Reciprocal Factoring

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Mom could suffer another stroke at any moment," Annie thought, afraid to say this out loud.

And, looking at her graying father, looking more and more hunched over by the day, Annie didn't know how much longer he would be with her, with William. She patted her father on the shoulder as she took William from his high chair.

"It's not even about butt head. It's about what's best for my son. He might be your grandson, but he is my son," Annie said, turning to leave the kitchen.

"When the hell did you all of a sudden grow up?" Henry barked.

"I don't know, Daddy," Annie said seriously. "From praying so much, I guess."

'It is right thing to do' Faye texted.

Pulling up in front of the Priestly home, Annie saw Michael's little car already in the driveway. She felt a little smile play on her lips as she parked alongside the car.

She didn't even have William out of his car seat and Miss Shirley barreled out the front door, sobbing happily, arms outstretched for the baby. John, Matthew and Michael followed the woman, their own tears falling.

"Oh my goodness, oh, baby boy, oh you are so big!" Shirley babbled, frightening the child.

"Calm down, woman, you're scaring the boy," John choked out and wrapped Annie in a powerful hug. "Hello Sweetheart. Oh, it is so good to see you."

"Hey, I uh, hi, how, how you been?" Matt, Michael's older brother smiled through his tears.

"Been okay," Annie said, wiping at her freely falling tears.

"Mees Annie, how you?" Rosa, the Priestly housekeeper smiled when the group finally made it into the house.

"Mees, Miss Rosa, hi," Annie smiled and hugged the portly woman.

"I make you favorite," the woman smiled happily.

"Thank you," Annie smiled and walked to the living room where Shirley and John, Michael and Matt were crowded around the befuddled William.

It was a mild bedlam; everyone tried to talk at the same time. Shirley would not relinquish William so John had to contend himself with rubbing the boy's back as William perched on his grandmother's lap.

"I, out at Thompson's Mall?" Annie said, pulling the large binder from William's diaper bag. "There's that 'Image Perfect' studio?"

Shirley and John had fresh tears as they looked at the photographs of William at one month old, at three months old, at six months old. But, as they looked at the photographs, Michael and Matt had the opportunity to hold William and talk with the boy.

"I, I want copies of these," Shirley insisted.

"Miss Shirley, that, those are yours," Annie said.

"Oh! Oh, oh my goodness! Oh, oh Sweetheart," Shirley broke down in fresh sobs.

"That, these, oh wow," John choked out, looking at the photographs again. "I, well, he is a handsome devil, that's for sure."

"Uh? Because he's..."Michael started to say, then lost the smug expression on his face.

Annie felt a lurch in her guts as Michael's meaning sank into her consciousness. She reached out her small hand and touched his arm. He looked at her, his eyes again filling with tears.

"He is," Annie reassured Michael. "He is yours."

"Deener, it ready," Rosa announced.

"Miss Rosa, could I have a small bowl?" Annie asked. "I brought some apple sauce for William and..."

Shirley immediately volunteered to feed her grandson. Annie graciously allowed Shirley the pleasure of feeding the child.

"Oh, Miss Rosa, this is, oh, this is so good," Annie praised as she tasted the simple meal.

"And here comes the choo-choo train," Shirley cooed to William as she held up the spoon of apple sauce.

"Yes, she is cuckoo," John loudly whispered to the unsure William. "But you'll get used to it."

""Thank you, Mees Annie," Rosa beamed under the girl's praise.

William was sleeping in Annie's arms by the time he and his mother left the Priestly home. Annie nodded her head in satisfaction as she carefully backed out of their drive. Denying William's grandparents the opportunity to know their grandchild was not right. Coming here tonight had been the right and Christian thing to do.

"Well?" Henry demanded when a tired but happy Annie entered the home.

"It, Daddy, it was the right thing to do," Annie said. "His grandparents were, oh, God, I can't even begin to tell you."

"Was that little bastard there?" Henry snarled.

"Yes. And William's Nana and Gramps were there," Annie brushed past Henry's question. "And his Nana and Gramps were just, Daddy, they love their grandson."

"But they're..." Henry said bitterly.

"Daddy, not once, not once did Miss Shirley or Mr. John ever make one excuse for what Michael and Mattie did," Annie reminded him. "They were almost as mad as we were."

The next day Miss Shirley called and invited Annie and William to the Priestly home for Christmas Eve. Rosa had the day off, but Shirley had already ordered a Turkey dinner from Mother's Finest restaurant. Henry just nodded his head in agreement when Annie asked him to baby sit William while she ran to do some last minute Christmas shopping.

