Real Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dylan stifled a yawn, and then gave his head a shake, trying to ease the sleepiness closing in around him. Having slept in this morning, he'd started late and shouldn't be tired yet, but it turned out that driving for hours at a stretch was exhausting.

Rover sat up beside him to nudge his arm with a concerned whimper and Dylan smiled faintly. Keeping his eyes on the road ahead, he reached down blindly to pet the border collie. It was as if the dog had a sixth sense when it came to him being sleepy.

"I'm all right," he assured the dog. "I'm fine. We're almost there. We should reach Middletown in a couple of hours. They say it's an idyllic small town. Hopefully, we'll take some photos we can sell."

Dylan forced a smile and sat up a little straighter in the driver's seat as he returned his hand to the wheel.

"A hidden paradise only a few know about," he continued explaining to his dog.

All of a sudden, he saw what seemed a like naked woman, as she stumbled out of a line of trees, and fell.

Dylan had to slam his brakes on and turn the wheel, to avoid hitting her. Despite pretty much standing on the brake pedal, the vehicle continued forward a good distance before coming to a shuddering halt that sent loose items tumbling out onto the floor.

Jaw tight, Dylan hoped he hadn't hit her. He glanced into the side mirrors, then the rear camera view as well, but there were no streetlights on this lonely back road and the side mirrors only reflected darkness.

He had to get out and look.

"Probably my eyes are playing tricks on me," Dylan told to himself.

Pushing the button to ease the driver's seat back several inches, he stood in the space he'd made and then paused, kept in place by Rover, who had by then stood up and was blocking his way.

"Move, boy," he ordered, and the dog obeyed at once, trotting toward the door behind the passenger chair. Able to move now, Dylan shifted to the right a few steps and opened the pull-up doors above the front passenger window to retrieve the large flashlight that was stored there.

Flashlight in hand, Dylan moved up behind Rover to reach for the lock on the door. It would have been easier without the dog in the way, but it was a dark, lonely road out there and Dylan was more than happy to let the Rover lead the way.

Not that he was that worried. Of course, he'd heard the stories of RVers getting jacked on lonely stretches of highway and such, but most drivers wouldn't take this route, they'd stick to the highways. Surely, smart criminals wouldn't sit around out here for days or weeks on end waiting for that one idiot driver who eschewed the highway for the more scenic route.

"On the other hand, who said criminals were smart?" Dylan asked Rover, as he pushed the door open. The border collie immediately bound down the steps and disappeared into the darkness.

"Rover! Wait for me!" Dylan shouted, rushing down the first two steps, only to pause on the last of the inside steps so that he could turn on the flashlight.

Cool, damp air slapped his face as he stepped down onto the side of the road, but Dylan barely noticed, he was shining his flashlight around in search of his dog. Catching a glimpse of Rover's tail end disappearing around the back of the RV, Dylan muttered a curse under his breath and moved a bit more swiftly.

"Rover?" Dylan called, as he reached the front of the RV and was startled to hear the slight quaver in his voice.

A bark sounded to his right, and he started in that direction but paused when the dog appeared before him, tail wagging and excitement in every line of his body. Once Rover had his attention, the dog barked again.

"What is it?" Dylan asked.

Dylan swung the flashlight from left to right on the road, frowning when the light didn't reveal anything but wet tarmac.

By his guess, it must have taken them a good twenty or thirty feet to stop, but it may have been as much as sixty or even a hundred. With twenty thousand pounds of weight behind it, the RV wasn't designed for fast braking.

Raising his flashlight to see farther down the lane, Dylan started away from the RV, but hadn't gone far before he began to feel unaccountably nervous at leaving the safety of the RV behind.

Rover stood next to Dylan, he noted, but the dog was staring off into the dark trees along the side of the road, body stiff and growling.

Dylan promptly turned the flashlight beam toward the woods where the dog had focused his attention. He caught a glimpse of something in the trees.

"It may have just been a shadow caused by the flashlight," he reassured himself.

Still, something had Rover upset. He decided to investigate.

Dylan headed first for the bushes along the road, eyes scanning for any signs of disturbance as he went.

His eyes widened, as he realized that he was peering at a very naked woman lying half inside the bushes and half on the road. She was bleeding.

"It looks like she'd dragged herself here before passing out... or dying," he said, grimly.

