All Comments on 'Reader's Block'

by cookingwithgas

Sort by:
  • 86 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Jack is often a nick name for a person named John. I got confused for a time thinking your two characters were the same person.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well done.

SyzyguySyzyguyover 1 year ago

A very interesting and novel take. I like the way that you build it up. I'm not sure about the bit with the laptop and the meeting, it seemed to pull away from the central focus on Jack and Tracy but otherwise this is very ingenious. You build the tension slowly but surely as the tale unfolds and as you reveal the context to me, your reader. I do hope that John gets a belter deal with seeing his daughter, Gabby. Thank you for posting it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I like that. All the revenge is in the background and he makes a guy feel good about himself.

Well written story.

servant111servant111over 1 year ago

Interesting.

5 stars

mordbrandmordbrandover 1 year ago

John at the bar is a friend of mine

He gets me my drinks for free

And he's quick with a joke, or to light up your smoke

But there's some place that he'd rather be…

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago
I get sucked into reading what others thought. Some of them make me feel almost... combative. That's why I rarely read comments written about my own stories. Sometimes I just skim.

I skim your stories too. Comments are better!

PowersworderPowersworderover 1 year ago

I had mixed feelings about this one.

I liked the part where he kept screwing with the ex-wife's boyfriend. That guy was an asshole for destroying marriages and deserved to suffer.

-

The part that sucked was the lame rational for forgiveness and reconciliations. Blaming the husband for the marriage breakdown is bullshit. If the wife was that unhappy, she should've just been honest about it and asked for a divorce. There's never any justification for having an affair and inflicting lasting emotional pain on the betrayed husband.

The mature way of handling that kind of betrayal is not forgiveness. It's to pick yourself up, focus on improving your fitness and your career, until your life is much better without her. Then when you move on with a younger woman, the ex-wife can wallow in bitterness, envy, and regret, at the wonderful life she could've had, but threw away. Nothing hurts a selfish hypergamous whore more than realising she traded down.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

That was boring and stupid. And since you decided it would be a good idea to make stupid comments on other people's stories, maybe other writers will start making stupid comments on yours. I hope so.

other2other1other2other1over 1 year ago

That was a little different, I enjoyed the read.

BriteaseBriteaseover 1 year ago

It’s for stories like this, that I look at Lit. (Almost) every day.) 5 *

Mac_LapuMac_Lapuover 1 year ago

It was well-written.

But confusing...

As if the story is not finished...yet.

Really, it was confusing, in the ending I got nothing on what the story is.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

More clever than engaging. I didn’t find myself caring for any of the characters. It was like the author was moving cardboard characters around in a complex dance. Distracting and fun to watch, but just a slight diversion.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very interesting. Worth a QuickMagazine 4 score. And 20 years ago? I checked CWG's bio page, and he became a member this May. So maybe, like me, he was an active, "anonymous" reader for those 20 years. Whatever. Tracy, huh? So John became Hooked? The 4 ladies at the table recall the 4 ladies Bobby's kids urged him to join in the immortal "A Promise Made, A Vow Broken." Though none were escorts in the H57. Mordbrand's quote, I believe, is from a song, but can't place it. Guess that's MY 51%.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJover 1 year ago

Interesting. Chapter two should be John Baker telling his story and how he got his man card back.

CriosCriosover 1 year ago

Awesome BTB! What makes it good is that it leads the reader to believe it won't be, before dropping the hammer.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Damn, this guy keeps getting married! Why?????

Regguy69Regguy69over 1 year ago

Nicely clever. Your dialogue always seems real and flows well. This is a new slant on the revenge venue.

I always read the comments I get and it’s obvious a lot of folks just skim the story before commenting, then others take them to task for getting things wrong. I can’t imagine you get too many negative comments about your writing. Please continue to share!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Clever, novel story and well written, thank you. It is certainly a breath of fresh air compared to most of the nonsensical drivel that has been deemed worthy of being published on this site for the past few years.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Devon comes across as a guy with too much money ....

and too much time on his hands.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I concede I had to read thru this twice to connect all the dots…but once I did, I let the cleverness of both the writing AND the plot wash over me.

.

Obviously Deven has plenty of $$$ with which to concoct and pull off his revenge schemes. Giving John some hope AND a great night out was $$$ well spent! Almost altruistic 🤗

.

Lot of truth in tne exchange with John that any successful marriage has to be a two way street paved with communication. Did John learn anything? Hopefully so.

.

cookingwithgas continues to impress.

.

