Reading the Defense Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Staring in disbelief over the massive welded creation Liz exclaimed, "Oh-my-GOD! I don't even know this woman and I already love her! This is going to be an absolute riot."

As soon as they walked through the front door, warm greetings from several of the other teachers and assistants from Samantha's wing were shouted out to them. Despite Carolyn's love of God's Country, the interior of the house was classic and both warm and welcoming. The aroma of very familiar comfort foods drifted through the hallway. As Samantha and Liz made their way into the kitchen to grab a drink, they both looked at the walls, filled with framed landscapes and figurines, and then back at each other before bursting into laughter.

"Who knew."

A tall, wiry man in his early forties came up behind Liz and Samantha stepped around her to give a warm greeting.

"Allan, this is my friend Liz. Liz, Allan teaches fifth grade." Allan extended his hand out and shook Liz's, squeezing it tightly.

"It's very nice to meet you Liz, I've heard a lot about you." Turning back to Samantha, he spoke over the music. "I see you made it out okay." Liz looked with open curiosity at Samantha with Allan's question.

"Yes, but you're breaking rules Allan. We're not supposed to talk shop here." He shook his head and laughed a little.

"I can't help it, you needed help and I'm glad I was there to be that person."

Taking a sip of wine much larger than necessary, Liz had enough of the small talk and wanted to know what they were talking about. "Can I be the Nazi of the party and smack everyone when work gets brought up?"

All three laughed before Samantha chimed in, glancing back and forth between Liz and Allan. "This morning one of my students got out of hand. It was awful, Liz if you could have been there. He started to throw his papers and then he smacked one of the other students. I didn't want to get rough but I had to get some help while he calmed down. Allan sat in with my students while all of this was going on."

"And you did fine, but enough school talk." Samantha saw someone waiving to Allan before he could continue. "My wife is signaling food, that's my cue." Samantha took a sip out of her own glass and nodded to him. Liz's eyes followed Allan and then turned to her friend.

"You know who he reminds me of? Rob. That guy who works with Dave, he has the comb-over."

Samantha tapped Liz's arm and laughed. "Slow down with the wine, Liz." She shook her head trying to compose herself. "You are so bad; he's a really nice guy."

"I don't doubt that, I was just saying. He really does remind me of him. Slight build, brown hair. Now if he drove a Prius, I think we found Rob's doppelganger." Liz laughed at the thought.

Soon enough, both women found themselves perched in the heated sunroom chatting with several of the other faculty members. Liz was deep in conversation with one of the assistants who also had a young child, while Samantha was talking with Carolyn and her husband. Naturally their conversation started with each of their classes and funny stories but turned to the more personal.

"Carolyn tells me you've been seeing someone new." Samantha blushed. Normally she kept her relationship status quiet, especially at work, but it was kind of hard to do that with some of Gabe's surprise visits.

"Yes, I'm sorry he couldn't be here to have met you." Samantha's smile dropped slightly, she had been distracted for most of the night and hadn't thought about Gabe until then.

"Is he out of town?" Carolyn had met Gabe briefly a couple of times and was curious about the man who seemed to be adding to Samantha's recent happiness.

"No, he had last minute meetings tonight so he couldn't make it."

"So what does he do again?" Carolyn nudged her husband in the shoulder.

"Smooth Kevin, very smooth." Samantha laughed with them before answering.

"It's okay really, even I can't believe it sometimes. He's a Receivers Coach for the Cougars."

"There has got to be some good perks out of dating someone like him." Kevin asked out of curiosity.

Smiling, Samantha said, "You have no idea. I had never been to one of their games before, the fans can get out of hand. It's all in good fun though."

"Sorry Samantha, but I'm a diehard Bears fan. As much as Rockford needed a boost, or the fact that having two clubs in the area is exciting as hell, I'm still angling to get a lifetime season pass at Soldier Field." Kevin spoke solemnly but all three laughed at his mock statement.

"My brother-in-law has been trying to talk me into having Gabe get him tickets to the rest of the home games this season. The man doesn't even live in state. It's tragic."

"Does he get a break for the holidays?" Kevin took a sip of his beer.