Notre Dame Bookstore sold Catholic merchandise. A heavy leather volume of prayers, with gold leaf was a good gift for Mr. John. Uncle Matt would be sure to treasure the crystal and silver rosary from his nephew. Miss Shirley had a genuine need of a crucifix in her Spartan dining room. On a whim, Annie bought Michael a heavy gold chain and crucifix; it would look good against his muscled chest.

Annie also bought William's father a lightweight Dallas Cowboys jacket. Truthfully, she didn't know much about football, but did remember Michael and Matt and Mr. John crowding around the large television in the large, comfortable den, screaming and carrying on while the Dallas Cowboys played. They even screamed and carried on during pre-season games; even she understood that pre-season games didn't count for anything.

Miss Shirley had gone overboard with presents for the eight, almost nine month old baby. She had also bought quite a few gifts for Annie. Michael was embarrassed; he only had a few presents for his son, and had bought a simple rosary for his ex-wife.

"Thank you, Michael," Annie said sincerely and softly kissed him on his lips. "It, it's perfect."

Annie smiled softly as Michael turned away from her; he wasn't fast enough. She's seen the sudden moisture in his eyes when she'd kissed him.

"Want to go to Midnight Mass?" Annie asked quietly as they loaded the numerous gifts into Annie's mother's car.

"I uh, yeah!" Michael quickly agreed, zipping up his new jacket.

Henry said nothing, but solemnly nodded his agreement to watch William while Annie went to church with Michael Priestly. He smirked as it took Annie four trip to unload the car from all the gifts she and William had received from the Priestlys.

Michael did not look as out of place this time as he and Annie sat together during the celebration. Afterward, he happily held Annie's hand as they made their way out of the church. He and Annie wished other celebrants a very Merry Christmas as they slowly walked toward the heavy doors.

"Merry Christmas, Michael," Annie said softly as they reached her car.

"I uh, yeah, Merry Christmas," Michael said. "I, I love you."

"Michael," Annie said, a hint of reproach in her voice.

"What," Michael said. "I, I'm not allowed to say that?"

Annie didn't answer; hitting the key fob for the door locks. She jerked open the car door and got into the car. She did not look at Michael as she started the car.

"No. No, Michael, you, you're not allowed to say that," Annie spat angrily. "You, you're just not, all right? You're just not!"

Christmas morning, William was given several more gifts. The child had no concept of any of this; he did enjoy beating on the boxes though.

Faye tried to smile, tried to enjoy her grandson's first Christmas. But truthfully, she felt very ill at ease. She felt an incredible weariness over her entire body.

"Momma?" Annie asked. "You okay?"

Faye tried to smile, tried to assure Annie that she was fine. She fumbled to tap out that message on her cell phone.

"Daddy, call the ambulance," Annie ordered, gripping her mother's hand.

The memorial service was a somber affair. Most well-wishers assured Annie and Henry that Faye was in a better place. John and Shirley Priestly did quietly offer Henry their sincere condolences, which Henry graciously accepted.

When Michael attempted to convey his condolences, Henry spat out, "Fuck you, you little bastard."

"Thank you, Michael," Annie said, softly placing her hand on Michael's arm. "Thank you for coming."

"I uh, yeah, I mean, Miss Faye's always been real nice to me," Michael said, still smarting from Henry's rejection of his sincere sympathies.

"But, Michael, please, please don't come to the funeral," Annie quietly ordered. "Please. Just, please."

Michael quietly nodded his head in understanding. Taking his rosary from his pocket, he sat and silently prayed for the soul of his former mother in law. Then, with a handshake for his father and a kiss on the cheek for his mother, Michael Priestly left St. Richard's.

That night, Annie sent one final text to her mother's cell phone.

'I love you' Annie sent, then lay down on her bed and cried herself to sleep.

The second Sunday in January, Annie entered the cry room of St. Richard's. She smiled in greeting to Bailey Breaux, Jason Breaux's wife. Then she looked over in surprise at Michael Priestly.

"I uh, hi, how's it going?" Michael smiled uncertainly.

"Hi," Annie agreed, and sat next to him.

She handed their son to Michael and knelt to pray. By now, William at least knew who Michael was and did not get agitated when he was handed to the man.

After Mass, Annie again declined Michael's offer of brunch at Mother's Finest restaurant. She guided him to the benches in the small park next to St. Richard's Cathedral. Someone had taken very thick logs and split them in half, lengthwise down the middle. One half formed the seat and the other half formed the backrest. Annie always marveled at the simplicity of the design and the workmanship it must have taken to take a thick log, split it, then sand both base and backrest so smooth.

