Redwood Nine: Season 02 Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Tiffed?"

"Annoyed, upset at you, that sort of thing."

"Gotcha. We'll make sure we don't get folks tiffed at us. Thanks again, Mr. Sherman."

"Harry. Call me Harry. Mister makes me feel like I should dress better."

The guys laughed at his humour and enjoyed meeting and getting to know the townsfolk, as a club. There was a feeling of acceptance from them, yet a distance was still between them. They were different and they knew it and there would always be that separation between them. As long as there was respect, there would be peace.

The guys headed back to Calaveras and made sure their suits were hung up carefully and their shoes kept in the boxes. The circle of friends sat in the living room and shared the return with fresh lemonade and a round of joints. Piney refused to settle for lemonade, when he knew there was a fresh supply of beer in the fridge.

"I say we make our list of materials tonight. Lenny's boss said the plans were good and once we get the stuff here, we can have the frame up and siding on, in a week, or so. Everyone cool with that?"

There was no concerns by anyone, other than getting it started as soon as possible. JT looked around at everyone and voiced his next thought.

"The other thing I'd like to do tonight, if it's cool with everybody, is have a prayer or something for Jake. It's his day tomorrow and I'd like to say goodbye to him, from all of us. I guess what I'm thinking about is like, I'm hoping we can talk to his spirit, or whatever and let him know how much we cared about him and what we thought of him, you know?"

"I know exactly what you are wishing for, John. I think that is a wonderful gesture of our love for him. Once the feasting is done, we'll have a ceremony in the fields and wish Jake's spirit well, as it leaves this world and begins anew in its new life."

"You think Jake's spirit is going to come back as something?"

"Not necessarily, John. His spirit could leave here all together and travel to a place unknown to us. Our spirits are energy and energy can not be destroyed, only transformed. It stands to reason then, that Jake's spirit didn't die with him that day and it is going to transform into something else."

"What? Like a dog, or something?"

"Maybe. Whatever his destiny is, John, his spirit will become whatever it is meant to be. We have no idea what we will be after we leave this earth, but we will be something, that is a guarantee."

"I never even imagined that kind of shit happening. That's pretty far out, man."

"As far out as that may be, it is still a fact we must remember."

"Yeah, I guess so. So you know of something to do, like I'm talking about?"

"Yes, I do. We'll call his spirit to us and say our goodbyes, then we must wish him well and let him go on his journey. We can not ask him to stay with us, as that would be selfish and unfair of us to ask of him."

"Yeah, I understand that. Do you think he'll hear us?"

"He will feel the energy from you, from all of us. He will know what your words mean."

Clay was shaking his head and snickering at what he was hearing, still not accepting the spiritual and mystical thoughts.

"You don't believe in any of this, Clay?"

"C'mon, talking to spirits and shit? The love thing I can understand, but this stuff, I just don't buy it."

"You are still of a mind, that you have to see it, to believe it, correct?"

"Yeah, I need to see it for my own eyes, or else it's just make believe shit."

"So you consider yourself an intelligent man and can reason things out for yourself? You don't need explanations for everything, right?"

"Yeah, I'm smart enough to figure things out."

Moon came over and sat beside Clay and had him hold his hands up. He took a deep breath and blew against Clay's hand.

"Did you feel that?"

"Yeah, I felt it."

"Did you see it touching your hands?"

"No, I can't see wind."

"But you'll agree that wind is real, even though you didn't see it."

"Yeah, I agree with that."

"You believe in some things you can't see, but not others."

"But wind is different shit, than what you're talking about."

"How, Clay? How is it different?"

"You're talking about ghosts and shit and that ain't real."

"I wouldn't go as far as to call a spirit, a ghost. A ghost is a manifestation of an entity, that lived a previous life, or something along those lines. A spirit is an energy force, something that carries everything it has experienced and takes no shapes, or forms. Here's another thing to help with understanding. Since you've been here, you've experienced free love, right?"

"Yeah, cool shit."

"You agree that there is such a thing as free love, right?"

"Yeah, I agree."

"Have you seen it?"

"I seen it happening."

"You saw the physical effects of those feeling it, but not the love, itself. If you saw it, what did it look like?"