"The team is off for a few days right around Thanksgiving." That nervous feeling dug into Samantha, the same question had been a constant thought in the back of her mind as the holidays were approaching.

"Well, that will be nice for you then. Giving you both a couple of extra days to spend together."

She simply shrugged her shoulders, trying to figure a way of changing the subject. "Not really, I'm flying out to spend it with my family in Seattle. It's easier to travel during November than in December, before the weather shifts."

When she was at his house the last time, the holidays got brought up briefly while they sat together on his couch. Casually, she told him that she would be flying back to Seattle for a few days but would be staying in Chicago for Christmas. He had told her that his family met up at his parents' house in Michigan, but wasn't sure if he would make it up to see them or not. Taking a large sip of wine, she then licked her lips, wanting to change the subject. "What about you guys, isn't your son coming home from school?"

Carolyn answered as her husband got up to replenish one of the many food dishes. "Oh yes, Brandon has an entire week off. This reminds me, I'm having a substitute fill in for me. Will you keep an eye out on my class?"

Tilting her head slightly, she laughed at the request. "Of course Carolyn, but seeing as my track record with crazy students is kind of low right now I'm not sure if I'll pass the test."

Patting her hand, Carolyn spoke. "Samantha, you're better than you think you are."

By nine o'clock Liz turned a wild eye to Samantha, glancing at her friend to see what was wrong she saw the phone in her hand. Somewhere in the evening, Dave had called his wife at least eight times. It was in the car when Liz laughed through all of the messages. Even turning the volume up on her phone so Samantha could hear the frenzied state he had been in, when he couldn't figure out how to work the nebulizer. She dropped Liz off at the school to retrieve her car and ended up at home in no time.

Crashing on the couch in pajama shorts and a tank top, Samantha had scattered a few papers around her floor attempting to get a couple of hours work done. With Gabe's away games or night meetings he tended to call her late, she had fallen into the habit of either staying awake and using that time to work or take warm baths. Tonight, she decided to work and was having a hard time focusing.

She couldn't deny that she and Liz had a blast at the party, as shots of god only knows what were circulating and dancing started in the front room, it became an undeniably successful night. When Liz had called back letting her know she would be free to come out, she had gotten overly excited. Being out and feeling free to talk about anything and everything with another group of people was fun. Not that she didn't love her time with some of the women from the team, let alone her time with Gabe, but this felt good. She had not realized how much football had begun to be part of her life. Samantha knew Gabe's schedule better than she knew her own; on more occasions than one she had rearranged her schedule just to spend an hour with him, even if all he talked about was football.

It felt good, but it also felt wrong. When several of the people had asked where Gabe was, she felt like she had been missing something. Knowing Liz was there was one thing, but she didn't feel like she was fully enjoying herself because she knew he would have enjoyed the night off and had a good time too. He had been so tired the night before and when they were in her bed, he curled himself tightly around her as if he'd never let her go and slept soundly. Samantha had gotten used to feeling his warm body, having it close even if it only lasted for a couple of hours. Sipping her tea, she toyed with the edge of a piece of paper as the telephone rang. She looked at the display and saw Gabe's name. In that moment she was torn between her feelings.

Samantha wanted to answer the telephone, wanted to talk to him and describe the house and the party. She craved to hear the rumble of his laughter, that undoubtedly would sound tired. But she also didn't want to talk to him, and that surprised her more than anything. As the phone continued to ring, she looked at it and let the call go to voicemail. She was missing him deeply but didn't want to upset him or make him feel guilty for something he had no control of. In that moment, she didn't have control of her emotions and knew it was best that she wait until the next day before she could speak with him. When the phone signaled a new message, she immediately listened to it.

Hey Sam, I was hoping to catch you before you fell asleep to see how the party was. I'm sure you and Liz had a great time. Dave, I'm guessing not. Now all I can think about is you in bed, curled up in the covers and feeling warm. I wish I was with you right now. I'll call you tomorrow sweetheart, sleep well. I miss you.

