Ramsey & Carmick, contract.

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Our vice president, Colonel Albert C. Ramsey, is now in Mexico assigning the stations. In all this month and next month, the coaches, wagons, and literas will be in Mexico—portions of them being on their way now. By August 10 the mules and horses (1,000) will be down from Coahuila, and we then expect to make the regular transit across.

Although the contracts only require a bi-monthly mail, we are making all our arrangements for a _daily line_ of transit across Mexico, feeling justified by the assurances we have from Mexico. We shall also establish a weekly line of steamers from New Orleans to Vera Cruz, (one steamer is now running there, and another now building;) and with the use of the new _envelopes_,(when they appear,) we shall actually afford a weekly line from New Orleans to San Francisco; and if the steamers on the Pacific could be arranged, we could make a daily line to San Francisco in sixteen days. Our land route will be daily, in any case, on account of our Mexican facilities.

We have purchased and ordered the whole of the rolling stock for the transit, and parties are now in Mexico clearing obstructions, and we shall not, I think, require the full time allowed by the contract for the transit, although trial only will verify our expectations.

We already have a margin in our favor in the gulf service, as our steamer, the “Texas,” has performed the duty in sixty hours; and the Pacific service has been done in twenty-four and thirty hours less than schedule time. Our recent reports from Mexico justify us in the expectation of carrying the mails in fourteen days from New Orleans to San Francisco, and six months of experimental operation will, I think, show the feasibility of doing the regular service in within fifteen days.

In conclusion, I would add that we are exerting every energy in pushing the thing up, and shall spare neither time nor money in proving the truthfulness of all our positions.

An estafette mail will be carried from Vera Cruz and New Orleans to San Francisco next month, until the service becomes regular.

I am, with great respect, your obedient servant,

ROBT. G. RANKIN, _President_.

We have the _highest_ assurance of _our_ favorable position in Mexico.

Hon. JAMES CAMPBELL, _Postmaster General U. S., &c._

* * * * *

POST OFFICE DEPARTMENT, _July 9, 1853_.

SIR: Your letter of the 15th ultimo came duly to hand. My attention having been specially called to the circumstances connected with the contemplated line to the Pacific via Vera Cruz and Acapulco, I feel it my duty, after due deliberation, to inform you that the conditional contract entered into between my predecessor, Mr. Hubbard, and Messrs. Ramsey and Carmick, for the conveyance of the mails over this line to San Francisco, does not meet with my approbation.

In the first place, as at present advised, I consider the route impracticable for mail purposes.

In the second place, the sums of money yearly drawn from the treasury for contracts, which have for several years been, and are still in force, for the transportation of the mails between the Atlantic and the Pacific, are very considerable, amounting to about $731,868. In view of this fact, and of the many sections and neighborhoods, in the different States, which are either greatly restricted in, or deprived altogether of mail facilities, it appears to me both inexpedient and unjust to go into the expenditure of a still further sum of $424,000 for the service in question.

Moreover, I disapprove of the principle upon which this contract is made. In my opinion, if the Postmaster General has the right to make such a contract at all, it ought to be made without the restriction or limitation contained in yours, by which its force or validity is made to depend upon the passage of an appropriation by Congress to carry it into effect. I am unwilling to recognise any contingency of this kind, because, although the contractors may, under such conditional arrangement, establish no legal claim for compensation, they may, nevertheless, go on and incur expenses, in the expectation that they will be paid, and Congress, more from private sympathy than from public policy or right, be at length induced to yield to a measure to which its prior sanction never could have been obtained.

I am, respectfully, your obedient servant,

JAMES CAMPBELL, _Postmaster General_.

ROBT. G. RANKIN, Esq., _Pres’t of the Mexican Ocean Mail and Inland Co., N. Y._

* * * * *

POST OFFICE DEPARTMENT, _September 23, 1853_.

SIR: Should the proprietors of the Vera Cruz, Acapulco, and San Francisco line apply for mail to take over their route, under the conditional order of the late Postmaster General, dated 7th March, 1853, before delivering such mail to them, you will report to department for further instructions.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

JAMES CAMPBELL, _Postmaster General_.