"I didn't see nothing, I just saw stuff happening because of it."

"But you do believe it's real?"

Clay had talked himself into a corner he couldn't get out of and he knew it.

"This is why, when people deny the existence of such things, like spirits, they do so out of ignorance and doubt. How can that be real? All make believe and fairy tale stuff."

Clay knew he had no rebuttal for his side and recanted his opinion. Poppy stroked his hair and kissed his cheek, making him embarrassed even more, knowing he was outnumbered and outmatched.

"All you have to do is open your mind to the possibilities and don't deny the existence of anything you can't see, or explain away."

The guys sat silent, some in agreement with Moon, while others harboured feelings the same as Clay and sat quiet about it. No one could honestly deny the existence of the things Moon was talking about and had to accept that it may be real.

"I think we've had enough talk, I think it's time to feast and celebrate. Let us all enjoy the preparation and the company we keep."

Following human behaviour passed down since the beginning of time, the men went outside and prepared the fire and the meat for roasting, while the girls congregated in the kitchen and prepared the side dishes of vegetables and rice.

Piney went in after ten minutes to fetch a round of beers and saw that all the women had shed their clothes and were cooking and preparing the food naked. He walked back out, shaking his head to himself, then felt a hand hold him back. He turned and saw Mary looking at him with a deep love in her eyes.

"Love me tonight, Piney. Take me somewhere you haven't taken me to, yet."

Piney wasn't completely sure what she meant, but knew she was looking to make love on a grand scale later.

"You got it, Sweetness."

Mary pulled him into a passionate kiss, Piney unable to fully respond with his hands full of beer. Mary finished and looked in his eyes and Piney felt smitten by her. He knew he was in love with her and everything about her.

"I love you, Piney."

"I love you, Mary."

The kiss they shared after, was felt deeper, the meaning of it something of greater importance to them. Mary gave his ass a light smack, as he headed back out with the beer. Moon was asking JT how he was doing now and if he was handling everything okay. Piney listened carefully to JT's response and was happy knowing the worst was over and healing would just take time.

The fire was getting under way and a large bed of coals was already forming, as the guys added more wood on to it. Talk of tomorrow's funeral for Jake became the conversation around the fire, as each expressed his thoughts on him and remembered who he was. Moon was smiling, as he quietly listened to them. JT noticed and wanted to know why.

"I was thinking of tonight and how we have to ask him to join us, but you are already doing that."

"Doing what? Asking him?"

"Yes. To call a spirit to you, you must focus your thoughts and energies on it and you are doing that now. I can feel his presence among us as we speak."

"Jake? Jake's here with us now?"

"Partly. He heard you and is responding."

"How do you know this shit?"

"Clay, all it takes is an open mind and a desire to believe. Simply put, we are all nothing more than energy, like everything around us is, living that is. We can connect with any living organism, as long as we understand the energy we are connecting with."

"Okay, that's just too fucked up. Let's just stick with the spirit call to Jake."

"Okay, Clay. I know it's a hard concept to grasp, but maybe one day you'll experience it and understand what it is."

The guys were fence sitting on which one to side with, the idea so far fetched to believe, but then the opposite still held merit, in what they knew already, that led them to believe there was a truth in Moon's words. Smoking joints and drinking beer helped them keep quiet, as they stood around the fire and watched the flames dancing into the twilight sky. The spit was placed over the fire, as the flames died down and the coals glowed brightly, the twinkling embers casting the heat needed.

Phoenix and Star came out with two large roasts of beef, skewered on a rod and laid it in the vee. Wally followed behind them with a glass jar and a brush.

"What's that, Wally?"

"My special barbeque sauce. I need someone to turn the spit, while I baste the thing. Anyone want to do that?"

"If someone would fetch me a couple of beers, I'll stand here and turn this for you, Wally."

"Thanks Piney, cool."

"I'm on the beers."

"Thanks Lenny."