Damn that man, she needed to let go of her own insecurities. If he could, he would have been there. She could hear it in his voice. Taking another sip of tea, Samantha smiled as her heart swelled. Pushing the papers back together, she would call him first thing in the morning before he went to work out. Feeling good at the thought, Samantha took a deep breath and knew tomorrow would be a better day.

****

By Thursday, they were finally able to get together. Between a last minute meeting after one of the players pulled a muscle and her emergency parent conference for a troubled student, Gabe and Samantha had not had a chance to see each other all week. Gabe would be flying with the team the following morning for the game before the holiday, and wanted to be with Samantha before he left. When he called her the night before, she seemed more upset than he'd ever heard her. Half way through their conversation she asked him if she could call him back, he agreed but couldn't let go of the nervous feeling in the pit of his stomach. Forty minutes later, he was still sitting in the screening room, not paying attention to the action overhead when she called back.

Having to punish a child was hard enough but adding in angry parents, it had really taken a toll on her. Not only had the child been hurtful and violent against another student, but the parents had treated her as if she were a child and were out of line with her. She told him that the principal had to be called in to assist her which made her feel less of a teacher. When she finished telling him everything, he was shaking with anger. Anger over how someone would treat her like that, but really he was angrier that he could do nothing to help her except be supportive. Of course she laughed him off, and when he asked to come over she said no, needing that time to collect herself.

As they snuggled up on her couch, practice footage filled the small screen in front of them. Gabe sat with his legs on the coffee table while he took notes; Samantha got comfortable surrounding herself in his masculine scent as she lay next to him with her cheek resting on his lap. The season was getting closer to ending for her, but for Gabe things were just starting to heat up. The Cougars had been having a horrible season and were tied at fourth place in their conference, most of his time had to be devoted to strategizing. Which meant less time to play after school. She was more than excited when he said he'd bring film over with him; she could almost hear the need in his voice to be with her. Spending hours watching game film was something she could do without but it was giving her the chance to be with him, so she took it.

In her comfortable perch, a yawn broke from her mouth. Before running his fingers through her hair, Gabe tucked a pen behind his ear. "Someone's tired."

"Mmm, I'm fine." She stroked his thigh softly, trying to adjust her eyes to the brightness of the television screen.

"...Sam."

She was hesitant to say anything, but the words left her mouth before she could think twice. "I'm not ready to leave you yet."

He laughed, "You're not leaving me. I'll be in there soon."

Sighing, "It's not the same, I'm fine. Really." Samantha sat up defiantly and took a sip of water, as if to prove that would help keep her eyelids open. Gabe laughed and turned his attention back to study the screen.

With her eyes following his, she nodded at a player, "How's your guy doing?"

Gabe was completely engrossed in his notes and didn't hear her, despite being next to her. Pulling her knees to her chest, she tucked her toes under his thigh jarring his attention. Samantha asked, again but kept her eyes on the screen. "Marcus is so fast, he cut just right."

He smiled at her, "Since when are you interested in Jennings?"

She turned to face him, "Since you hijacked my television." Gabe draped an arm around her, and then kissed her nose. He knew it wasn't the best of nights, but at this point in their relationship they didn't care how or when they got together. So long as they did get together. Both were making huge efforts, but he knew it was getting increasingly difficult for her and was doing his best to be with her every chance he got. While they were sitting, he reached over for the remote to rewind for a footing check when a thought popped into his head.

Pointing at the television, he punched a button and the screen darkened. "We need to go out."

"What? Gabe, it's past midnight."

He laughed, "No, not right now. You need sleep first."

Samantha squeezed his side, "So do you."

"I'll sleep in February." She scoffed at him. "This is crazy, and definitely not how I'd imagine a night with you."

She laughed, "Gabe, I'll take you any way I can right now. You know this. If that means a Thursday night nitro and an intermediate class on football, well I'm obviously signed up."

"Yeah, well I'm not. The day my girlfriend notices how a player arches for a ball is the day we fix that sh-" Samantha covered his mouth with her fingers, quieting the sound immediately.

