Reading the Defense Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

For the sake of their relationship, she would be honest with him the next time something came up.

****

The scent of freshly brewed coffee wafted through the hallways early Thanksgiving morning in the Russell family home. After spending the night re-working a few cross patterns and barely sleeping, Gabe had enough and finally got in his truck to make the drive to Michigan. Somewhere in between his phone call with Samantha and spotting breaks in the line of scrimmage -- he didn't want to be alone. Laurie Russell strolled into the kitchen wearing a flannel robe and stopped short when she saw her son leaning against the counter, overlooking the window. She was a pleasant woman, comfortable in her jaw length maple hair; everything about her was as welcoming as the sun that morning. She had worked as a nurse until retiring early a few years back, and Gabe had joked with her that they retired together. When he turned pro and signed a major contract, he offered to buy a new house for his parents but they refused. Their reasoning was that this home had roots that were bone deep, and they couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Thinking back, Gabe smiled, remembering Samantha saying the same thing when she moved out east.

"You always were an early riser." Walking over, she embraced her son tightly. "I didn't think you were going to make it. When did you get in?"

Gabe smiled at her as she slipped out of his arms and started to pour herself a cup of coffee. "About an hour ago. I was hoping to get here before everyone started to get ready."

"They will all be excited to see you, especially now that they will have an extra player for the game."

The Russell family had several traditions, one including a football game between the family members the morning of every holiday that they got together. What started as something for the children to do to keep busy, while Laurie was in the kitchen cooking, turned into something each had looked forward to every year. The backyard became a neutral ground where the four siblings could go after each other after fights over who got the car on a Saturday night, spending too much time in the bathroom or even who kissed one of the neighborhood girls first. The backyard became a free for all, even if that included a tackle.

"You look tired Gabe. Have you eaten anything yet?"

Gabe shook his head before taking a sip of coffee. One of the things he enjoyed about being the first one up in the house, was making the first pot of coffee. Over the years his mother had either put too few or too many grounds in the filter and he could never finish a cup without grimacing. "I didn't want to stop until I got here."

"Sit down, let me fix you some breakfast."

"I'm fine, Mom. Really, I'm not very hungry." Laurie gave her son a pointed glare, only making him laugh because the woman was far from serious at times.

"Gabriel Matthew, you need to eat." As Gabe laughed at his mother's exclamation, his younger sister Tara came into the kitchen. She hadn't seen Gabe standing near the window and automatically said greetings as she reached for her own cup of coffee.

Laurie laughed at her daughter, clearly overlooking her eldest son. "Mom, the kids are all up and getting ready. You'd think it was Christmas, but they're itching to get outside." Finally turning in search of an answer from her mother, Tara gave a 'whoop' of surprise at the sight of her older brother. "Oh my god! You said you weren't coming."

All three laughed. "I wasn't going to, but needed a break. My eyes were killing me."

"My kids are going to kill you the second they see you. I hope you slept a little because the monsters are up and running." Tara had two boys and a girl, while the boys always found themselves rough housing, Tara and her husband found that they needed to keep a closer eye on their rather quiet daughter who seemed to keep a permanent sparkle of mischief in her eyes.

The only Russell missing from the festivities was Gabe's youngest brother Nate, who was off visiting his girlfriend's family in Boston. His sister Tara and brother Tim, along with their families, were all crammed into the rooms, couches and even camped out in sleeping bags on the carpeted floors. All of them refused to stay anywhere but the family home.

Before long they were scooping up the breakfast casserole for everyone as each family member descended into the kitchen. One serving turned into three, and when the kitchen started to overflow, Laurie stepped in and ushered everyone out to play their traditional football game. Without needing to be told twice, everyone including Gabe made their way outside and started to split up into two teams. His sister Tara and his brother's oldest son Zachary were the captains, picking everyone and leaving Gabe the last man standing. Giving the excuse that he would cheat, they made him a referee, and he was forced to watch from the sidelines of the yard. The porch.

