooting straight up from the ground, swallowing up the swarm of goblins, and other goblins in the area, the flaming roar drowning out their shrieks. The sudden rush of heat sent Chanko stumbling backwards and almost knocked Tab and Bort over. But no fire came near them, and the few goblins who escaped the inferno due to their proximity to them were summarily dispatched. The blaze roared on, sweat springing up all over Tab. Lily kept her hands extended, staring down, brows knitted together, a vein standing out on her forehead.

"Yes!" Bort cried, pumping his fist. "I knew you could do it!"

The fire burned for a few more seconds, a towering conflagration, and then dissipated, dying down to spots of flickering flame and then finally to nothing, leaving in its wake scorched dirt and piles of ash, bones, and severely charred goblin corpses. Only Tab, Bort, and Chanko remained standing.

Lily's eyes fluttered, and she slumped forward, her body going limp. She fell over the lip of the slope, and hit the dirt, sliding down. The trio raced towards her.

Bort reached her first, stopping her tumbling body.

"Lily!" he cried, pulling her into his arms, cradling her head.

Kel came down the slope much more gracefully, his pointed ears perking up.

"She's alright," he told them. "Just unconscious."

"Do you hear any more goblins?" Tab asked him.

He shook his head.

"Do you smell any?" she asked Chanko.

He shook his head.

"Then let's get out of here. Bort, carry her. Chanko and Kel, help me with the loot."

The trio made their way back up the slope to where the bags lay. Tab hoisted a few over her shoulders, hissing in pain from the goblin bite.

"Let me take a look at that," Chanko told her, hoisting up his own bags.

"After we get out of here."

Bort waited for them, carrying Lily carefully. Her slender frame was longer than his stout physique, resting awkwardly in his arms, her dark hair falling over one side, her long legs draped over the other. The group set off towards the arm of the cave, the acrid smell of burnt flesh hanging heavy in the air. Kel stopped here and there to retrieve arrows.

No more cave goblins challenged the group on their way out, and soon, the entrance to the cave itself beckoned.

But beyond, a storm of a different kind raged. Rain lashed relentlessly, thunder roared through the air, lightning illuminated the night in powerful flashes.

"We'll hunker down here until the morning," she told the group.

"What if more goblins come back?" Bort asked, adjusting Lily in his arms.

"Then we'll take our chances with the storm."

Bort nodded, putting Lily down gently and sitting beside her. Kel took off his quiver.

"I'll take first watch," she continued, trudging away from the entrance, deeper into the cave. "The rest of you, get a little rest."

"Let me take a look at that bite," Chanko called over.

She nodded, shrugging out of her jerkin, and then staying still to let him pull the collar of her shirt to the side.

Snoring started up behind them. Bort was fast asleep, a protective arm around Lily. Kel sat nearby, cleaning his arrows.

"That kid can sleep wherever," Chanko commented.

"We should all be so lucky."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tab winced. Even with Chanko's appleroot poultice smeared over her bite wound, the cord of the bag rubbing against it through her shirt was still a painful sensation. She had kept her jerkin off, subtracting from the layers between cord and wound. Other aches arose here and there. The sweat and grime from last night stuck to her skin, adding to her overall discomfort, but she did her best to ignore the annoyances.

Bort walked along next to her, Lily still unconscious in his arms. Ahead of them, Kel and Chanko carried several bags.

The mountain path had become the forest road, and the forest road had become one of the several smaller roads that led to Muddymuck. This particular road brought the group past a few farms, bleating livestock offering a pastoral soundtrack.

A mile past the last farm stood a cottage. The rickety little house, painted a bright blue, contrasted with the rows of flowers blooming in the garden behind it. A thin trail of smoke unfurled from the chimney on the roof.

Tab knocked on the door. Bort stepped up next to her, shifting Lily in his arms.

The door swung open.

Granny squinted at them for a few seconds, taking in the bedraggled group. Her eyes landed on Lily last.

"What happened?" the wizened old woman asked, stepping aside to let them clomp inside.

"She did a firestorm," Tab told her. "Passed out once it was done."

"Passed out? Firestorm shouldn't knock her out like that."

"Well, she had to make sure we didn't get burned, so it probably took more out of her."

"Ah, a controlled firestorm. How long has she been out?"

"Since last night."

Granny gestured for Bort to place Lily on a nearby couch. He set her down, taking a few moments to adjust her position, arranging her arms at her sides and stretching her legs out. Her dress had ridden up slightly over her knees, showing her pale thighs, so he gently fixed the hem. Granny put a hand on her forehead, palm down, and shook her head in mild exasperation.

"All that power and still so much to learn. I could do a controlled firestorm in my sleep."