POSTMASTER, _New Orleans, Louisiana_.

To Postmaster at San Diego, California: Same.

J. C.

To Postmaster at Monterey, California: Same.

J. C.

To Thos. J. Henley, Esq., San Francisco, California: Same.

J. C.

* * * * *

WASHINGTON, _October 26, 1853_.

DEAR SIR: The Mexican Ocean Mail and Inland Company, and Charles Morgan, of New York, (through the agency of the undersigned,) present the following facts, and ask such decision as an impartial consideration of this memorial may produce. The company (having obtained from the government of Mexico peculiar and well-authenticated privileges, whereby they were enabled to present to the United States Post Office Department a schedule of mail service which should insure the transmission of mails between New Orleans and San Francisco in the short space of sixteen days) urged the department for a mail contract authorizing the service, which was granted, subject to an appropriation by Congress for payment. Thereupon the company commenced proceedings for putting the route into active operation. Proper agents were despatched to Mexico, and have been actively engaged in overcoming such obstacles as, unremoved, would have impeded rapid transit across that country. Roads were improved, others made; coaches, harness, mules, and horses have been purchased, and a large portion of them are already on the route, ready to commence the carrying of the mails. In connexion with, and forming a portion of, this through-route, a mail service from New Orleans to Vera Cruz has been put into operation, the schedule for which was so arranged as to meet at Acapulco with the mail steamers on the Pacific, insuring a proper connexion on that end of the line. Thus nothing stood in the way of the successful operation of the route, save the obstacles on the land, which, being overcome, would enable us at once to perform our contract in the specified time; but now that arrangements are completed for this portion on the service, your memorialists find that an alteration in the running on the Pacific has thrown out of gear this well-arranged system. By the present schedule between New Orleans and Vera Cruz, it is impossible to meet the Pacific steamers, as they now run, at Acapulco, without suffering long delays at the latter point, entirely ruining the efficacy of this otherwise desirable medium of transit. The undersigned, C. Morgan, now urges that a knowledge of the existence of a through-service to San Francisco was the inducement for his accepting the portion of service between New Orleans and Vera Cruz; as, upon the successful working of the through-route, he depended for any profits that might inure to his ships from his connexion therewith. He has already put upon the route a first-class steamship of over 1,100 tons burden, and is building another of about 1,500 tons burden for the same purpose; which two vessels will embrace an investment of nearly $300,000 for this first portion of the enterprise. The company depend upon appropriations by Congress for the means of remuneration; and as such appropriations can only be secured by proofs of the practicability of the through-route, as per schedule, they, together, ask your consideration of the efforts they have made, and the moneys they have expended, under inducements the Post Office Department held out to them, for such efforts and expenditures, _by granting a through-service and arranging schedule for connexion_; and respectfully petition that you will so alter the schedule between New Orleans and Vera Cruz for the two trips per month, now being performed, as will give them an opportunity of proving to Congress that this is by far the most expeditious route yet opened to the rich commerce of California; which proofs, they feel, must necessarily insure the appropriations that shall furnish the means to enable them eventually to carry the mails between the two great points in the short space of thirteen days! Believing that your sense of justice, and desire for advancing the mails in accordance with the progressive ideas of this essentially progressive age, will induce an assent to their prayer, they have the honor herewith to submit such _temporary_ schedule, for the said two trips per month, as shall furnish the desired proofs; and, with sentiments of regard and esteem, subscribe, respectfully, yours,

The MEXICAN OCEAN MAIL AND INLAND CO.; and CHARLES MORGAN, per HARRIS & MORGAN, _of New Orleans_.

Hon. JAMES CAMPBELL, _Postmaster General United States_.

_Schedule._

Leave New Orleans 7th and 22d; Arrive at Vera Cruz 10th and 25th. Leave Vera Cruz 14th and 29th; Arrive at New Orleans 17th and 2d.

* * * * *

OFFICE OF THE MEXICAN OCEAN MAIL AND INLAND CO., _New York, October 29, 1853_.