Running her hand over the polished seat, Annie then sat down. She placed William to her right; Michael had no room to her left so he sat to William's right.

"I uh, that, that uh DNA test, you get it back?" Michael slowly asked.

"Hmm? Oh, no, no," Annie said, hesitating.

"I, how long they take?" Michael asked, staring at his feet, the trees to his right, the small swing set and merry-go-round.

"Let me ask you something," Annie said, taking a gulp of air. "When, when you found out I'd been unfaithful, how, how did you feel? How did it make you feel?"

"I, like you got to be kidding me," Michael spat out angrily. "I mean, really? I, you? You wouldn't even let me, I mean, we had to wait until we got married, and then this Jack guy just comes along and, and who, who in the fuck is this Jack guy anyway?"

Annie didn't chide Michael for his language; William was busily gnawing on a plastic Piglet figurine. She studied Michael's face as he fought to control his anger.

"Hurt, didn't it?" Annie quietly asked.

"God damn right it hurt," Michael agreed and tears sprang to his eyes.

"When I saw those pictures of you and that Paige girl," Annie said quietly, bending to pick up the Piglet figurine that William had thrown to the ground. "I, my heart, I honestly thought it was going to stop beating. Michael, I was devastated."

"I uh, I, Annie, I just," Michael stammered, again staring at his feet, the trees, the playground equipment.

"Don't. I don't want to hear the excuses," Annie ordered, voice hard.

"Well, what about you and this Jack guy?" Michael retorted. "Huh? What about that, huh?"

"Michael, do you, do you really believe for one minute I would ever?" Annie asked.

"I, shit, I don't know," Michael yelled, frustrated.

"Michael, the only Jack I know is Jack Daniels," Annie said. "Oh, oh, and that Jack Prescott guy, the quarterback."

"You know him?" Michael stupidly asked.

"I know of him," Annie smiled, shaking her head at Michael's foolish question.

She reached out and placed her hand on Michael's shoulder. Michael looked at her, studying her freckled face.

"There is no D.N.A. test, Michael," Annie said. "There, I've only been with one man. My husband.

Michael put his head in his hands and sobbed. Annie leaned over their son and rubbed Michael's back while he sobbed. She then dug into her purse and pulled out a folded handkerchief. Michael did not notice the initials 'M.P.' in the corner as he used the scrap to wipe his eyes.

"I uh, I'll get this back to you," Michael promised after blowing his nose.

"Why? It's yours," Annie said. "I'd ordered a box of them; you never had one whenever you needed one. So, I ordered a box, see, it's got your initials and it was going be our first Christmas together and...God damn you, Michael! God damn you, how could you do that to me? How?"

"I..." Michael started to say.

"I don't want to hear it," Annie screamed, jumping to her feet.

"I..." Michael started again, standing up.

"I said I..." Annie screamed and punched Michael as hard as she could.

Her small fist connected with his chest, right above his heart. Her second punch struck him in the right section of his chest. Annie flailed her fists, raining ineffectual blow after blow on Michael.

Worn out, Annie collapsed against him, sobbing broken-heartedly. Michael's own tears flowed as he hugged his ex-wife tightly.

"I hate you," Annie sobbed out. "I, oh Michael, I loved you so much, I loved you with all my heart, all my...how could you do that to me? How?"

With one last punch, Annie pushed Michael away. She then scooped William into her arms. Slinging the diaper bag over her shoulder, Annie marched away with determination.

Starting her car, Annie looked at Michael. He was again sitting on the bench, staring morosely at the ground. Checking carefully around her, others were beginning to arrive for the 11:00 Mass, Annie backed out of the parking space.

"I, Annie, I, I just can't," Henry said when Annie marched into the house, carrying a fussy William.

"What? What are you talking about?" Annie asked, putting William into his playpen.

"You know Bayr's been after me, wanting me sell," Henry said. "And I'm sitting here, just, just dreading the idea of going into work one more day."

"And then what?" Annie asked, looking at her father.

Caring for his wife had taken its toll. The death of his wife had really devastated the man. Other than to eat, sleep, or go to work, Henry rarely moved from his well-worn recliner.

"I, 'bout a year before you were born, I, I went deep-sea fishing off the coast of Florida," Henry mumbled. "Told myself I was going go back someday. Well, now's as good a time as any."

"Uh, cute girls in itty bitty bikinis wouldn't have anything do with that, huh?" Annie teased, pulling a microwave meal out of the freezer.

"Might," Henry agreed, smiling softly. "But I, what about you? And William?"

"Guess it's time I maybe thought about getting my own place, getting a job," Annie said seriously, looking around at the house.