4 strong ****

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

If guns don't kill people, then assholes don't "turn" good women into whores. Two failed marriages are like two failed businesses; its the business owner's fault. If you're relying on your spouse to make the marriage work then the marriage is already failing. Meeting your spouse "half-way" is like two people in a row boat each trying to limit their effort to 50%, half, right? So who's getting the other half? And you did have your character address the reality that marriage failure is almost never one sided. But then you seemed to fall back on the Super Predator plot foil, where some super stud turns otherwise loyal faithful wives into cheating cruel whores. Nope. If you wake up one day after years a marriage and find yourself sleeping next to an aardvark, you married an aardvark. Not the aardvark's fault you were paying attention. A vagina is just an organ, not a human being. And the most splendid excellent vagina in the world cannot change an unscrupulous woman into a good person. Some guys learn that the hard way, like the guys in this story. It was OK. Thanks for the effort.

Frank66Frank66over 1 year ago

Not a very satisfying read- what 'Syzyguy' calls an 'ingenious build-up', I call just plain confusing. Call me shallow, call me slow, but I kept waiting for the big reveal and it kind of fell flat. The writer say he has problems with some commenters; that's fine, most of us have problems with them, too. Name names, and speak straight.

imhaplessimhaplessover 1 year ago

Cute and original; 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

People will often say that infidelity is a sign of a deeper relationship trouble. . But that story-line largely comes from the therapist's couch, after a spouse has gotten caught cheating. One of the main mistakes a Therapist make when dealing with infidelity is taking a cause and effect approach. Infidelity is about betrayal, a violation of trust, broken promises and commitments and has to be treated as such. While infidelity certainly causes a marital problem, marital problems are NOT the cause of infidelity. Adults in relationships have those hard discussions with the relationship partner. Never assume they know what your issues are about the marriage or relationship. They're not fucking mind readers. If both partners cannot amicably solve their issues even with profession help then the adult thing to do is leave the relationship before starting another relationship. Cheating is just a cowards way to avoid doing the adult and responsible thing for ending a relationship.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A whole lot of build-up and then ends before anything actually happens. Very disappointing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

That was a wasted 5 minutes I'll never back. Pretty much two pussies getting together at a bar to whine about their ex's. With one thinking he's putting something over on some else. Obviously you shouldn't read comments at all. Better yet turn comments off. But I'm sure your bloated ego isn't going to allow you to do that.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 1 year ago

Laughed my ass off at the end - hilarious! As an aside, if you're on your 3rd wife, you may own a bit more than 51%... 4*

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989over 1 year ago

I think we the readers were kept in the dark to long. The kill shot was executed nicely, but not given time to fully impact the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Through the entire story I felt tension building and only kept getting stronger until at the very end I was expecting some huge twist to be sprung like John was really the guy that stole Devons wife or something. But it turned out to be essentially an annoying prank. Up until the last sentence I was still expecting to hear gun shots ring out after John sees Jack in the building since he feels emboldened by the pep talk.

Also Jack is monumentally stupid. The last time he stole a mans wife he kept getting messed with until he gave up. And then immediately starts sniffing around another married woman. Would be funny to see John mess with Jack the same way Devon did after Devon had his fun and have John pass things forward by helping the next guy in another story.

BehindbluisBehindbluisover 1 year ago

And I keep hearing that all of the "Loving Wives" stories that could have been written, have been written. More proof that the human mind is infinite. Thanks for the read!

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinionover 1 year ago

I liked it, a little convoluted but I still was able to follow it.

Hay mordbrand! I love Billy Joels "Piano Man"

cookingwithgascookingwithgasover 1 year agoAuthor

Yay! One anon got it! I knew someone would. He just skims my stories. Very clever and 2.5* My friend, your comment stays up, because you sir, win a tiny little lollipop. Private message me (so I can see who you actually are) and I will send you the free candy. It's very generous honesty. I'm sure when you boo or nod off at a free concert, you aren't getting a bunch of guitar picks thrown at you, right? Sad little guy wins free lollipop, the headline read. Well done anon! We sure fixed John up properly in the story, now let's see what can be done for you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Interesting. Thanks.

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 1 year ago

1st this is a very good story. Unique and interesting And the plot is actually pretty good.

.

I do take a little hungry however at the comment made by the author with regard to Reconciliation at all cost readers and burn the bitch regulars readers.

.

We all know that there are frequent members in the LW Category who always either hate the story because it doesn't go the way they wanted to. .

.

But sometimes the comments are intense or combative becathey were combative because the story is really frustrating and a reader feels that the author has done a poor job in up in resolving the conflict or changing the story line without any real foundation.

.

I cannot tell you the number of times I have seen well written LW stories which feature page after page paragraph After paragraph of the husband rantng and raging about how this is unforgivable and will never accept it....only to see 3 Power mass later they're back together.... Without any explanation in the story.

.

