Red

Story Info
A woman finds herself dominated by a mysterious stranger.
10.3k words
4.37
12.1k
13
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 1: The Meeting

The woman sat beneath her tree, engrossed in her novel, unaware that she was being watched. That was for the best, however, for she would not know what to do with the information even if she had it. It wasn't like there was another tree in this park that would suit her like this one did, she had grown rather fond of it. An old elm, it had stood strong and proud in the park for many decades. Its stout trunk had grown in such a way that climbing the tree wasn't an option for the vertically challenged, so during the day the children were quite content playing in the other areas of the park where there were things designed for them to clamber over. This left the tree available for Ariel quite often. Every now and then she'd find it occupied by young couples with a blanket and a picnic basket, but she couldn't be upset about that. She did go there to read romance novels after all, how could she be upset by young love directly in front of her?

Today, though, she had no competition. She was settled at the base of the tree, snuggled between the perfect spot between the roots that practically formed a seat, which was one of the reasons this was the only tree for her. The park was less crowded today in general. Most likely because the weather was just now turning and the air was brisk. Ariel didn't mind, though, she rather enjoyed the sharpness. It kept her alert and focused and she appreciated the opportunity to bundle up warmly in her jacket with the beanie and scarf that she had knit herself. She also loved how the occasional breeze swept by and knocked a few leaves loose that would flutter down to the ground, sometimes even falling onto her book. It made her giggle every time and she looked up at the tree with a fondness that still surprised her. How could one be fond of a tree? She always shook the thought off with a shrug because it didn't really matter all that much, but it was curious. Her mind was like that though, sometimes being attracted by things she didn't understand at all and she had grown used to it. No point in fighting it if there was no harm in it, right?

Every now and then she would have visitors, people who came over to the tree pretending to be interested in all of its majesty. Only pretending though, because they all inevitably showed their true colors by trying to strike up a conversation with her. She didn't understand it, she was alone sitting under a tree reading a book. What part of that image encouraged people to come speak to her? To hit on her, no less! She was reading for god's sake! She would never come up to someone and stand over them, staring down with that horribly awkward, hesitant look on her face that all these people seemed to have in common, and ask some inane question like "what are you reading?" If they couldn't read the book title as they walked up or see it at the top of the page then clearly they weren't at all interested in the book and therefore it was rude to even pretend to care.

She huffed at the thought of it and tried to push it from her mind, focusing back on her reading. The protagonist was facing quite the temptation right now and Ariel very much wanted to know what choice she would make. It only took a few seconds for her to become entirely engrossed within the story again. So engrossed that she did not register the approach of a new person. They came and stood next to her, leaning against the tree and watching her without her realizing. She continued reading, flipping through page after page and the stranger still said nothing to break her immersion. For a moment in the story, it seemed that the girl was going to make a terrible decision, but at the last minute she changed her mind and took the better path, allowing Ariel to let out a sigh of relief and lean back against the tree trunk for a moment.

That's when she saw the stranger. They were tall, with dark, straight hair that fell down to their waist and dark eyes that were unnervingly fixed on Ariel. They were wearing what looked like casual business attire, a loose, white blouse that was open at the neck but didn't go too low, with black slacks and a long black coat that was open. They had their hands tucked into the coat pockets and there was no scarf covering their neck, which was quite slender and lovely, nor any hat covering their head, yet there was no sign that they felt any of the cold around them, not even the slightest reddening of the tip of their nose.

Ariel realized that she was staring for some time. Which also meant that the stranger was staring for just as long. This was different from the normal people who approached her and she wasn't quite sure how to handle the situation.

"Um, hello," she finally settled on, then immediately berated herself internally for not coming up with anything better.

The stranger smiled. "Red seems to have avoided a bit of trouble there, didn't she?"

Ariel stared up at them, struck dumb for a moment, not comprehending in the slightest. Part of the reason was because their voice was simply stunning. It was soft and deep, distinctly comforting like a being wrapped in a warm blanket of words. Then she made the connection and glanced down at the book with a nervous laugh before looking back up at them. It was an alternate telling of little red riding hood, Red being the main character.