The stars began to sparkle to life in the cobalt sky, as they stood around the rotating meat, watching Wally slather sauce liberally over it. The aroma had many mouths watering for a taste, as the girls came out to join them. Glasses of wine, were clinked with bottles of beer, the start of a night of celebration and spiritual connection. Everyone was laughing and enjoying themselves heartily, when Moon went completely serious and concentrated. People began asking what was wrong, but Moon bade them to be quiet, as he concentrated. A couple of minutes passed and Moon seemed to be released from whatever it was that had taken him. Everyone waited for him to come back to focus with them, worry and wonder on their faces, as they waited quietly. Moon looked at them and smiled weakly, but warmly.

"Jake will be with us tonight. He has returned at our request to join our celebration and will talk with us. He asks that we enjoy ourselves now and when we summon him, he will join us here at the fire."

No one knew how to respond at that moment, To this point, none of the commune had even witnessed Moon receive a message from beyond before, leaving them in awe of the spectacle, as well. Clay couldn't accept the idea of it and mocked it openly.

"Hey Jake, before you go, you still owe me two weeks pay and holiday pay. They got any money where you are? Something I can convert into real cash?"

Clay laughed loudly by himself, finding it all humorous, until none of the faces he looked at were smiling and no laughter was heard. His laughter subsided immediately and Poppy smacked his arm, showing her dislike of his rudeness and disrespect of the moment.

"Jake found it easy to communicate to me. Spirit was with me, listening to us, weren't you?"

Spirit looked at Moon and smiled, unashamed of what she had done.

"You did very well for your first time. It took me several attempts to stay focused and connected. Jake is very eager to say his final words to you all. He asked me to join you, when you talk Moon, so you don't miss anything."

"I appreciate that. It is hard to hold on to an unknown energy like that. I felt him drifting in and out and it was hard to keep him at a constant."

"Yes. You and he have to be in sync with each other. The wavering in and out, is because you're both trying to harmonize with each other. He is moving at a different speed than you are and you need to move at the same, to be able to stay in contact strongly."

"JT, I do believe that ride this morning was planned by fate. Your feelings of speed and vibration and the understanding of it, has allowed me to understand what I must do tonight, to talk to Jake. We must ride at the same speed and the same harmonic frequency, so we are moving as one, like you and your bike."

"Wow! No shit? I did that for you? Or, fate did that for you, whatever."

"Yes, you did. Fate might have wanted it to happen, but it was your choice to make it happen. I think Spirit and I should take a moment alone and practice the technique involved in doing this."

"Cool. Don't be too long, the meat is almost done and so is the rest of the food."

"I won't be joining you for dinner, as a fast will allow my mind clarity. I really want to do my best to talk to Jake. I know how important this last time together is. Spirit and I will eat later, but please enjoy what is prepared and we will see you in a while."

Moon and Spirit left hand in hand into the house, leaving some in disbelief, some in awe and some in complete denial. Minds thought to themselves, out of respect for what could be, or fear of reprisal. Eyes stared at the glittering twinkle of the embers, as drops of fat flared up in flash flames. Sticks were used to pull the foil-wrapped potatoes and corn, still in their husks, out of the coals then gingerly flicked into a wicker basket. They were carried inside by Poppy, who was still showing her displeasure to Clay, by ignoring him. Clay didn't take it seriously, as he drank his beer and smoked a joint.

Once the meat was declared ready, it was taken off the spit and carried into the house. Piney and Wally laid it on the plates and it was carved off the rod, in mouthwatering slices. Plates were eagerly held out for some and Wally played the part of server and dished out whatever the eater asked for. When he laid three, thick slabs of juicy meat on his own plate, there was still enough for seconds and leftovers. Previous thoughts of spirituality were abandoned, for the joy of feasting in celebration. Mouths consumed the sumptuous meal, along with beer and wine in abundance.

Minds and hearts knew what was still present and pressing in their lives, but the moment took them to a place where none of the real world existed anymore and only what they created around them, was the reality. Clay waited for a pause in the conversation, where he broke in.

"Hey, everyone, I just want to say sorry about earlier and mouthing off like that. I just didn't know how to handle that shit that Moon was saying and... you know, I just..."

"It's cool, Clay. Jake knows you like him and meant nothing bad towards him."

"Yeah, Otto, I was just goofing off and didn't mean nothing wrong by it."

