Red and her Wolf Ch. 12

Story Info
Kade and Emily escape Dream Hill.
7.2k words
4.9
6.3k
9
7

Part 10 of the 11 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 05/17/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A/N:

Hey guys! This chapter's my longest one yet so hopefully it'll satisfy your thirst. Also, I realize I made a blooper: I apparently didn't write in Emily telling Kade she's from Seattle *facepalm*. This is the issue with writing in serial form. It's easy to make little mistakes like that lol. Anyways, that should be edited soon enough.

Thanks so much for your comments and emails! They make my day. Shout out to my one patron: YOU RULE.

Enjoy!

______________________________________________

Emily:

Night flecked with the odd glowing streetlight rushes past. A film of rain splatters the windows as I build up the gumption to ask the inevitable.

"What is he?" I look down at Kade's hand surrounding mine, cringing at the gore staining each knuckle. "What are both of you?"

Kade stews in silence. Jaw clenched tight as windshield wipers steadily smear the glass. "If I tell you, will you promise not to hold it against me?"

I pause, his sudden vulnerability taking me off guard."What could possibly be worse than you running someone over?"

A wary pull of his lips. "You'd be surprised."

"I need to know," I persist, shifting to face him fully. "Obviously you're part of some kind of...supernatural phenomenon." Saying it aloud solidifies the reality of this surreal night. Fairytales are real. I knew since being taken by the forest but was too dense to admit it to myself. Living in the fog of denial and Blake's intricate mind control.

"You're not wrong." Kade glances towards me at the next red light, skin illuminated the color of blood. "You know those wolves you were drawing?"

"Yes?" Visions of the portrait I sketched of him in the middle of the night. A charcoal beast appearing like a mirage from his flesh.

"There's probably a reason you felt compelled to draw them." He looks back at the road as the light turns green. "It's what I am. What him and I are."

My head tips to one side as I stare at him. "You're a wolf?" The question comes out more cynical than intended. Despite the magic I've just experienced, this still feels impossible. A skeptical side of me needing direct proof before I can accept it. "Like a werewolf?"

"No." His adam's apple bobs as he swallows. "Like a shifter."

A long silence.

"A wolf shifter..." I try to bat away my doubt, but it still dominates the foreground. I can feel my mouth pinching together at the mental hurdle required to believe this.

"It's not a monthly thing where we transform every full moon," he explains. "We can turn whenever we want." One hand clenches and unclenches on the wheel. "I'm not even sure werewolves exist. Never seen one."

I want to believe. I also don't want any of this to be real at all. Because if this is real...what else is real?

"What do you look like when you turn?" I peer at him with narrowed eyes. As if gazing hard enough will reveal the beast within him.

"A supersized wolf, basically."

"I see." I notice then that I've unconsciously guided our twined hands between my pressed knees. Warming them in the glittering satin of my dress. Curious, I stroke his bicep through his suit, feeling the taut sinew underneath. A kick of arousal heats my belly when his muscle twitches in response. "And do you have super strength?"

"In human form? I don't know if I'd call it "super strength", but it's above average." A shrug followed by a heavy exhale. "Once we've shifted though, all bets are off. "

"And your healing powers?" Images of Blake's mutilated body return to haunt me. Blood spreading beneath his pretty, bashed-in skull. "I mean, if I'm to believe that Blake is going to be alive and kicking an hour from now, you must heal crazy fast."

A short nod. "Too fast for our own good." Kade steers the truck down the winding road that leads to both our houses. "But we do scar like any other human."

"That makes no sense. Wouldn't your skin also regenerate?"

"Hey, I don't make the rules up for this shit," he snorts, turning the vehicle around to back into his empty driveway. "That's just the way it is."

I grin at his gruff reaction, judgement softening. Stretching my mind to wrap around this new reality, this strange and fantastical world that Kade belongs to. Bits of evidence collect in my consciousness, hard to deny.

"The first night I was here, I saw a wolf with golden eyes from my window." I squeeze his fingers as we sit in the dark in front of his house. Little light besides the distant, twinkling stars. "That was you, wasn't it? Your eyes flashed the same gold the morning we first met. I've seen it happen a handful of times since too."

"You shouldn't have." Kade's expression turns sour. "Bad form on my part."

"No, this is good!" I lift his palm to my cheek with both hands, nuzzling the warmth of him. A gesture of affection that I can't seem to help. My excitement picks up when he strokes my skin in response. "I had a feeling it was you. I knew there was something off about you. That you weren't entirely human, entirely normal."