My point is that complaining about a story where A character's Egregious and cruel actions have not been confronted or talked about or resolved.... Is not the same thing As complaining about Halley As complaining about The wife did not pay any consequences for her actions .

.

And far too many readers and authors fail to see the distinction between the 2

JH4FunJH4Funover 1 year ago
Good Read (3 Stars)

It was a good read. As always the writing is well put together and not to long.

Keep Writing

JH4Fun

UnassignedUnassignedover 1 year ago

Interesting story. You get extra bonus points for "Went through a bunch of crap about why. I never listen, I can't communicate, it's like talking to a brick wall, yada yada." The "yada yada" had me do a spit take with this morning's first cup of coffee.

BigfundrewBigfundrewover 1 year ago

Nice!

Different and new angles and twists.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Dude, you're such a nerd that by the time I finished reading my estrogen levels had risen so high I think I grew ovaries.

69gman69gmanover 1 year ago

I enjoy a unique story and this is definitely one of them. Thanks

FireFox59FireFox59over 1 year ago

Definitely a different spin on the cheated on husbands revenge.

cookingwithgascookingwithgasover 1 year agoAuthor

Shit. I just skim. Well that sounds like a lie on this one! LOL. Really, I couldn't stop due to all the clever and positive stuff being said. Even the negative ones were good feedback for me. Thanks and I'm humbled. @mordbrand is referring to Billy Joel's classic, "Piano Man," and when I read his comment I was pissed that I didn't think of it. Fucking genius, that was. Every town I go to where there's a dueling piano bar, I always throw that song in the suggestion bowl. Mordbrand is a super-skilled writer, and you should check out his work. He got me thinking that after John gets himself figured out, he ends up playing piano at some smoky little club, where he also devises over-the-top plots to help other male customers get over their cheating wife and get that damned man-card back! Sort of an average Joe (or John) who mimics Oscar in SaddleTramp's MMAS stories, just no gun or Federal badge. hmmm...?

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraover 1 year ago

Yes, a novelist! There are several who slum on this site. Like Hemingway, only virtually! Your writing skills are polished, clean, and your writing voice is superb. You don't use the word 'had' fifteen times a paragraph, and your characters don't spout a manifesto every half page (I'm guilty...but trying). You don't regale us with 50K word backstories. No extraneous verbiage. All the hallmarks of a person who eats off the fruits of their labor.

.

This: 'I don't believe anything happens by chance. If I meet somebody in a restaurant, a bar, or even in line at the post office, and they see fit to strike up a conversation, then I'm convinced it's a conversation that I should have.' Ha! There's at least two of us on this planetary ball!! I'm also that guy everyone pours their heart out too. Usually, the more anonymous, the greater the confidence. Some of the greatest spontaneous moments in my life happened because I either struck up a conversation, or I accepted another's engagement.

.

This is a fantastic story. Lots of well-played asides and some relevant and cogent advice. And a few backhanded... slaps or compliments? Maybe, both. As always, 5+++++/5!!

MormonJackMormonJackover 1 year ago

Loved it! Thank you!

VersatekVersatekover 1 year ago

I appreciate that while I could see where it was going, I didn't know how you were going to get there. Thanks for that!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Huh?

TnicollTnicollover 1 year ago

A really interesting approach. Very original plot!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Interesting for awhile. Then it became a story about this site. Not my cup of tea. 2 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Don't agree this is a shitty story about shifting the blame to the cheated spouse.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The author had a fresh approach to a well explored LW genre, but the story lost momentum once the MC began his lengthy explanation of his planned intervention on John's behalf. This is a prime example of the importance of the often offered advice that authors should "show, not tell." The story would have been much more interesting if we had been shown the plan in operation rather than having it conveyed through rather dry narrative.

teedeedubteedeedubover 1 year ago

That was fun. How did Churchill say it, 'a riddle, wrapped by a mystery, inside an enigma'? Very clever 'insider' story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Hhmmpf. Then when he gets home finds a strange car in the drive. LP

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Simply didn't like the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I really liked this one, different but you gotta love Devon’s persistence.

tangledweedtangledweedover 1 year ago

A nice palate cleanser after some of the shit shoveled onto LW readers recently. Usually I am not a fan of bringing the website into the story, but this one gets a pass.

dgfergiedgfergieover 1 year ago

good but a little convoluted for me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

As I read through the L/W Tag it strsts to become boring through repartition. This effort at least tells the tale I with different moves. Some of the best rated stories I’ve over details with the same stuff. Liked this story also because the writer got the husband involved and to buy into some blame. Finally I am a big fan of getting even without always an attack with a bat. The cheating wives were brought to a point where Jack’s last name was now Off.

