Recognition, Wind

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I thought that's strange because the nearest engineering firm that does what his company does is over 100 miles away.

He looked at me and said. "I gather you've done work for us in the past. I've had a very quick chat with my technical manager, and he has no complaints about your work. I'm not sure yet but please keep in mind I may want you to come and work for us. Now you two head off home and have a good night. By the way, I've told George my chauffeur to take you home. I don't think either of you is safe to drive right now. George will be at your house at 1:00 tomorrow to pick one of you up to come back and fetch your car." I had a feeling he thought of most things. Or Ms Purple shimmer dress did.

We said nothing on the way out to the car or on the way home. I got us both a drink when we got in. We sat on the settee in our own thoughts, both in a bit of shock. Christine stroked my hand and nodded towards the stairs. I stood and led her upstairs. We didn't say much as we went to the bedroom. We undressed and got into bed. She slid across and cuddled me, looking me in the eyes she said. "Sweetheart, I'm sorry for the last couple of years. I could manage everybody else, but I couldn't manage myself. I should have asked you for help, you always help me when I need it and sometimes even when I don't know I need it.

"Nothing happened between me and Ralph. But it wasn't till he asked me to say that for him it struck me how little I appreciated you and your help. I was planning to sing that song and a little speech halfway through the evening. To let everyone know what you have done for me and by extension them. They should thank you as well." She paused. "Because you are my hero, you are the one that supports, loves and looks after me and the children. You are the wind beneath our wings." Tears were trickling down her cheeks. "You should have heard me when I practised, I wasn't as good as Roger Whittaker or Lucy Thomas. I think I belted out the 4th verse too much. The band didn't seem to mind. You are our hero and I cannot thank you enough." With that she leaned across and kissed me and rested her head on my shoulder. We didn't make love that night. All the emotion had drained us. We made up for it the next day whilst the children were at school.

The following Sunday we were invited to lunch at Mr Phelps's house, children included. There were a couple of other senior managers there with their wives and children. No Ralph. It was all quite laid back. Nobody came and hugged me like a long-lost friend, I got a nod of the head and a smile from all the big cheeses, it was all the recognition I needed, just the acknowledgement that I was there. I didn't have to look after the children, they had a professional nanny.

"Ryan, may I borrow your wife for a little while, please trust me I won't be long. I like to drink Guinness, not wear it." He had a little chuckle, was this going to be a standing joke?

He led Christine into the corner, I could see him talking to her, she glanced at me a couple of times. She didn't say much. I was desperately trying to read her lips and when he'd finished talking, I think she said. "Yes, I think he will." She nodded her head, glanced at me and smiled.

Mr Phelps was smiling as they headed back towards us. He took both of us into a quiet corner. He looked at me and said, "Sorry about that Ryan but I needed a bit of confirmation. I didn't want to put you on the spot. I'll come right out with it. The company has two small light aircraft. DA 42s. It saves time on trains and a whole bunch of other time wasting antics. My aircraft manager is going to retire in about a year. His job is yours if you want it, that gives us a year for you to get licences for the aircraft and you could be my fleet manager. The pay is not brilliant but there are benefits."

"Before you make a decision, pop down to the airfield and have a word with Jeff who looks after the aircraft at the moment. Let me know what you think. I've had a word with your old company, they seem to think you'd like it and be good at it."

He looked at Christine. "Was that all right?" She just smiled at him.

Mr Phelps went and fetched a couple of drinks, and we went and sat in a quiet corner. He explained that at their other sites, they generally have enough space to land a small aeroplane or were close to an airfield. The company had two Diamond DA42 Twin Star aircraft. What I didn't realise was Mr Phelps flew himself and they had a pilot they could hire for those other members of staff who didn't fly. If they weren't in use the aircraft were hired out.

It didn't take much thinking about, but I did wait until I had a word with Jeff. These were modern aircraft, reliable, they wouldn't need much. Jeff dropped me a suggestion which I thought about and had a talk with Christine, she seemed to think it was a good idea as well.

Friday afternoon I decided to call on Mr Phelps at work with my decision. Christine was at work, she came in with me to see him. I put a sort of glum look on my face as if I was going to refuse. I don't think I fooled Mr Phelps for a second.

"I've had a chat with Jeff, I quite like the job, but Jeff gave me a suggestion which we think is a good one." I indicated Christine. "Whilst I'm getting my maintenance licences why don't I get the pilot's licence that will save you hiring a pilot."

Mr Phelps smiled. "Well if you're going to be a company pilot you'd better start calling me Roger."

I know some of you folk out there like to make up your own ideas, that's fine, but this is as exactly written, just like in 'Recognition', Christine never did cheat on Ryan, with Ralph or anyone else.

Yes, I know it was a bit lazy not writing a whole new story and piggy backing on 'Recognition.' but I actually wrote this one first.

It is a thing of mine that spouses often do not get the recognition that they deserve. I am ex-forces, and I could not have done half of what I did without the support of my current wife. The first one not so much. You may see this trend in my other stories. And it is world wide, not just on our small island.