A record scratches in the ether. Kade's fingers pause mid-caress. His answering chuckle drips with danger.

I think I plucked a nerve.

"I mean-not in a bad way," I clarify.

"Yeah. Well." Kade wrenches his hand from my grasp. Gently pats the top of my head, face deadpan. "You're not entirely normal either, sweetheart." He opens his door. Boot landing on the dirt before he leaves me alone in the passenger's seat.

I follow after him up the driveway, mentally kicking myself at my poor word choice. "I'm sorry."

"I won't fault you for telling the truth. But I meant what I said."

I squint at his broad back. "About me not being normal?"

"I'll explain more after we pack our bags."

"Where are we going?"

"You're going back to Seattle."

I come to a halt behind him. "You've just decided this for me?"

"Yup." He clomps up his front steps. "No way in hell I'm letting you stay here now that Asher knows where you live. I already fucked up by letting things get this far."

I want to protest yet at the same time, I don't feel safe staying here either. A conundrum because the thought of seeing my parent's self-righteous faces makes me physically ill. "And where are you going?"

"Mississippi."

I tag after Kade into his cabin, heart glum as he flicks on the lights. The atmosphere is similar to the front porch, his backyard shed: sturdy hardwood, hanging bundles of herbs, skull and flower centrepieces. If I wasn't so suddenly depressed, I might be able to appreciate the wild beauty of it.

"Phoenix," Kade mutters to himself as he draws his phone from his pocket. "Where the fuck is she?"

He dials her number as he heads into what I assume is his bedroom. I follow, loitering in the doorway as he searches his closet.

"She's not picking up." He tosses a bulky suitcase on his navy blue bedspread. Drawers open in quick succession before he plunges a stack of folded shirts into his luggage. "And wherever she is, is beyond my sight. Goddammit." He shoves his phone back in his pocket with a sigh.

My body hugs the door frame while I bite my nails, anxiety thrumming, body fatigued. I try to distract myself by scoping out his bedroom. A man's room. Polished oak, spare decor. The scent of tobacco and leather, hint of spice and citrus. Stream-lined and minimalist. Nothing unusual whatsoever.

Except for what is most definitely an altar.

"Uh. What is that?" I point towards the blatant witchcraft. A small table covered in red linen. Black candles at the corners, wax dripping. A bowl of dried herbs and a stag antler tucked next to a copper goblet. A silver dagger, bejewelled hilt glimmering.

"It's exactly what you think it is." Kade zips his suitcase shut.

I tiptoe closer to the altar, crouching to inspect. "Is this part of being a shifter?"

"Not really." Kade shrugs out of his dinner jacket. Slips on one sleeve of his leather coat. "At least, it wasn't until my brother and I were born."

The ruby-embedded hilt of the ceremonial dagger draws me in, hypnotized. My fingers reach towards the table. "Can I...touch it?"

"No." Kade's head snaps in my direction, eyes blazing.

I jerk my hand away. "Sorry."

Kade adjusts his leather collar, picks up a pack of cigarettes from his night table. "Some things are sacred." He takes a long breath before turning towards the door, luggage in hand. "Let's go."

*

Fifteen minutes later, after I've gathered a week's worth of clothes and coaxed my sister's tabby into his carrier, Kade and I settle back inside the pick-up truck. I'm high-strung and hot-cheeked. Flustered from the experience of packing, Kade's eyes on me like a hawk the entire time. I suppose it's no different than me following him around his house, but the intensity of it gave me goosebumps.

"I'm not letting you out of my sight until you're back in Seattle," he had said after I asked about the laser-vision. His arms crossed, leaning against my bedroom wall. Watching me crawl on hands and knees in my tight dress as I gathered clean panties from the bottom dresser drawer. Apparently, I'm going to need a pair soon because the ones I'm wearing were ruined in that moment.

I wish he would just sleep with me and get it over with.

Thankfully, he had obliged to leave me alone after I sent him off on a mission to find Snuggles. I'm not sure how he would have reacted to me bringing lingerie along. Though a strong part of me was hoping he would see the burgundy lace. Be seduced. Maybe that's stupid, the last thing I should be thinking about when we're on the run. Turns out even when in mortal danger, I can still get horny.

Morbid thoughts form as we drive away into the night: if Kade drops me off in the city, does this mean I'm never going to see him again?