Kel and Chanko exchanged glances from by the door.

The old woman padded past Tab, but then stopped, and eyed her shoulder.

"You're bleeding."

"Cave goblin bite."

She nodded, changing direction, puttering towards a cabinet against the near wall.

"Let me give you something for that."

"Oh, Chanko already put a poultice on it. I'll reapply once I get home."

She scoffed, waving off the comment.

"I'll give you something."

"Will she be alright?" Bort asked.

"Of course," Granny replied dismissively, digging through the cabinet's drawers. "Cave goblins have nasty little mouths, but I know just the thing."

"No, I meant Lily."

"Oh. Yeah, she'll be fine too. The controlled firestorm knocked a lot from her. She just needs to rest up a bit more."

Bort nodded in relief.

"I assume you lot found something worthwhile up in the mountains," she continued, still rummaging through the contents of the drawers.

"Aye," Kel replied simply, setting two bags down on the floor. "That'll be Lily's portion."

She nodded in thanks without looking over.

"Do you know when she might wake up?" Bort asked next.

She shrugged.

"She'll be out a few more hours. Might even sleep through the day. You're welcome to come back in the evening and check up on her."

He nodded resolutely.

"If she wakes up before you come back, I'll send Willy to the inn to let you know."

A chirp came from the rafters, and the quartet peeked up to see a rotund sparrow peering down at them. Bort offered a little wave. Willy chirped again and withdrew from sight.

Granny plucked a small jar from a drawer, and puttered back towards Tab.

"Now, let me get a look at that bite. Take off your shirt."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I can't be the only one wanting to see the old bat actually do a controlled firestorm, can I?" Chanko asked.

"Definitely not," Kel replied. "I'd pay good coin for that show."

"I knew Lily could do it," Bort spoke up. "Knew she had that in her."

"Good thing she did," Tab said. "Or it might've been the end of us."

"We've survived worse," Chanko mused, shrugging.

The road through the village opened up onto the main square. A few people bustled about, at the smithy, the inn, a few other places. More were gathered around the well, chatting idly.

"Welcome back," Dawkins greeted them from his perch on the porch of the pub, puffing on a pipe.

"Good to be back," Tab replied.

"Is that ranger still around?" Bort asked. "We figured we'd give him a cut for his info."

Dawkins frowned pensively.

"Pretty sure he stayed at the inn again last night. But I don't know if he's still there."

"I'll ask Tiffany," Kel spoke up.

Dawkins nodded.

One of the people around the well noticed the group as they continued on through the square. He slunk over to intercept them. Bort groaned under his breath.

"How'd it go, Grog?" Joss asked, glancing at the bags over their shoulders.

"My name's Bort. And it went fine."

"Whatever you say, Grog. At least now you won't have to rely on Dawkins' charity for a while. We all know that's a risky venture."

He winked and then trotted away with a hearty chuckle.

"I keep telling you," Chanko growled. "One punch and he'll stop calling you that."

Bort shook his head.

"Nothing wrong with putting someone in their place," Kel spoke up.

"I don't want to punch him," Bort told them.

"I've never even spoken to him before," Tab added. "And I want to punch him."

"Me too," Kel agreed.

"I shouldn't have to punch him for him to stop calling me that."

"Of course not," Chanko said. "But he won't stop otherwise."

Bort shrugged.

The inn was on their left, so Kel peeled off, bidding farewell with a nod, bag of loot slung over his shoulder. The remaining three headed on through to the eastern side of Muddymuck. Villagers greeted them here and there.

At the eastern edge of the village, a squat dome stood, made from packed clay. An orc waited outside, leaning against the door, watching a much smaller orc pet a cat.

"Welcome back," the orc greeted Chanko, the two affectionately butting foreheads.

"Ba!" the child squealed, running to Chanko, hugging his leg.

"I take it the trip was a success," Saji said to Tab, nodding at the bags over her shoulder.

"We had to fight a bunch of cave goblins, but yeah."

Saji eyed Chanko, specifically the bloodstains caking his tunic and the grime smeared on his face.

Chanko handed his bags over to Saji. Val was still attached to his leg, peering up shyly at Tab and Bort, her usual response to seeing them. Bort smiled, but the geniality only made her draw back further behind Chanko.

"I need a bath," he grunted.

Saji wrinkled his nose.

"You really do."

Chanko headed inside, Val following after.

The cat slunk over to Bort, sidling between his feet. He stooped to stroke at its dust-streaked fur.

"Lily and Kel alright?" Saji asked.

"Lily's knocked out cold," Bort replied. "But she's fine besides."

"She's the one who took out most of the cave goblins," Tab added.

Saji nodded.