DEAR SIR: Herewith please find a letter addressed to our firm from the president of the Pacific Mail Steamship Company, explaining why the schedule of running on the Pacific has been changed, (thus rendering _useless_ the _present schedule_ between New Orleans and Vera Cruz;) and, further, approving the schedule which we had the honor of submitting for your consideration in our memorial, dated in Washington, D. C. Trusting the views of our case, to which your attention has been called, will induce a favorable decision, we have the honor to subscribe, with sentiments of regard and respect,

Your obedient servants,

HARRIS & MORGAN.

Hon. JAMES CAMPBELL, _Postmaster General United States_.

* * * * *

[For the Commercial Advertiser.]

OFFICE OF THE MEXICAN OCEAN MAIL AND INLAND CO., _New York, October 27, 1853_.

In your issue of Wednesday evening, in the postscript of telegraphic news from Mexico, an important error occurred in relation to the transmission of San Francisco news by our route. Your correspondent says: “The news came over the New Mexico or Ramsey route, and occupied about twenty-four days in its transmission.” The facts are as follows: The news left San Francisco on the 1st of October by the Nicaragua steamer Pacific; it arrived at Acapulco on the 8th, crossed Mexico, and arrived at Vera Cruz on the 12th, where the news remained from the 12th until the 22d, the regular sailing day of the Texas, (the steamer that carried the news, instead of the Mexico, as stated in your article.) If our steamer had left Vera Cruz on the arrival of the news from Acapulco, our merchants would have had the market prices in fifteen days from San Francisco via New Orleans. If it should be asked why the Texas did not sail until the 22d, the only reply we have to offer is, that she was running on schedule time appointed by the Post Office Department, and until that schedule is altered the delay is likely to recur. With a proper connexion, our line can deliver mails from San Francisco, into New Orleans weekly, in less than sixteen days.

Respectfully, your obedient servant,

ROBERT G. RANKIN, _President_.

Be pleased to observe, by extract from Commercial Advertiser, the transmission of California news from California, by our route, in fourteen days!

H. & M.

* * * * *

PACIFIC MAIL STEAMSHIP COMPANY, _New York, October 28, 1853_.

GENTLEMEN: Having examined carefully the schedule proposed by you for running on the route between New Orleans and Vera Cruz, so as to connect at Acapulco with our steamers between Panama and San Francisco, I beg leave to inform you that it meets our approval.

When our company commenced to run weekly boats, the schedule of the Texas was arranged to conform to the movements of those extra boats. It happened, however, that the United States Mail Steamship Company, although willing to perform extra service, and to let that service speak for itself to Congress, was not willing to bind itself as the government required, so as to shut out all prospect of extra remuneration by a liberal legislature for extra duty; and, consequently, the steamers, on intermediate weeks, on this side, were withdrawn. The connexion being thus cut off, our company was obliged to discontinue its weekly trips, after the schedule of the Vera Cruz and Acapulco route had been arranged to conform to those trips.

My understanding with Mr. Rankin is, that when the route is fairly opened, we will run steamers in the Pacific in due connexion; and I am prepared to assign this duty to two of our smaller first-class steamers the moment I am justified in so doing. Until then, the merits of the route can be tested by arranging a schedule to conform to the arrivals at Acapulco, and, as far as possible, to the departures thence for San Francisco of our steamers now running; and the interests of the government and of the public unite in recommending such a course.

Very truly, yours,

WM. H. ASPINWALL, _President_.

Messrs. HARRIS & MORGAN.

* * * * *

POST OFFICE DEPARTMENT, _November 3, 1853_.

GENTLEMEN: In answer to your letter of the 26th ultimo, I have to state that, at the request of Mr. Carmick, the contractor, the present schedule of the New Orleans and Vera Cruz route was arranged to connect with the contemplated route across from Vera Cruz to Acapulco, which it was proposed to run in due connexion with an independent line of steamers between Acapulco and San Francisco—thus, with the route via Panama, giving a mail four times, instead of twice a month, between the Atlantic States and California. It was not the intention to connect at Acapulco with the steamers of the Panama line, but, as above remarked, to establish an additional semi-monthly mail to run, via Vera Cruz and Acapulco, alternately at regular intervals with the line via Panama.