Before I can start wringing my hands, Kade places his phone in my lap. "Keep calling her for me. She knows I'll never call more than once unless it's an emergency."

I go to his contacts and find Phoenix's name. Dial three times only to receive her chirpy voicemail. "She's still not picking up."

"Keep trying," he grates out.

I do to no avail before passing Kade a careful glance. "Should I text her?"

"Yeah." Kade's shoulders bunch, every tendon in his neck strained. "Tell her to answer her damn phone." He shakes his head, car accelerating as we pass the sign that says Leaving Dream Hill. "I never should have let her move in with me."

"She'll call," I begin to text Phoenix a kinder message than Kade's suggestion. "I know she'll call." I don't really know but he could use a dose of optimism. I return the phone to his jacket pocket. The ride goes uncomfortably silent so I ask, "Where's our next stop?"

"A motel about two hours away."

"And then?"

"We get some rest." Kade presses buttons on his dashboard until crackling blues music plays. "Then tomorrow I'll drive you to Seattle."

Dread suffuses me. I was secretly wishing Kade would offer to bring me with him, desperate as that might be. I don't feel safe with anyone else at this point.

I play with the edge of my dress's hemline, eyes focused on my scarlet heels. "I don't have anywhere to stay except my parent's place."

"Then I'll drive you to your parent's place."

No. I clear my throat, trying to keep my voice calm. "We don't really get along, my parents and I." A hopeful peek at him through my lashes. "Maybe there's another choice..."

Kade gives me a look that says don't even think about it. "What would you prefer? Not getting along with your parents or dying?"

My hope vanishes. "Dying." I cross my arms and stare out the passenger window: only dense, dark forest for as far as the eye can see.

"That's not an option, Red."

"Then don't offer it as one."

We both lapse into silence. The passing dark rushing by. The black road sucking me in. A powerful wave of exhaustion washes over, mixing with my frustration. Soon, I'm nodding off, muscles and mind loosening, the low throb of music getting softer, fading.

*

"Red." A firm hand runs down my arm. "We're here."

I groan under my breath, a hammer pounding in my head. I look over to find Kade watching me, hazel eyes evaluating. "Did I really fall asleep for two hours?"

"Yup. Out like a light."

"Why do I feel like I'm the one that got run over?" I massage my aching temples, grimacing at our current location: an ancient motel with a 24-hour diner attached. A blinding neon pink and green sign flashing Dolly's Darlin' Inn. "My head still hurts."

"Mind control is no joke," Kade says. "It's probably going to be another day before you're totally back to normal." He leans across me. Clicks open the glove compartment before planting a bottle of aspirin in my hand.

"Thanks." I pop a tiny orange pill in my mouth. Kade passes me a steel canteen to wash it down, the water slightly bitter on my tongue.

We exit the vehicle, the summer night muggier wherever we are now. A balm for the cold fear still gnawing my belly. Kade reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small satchel. Bound in leather, tassels at the tip. Very similar to the blue bundle left on my doorstep tonight.

"What's that?" I ask as he places it under his truck, behind one of the wheels.

"It's a ward. For protection."

I raise a brow. "So people won't steal it?"

"So people won't see it."

I peer at the truck, still very obviously in front of me. "I don't think it's working."

"You already know it's there. Anyone who doesn't know, won't be able to see it. At least, not at first glance." He catches my look of awe and elaborates. "It's a really simple spell. Anyone can do it."

"So that's why Blake was looking at your house funny," I realize aloud. "He kept staring. Like he sensed something was up but couldn't place it. Turns out he couldn't see it at all."

Kade's lips twitch. "That's because I have enough wards buried on my property to fill a swimming pool. It's the strongest defense I've ever made in my life."

"Why could I still see your place then?"

"They were enchanted to be for Brethren specifically."

I dig a hand into my purse, pulling out the tiny blue bag left on my doorstep. "Is it the same as this?" The little pouch dangles from my fingers.

"No." Kade shakes his head. "That was to track you."

"Track me?" I stare at the swinging bag, a slight feeling of offense taking over.

"I needed a way to keep an eye on you. It's a good thing I did too. Never would have found you and Asher otherwise."

"You knew I was in danger?" Offense simmers into anger. "Why couldn't you have just told me? What if I never put this in my purse?"

"I did knock." Kade turns to walk towards the motel front entrance. "Not my fault that you never answered the door."

A scowl cements itself. "I must have been in the shower." I trudge after him, heels clicking. "But still."

"Also-." He stops in front of the building, body dipped in pink-green glow. "I knew that you wouldn't be killed if anything happened. Just used as bait."

"Oh, so that makes it alright then," I snap. "He specifically told me that he would kill me, but I guess you know him better than I do!"

"I wasn't one hundred percent sure Blake was my brother until I yanked him out of his car." Kade leans so we're eye-level, toning his voice down to an intimidating whisper: a warning to not make a scene. "Everything was vague until the last minute. Plus, Asher loves theatrics. He's all show. If he wanted to kill you, he would have done it a long time ago."

I'm still pissed. My right breast still aches. "I just wish you would have told me all of this sooner."

"But would you have believed me?" Kade scans my face, nostrils flaring. "Because based on your last response to me telling you to stay away from him, I have a strong feeling you would have gone to the dance with "Good-Guy Blake" no matter what I said."

I hesitate, annoyed that he's probably correct. The only reason I believe his wolf backstory now is because of the absolute insanity of what occurred tonight. I barely believed my own supernatural experience after the incident in the forest. "I don't know."

"The important thing is that I found you when I did. I'm not going to waste time ruminating over what-if's." Kade places his hand on the front door handle. Steel-eyed and no-nonsense as usual. "Let's drop this for now. I need to book us a room." He opens the door for me and I step forward with a huff.

Then he catches my arm before I cross the threshold. "Wait."

"What?" I hiss.

"Your dress."

"What about it?"

"It's..." His gaze slides down my body. "Eye-catching."

My pulse accelerates. "So?"

"We can't afford to be eye-catching right now. We need to blend in."

Kade escorts me back to the truck, where he finds his denim jacket, some random black baseball cap. He plunks the hat on my head, lowering the brim. Then he holds out his jacket for me to slide my arms in before he starts buttoning it up for me.

"Do you really think this will make a difference?" I gently push his hands away to button the rest myself. Folding the sleeves up like the first time I wore it. Trying to not be swept away by the delicious scent it exudes.

"Maybe not with that red hair of yours, but it'll ease my mind a bit." Kade tucks an auburn strand behind my ear. My skin warms at the contact. "C'mon, let's go get that room."

*

Welp, he got us a room. With two beds.

This night is just let-down after let-down.

"You good?" Kade asks me from across the booth we're currently sitting at.

"I thought you wanted us to not draw attention to ourselves." I turn my plastic-coated menu over, looking at the dessert specials printed in Comic Sans font. "Shouldn't we be hiding in our motel room?"

"I think we're safe for the moment." Kade glances around the near-empty Dolly's Diner. Lacquer-red booths, black and white checkered tile, fifties pop crooning. There's only one other patron tonight: a husky middle-aged woman on the opposite side of the room, eyes glued on a well-worn romance novel. "Plus, you look in dire need of a milkshake."

I'm still a bit pissed at him but he's never been more right. "I'm thinking vanilla. Cherry on top."

"Classic."

"And you?"

He stretches an arm out on the back of his seat. "A hot cup of black coffee."

"It's one in the morning."

"Sleep seems unlikely, so I'm rolling with it."

A montage of sexual scenarios parade through my mind but I smother them. "Too scared to sleep?"

"More irritated than anything else."

Orders are soon taken by a brassy-haired waitress, her painted eyes lingering on Kade with unabashed interest. Not long after, a tall vanilla milkshake is slid across the table to me, a shiny maraschino cherry cresting the top. Kade sips his coffee, face set in harsh lines.

After the waitress returns behind the counter, I break the silence with a much-agonized over question. Leaning towards Kade with my voice lowered. "So...what exactly makes me not entirely normal?" I twirl my straw through thick whipped cream before having a taste, sweetness soaking my tastebuds. "You never answered that."

Kade drinks slowly, looking reluctant to reveal before his voice lowers as well. "It's gonna be awkward when I tell you the whole story, Red."

This man gave me a gushing orgasm at work and he's concerned about being awkward? "I think we're past worrying about awkwardness. We need to be truthful to each other."

Kade leans back in his seat. Eyeing me carefully as Neil Diamond's "Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon" plumes out the nearby jukebox. "You know those dreams you've been having about me?"

I nearly choke on my milkshake, not expecting that loaded question. A highlight reel of sin starts playing. Kade's mouth quirks at the corner like he knows exactly what I'm remembering, a concept both hot and unnerving. "You, uh...know about those?"