"She did! I was nervous for a bit that she wouldn't make the connection between her last visit to her grandma's house and the sounds around her own house, but she did! Which was nice, I hate it when characters are stupid and don't make the obvious connections just to progress the plot. I don't know, it just feels...cheap."

Ariel faltered, unsure how this stranger got her to blabber on like that. She was normally quite reticent around people she didn't know.

"I'm sorry," she said. "Who are you?"

The question came out sounding much harsher than she intended and she winced. Luckily, the stranger didn't seem phased at all.

"My name's Rowan," they said, a pleasant lilt to their voice when they pronounced their name. "And yours?"

"Ariel," she said, then immediately blushed as she anticipated their immediate question and nodded as they opened their mouth to ask. "Yes, my parents were obsessed with the Little Mermaid."

Rowan smiled again. They had a small, yet very expressive way of smiling and Ariel was finding herself quite enchanted by it.

"I take it that's not an obsession you share," they said.

Ariel laughed, almost able to keep the bitterness out of it. "Well when you grow up with red hair and a name like Ariel, people suddenly lose all creativity when talking to you."

Rowan nodded, sympathetic. "I can see how that would become tiresome."

"Thank you! You get it."

Ariel's mind went blank and Rowan didn't say anything either, so the conversation lapsed. They didn't look away, though, so Ariel couldn't either, which left her staring up at them in a way that was straining her neck. Yet she found she didn't want to look away. There was something about Rowan's gaze, the way that they were looking at her, that intrigued her. She saw curiosity in their eyes, mixed with something else that she couldn't put her finger on.

After a bit, it registered in her brain that she was staring up at this person, who was still basically a stranger, and saying nothing for who knows how long now. It also, finally, registered that Rowan had asked a rather particular question about her book.

She lifted the book slightly. "Have you read this before?"

Rowan shook their head. "I haven't."

"Oh...well then how-"

"I was reading over your shoulder," they said, anticipating her question.

"Oh." Ariel was quiet for a second. "How long were you standing there before I noticed?"

"I'd say for about 15 pages," they said, amusement clear in their voice.

Ariel blushed and could not maintain eye contact. "Oh wow, okay, I'm sorry I didn't mean to ignore you I just got a little caught up in the book I guess."

"That's okay," they said, their voice soft and reassuring. "You don't know me, why would you owe me anything?"

Ariel nodded. That made sense. So why did she still feel guilty about it? Yes, she didn't owe them anything, yet it felt like she did. Their presence demanded attention and she found herself liking it when they gave her theirs.

"Um," she started before having a full sentence in mind. "Do you want to sit with me?"

They nodded, "I'd like that."

Rowan slid down into a sitting position with much more fluidity than Ariel expected from someone their size. They stretched out their long legs, revealing black, heeled boots that disappeared up into their pants, and leaned back against the tree.

"This is a nice spot you've got here," they said.

"It is," Ariel said with a smile. "I've been reading under this tree for years now."

"Do you always find yourself plagued by strangers interrupting your reading?"

She blushed again and shook her head. "You're not interrupting!"

"I didn't mean me."

Ariel glanced over at them, not comprehending for a moment before it sank in. "Oh...oh! Um, you've been here in the park for a bit too then, huh?"

Rowan nodded, looking out from under the trees boughs to the group of children that were playing over by the small pond at the center of the park. They didn't say anything, and Ariel found herself more comfortable in this silence than she would be with most people.

"Do you find it disconcerting?" they asked. "That I was watching you?"

"No." The word was out of her mouth before she even thought about it, which surprised yet, but on evaluation she realized it was true. Which was weird. Why did a stranger watching her for over an hour, at least, not make her feel weird?

"I don't know," she said, feeling the need to justify her answer. "You seem nice."

Rowan looked over at her with another of their small, soft smiles. "You seem nice too."

Ariel blushed and looked down. "Thank you," she said, barely managing to whisper it.