As eventful as it could be, Zachary's team ended up winning after an ugly block and Gabe just barely held off calling it a clipping near an old hickory tree opened up a pocket and allowed his brother to squeeze past everyone and run to the goal line. Afterward, Gabe found himself back in the kitchen with everyone except his father. While Laurie was basting the turkey, she had assigned each a task. Tara was peeling the potatoes, Tim had been preparing the dressing and Gabe got stuck washing the dishes that only came out for special events.

"Have you heard from Samantha yet?" Tara chirped from the kitchen table where she was peeling potatoes, getting them ready for a side dish. With all of the commotion and catching up with everyone, Gabe couldn't believe the topic of his girlfriend had not been brought up.

"She called late last night, one of her friends stopped by her Mom's house and they all had a night together."

One of the munchkins dashed into the kitchen and Tara stopped him with her foot. "This is a no running zone kiddo, take it outside."

Several of his nieces and nephews were running around from one end to the other, all calling out to him as they passed him in the hallway leading to the kitchen."Did I miss something this morning?" Gabe laughed as he turned to his brother and Mom as she handed him a cup of coffee.

Laurie looked beyond her son at the children as they played with swords made out of cardboard boxes. The girls were gluing leaves on construction paper for placemats. "Last night, your father beat Marie at Rummy and she has been demanding a faceoff since. She says it's unconstitutional that he wouldn't say his moves out loud." Tara looked over at him and raised her eyebrow.

Gabe grinned, and laughed at his sister. "She's nine!"

"Doesn't make her any more playing the fool, something you know very well Gabe."

Turning back to her potatoes she started peeling again as small feet treaded to the backyard. Finished with the dishes, Gabe sat down next to his sister, grabbing the second peeler that was on the table. Pulling the garbage bin between them he started to peel with her. Laurie looked over at the two of them and smiled.

With all of the kids out of the kitchen, Tara turned the subject back over about Samantha. "Where was she going to be today?"

"She's going up to her sister's house north of the city. When we were talking, she was working in the kitchen getting things ready. I could hear her banging pots and pans all over the place. She seemed excited to be putting everything together."

Tara picked up on the longing in his tone and nudged her brother. Both Gabe and Laurie looked over at the younger woman who sat shaking her head at the table. "Because I'm your sister, I have to be honest with you right?" Laurie nodded at her daughter and turned to the pantry for a bottle of spices.

"I think you found a keeper, especially if she can handle your double life."

He laughed at his sister, "More like overtime. She's hung in so far, I should hope she's a keeper."

"Don't be an idiot. It has to be interesting dating you during the season. No offense, because I love you, but still. You're hardly around."

"I'm around." Tara scoffed at his answer and kept peeling the potatoes. "I like her. A lot, and I'm trying hard to make this work but can't help if I can't get together every day. The season's been a sonovabitch with the losses and then adding in injuries and whatever else is slowing us down. I'd like to think I'm doing a damn good job with getting to see her as much as I do."

"Calm down Gabe, we can all see that. How is she with everything?"

Gabe stalled, remembering how Samantha had been in the car just after the game against Washington. "I know it bothers her but she doesn't say anything, even when I ask her. All she will say is that she realizes that it is part of the job, so I don't press her on it."

"I wonder if she's intimidated."

"What could she be intimidated by?"

Laurie shook her head at her son's indignant tone, while Tim added churlishly. "The fact that she is basically dating the NFL doesn't seem intimidating to you? It'd scare the hell out of me."

Tim had seen his brother date other women. None of them had actually made it through an entire season without breaking up with him and then getting back together during the off-season, or just breaking up. He knew Samantha had seen more of his brother than what he let on, and was willing to see their relationship through. "Why didn't you just go out there to be with her?"

"There wasn't enough time. I had meetings and it was important to be here for all of you. She understands."

"Are you sure about that?"

Gabe's tone was clipped. "We talked about it and she knows how I felt about flying out. I didn't leave the complex until two this morning; how would I have flown out?"

Blowing over his question, Tara added, "Talking is one thing. You don't get a lot of time off. This girl is making you the happiest I've seen you in a long time. An extra day with her, might have been nice."

