Ramsey & Carmick, contract.

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I am, respectfully, your obedient servant,

JAMES CAMPBELL, _Postmaster General_.

Messrs. RAMSEY & CARMICK, _New York, N. Y._

* * * * *

NEW YORK, _December 20, 1854_.

SIR: Your letter of the 30th ultimo was duly received. In referring to the contract between the department and ourselves, you say that, on the 9th of July, 1853, you made known your disapproval of the contract in a communication in answer to a letter from R. G. Rankin; and if we have expended money after that time, on account of the contract, we have done so with a full knowledge of your views.

We were not informed, by your letter of the 9th of July, that you had any intention of annulling our contract. We had completed all our arrangements for stocking the road across Mexico prior to the receipt of your letter; and, on account of the same, have expended the sum of ninety-eight thousand dollars, ($98,000;) and our surety for the faithful performance of the contract had been given, and we were bound to be ready to carry the mails.

Your letter certainly did not annul the contract; for then our sureties would have been released from all responsibility on our account, and we absolved from all reproach for the failure of the enterprise. On the contrary, the department still considered the contract binding upon us, as is apparent from the subsequent correspondence with Messrs. Harris & Morgan. The steamers belonging to these gentlemen were carrying the United States mail between that city and Vera Cruz. They had addressed you on the subject of a change in the days of departure from each port, so as to connect, by means of our line across Mexico, with the Panama steamers, at Acapulco, running to San Francisco; and thus supplying additional facilities for a more rapid and frequent transmission of intelligence to and from California. The advantage of this arrangement would have been immense to the Atlantic and Pacific cities, without any inconvenience to the department, and moreover without one dollar expense to it; of course, this arrangement was intended to continue only until the appropriation should be made under our contract, when steamers were to be placed on the line between Acapulco and San Francisco.

The wishes of Messrs. Harris & Morgan, as well as those of the Pacific Mail Steamship Company, desiring this temporary change in the schedule time between New Orleans and Vera Cruz, were fully communicated in writing to the department. But in your letter to Messrs. Harris & Morgan of the 3d of November, 1853, you refused to accede to this request; predicating your refusal on our contract made with your predecessor, Mr. Hubbard, for the transmission of a semi-monthly California mail, in which it was not contemplated that the mails sent from New Orleans, via Vera Cruz and Acapulco, should go forward to California by the Panama steamers, but by another line running only between Acapulco and San Francisco; and which contract was awaiting the sanction of Congress. You add: “No such sanction has yet been given by Congress; but apart from this, and without troubling you with my views on the subject, it is simply necessary for me to say, that there can be no recognition by the department of any arrangement by which the additional semi-monthly mail, clearly contemplated by the then Postmaster General, can be dispensed with.” In this there is a positive recognition of our contract or arrangement with Mr. Hubbard as still existing, which the department would not “dispense with,” although it would, while our appropriation was pending, have shortened the time some ten days to and from California by connecting with the Panama steamers touching at Acapulco.

When the annual report of the Post Office Department, in December, 1853, was transmitted to Congress, we were led to believe, for the first time, that you had decided virtually to annul our contract, as the estimate for an appropriation under the contract was not sent in by you, but another route for a semi-monthly mail was recommended. You will thus perceive we were not apprized of the intentions of the department until the close of the year 1853, when all our expenses had been incurred, and when, in consequence of the official report, our operations ceased.

In conclusion, the department, by its action, having virtually annulled the contract, and having assumed to do that which, by the terms of the contract, was left to Congress, we therefore deem ourselves grievously damaged, and have more than an equitable claim for redress.

Very respectfully, your obedient servants,

ALBERT C. RAMSEY. E. H. CARMICK.

Hon. JAMES CAMPBELL, _Postmaster General_.

Share this Story