This arrangement was made with my predecessor, Mr. Hubbard, with whom, as Postmaster General, also a conditional contract was entered into for the part of the service between Vera Cruz and San Francisco, which contract was to take effect _only from the time it should be ratified by Congress_; nor was it to have any force or validity whatever until it should receive the sanction of Congress by the passage of an appropriation to carry it into effect. No such sanction has as yet been given by Congress; but, apart from this, and without troubling you with my views on the whole subject, it is simply necessary for me to say that there can be no recognition by this department of any arrangement by which the additional semi-monthly mail, clearly contemplated by the then Postmaster General, can be dispensed with.

The application, therefore, for a change of schedule on the route from New Orleans to Vera Cruz, must now be considered without reference to any trips it may be proposed to run in connexion therewith beyond. The contract requires three trips a month; you propose but two, and it is unnecessary for me to say that the number of trips stipulated for in the contract will be required.

I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

JAMES CAMPBELL.

Messrs. HARRIS & MORGAN, _New Orleans, La._

* * * * *

WASHINGTON, _November 12, 1853_.

DEAR SIR: It is with great reluctance that I encroach upon your time at this particular season of your official duties; but what I have to say can be read at your leisure, without much inconvenience.

After my interview with you, yesterday, I was impressed with the idea that you had received from some quarter erroneous and unfavorable views in regard to this great national enterprise that I am so deeply interested in. I trust, however, that you will not permit any such influence to operate in your mind without affording us an opportunity to be heard. I consider it a duty I owe you and your high position to explain, in a frank and upright way, the true object we have in view in regard to this project; it is to test the merits of this route for a mail communication, the benefit of which will accrue to the country, the government, and those engaged in perfecting it. We have asked no remuneration from the government while pursuing this enterprise, but have gone to work, at our own expense, and proved the entire feasibility of this rapid communication, without the least hope or expectation that the department should in any way be subjected, either directly or indirectly, to an acknowledgment of responsibility for future remuneration. We desire to establish a great national highway from ocean to ocean, over a route in which there is a saving of 1,800 miles, between New Orleans and San Francisco; and the day is not far distant when all the present routes will only be secondary to it. This opinion is based on reasonable grounds: first, the saving of time; and, second, the beauty of the country, and the salubrious climate over which the route passes. There is but one opinion on this subject among all Californians. We have conceived that, in offering to our government the facilities of a rapid mail communication on so important a route, we have a right to expect from that government a liberal encouragement, at least by an expression favorable to an enterprise where so much energy and capital is invested. Our project has been fully investigated by the late cabinet, and, after their mature consideration, it was acted upon. The contract was sustained by an appeal of one-half of the United States Senate in a memorial to the department, and by the personal solicitation of the representatives from the South and West; also, by a memorial from the most influential citizens of Louisiana—the same being now on file in the department. General Rusk, who framed the law under which the contract was made, also urged the advantages of this communication on the department; among others were Senators Gwin and Soulé. This communication must depend entirely on its merits, and by its advantages for the public welfare. If it cannot offer greater inducements to the government than the present routes, it cannot expect to succeed; but if it can be proved that this is the speediest route, the law seems not to be violated while offering facilities on the part of the government to test so important an object. We have, however, proved beyond a doubt that the transit can be made from sea to sea in from three to four days, and I hope you may offer us your liberal co-operation, without involving in the least a compromise of the public interest; it is no more than we have a right to expect from the department. Governor Marcy, without looking into details, has expressed to me similar views, and says that our communication seems to hold out great national advantages, and he did not doubt but that you would look on it in a proper light. I feel confident that Congress will support any measure that can be proved of public utility for the South and West; and this is a southwestern measure, without any demands from the public treasury, to build steam-ships or railroads. I know the feeling that existed last Congress on this subject, and I feel confident that it will be supported by the South and West.