Seeing the frustration on her son's face, Laurie knew Gabe was trying to make the best of his relationship with the young woman. After seeing him go through so many seasons, she had to agree with her children that the lifestyle itself was overwhelming. Overwhelming, but was an entrance to another world that provided enormous opportunities. "Gabe, we're not attacking you or Samantha. As long as you are both happy, and talk and work your way through, then that's all we can hope for."

Laurie had seen the change in her son and continued to voice her opinion. "You do seem happy, though."

"And I say it's about damn time." George Russell beamed as he came around the corner with Marie attached to his side, the little girl holding a deck of cards in her hands.

"Grandpa, you shouldn't swear," Marie piped up as she made her way to see how many potatoes her mother had gotten peeled.

"Since when did my relationship become a topic for family discussion?" He gave a rueful laugh.

George clapped a hand on his son's back. "It's okay, son, you should hear the conversations we have when you're not here."

Everyone in the kitchen chuckled together. It was Laurie who broke the noise as she gave her husband a cup of coffee and wrapped her arm around his waist. "Do what makes you happiest Gabe, and if Samantha makes you happy, then that's where you should be."

He laughed at her, "Mom, somehow I don't think I can fly across the country on Thanksgiving Day knowing she's flying back to Chicago on Saturday."

With knowing eyes, Laurie looked over at her son. He could never fool her.

"I'm not saying fly anywhere, Gabe." Kissing her husband's cheek, she turned from everyone and made her way outside to see her grandchildren's fort.

****

"Happy Thanksgiving!" Samantha shouted out as she walked through the front door.

After spending some time the night before with Hadley and her mother, Samantha took the majority of the late night and early morning hours to prepare the food for the celebration. For the day they would all gather at Kelly's house, a few miles away from where their mother lived. Kelly's house was small for her growing family but large enough so they were comfortable. With three bedrooms and three people, Samantha was thankful her Mom had a spare room where she could sleep. She and her mother had gone up to the house at around noon to celebrate. Two little boys of five and three came running through the front room, launching themselves at her.

"Auntie Sammy!" Samantha laughed at the nickname; somehow they took Sam and turned into something else that seemed to stick. Something she figured that was stuck for life. Leaning down she kissed the tops of both boys' heads and started making her way to the kitchen with the first load of food.

"Mmmm, it smells like turkey in here!"

"Hey you!" Samantha's sister, Kelly turned around and gave her a tight hug. The women looked nothing alike. While Samantha wasn't a blonde amazon, she wasn't short either. Kelly was petite and wore her short blonde hair cut just below her ears. Their mother who also had blonde hair, had always joked that Samantha had been dropped off at the front door by strangers.

"Where's Mom?" Kelly looked around the kitchen that was cramped with baking pans and mixing bowls.

"The boys got her and took her out to the jungle gym." Samantha laughed, knowing her mother was eating every minute up with her grandbabies.

Pointing to all of the baking pans, Samantha laughed, "Kelly, I got everything. All you had to do was get the bird in the oven!"

"Oh no, the boys wanted fresh pancakes this morning. Pete was having none of that box mix, and decided to be Martha Stewart for the morning. Pancakes from scratch, thank god he loves the morning antics of those crazy boys."

"Speaking of Pete, where is he?"

"He had to drop off some papers at the station and then he'll be here. Do you have a bunch of stuff in the car still?"

"Yeah, but don't worry, stay inside. I'll go back out and get it."

Samantha left her sister to head back to the car. Just as she stepped off of the porch, a truck pulled into the driveway. She burst into laughter as her brother in law rolled down his window, pumping his fist jokingly to the loud music. Coming to an abrupt stop, Pete parked the truck, got out and threw his jacket at her.

"It figures you show up with a car full of crap needing to be carried inside right as I show up. By the way if you tell your sister that I basted the turkey with vodka, I will kill you. We're supposed to go on a date next week." Pete broke out in laughter as Samantha made her way over to give him a big hug.

"Whatever Pete, it wasn't vodka. And she'd put out either way."

"We've got two kids to prove that one." He snickered. "It was alcohol, and if the boys get drunk, I'm blaming you!"