"You both needs baths too, you know."

"Oh, we know."

He nodded and retreated back inside.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"You eating first?" Bort asked. "Or taking a bath?"

"I might just dive into the stream with my clothes on. I feel disgusting."

"You look disgusting," he shot back with a toothy smirk.

"You're one to talk."

"Well, I have no one to impress there."

Tab scoffed.

"I'm well past needing to impress Jacoby."

"You're right. He's the type to take you as is. Compliment you even. 'The cave goblin blood brings out your natural beauty', that kind of thing."

She laughed, shaking her head in bemusement.

"You're not wrong."

The landscape to their left, all rolling hills since leaving Muddymuck, was suddenly interrupted by a wooden fence, the posts weathered and old. Sheep grazed in the area past the fence, with horses trotting around further beyond. A building sat ahead, set back from the road.

Tab and Bort turned off the road, trudging towards the building, feet crunching on the dirt. Chickens strutted around, guarded lazily by an old, jowly dog, who chuffed at the pair, receiving friendly pats on the head in response.

In front of the building, a young orc chopped wood, the axe striking steadily. Two more youths, both human, were nearby. One strummed a lute in the shadow of a tree, the other stabbing at an imaginary opponent with a dull sword.

The orc noticed their approach first, and eyed them, resting the axe on her shoulder.

"What happened to you two?"

Lynn glanced over, sword falling to his side.

"Cave goblins," Bort replied.

"Must've been quite the battle," Naga snarked, her woodchopping resuming.

"It was, actually."

"You think you can write a song about their epic struggle with the cave goblins?" Lynn asked Lyric.

"I can write a song about anything," the latter drawled, finally glancing up.

"Go on, then."

Lyric strummed a few times, and then nodded in satisfaction.

"'Tab and Bort fought them...many a cave goblin!'", he began theatrically, plucking at the strings.

"Good start," Tab said drily.

The front door to the building opened then. Jacoby clambered down the porch steps and walked over to them, his eyes immediately raking over Tab, and then Bort.

"Welcome back," he said warmly, pulling her into a strong embrace.

"'And now...they come home a-hobblin'!" Lyric continued, adding a flourish with a strong strum.

"It writes itself," Lynn commented approvingly.

Jacoby kissed her, his hand cupping her cheek.

"I need a bath," she told him, nuzzling into his hand.

"She's disgusting," Bort added.

"Well, you know I think you're always beautiful," Jacoby told her, his thumb idly brushing a lock of wayward hair from her face. "But yeah, you need a bath."

Bort chuckled.

"You both do," Jacoby continued, pulling back from her to greet him with a friendly slap on the back.

"I'm going to the stream," Tab murmured.

"Wonderful. I'll have someone bring towels."

"Well, I'm starving," Bort shot back, padding towards the porch. "I need something in my belly. I can take a bath later."

"Elezmir can probably already smell you," Jacoby said. "Good luck getting past her."

"I know how to charm her, don't you worry."

Bort stepped onto the porch.

The door swung open.

"Oh no you don't, child!" Elezmir snarled, waving him away. "You're not coming in here smelling like that!"

"Come on, Elezmir, I'm starving!"

The door opened again. Violet, Athelas, and Rowena hurried out, practically leaping off the porch, running to Tab. The trio stopped short just in front of her, eyes wide and mouths slack.

"What happened to you?!" Rowena asked incredulously.

"Cave goblins," Naga answered from nearby, mid-chop.

"You should go to the stream," Athelas suggested, nose crinkled.

"I am."

"Oh!" Violet exclaimed happily. "We'll bring you towels and clean clothes!"

The trio scampered back into the house.

"Go sit by the fence," Elezmir told Bort sternly, "and I'll bring you some food."

Bort trudged over to the fence, and Tab continued on away from the house. Woods beckoned ahead, a rough trail cutting through the trees, curving down and to the right. Chatter came from further along the trail, the noisemakers out of eyesight for the nonce. She rolled her shoulders, her scabbard seeming to weigh heavier now at the end of her trek.

The noisemakers came into view, a half-dozen children in a ragged line, led by two older youths, one at the front, the other at the back.

"Tab!" Ofelia shouted, the first to see her. "You're back!"

"Home sweet home," Tab said, smiling.

Ofelia rushed forward but stopped short of a hug when she noticed her bloodstained clothes and sweat-and-ash-smeared face. The children shouted their own overlapping greetings. A few noticed the same as Ofelia when Tab drew closer, their eyes widening, their chatter falling silent.

"You look a mess," Cam spoke up from the back of the line, Nelly babbling happily from the cradle strapped to his chest.

majicman21
majicman21
1,309 Followers
12