They sat together for a while longer in companionable silence. Ariel's brain was moving so fast that it wasn't thinking any intelligible thoughts and rather just blurring into nothingness that was somehow calming. Her book was still open in front of her but she didn't so much as look at it. She stared out at that group of children, her eyes on them while every other part of her was tuned into Rowan's presence next to her. There was something electrifying about them, something that both put every part of her body on high alert and soothed her at the same time, which she hadn't realized was possible for someone to do before now.

She didn't know how much time had passed when they moved, pulling their hand out of their pocket and extending it to her, palm up.

"Give me your phone," they said.

Ariel complied without thought or question and handed her phone over. They tapped the screen to open it and then smiled and handed it back.

"Unlock it please."

Ariel blushed furiously as she took it, unlocked it, and then passed it back. Rowan found what they were looking for immediately, typed something in, then handed it back once again.

They got to their feet and looked down at her. "It was nice to meet you, Ariel. I hope you enjoy the rest of the book, you'll have to tell me how it ends."

Ariel tried to think of a response, but couldn't think of anything and ended up opening and closing her mouth several times like a suffocating fish.

Rowan giggled and waved, then walked away.

Ariel waved back, but they were already gone. She watched them walk until they disappeared from her line of sight. She sucked in a deep breath, the cold air stabbing at her lungs, shocking her mind into functioning again. This reminded her of her phone, and she looked down to find that they had put their number into her contacts. Just Rowan, no last name. She looked back up to where they had disappeared from her view and sighed. Her heart was beating like crazy and she still didn't really know what had happened, but she did know that she would see them again. She had to.

Chapter 2: The Date

Ariel finished the book later that day. It took her the rest of the week before she worked up the nerve to text Rowan. She tried, she really did. She lost count of how many texts she composed and then deleted immediately because they weren't right. Everything from a simple "hi" to "I love you" and none of them were right. Obviously "I love you" wasn't right, she typed that one to get it out of her system. Of course she didn't love Rowan, she barely knew them. Unfortunately, Ariel bore the curse of being very very gay, so by the time the week was coming to an end she had already planned out at least four different futures with them while still having sent zero texts.

Now it was Friday night, she was done with work and lying in bed, staring at Rowan's contact. She opened a new message, then closed it, then opened it again and stared at the empty space for a full minute before beginning to type.

"I finished the book. Red got her happy ending."

She stared at the message for a long time before hitting send. As soon as she did, she dropped her phone and hopped off her bed so she could pace nervously. What felt like seconds later, her phone buzzed and she jumped back into bed, fumbling to grab it a few times before she secured it and opened the message.

"I'm glad."

Ariel stared at that, not sure how to feel. Then another message popped up.

"I was beginning to wonder if I would hear from you."

Now that made her heart race. A week after she first met them and they responded so fast? Were they thinking about her as much as she was thinking about them? The signs pointed to yes, and yet she still found it hard to believe. Oh god, now she had to respond again. She was so focused on the first message that she had forgotten how conversations worked.

"Maybe I'm just a slow reader?" she sent back.

Rowan responded almost instantly. "I watched you read, that's not true."

Ariel blushed and buried her face in her pillow, taking a few seconds to compose herself before responding. "Okay, you got me, I was nervous."

A few seconds later, "Why were you nervous?"

She stared at the message, not accustomed to this level of directness but finding it rather nice.

"I don't know, I just was!"

"Am I that intimidating?"

"No! It's my fault, I get really anxious sometimes."

"What were you anxious about?"

Ariel paused at that question. She wasn't in the habit of questioning her anxiety, it was just there and she dealt with it.

"Um, I'm not sure. I guess I'm not used to beautiful strangers approaching me and giving me their number."

"I find that surprising."

"Really? Why?"

"You have an alluring presence."

Ariel stared at the message in disbelief before flushing and burying her face in her pillow again so she could scream. Alluring presence?? What did that mean? It sounded hot but what??

Feeling bolder than usual for some reason, she responded "Alluring?"

"Yes."

Okay, Rowan didn't do subtle, that was good to know.

"I'm sorry, let me rephrase that. What do you mean by 'alluring presence'?"