Poppy was happy to hear his apology wasn't asked for and was heartfelt in the way he gave it. She pulled his face towards him and kissed him deeply, letting him know he would receive more later. Clay smiled and raised his beer to the fire and yelled out.

"To Jake, best guy I ever knew."

Drinks were raised in response, then voices called out in unison and with honour, as Jake was saluted proudly. Clay received a couple pats on the back from Otto and Lenny, making him happy the guys weren't pissed at him still. Spirit came back out and asked everyone to come up to the house and get ready. The fire site was cleaned and readied for later with more wood, then everyone followed in pairs in single file, along the wildflower lined path. The streaks of burnt orange glowed brightly in the sky behind them, the edge of night, still creating a blend of blues from dark to light, where the sun had set long ago, unbroken by nature's brush.

Moon was standing naked in the living room, looking at the low fire in the fireplace, as the group came in. He turned smiling towards them.

"I hope everyone has eaten well and enjoyed the foods offered."

No one was phased by nudity anymore and immediately responded with praises for the preparation of it. Bellies were rubbed to show their happiness at the fullness they felt, some burping as well. Moon hushed them to speak.

"Everyone, it's time to get ready for our talk with Jake, so I'd like everyone to undress and we'll begin with a circle of love, so we are all connected. The more focused our energy is, the better our conversation with Jake will be. I hope he'll be able to speak to every one of us and share his final thoughts and feelings with you."

JT became very excited by the idea of being able to actually talk and hear Jake one more time.

"Wait, let me get this right, Moon. Are you saying that Jake could actually speak to me and I can hear him and if I talk to him, whatever way you're supposed to do it, I could do that?"

"Most definitely, John. I am no different than you in this regard. As I said before, Jake just found it easier to talk to me at that moment. I've never done this before, or had a conversation with a spiritual entity. I have little understanding of it all, from an experience side of it, only what I have learned and been told by Spirit, what she understands of it. Her connection to the spiritual world is strong and gets stronger, the more she understands what it is and how she is a part of it."

"So, how do I talk to him then? Is there like an order, or does he just pick and choose who he talks to, or do I have to make a connection with him?"

Moon could see how anxious JT was, to know how to communicate with Jake and did his best to explain what he knew and then Spirit explained what she knew about it. Some of it didn't make sense, because of the ignorance of the subject, but much did. It made sense to many of them and as clothes were shed, questions were asked on how they could all talk to Jake and he could talk to them. Even Clay began getting caught up in it all, despite his objection to the reality of any of it. The circle was formed and hands were joined, as questions ebbed and the need to unite spiritually was started.

Half an hour later, couples emerged into the inky night sky and the chirping of crickets. The trail was walked and the group circled the dwindling flames. Wood was added and soon caught fire, lighting the faces and bodies once again joining hands. Moon led them into a group meditation to focus on Jake and welcome his spirit to them. He asked Jake to come and talk to everyone, wanting him to bring a peace to his time here on earth, before he went on his next journey. At first, no one seemed to be feeling anything, but there was a group reaction to the increase in energy they were feeling among them.

Moon took the same serious look again, his eyes shutting tightly, as he concentrated on what he was feeling.

"Jake has joined us and thanks everyone for welcoming him. His spirit is brightened by the energy we extend to him. He is quite taken by the love we have for him and never realized the feelings he had for you guys, were being felt in return. He says he felt like he did when he rode with his club and felt like he was a part of something again. He wishes he could be with you on your rides and enjoy the wind in his face, like you do. He hopes he can talk to each of you and you hear him and he can hear you."

The faces of everyone seemed to take on a more serious expression, as they concentrated on connecting with Jake. JT was sure he was being spoken to and strained to hear the words. He began to look upset, his inability to make the connection frustrating him. As quick as they frustration started, a look of sheer happiness erased it, as he felt the connection happen. Jake seemed to be right there in front of him, yet he dared not open his eyes and break it. He could feel his presence strongly and spoke with his mind to him, telling him everything his heart was feeling. When he finished, he felt a surge of energy wrap around him and he would swear to his dying day, that Jake was holding him. He listened for a voice, something that he could hear, or understand coming back to him. Piney squinted a look at him and saw the strained expression on his face, as he worked at listening,