Both of them grabbed armfuls of plates and walked back into the house so that Samantha could get to work and piece the meal together. Kelly brought a glass of wine over to Samantha before sitting down at the table with her own to watch her sister at work. She unwrapped all of the plates of salad, roasted vegetables and their aunt's treasured scalloped potatoes.

"So, when are you going to sneak away and call Gabe?"

"Oh my god Kelly! I'm barely in here for a minute!" Despite her words they both laughed. "I'll call him in a little bit, his family is probably just getting into dinner now and I don't want to interrupt them."

"I highly doubt that he'd mind the interruption, but he's your boyfriend. How was last night? Mom said Hadley, looked...interesting."

"She would. It was a lot of fun. When did you talk to Mom?"

"This morning. I called her, I think you were in the shower or something. I needed to know what temperature to start the oven at for the turkey."

Samantha darted over to the oven to double check the temperature was correct for the recipe she was using. "I swear Kelly, I don't know how you've got grown healthy kids!"

"McDonalds has come a long ways. Okay, on with it."

"Hadley is thinking about moving to Chicago. Some of her artwork has been picked up by a few galleries so she has some money in the bank. She said she wants to 'branch out' of Seattle."

"Yeah, but didn't she say she was branching out when she went to Portland?"

"Portland is not branching out. Anyways, she sounded good about maybe making a move. She seems like she's in a good place right now."

"That's good." Kelly sipped her wine and looked out the window at their mother who was still playing with her children. "What was Gabe up to today?"

"He was heading up to spend the day with his family; it'll be nice for him to get a break."

"I'm sure it is; I can't imagine he gets very much time for breaks."

"Not many, but what do you do?" Samantha walked over to the stove and started placing pots over the burners, warming the food she had pre-cooked.

"Watch him on television, god bless it!" Both women laughed, in time for Pete to stroll into the kitchen in search of a beer.

Samantha rested her hip against the counter and took a deep breath, in between the short strokes of her stirring the gravy. Families never changed, and she was enjoying the time given to her to be near the people she loved. The boys in the backyard showing off for their grandmother on the jungle gym, her brother in law pulling his wife up out of her seat in the kitchen to dance to a pop song on the radio and the Thanksgiving Day football game playing on the television set in the front room.

****

Hours later after the turkey was ripped to shreds and the remnants of all the dishes were wrapped up for leftovers; Samantha stepped away from the house and onto the porch. Sitting down on the bottom step she dialed Gabe.

"Are you stuffed and feeling like hell or is that just me?" He was greeted by a low giggle followed almost immediately by her sigh. Gabe was driving back down to his home. Before Samantha's call, he had been contemplating spending a couple of hours working on his passing board, but hearing her laugh he couldn't remember what a pass was. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, it's nice to hear you." Gabe smiled on the other end and wished he could tuck her into his side.

"How is your family?"

"Crazy, my mom started pouring shots at nine this morning. Nine! Who does that?"

"Apparently your mother," Gabe said jokingly, knowing Samantha was on a roll and had a lot to say.

"Funny, but I'm telling you that there's no way you would have escaped a chocolate cake shot over coffee when on vacation. Anyways, just a little bit ago my brother in law was dancing to some heavy metal song and the boys were jumping around next to him. I think everyone is crazy here."

"What about you?"

"What do you mean, what about me?"

"How are you?"

"Exhausted, it's been a long day. I think I finally crashed around four this morning which is technically six--I want my own bed." She laughed, but the sound was tired. "Was your family as fun as they sounded?"

Gabe laughed, they had shared stories about each of their families and Samantha would always look in shock at him when he said they all got along. All of the time. With three boys and a girl in a single house, getting into arguments had typically been over who was in a bathroom and if it was over anything else, their parents quickly shushed them.

They fell into easy conversation as they both went through the day's events. Samantha laughed as she tried to explain how the boys started to pull the turkey bones apart when they were wrapping everything up and started sparring with each other. For a second, he lost his chain of thought and envisioned little boys of their own, and both he and Samantha trying to break up a scrap. He quickly collected himself and told her how he'd been forced to play as the referee in the traditional football game they played on every major holiday. He groaned at the thought, while she simply chirped back at him.