"You, right now, you don't need worry about that," Henry said, bending and taking the fussy William out of his play pen. "Just, just concentrate on taking care of this big boy. Who's Paw-paw's big boy, huh? Who's Paw-paw's big boy?"

On Tuesday, Annie took William to Image Perfect; he was nine months old. The quite effeminate man squealed in delight when Annie doubled her order; every picture over the standard selection was pure profit.

On Sunday, Jason and Joan and J.J. greeted Annie and William as they entered the cry room. Annie smiled when Jason informed her that Bailey was, once again, mad at him.

"I'm sure you deserve it," Annie said, taking her seat.

"Now, how can you say that?" Jason asked with a laugh. "You don't even know what she's mad about."

"Doesn't matter," Annie smiled, then looked toward the door when Michael entered the room.

"Hey, I uh, after y'all left, uh, saw William had dropped this," Michael said, pulling the Piglet figurine from his jacket pocket.

"Oh! I wondered where this went," Annie said, accepting the figurine from Michael.

"I, uh, Mom and Dad are here," Michael said, pointing to where John and Shirley Priestly sat. "And uh, after? We're all going over to Mother's Finest, you know, for their brunch."

"Look, William, look! It's Piglet," Annie cooed to William.

"They wanted, I'd really like it if you'd come with us," Michael said.

"Okay," Annie agreed.

If Miss Shirley and Mr. John would be there, she wouldn't have to face Michael alone, alone in the warm, comfortable atmosphere of the family restaurant. And there would be another set of hands to help her care for William.

Annie pulled her cell phone out and sent a text to her father, letting him know where she would be after church.

'OK. Henry responded.

Annie smiled; her father had learned how to send emoji's. He sent her a red heart along with his 'OK.'

When the deacon bade that they offer the sign of peace to one another, Annie turned and kissed Michael's cheek. She then punched him in his chest.

"Peace be with you," she said. "But I still hate you."

"Peace be with you too," Michael said and kissed her on her cheek. "And not as much as I hate myself."

"You underestimate just how much I hate you," she said and kissed him on his lips.

Ronnie Bayr of Bayr Lumber and Henry did manage to come to an agreement on the sale of seventy percent of Henry's company. Annie found out, as her mother's beneficiary, she owned the remaining thirty percent. This thirty percent ownership earned Annette Elizabeth Flynn a seat on the board of directors. Ronnie magnanimously gave Annie a seat on the board of directors for Bayr Lumber as well.

Studying the mission statements and by-laws for both companies, Annie found out she had a head for the wordy text. She also had a head for the numbers as she studied the balance sheets Ronnie Bayr had sent to her.

On Henry's first day of retirement, he made Annie laugh uproariously when he came down to breakfast, dressed in knee length khaki shorts and garish Hawaiian shirt and black socks and sandals. He grinned happily as he showed Annie he knew how to search the Internet on his phone.

"And right here, out of Bender? Florida? Captain Brent's Shark Hunting," Henry said.

"Show them your socks; they'll be attacking for sure," Annie teased.

"Hate to leave all of this to you," Henry admitted as he lugged the suitcase to her car.

"Daddy, it's okay," Annie assured him. "Ms. White's helping me with the sale. We'll be fine."

"Thank you," Henry said sincerely. "It's just, God, I, I still can't go into that room."

"I know," Annie said. "Pretty hard for me too. But Saint Joseph's Charities is sending out a crew. I've already boxed up all her pictures and stuff."

Try not to get eaten by any sharks," Annie said as she pulled up to Judge Roberts Airport.

"Right back at you," Henry said. "And if I find a place?"

"Send me the address and I'll ship that ugly recliner," Annie said, hugging him tightly. "Be careful."

"You too," Henry said. "Be careful."

Packing the house was a Herculean task, but Annie surprised herself as she methodically undertook the duties. In less than a week, she'd managed to have everything ready for either storage or donation.

"Wish furniture could talk," a toothless man from St. Joseph's Charity chortled happily as he hefted a box.

"What do you mean?" Annie asked, smiling at the genuine smile on the old man's weathered face.

"That recliner? I bet there's some stories in that recliner," Buzzy said.

Annie stared at her father's ugly old recliner. A smile mixed with some tears as she thought of the nights her father sat in that recliner, holding his infant daughter, marveling at her delicate features. When she'd been sick, her father sat in that recliner, holding her and singing, quite off-key to her. He had sat in that chair, fretting over this business deal or letting go of that employee that had been stealing from the company. When Annie had disclosed her pregnancy, her father had sat in that chair and sobbed tears of joy. When Faye had been stricken with her stroke, her father had sat in that recliner agonizing over how to care for his beloved wife.