"Save it for the field, coach." One of the many things she had gotten used to was that Gabe had a filthy mouth. He yelled, screamed and cursed up a storm. While on the field. In the bedroom, she paid no never mind to it and loved when he growled something deliciously graphic in her ear. In the nights that they talked while he was still watching film or just wrapping a meeting, he would forget and curse without thinking. Gabe knew she was being playful with him despite the hour. His eyes widened as she placed a little kiss over her fingers as they rested over his lips.

That night he followed her into her bedroom and sank into her body, making love to her in a timeless rhythm. They moved together as one, each deep thrust remained gentle and took their passion to another level. Afterward, Gabe lay awake facing Samantha. He watched as her brow furrowed in her sleep. His own body begging for a rest, he knew that while he was awake he should slip out of bed and spend another hour getting notes ready for the morning practice. He didn't want to think about running out routes or connecting the run game with the pass game. Gabe only wanted to curl up with Samantha and fall into sleep, dreaming of her. His eyes started to droop, just as he was reaching to pull the covers higher over their bodies he figured out the perfect place to take her on their date as soon as he got back into town.

****

"Oh my god, you're alive!" Liz shouted out to Samantha as she walked into the house, fully decorated with bright streamers and helium filled balloons.

With her hands full, Samantha shouted greetings out to Dave's mother Marian and a few others that were already sitting in the front room. Making her way to the kitchen, she retorted. "That's not funny."

"Yeah it is, and you know it. Do you know seeing you lately is kind of like making an appointment with the dentist?"

Putting one of the platters down, she looked over at Liz mockingly. "The dentist? Really Liz?"

"The dentist, or sex therapist." Her voice, definitely above a whisper.

"Shh Liz, my god!"

"Oh don't shh me. I think it's pretty great, but I miss my friend...andpart time babysitter." Liz pulled the cellophane off of the tray of roasted vegetables Samantha had brought in with her.

Leaning her hip against the counter, Samantha let out a sigh. "I can still babysit, whenever you want Liz. There's a string of away games next month, you and Dave could use a date night."

Waiving her hands, Liz started to laugh. "Listen to you!"

"I'm offering my services and you're laughing at me. Seriously Liz, I think you should get therapy – maybe with this sex therapist you're having a hard time making an appointment with." Samantha couldn't hold her own laugh back."

"Smarty pants. Do you even realize some of the things you say sometimes?"

"What are you talking about?"

Liz laughed as she rearranged the food on the tray. "You don't, that's too funny. You talk about football."

"I do not."

"Yes, you do. Not all of the time, but you'll say something that you've obviously connected in your mind and say it. Like just now, you're thinking about the football schedule and your schedule. "Liz looked up and smiled at her friend.

"Oh my god, I do! That's awful." Samantha was genuinely surprised, but knew Liz was right. How many times had she found herself talking to someone about how other teams had fallen in their conferences? Or even looked forward in getting an update on an injured player she had met briefly at a dinner function with Gabe.

Liz nudged her with a free shoulder, "it's not awful. I think it's wonderful. All of your talk about how you don't see Gabe or he cancels on your dates, this shows how involved you are. Nope. It's not awful."

Shrugging off what Liz was saying, Samantha started putting together a plate with silverware and napkins. "Sorry I'm so late, I forgot to dust the crumb cake and remembered as I started to drive off."

"Don't worry about it. Dave isn't even on his way yet."

For the party, she made the provencal potato salad that Dave always begged for whenever there were gatherings. Knowing that Liz was putting together oven roasted chicken and a pot roast, she roasted vegetables. Out of all of the dishes, she was most excited over the blueberry cake and had a feeling it would be devoured the minute the first slab was cut. As she put the finishing touches to the salad, the doorbell started to ring and the guests began to arrive. Dave's birthday wasn't until the following week; Liz had wanted to throw a party before the holiday, while everyone was still in town to help him turn thirty. Marian came into the kitchen with Trent in her arms, turning to Liz she spoke.

"Bill just called, they're on their way back now."

Liz walked over and kissed her son on the top of his head, "Thanks Marian." As the older woman shuffled out of the room, Liz turned to Samantha. "Marian literally got here a few minutes after Dave left this morning. It's a wonder he didn't know something was going on."