Eyes widening with surprise, he peered at the woman more closely, noting that she had a pretty face under all that dirt. Her chest was rising and lowering though. She was alive.

His brain tried to sort out how this young woman had come to be here when she groaned.

"What happened to you?" Dylan blurted out.

"Help me... kidnapped... Callie... Petersen..." the naked girl muttered, before passing out.

"You're safe," he said, softly.

She continued to stare, eyes searching... for what he didn't know, but apparently, she found it because she suddenly relaxed, some of the fear slipping from her expression.

Dylan stared at the woman briefly, telling himself that he was not going to be able to help her. She needed serious medical care, an ambulance and hospital, and gallons of blood.

"I'll get help," he said, taking out his phone to dial nine-one-one.

"There is no signal. Damn it!" he cursed in frustration.

Dylan wasn't sure where exactly he was, other than the name of the road. He peered up the road first one way and then the other, wondering how long it would take for the ambulance to get there.

He lifted her naked body from the pavement and carried her in his arms inside the RV.

"I'll take you to the hospital, Callie. Please hang in there," he whispered, dropping her gently on his bed. The sheets got instantly tinted with her blood.

He cleaned and bandaged her wounds. He wasn't terribly surprised when she passed out halfway through his work. He set the heater to the maximum and covered the poor girl with all his blankets.

Dylan gripped the steering wheel, knuckles white. He stole a glance at the photo on the dashboard. It was his fiancée, Billie, her smile as radiant as the sun. A tremor ran through him, a desperate mix of fear and determination. He slammed the car into gear and sped off, murmuring, "I won't let you die, Callie. I promise."

CHAPTER 3

A tall man of military aspect, but in civilian attire, approached Dylan with his hand outstretched.

"I was told you're the one I must thank for saving my sister's life. The doctors say if you hadn't found her and acted so quickly, she would have died. I'm eternally grateful, Dylan." Landon's voice was thick with emotion. "The police and FBI already filled me in, but I'd love to hear it from you."

Dylan dropped the empty coffee cup in the trashcan and shook the man's hand. His grip was firm.

"I'm Dylan... Dylan Thomas, no relationship with the writer. My parents are both English Literature teachers with a sense of humor, I guess. Nice to meet you, Mr. Petersen."

Landon smiled. "Please, call me Landon. You have my eternal gratitude, Dylan. Can you tell me how you found her?" There was a time when driving was unthinkable, a consequence of a past he wasn't ready to share.

Dylan had already told his story more than once, so it was easier this time.

"I was driving through some lonely back road. Back roads are my thing," Dylan began. "Can't stand aggressive highway drivers, the tailgaters, the people who seem to enjoy cutting you off."

Landon chuckled, a flicker of understanding in his eyes. He felt the same way about highways. There was a time when he wasn't even able to drive at all because he had suffered from PTSD.

"I was scouting the woods for a good night shot when your sister stumbled out of the trees and collapsed on the road. I thought at first, she was a deer, or some other small animal. But something made me check anyway. I found your sister bleeding from a wound in her back, barely conscious, and almost frozen to death. I couldn't get a signal on my phone, so I got her to my RV. She mumbled her name and something about being kidnapped. I patched her up as best I could, warmed her up, and hightailed it here as soon as I could."

"My sister owes you her life, literally, Dylan," Landon said, gripping his hand again.

Dylan shrugged, a flush creeping up his neck. "Anyone would've done the same, Landon."

"Maybe," Landon replied, his gaze steady. "But most people wouldn't have looked back."

"I work as a travel photographer so I always pay attention to the landscape."

Landon frowned. "A travel photographer?"

Dylan gave a shy smile, accustomed to the reaction. "It is a real profession, believe it or not. I capture landscapes, historical buildings, cultures, and people in a specific place and destination, selling the photos to travel magazine editors. It combines my love of travel with photography, a great way to see corners of America and make a living."

"Sounds interesting," Landon conceded.

"It is. I was actually heading to Middletown, a small town in Washington state."

Landon's eyes widened. "I know exactly where Middletown is. My wife and I live there."

"Really? Maybe you can point me toward some good photo spots?"

"I can do better than that," Landon offered. "Consider me your personal guide. You mentioned an RV?"

"Yeah, most of the places I visit don't have lodging or everything's booked solid."

"You'll be staying on my land then. I own a cabin in the woods. As soon as Callie is released, I'm taking her there to recover."

Gratitude filled Dylan. "Thank you so much for your offer, Landon. I truly appreciate it." They exchanged phone numbers, and Landon gave Dylan directions to the cabin.

A flicker of worry crossed Dylan's face. "How is Callie? Is she awake? Will she be okay? I kept asking the nurses, but they wouldn't tell me much since I'm not family."

"Callie's asleep for now," Landon explained. "The doctors say she needs rest, but she's out of danger and expected to recover fully. My wife's with her right now."

Relief washed over Dylan. "That's fantastic news."

Landon's expression darkened. "Dylan, did you notice a vehicle following you?"

"No, not at all. Once I got a signal, I found the nearest hospital and got here as fast as I could. Why?"

"The FBI informed me that hospital security cameras caught a black van arriving ten minutes after you did. Two men got out, checked your RV, and left when a police car showed up."

Dread coiled in Dylan's stomach. "They might have been after Callie."

"It's a possibility," Landon said grimly. "I heard the recording of the nine-one-one call my sister made. She was..." Landon hesitated, his voice thick with emotion," she was held captive in a basement, with other girls. Apparently, she was kidnapped by a human trafficking ring. The FBI had been searching for this group. They think this group is responsible for several kidnappings in the area.

"Human trafficking?" Dylan whispered, the words catching in his throat. "Really? I guess, the dark side of humanity is never far from view."

Landon nodded; his jaw clenched. "They found seven cages in the basement: one empty, five holding women, and one with a dead woman."

"Oh my God," Dylan breathed.

"They also found a dead man upstairs," Landon continued, his voice low. "Stabbed in the heart."

Dylan's eyes widened. "The nine-one-one call..."

A ghost of a smile touched Landon's lips. "Callie made it. There were signs of a fight and a lot of blood in the master bedroom. The FBI think Callie was wounded when she fought back her captor."

"She had a bad wound in her back when I found her," Dylan said, his voice trembling slightly. "I did my best to stop the bleeding."

"You saved her life, Dylan," Landon said, his voice filled with gratitude. "There was an open window on the second floor. They think Callie jumped down to escape. There was a trail of blood leading to the road where you found her."

"Your sister is one tough woman," Dylan said, with a newfound respect for Callie.

"Callie is the sweetest person I know," Landon said with pride, "but she's got guts. I taught her self-defense, and she has some military training under her belt, too."

A nurse hurried over to Landon. "Mr. Petersen, your sister is awake and asking for you."

Landon shot Dylan a grateful look and practically ran towards his sister's room. Dylan hesitated for a moment, then followed after him, his heart pounding in his chest.

++0++

Callie woke up feeling like a train-wreck victim. Every inch of her body seemed to be aching or sore. Her head was throbbing. It felt like someone was crushing her skull. But when she tried to shift to a more comfortable position, she thought her back right side was the worst. Moving had sent a shaft of pain shooting through her that made her suck in a sharp breath.

A groan started to slip from her lips, but the pain it caused in both her dry throat and her head made her abruptly cut it off. She tried to blink her eyes open, but the sudden assault from the light made the pain in her head roar and she quickly closed them again. After seven days spent mostly in utter darkness, it appeared her eyes were sensitive. But she had to know where she was and what the situation was.

Mentally bracing herself against the coming pain, Callie eased her eyes open, only to close them again as the pain in her head ratcheted up a notch.

Memory followed on the heels of the pain, crashing into her head like an angry bull. Callie was pretty sure she was no longer lying in the dirt outside the house of horrors, but where was she now? Had help come?

She looked around squinting her eyes. She was in what seemed to be a hospital room. The bright light. rather than the pitch black she was used to, suggest she was safe, but Callie had to know for sure.

She forced her eyes open a crack, and then a little more, and more still until she could make out the white ceiling overhead. That was reassuring, she told herself and opened her eyes a little further, her head shifting on what felt like a pillow so that she could take in her surroundings. The first thing she saw was an IV stand to her left with a half-empty bag of clear liquid in it. Then, she heard the soft beeping of a hospital machine.

She allowed herself to relax a little then, but continued to force her eyes open and peer around.

"Oh good, you're awake." That cheerful voice drew her gaze to the door to see her very pregnant sister-in-law sitting at her side.

"Grace?" Callie asked, trying to focus her eyes on her.

"I know. I'm huge," Grace said, rubbing her belly with a self-conscious laugh, as she took Callie's hand in hers.

"Where am I?"

The question came out in a cracked, raspy voice and hurt her throat.

"You're safe. You're at a hospital." Her sister-in-law leaned past her to pick up a glass of clear fluid from the bedside table. She offered the drink to Callie. "It's water. Room temperature by now, I'm sure, but it will wet your whistle."

Callie hesitated, but then accepted the glass. She barely managed to sit up the rest of the way, and her hands shook as she held the glass.

Her senses were still alert.

"Relax Callie," she said to herself. "Grace is not drugging your water."

She took a tentative sip, then another, and finally gulped down half the glass in one go. The liquid was silky and soothing in her mouth and throat and made her realize how thirsty she'd been.

"Thank you," Callie murmured, as she lowered the glass.

"You're welcome." Grace smiled widely. "I can't start to imagine what you went through, sweetie. You're safe now. Someone found you and brought you here after you bravely escaped."

"If you don't mind, I prefer not to talk about it," Callie rasped, looking away.

"Of course not," Grace squeezed Callie's hand gently. "Landon is here. I'll let him know you're awake."

Grace left the room, and a few minutes later, her big brother rushed inside, and I sat at her side and held her hand.

"Callie... you're finally awake," Landon said out of breath.

"I fought them, Landon... You must believe me... I never gave up..." she said, with gritted teeth. "When Boogeyman attacked me, I aimed to the center mass..." she gulped several times on the verge of tears. "It was horrible..."

Everything that had happened to her came flooding into her memory. And then, she started to cry her heart out.

It was heartbreaking to see her like that.

Landon hugged his sister carefully, as if he feared breaking her. He forced himself to push the anger he felt for those who had dared to hurt his little sister aside. He had to be strong for her.

"How are you feeling?"

"Sore, weak, and like I need a shower," Callie answered honestly.

"I'm not surprised you're sore," Landon said with a nod. "You took a heck of a beating. You have bruises everywhere, and your back wound is probably tender as well. I'm afraid only time and painkillers are going to help with that," he added apologetically.

"The weakness shouldn't last long. You've lost a lot of blood before a doctor could get you sewn up, but she gave you a couple of pints to replace it before switching you to saline in the IV. Hopefully, between that and the fact that you only sustained a flesh wound, you should quickly regain your strength and feel more yourself."

"We can't do anything about the shower. Doctors said you weren't to get your bandages wet. You can get a sponge bath, though," Grace chimed in. "I saw a cute male nurse around here. I could ask him if you want."

Grace winked at her sister-in-law, and Landon growled something that sounded like "no way."

"Mom?" Callie asked taking a quick look around.

"She is visiting our hometown and I thought it was better to keep her in the dark about what happened for now."

Grace nodded, and took a look at Landon's face. Knowing her brother as she knew him, she was sure there were a lot of unsaid things behind his words.

"How long do I have to stay here?"

"A couple of days. Then, I'm taking you to Middletown with me," Landon explained.

Callie nodded; her face pinched with shame.

"I feel ashamed of myself," she muttered, with a pained expression.

"There's nothing to be ashamed of, Callie. I'm incredibly proud of you," Landon reassured her, his voice firm. "You saved yourself and those other girls."

Memories flickered, dark and horrifying. Tears welled up in Callie's eyes, and she choked back a sob. Landon pulled her into a tight embrace, his strong arms a comforting presence.

"Oh, Landon! It was horrible! I thought I was going to die locked in that filthy cage!" she cried, unable to stop her tears from rolling down her cheeks.

"What about the others?" Callie finally managed to ask, wiping her cheeks. "Did they all get out okay?"

Landon hesitated, then sighed. "There were... losses. One woman was already gone when the police entered the house. Another one..." his voice trailed off. "...died during the first night."

"Jennifer and Monica," Callie whispered, a tremor in her voice.

If she were walking down the street and ran into any one of the women from the house of horrors, she wouldn't even recognize them. She only knew them as voices in the dark, but those voices had helped keep her sane.