Lawrie1941Lawrie1941over 1 year ago

I am still trying to work out where you were headed, damn you are so convoluted.

NitpicNitpicover 1 year ago
What

What is the point of this diatribe?.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Try cooking without a gas leak. Whatever you breathed in has really fucked with your head

This is bullshit

kirei8kirei8over 1 year ago

You call this "revenge", wow! Read some saddletramp, man.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Wow!! You have taken a hit big-time from commenters. Why do I feel you were trying to tell us something, but not doing well getting it across? This is a BTB category, and you didn't get that done. Try again. Keep writing.

XYZ

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well written. Mission accomplished. You got your ship into port and I, for one, am enjoying the wake.

DrgwngDrgwngover 1 year ago

First,if ic69 hunterloser likesd it then it must be really bad. But secondly, this is not a two tone, black and white deal. Vey few writers here allow for casual, calculated indifference, because that may not make good drama. In the real world however…. Very effective in many cases. Cheating women like to consider themselves good folk. Still be friends….was forced to take the action she did….hubbies fault as in this story…. Well, just no. So many stories here he invites her into his house after the divorce. They go to dinner. They attend gatherings. Uhm just no. Complete and utter separation, if kids involved, then bare minimum contact and communication…. Not running afoul of the law, keeping up pressure as such, and so on. Much more common I suspect. Did not rate this highly at all.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

A sequel would be great to this, one where someone finds out why their life turned to shit and who caused it.

The story ends with the bastard alive and tied to a chair while watching a live video of each and every member of his family being executed after they are told why starting with kids and going towards grandparents, all being informed exactly why this was happening to them, who this person was and if they had a message for him.

But since, as an author, you found it funny, here's hoping you will catch the interest of a psychopath that would make sure the same worst of things happen to you.

oldtwitoldtwit10 months ago

Oh that’s put a smile on my face, another good one

Norseman123Norseman1239 months ago

Nice spin 5*****

Chimo1961Chimo19619 months ago

This is a great read and a great idea if you can get the confrontation on video? Lol 5 for effort and plot

WisquejacWisquejac6 months ago

Fun stuff. Thanks.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc6 months ago

One of your best stories to date. I love the "story within a story" style you used. I would like a bit more on the dynamics with the children and the impact each time on them. Well done overall - 4.6*

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Legendary!!! 10/10! (Fives is fer 'plebes!)

26thNC26thNC6 months ago

That was some really goo stuff. I love it a *5’s worth.

silentsoundsilentsound6 months ago

This was machiavellian and I just wish there was more.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Its just me. I always have trouble with the deaf dumb and blind cuck waking up one day and suddenly, supposedly, figuring out that he's married and sleeping next to an aardvark. Yeah, who's fault is that? Wives who lie cheat and steal are just one category of people who exude an emotional psychological stink. A skunk is actually a pretty cute animal, but it is not worth trying to get close to. Whore women are in the same category as the skunk: cute, from a distance, and the farther the better. Get too close and sooner or later you get shit on. Heard of gaydar? Well there's whoredar too. Use it.

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShades5 months ago

Great Story. Thanks for your writing.

inka2222inka22225 months ago

Good story. I don't really see much of a "revenge" here, so Tracy sees her ex-husband with a couple of hot women, she'll be jealous for an hour and then remember she fucked him over PERMANENTLY and still will be the winner and not punished in any meaningful way. The juvenile "get the car" thing was kinda fun but again, not very impactful to either woman, he wasn't gonna stay with them long term, not that kind of man. And honestly to a guy like that, having some issues with his car is worth fucking over two marriages, literally and figuratively.

inka2222inka22225 months ago

@anon - seriously, you gonna blame victim of cheating for "not having a radar"? That's rich. And stupid. And immoral and unerthical. All the adjectives perfectly describing people like you.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

I must be dense or something, I can't make any sense of the tape measure or dry hands. Can someone please help one who is clueless? Thank you.

HappyId

RodzzzRodzzz4 months ago

I read the entire story skipping through the boring nonsense parts of course and none of it made any sense. The end was even more confusing than the heart of it all. I must be getting dumb in my old age but I totally didn't have a clue as to what it was I was indulged in.

cruzer1955cruzer19552 months ago

Well written, as I have come to expect from this writer. At least the protagonist wasn't a bitch boy cuck. That is refreshing.

Calico75Calico752 days ago

Well written and entertaining.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usercookingwithgas@cookingwithgas
Romance novelist, under pen name K.L. Denison. You can follow me on Amazon, KDP and coming soon on SmashWords Like writing and posting free stories for others' enjoyment - often just to clear a writer's block. Real life can be pretty boring, so I strive to avoid the common ...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES