Rebound Ch. 01-05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

“Hello, Willow.”

“Hi, Angel. I need a favor from you.“

”Of course, Willow. You know I’m always willing to help out.“

********

“Hey, Wills. When do you want me to pick up Fangless?”

“Oh. Uh. . .no need. . .Spike’s helping me with my. . .homework. Yep, a huge psychology test.”

“Psychology?”

“Abnormal psychology. You know those vampires, they’re as abnormal as they come. Especially Spike.”

“Okay. . .”” Xander wasn’t buying a word of it.“Well, maybe you’d like me to come over. I could help too.”

“NO!” She quickly recovered. “Actually, Angel is coming over. I know you guys don’t get along. You’d be uncomfortable.”

“Willow, what is going on? I know that you’ve taken this break-up with Oz really hard. I know you loved him. But, what the hell is going on?” Xander was starting to get worried. “Are you running a halfway house for defective vampires or something? If you need someone to talk to too, I’m here for you!”

Willow sighed, Xander was jealous. “No one can replace you, Xander. You’ve just been busy with Anya. Buffy’s busy with Riley. And Giles is having his own little crisis. It feels good to talk to Angel and Spike about my relationship.” Willow almost laughed, she was on a roll today. “Think about it. Angel lost Buffy and Spike lost Drusilla. We are all miserable right now. “

Xander understood immediately. He remembered how he felt after Cordelia had broken up with him. Being around people who were happy and in love had tortured him. “Alright, Wills. Let me know if there is anything you need.”

“Thanks, Xander.” Willow walked into her room to find Spike awake. His head was propped on his elbow and he lay on his side. “Sleep well?” she asked.

“Yes.” he ran his hand over the comforter. “It was very comfortable. Not like sleeping in a strange bed at all, pet. You might say, it was made for me.” Willow couldn’t help but smile at him and his innuendo. Spending time with him made it impossible to stew about Oz and why he left. It was a harmless infatuation. “Tell me something, luv. Why did you change your mind about me sitting on your bed earlier?”

“What are you talking about?”

“When you had me pretend to be Angel, pet. Afraid you couldn’t control yourself if I was laying on your bed?”

“Oh, well, I just didn’t think it would be a good. . .um. . .I mean. . .uh, your boots are muddy and you would have gotten my bed dirty.” She gave him a cheesy smile.

“Whatever you say, Red.” She needed to change the subject fast. “ I thought we might make this contest a little more interesting.”

“Oh? “ What’s going on in that devious little mind of hers?

“How about making a wager? Putting your money where your mouth is.”

“What do I win?”

“Well, I hadn’t thought that far ahead. I have some cash -”

“No, I don’t want your money. Offer me something else.”

“What do you want?” Goddess he’s handsome.

“Why don’t you let me pick a prize of my choice when I win.”

“If you win.”

“If I win, “ he said indulgently. “What do you want from me?”

She thought a moment. “Same as you. I’’ll select a prize later on.”

“Fine with me. Let’s talk about the terms. I love to gamble, pet, and I like high stakes.”

“Me too.” She said, recklessly.

“Fine. How about at least five dates and you gotta shag him. And I want proof.” He waited for her stammered refusal.

“W-w-what?! I can’t ‘shag’ him.” She whispered the word shag.

”Why not, luv?” Spike clapped his hands together, she was going to give in. This was delicious.

“Because, he’ll turn into Angelus if he’s too happy.”

“What are you saying, ducks?”

“Listen! That’s how he lost his soul. The gypsy curse states that if he knows complete happiness, even for a second, he will lose his soul. “

”So, Soulman shagged the slayer and caused that whole mess?” Spike’s mind was whirling. Then, he thought about the implications of the happiness stipulation. “Peaches can’t. . .” Spike wrapped his arms around his stomach as he laughed himself senseless. After his warped mirth subsided, Spike grinned at Willow. “No wonder he’s so bloody depressed. Hell, I’d probably read bloody poetry and brood if I couldn’t shag. Or stake myself.”

Willow choked on a giggle, the demon’s humor was infectious. Sorry, Angel! She took a deep breath and tried to sound impatient. “Can we get back to the subject now?”

“Five dates? You must kiss him. And no nookie, okay?” He teased and held out his hand to her. He knew he was going to win.

“You got yourself a deal.” She shook his hand. The wager was placed. She knew she would win.

*******

Spike pulled open the Rosenberg’s front door to greet Angel. A smile tugged at Spike’s mouth. “Well, if it isn’t Peaches.”

“Spike.” Angel’s tone was cold. Spike had recently traveled to L.A. in search of a magical gem that would make him invincible. Angel had been tortured by Spike and his partner in their quest to find the gem.

“My, aren’t we touchy today. What’s wrong? Feeling a little tense? Have some pent up frustration, Peaches?” Spike’s face was a mask of mock concern.

“No, I’m fine.” Angel gave the younger vampire a warning look. He hadn’t come here to exchange pleasantries with Spike. “Where’s Willow?”

“Right here! Come in, Angel.” Angel stepped in to see Willow standing behind Spike. She was dressed in skin tight leather pants and a satin top. Angel’s jaw nearly dropped. Something strange was going on here.

“Nice to see you, Willow.”

“Why don’t we go to the living room?” Willow suggested. He followed her and Spike down the hall. “Are you hungry, Angel? I have some blood in the-“

”I ate before I came over.” He sat down on the couch. Willow sat next to him and Spike sat in the big chair across from them. “What do you know about this demon?”

“What demon?” Spike said. Willow fixed him with a pleading look. “Oh, that demon. He’s a nasty bugger. He’s blue with. . .purple spots. Smells like cabbage.”

Willow winced. When she had spoken with Angel earlier, she had made up some excuse for why she needed Angel’s help. A rogue demon was the first thought that had entered her mind. “Yes. Giles can’t seem to find much information on him. He must be rare. So I thought I’d ask you for some help. . .on the side. . .I didn’t want to upset Buf-. I mean anyone.” Willow hoped they could find a demon around with that description if they needed to.

“Hmmm.” Angel said. He had never heard of such a demon. But that didn’t mean it didn’t exist. But what was Willow keeping from him? She was a terrible liar. It must have something to do with Buffy. Could it be that she was hurt? Angel felt a sinking sensation in his stomach. Maybe Buffy had given specific instructions not to involve him. Maybe she didn’t want him around anymore–at all. “I see . . .”

“Hmmm.” Spike rubbed his chin and put on a serious expression. “I see . . .” He rolled his eyes. “However did you guys put up with this on a daily basis—without getting paid?”

Willow glared at him. “Shush!” Then she kicked him in the shin for good measure, just as she would have kicked Xander. Spike’s eyes flashed. Willow swallowed, he would make her pay for that somehow. For a moment she had forgotten this was a vampire, not her clueless best friend.

Angel observed all of this with a bewildered amusement. Then something occurred to him. “Willow, what exactly is Spike doing at your house?”

“He-“ Willow began.

“Well, mate, I can explain that. First we were wrestling, then I was reading. And then, we ate lunch . . .uh, pet? What did we do after that?” He pretended to think for a moment. “Oh, yes. Then I helped her get dressed.”

“What?” Angel turned to look at Willow, his expression thunderous.

“He’s lying!”

“Now, ducks, can you honestly deny that we did all of those things? I even left the part out about being in your bed. Oh, and when you sat on my lap.” Spike gave her a wicked grin.

Angel stood up, gaping at both of them. “What is going on here?”

“He’s twisting everything around. We did all of those things, but not the way it sounds like we did them. . .I mean, I. . .” Willow trailed off.

“Willow, come with me.” Angel stalked off to the kitchen, expecting her to follow him.

Willow scowled at Spike. “Why did you do that?”

“I want to win.”

“That wasn’t fair!”

“I just told him my version of the truth. As for being fair, what did you expect? I’m evil, luv.” He smiled at her apparent outrage. “Wanna give in? We can stop this whole thing right now.”

“Never!”

“Then you had better go have your chat about the vampire birds and bees with the poof.” She started to walk off. “And pet?” She whirled around. “ At least I didn’t tell him about the kissing.” She blushed and ran after Angel.

*******

Angel had overheard most of the conversation due to his sensitive vampiric hearing. His arms were crossed and he frowned as Willow walked in the kitchen. “Kissing? You kissed him! Willow, how could you? He’s a vampire! A soulless, killer who-”

“I didn’t kiss him! He kissed me!”

Angel’s expression darkened. “He forced himself on you?” He pulled a stake out of his coat as he took a step forward.

“Woah! No, it was just a little kiss. He didn’t hurt me.” She threw herself into Angel’s path.

Angel stared at her. “You wanted Spike to kiss you?”

“Of course not! He’s a vampire, why would I want to kiss one?” Oh no! That’s not the way to win the bet. “Well, at least that particular vampire. I mean. . .Spike. . .uh. . .eww. If I wanted to kiss a vampire, it wouldn’t be him.”

“You want to kiss other vampires? What is the matter with you, Willow? You’ve no business running around kissing the undead. You could be hurt.”

Willow’s eyes lit with a new idea. “Oh, Angel.” She hung her head and tried to sound tearful. “Something must be very wrong with me. I need some help.” She looked up at him, her mouth trembling.

Angel was contrite, he never wanted to hurt Willow. But, she had to stop this ridiculous notion of dating a demon. “Of course, I’ll help you. “ He rubbed her back and gave her a brief hug. Willow’s stomach growled. “Why don’t I take you to get something to eat and we’ll talk this all out. You can tell me about the demon we need to catch, too.”

“Um. .okay, Angel.” Willow tried to sound hesitant, but she felt like dancing. Take that Spike!

*******

“Stay here, she says. Don’t touch anything, she says. Stay out of trouble, she says.” Spike muttered to himself, as he sat on the edge of Willow’s bed. “What am I, some bloody puppy? I most certainly am not!” He looked about for his coat. He slid it on, and straightened the collar. He glanced back at the night stand Hmm. Peaches will be plenty entertaining, but some reading material might be helpful. He grabbed her vampire ‘romance’ novel out of the bag and headed out the door.

*******

“Denny’s?!” Willow stared at her dark companion. “This is where we’re going?”

Angel looked offended. “It’s not like I ‘eat’ here, Willow.”

“You like the decor?” She giggled.

“No.” His brow furrowed. “It’s open all night, and not a lot of local teens come here, so we there’s little chance we’ll run into somebody we know, and the waitresses are nice –“

He was about to continue when Willow put a hand up to stop him. “It’s ok. You don’t have to explain yourself to me.”

He swallowed, his face sad and brooding once more. “Buffy liked their pancakes. We used to stop here after midnight patrols and pretend . . .” He paused a moment. “Pretend that we were a normal couple, just getting something to eat.”

“She never told me that.” Willow felt bad for them and for a moment her conscience told her to confess everything, her bet with Spike be damned. Then she pictured Spike’s face when he said he would have a prize of his choosing when he won. She put on her ‘resolved face’ and made up her mind to persevere.

Angel watched the play of emotions on her face, and misinterpreted every single one of them. He thought she was concerned about appearing normal with her own demon boyfriend, then deciding that nothing would stop her. He was certain he had his work cut out for him. “Willow, there’s a lot of problems with these kind of relationships. Much more than what Buffy let on about.” He looked at her with his most sincere face. “It’s not worth it, Willow.”

“But you and Buffy–“

”I lost my soul.”

She looked him square in the eye. “Exactly.”

“What?” Just then the waitress approached. Once they were seated at a cozy booth in the back of the non-smoking section, Angel stared at her. “What did you mean?”

“Can I take your order?” Angel growled in frustration. Their waitress jumped back. “I can come back . . .”

“No, wait!” Willow smiled sweetly at her. “Could I have a slice of peanut butter pie and a glass of chocolate milk?”

The waitress nodded enthusiastically, then turned to Angel. “And, uh, for you, sir?”

“Coffee. Black.” He gave her a curt nod.

Once she was gone, Willow glared at him. “That was rude.”

“Don’t avoid the subject, Willow.”

“Well,” she tucked her hair behind her ears and leaned forward on her elbows. “Why did you lose your soul?”

Angel cleared his throat. “Well, because we–“

”No. Not the action. What was the stipulation of the spell?” She knew it by heart, now.

“Because I had one moment of true happiness . . .”

“I know you’ve seen the worst of this world, Angel.” She said with compassion. “Looking at all the pain and loneliness, are you telling me that one moment of true happiness wasn’t worth being looked at a little strangely?”

For a moment, Angel was speechless. How could he deny that? It would be a betrayal of Buffy, of himself and of the redemption he fought for. He sincerely regretted the pain and death Angelus had inflicted, but he could never lament the time he had spent with Buffy. She had brightened his life in so many ways, he was a better man because of her. He reached across the table and took her hand in between his. “Are you telling me you’re in love with Spike?”

********

Spike stared through the window at the couple engaged in intimate conversation. When Angel took Willow’s hand, he growled low in his throat. The Poof looked very interested in the red head. That was just too bad, Willow was already taken. He had to hand it to the little witch though. He hadn’t thought she had it in her. He looked up at the neon sign of the little diner. “Denny’s?” This was Mr. Dark and Dramatic ‘s idea of a good restaurant?

Spike walked through the entrance and was assaulted by the twang of bad country western music. The garish light stung his eyes. Spike almost turned around and went back. He glanced back at Peaches and Red. They were still holding hands.

“Sir? Smoking or Non?” The Hostess leaned closer. “Sir?”

“Did you say smoking?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Right, then. Smoking . . .and in the back if you can manage, ducks.” He flashed a winning smile at her. “I’m not in the mood to be spotted, if you know what I mean.”

He followed her back to the booth, sat down, and promptly lit a cigarette. “Would you care for something to drink?” She asked.

“Gin.”

“I’m sorry, we don’t serve alcohol.”

“What a bloody crock!” He glanced at the glossy menu before him. “Hot chocolate?”

“Sure . . .” The waitress tried not to laugh.

“And, luv? Put lots of those tiny marshmallows in it, would you? Oh, and whipped cream on the top?”

*******

“ No, I’m not in love with Spike.” She said honestly. Though she did have romantic feelings towards him.

“Good.” Angel seemed relieved. “Are there any other vampires you feel that way about?”

“Uh. . .” She didn’t want to answer this question, ever mindful of the bet. “I have to use the bathroom.” Willow pulled her hand back from Angel’s clasp. Angel said nothing but his eyes promised her that she’d be answering it when she returned.

Angel sat sipping his coffee, pondering his failed relationship with Buffy.

“Peaches, are you still depressed?”

Angel glared up at the blonde. “No, I’m not depressed. Why all this concern for my emotional state? And what are you doing here? Willow told you to stay at her house.”

“She really didn’t mean it. As for my concern for you. . .well, you’re family. I have to take care of my grandsire.” He said with false sincerity. Angel snorted.

“I bet it must be difficult for you.” Spike just couldn’t resist needling him.

“What is that?”

“Not knowing the love of a woman -“

”Not knowing the. . .how did you find out about that?”

“I just overheard the Scoobys talking, Peaches. “ He lied easily. “ What? You think I read it in the Vampire Nightly Times?” Angel’s hands clenched into fists.

“Now, now. All that pent up frustration. You have to get rid of this energy somehow. Take up running or something. Or maybe you should look for a cure. Why don’t you consult the Watcher’s books? I bet you could find some kind of vampire Viagra spell that would help you out.”

Angel was embarrassed. “I can. I don’t have any trouble in that department. . .” He fixed Spike with a glare. “I am not discussing this with you.”

Spike chuckled. He looked up and spotted Willow making her way to the table. He surreptitiously put Willow’s romance novel on the seat and quickly got up. “See you around, mate.”

Willow came over to the table. “Was that Spike?”

“Yes.” Angel was visibly upset.

“What’s wrong? What did he say to you?”

“Never mind. Now, let’s discuss your feelings for other vampires.”

“Please, Angel, do we have to talk about this?”

He looked at her, she was obviously tired. “We’ll talk later. Finish your pie.” They sat in companionable silence while Willow finished her food. Willow relaxed as she leaned back in the booth. Her hand brushed something, she picked up the book.

“What’s that?” Angel asked.

Willow immediately recognized it. Spike must have brought it. “Nothing. Just a novel, I’ve been reading.”

“Oh, let me see.” Angel loved books.

“NO!”

“Why?” Angel didn’t understand her vehemence. He reached across the table and plucked it from her clasped hands. “Hmmm. Dark Embrace? I’ve never seen a book like this. Willow this is a-“

”I know what it is.” Willow’s face and neck was crimson.

Angel was appalled. He handed her the book and made no comment. This idea of hers was more serious than he had first thought. Suddenly it occurred to him that they had not discussed the rogue demon she had brought him down here to help with. He had a sneaking suspicion that there was no smelly demon.

But why would Willow invent an excuse to bring him here? Because she now had a thing for vampires? A thought struck him. Maybe she didn’t have a thing for vampires. Maybe she had a thing for this vampire. Did Willow have a crush on him?

He had to speak with one of her friends, find out how long this had been going on. Buffy? Absolutely not. Seeing her would be too painful. Giles? He wasn’t privy to Willow’s thoughts on men. Xander? Angel grimaced, he was the most likely choice. “I’ll take you home, Willow.”

***********

Spike found Willow laying on her bed. Her arms were crossed and she leaned against the headboard. The romance novel lay on her lap. She scowled at him. “How could you do that to me?”

“Now, luv, I warned you. I play to win.”

“You want to play the game this way? Fine, no more Miss Nice Girl. I’ll beat you if it is the last thing I do.” She flung the book at him and hit him in the chest.

“I hope you’ll try to win.” He smirked as he sat down on her bed. “I’ve been thinking about what I want for my prize. Wanna know what it is?”

“No! Because you won’t be winning anyway.” She said through gritted teeth.

“Aren’t you the teeniest bit curious?” He scooted closer to her. She rolled over and turned her back to him. He grinned and stretched out behind her, on his side mimicking her position. “Come on, luv. Don’t you want to know what’s at stake?”