She felt the seconds ticking by, each one agonizingly long before her phone buzzed again.

"'Powerfully and mysteriously attractive' seems the most appropriate definition for alluring in this context."

Ariel laughed, followed immediately by more blushing. No one had ever used words like that to describe her.

"Mysterious? Me? I think you might have the wrong girl."

"No, I don't think so."

"Well fine, you're one to talk though."

"Is that so?"

"Yeah! Observing from afar and then walking up and reading over my shoulder in your long, dark coat. Very mysterious."

"I'd say the coat is more functional than mysterious."

Ariel rolled her eyes.

"Okay fine, what about the other part?"

"I'll give that to you, it was a bit mysterious."

"Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one."

"We can be mysterious together."

That made her heart beat a little faster.

"I'd like that."

"You know what I'd like?"

Now that made her heart practically stop.

"What?"

"If you'd let me take you out tonight."

Tonight!? Ariel sat up straight, clutching her pillow to her chest. That was soon, that was now. She wasn't ready now, she was a mess. But she really wanted to go with them. Moreso she wanted to be back in their presence, to feel their energy around her. She bit her lip, staring down at the text, and completely lost track of time.

"Is that too soon?"

She jumped when the second message popped up. She had taken too long, oh god. What should she do? What was the right answer? Fuck it.

"Not at all, I'd love that."

"Good. There's a band playing tonight that I think you'll like. Can you be ready in an hour?"

An hour!? She was hoping for at least two. If it was a performance, though, she couldn't make them be late, that would be awkward.

"Yeah! That works great."

"Perfect, I'll meet you there in an hour."

Shit! That meant she had less than an hour to get ready. An address came a second later. She put it into her rideshare app and found it'd take ten minutes to get there. Five minutes buffer time meant that she had approximately 45 minutes to get ready. She dropped her phone and ran to start the shower.

45 minutes of panicking later and she somehow managed to get out the door and into the car waiting for her. She felt good about her outfit too, maybe she was better under pressure than she thought! She was wearing a dark skirt that went down to her knees with her favorite tights underneath and a cute pair of black boots. On top she had a cream blouse with a forest green flannel over it. Luckily her hair hadn't needed a wash, so she had tied it back in a ponytail to keep things simple. If she could summarize what she was going for with the outfit, it would be "lesbian".

She arrived at the venue with a couple of minutes to spare. It was a small, hole in the wall kind of bar that she had never heard of before, probably because there wasn't even a sign out front. Inside, she was greeted with a pleasant, cozy atmosphere. There were more people here than she expected, but it wasn't quite packed. The air was filled with the low hum of conversation, behind which was the crackling of the fireplace that was set across from the bar. Ariel looked around but didn't see any sign of a band and for a moment she worried that she had come to the wrong place.

"It's good to see you again,"

Rowan's voice materialized directly behind her and she turned, startled.

"Oh wow, you scared me!"

They laughed and ducked their head. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to."

"No it's okay!" Ariel reached out and put her hand on their arm. "I'm just a little nervous is all."

"Yeah, I'm beginning to pick up on that."

Ariel rolled her eyes and gave them a playful shove. "Shut up."

She took a step back to look at them better. They had their hair up in a messy bun that barely seemed intentional yet fit them so well. The same heeled boots that they were wearing the first time she saw them disappeared into black jeans that she knew would make their ass look incredible, if she could see it. Unfortunately, that was hidden by a flowing maroon top covered with a short leather jacket.

"Am I up to standards?" Rowan asked, with a quirk of a smile.

Ariel blushed and looked down. "Oh god, I'm sorry. You just-you look incredible."

"Thank you." Rowan pulled her into a quick hug that she didn't even have time to reciprocate and whispered in her ear. "You look gorgeous."

Then they were standing next to each other again, although now Ariel had a new appreciation for how much taller Rowan was. Her head had only come up to their chest. Normally, she wasn't unduly attracted to tall people, but when Rowan had held her like that, it sparked something inside of her and suddenly she couldn't look them in the eye anymore.