Redwood Nine: Season 03 Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Are you saying we got to pay you to work here?"

"Did I say that? No. I said you work when we say you can work. We run this town, or haven't you noticed the nice people here saying hello to us as they pass?"

The foreman knew JT was speaking the truth. Hardly a soul went by, either walking or driving, that didn't take the time to say hello and wave. Affirmation was planted in them, that the bikers were in charge and had no other choice but to heed the words offered.

"So when do we get to work here?"

"When you build something we want you to build. We don't want to see this piece of shit standing here, no one does. This thing is a creation of greedy money and that's all it looks like. This town has a spirit that lives in every business here, look at it, you can see it for yourself. Look at the street and how the people are with one another. Do you really think this shit hole is ever going to do that here? Not a fucking chance."

The foreman watched the street carefully, noting how store owners greeted and talked with everyone on the street, how the townsfolk associated with one another. It was as idyllic a setting as anyone could paint a picture of. The foreman looked at JT with understanding, mixed with his frustration.

"So, what am I supposed to say to my boss? I got a job to do and he expects it to be done."

"That's not my problem, it's yours. My problem is this thing you want to build and it isn't happening in my town. You want to tell your boss that, go ahead. Just know this, you cause me problems, I'm going to cause you problems. I know enough about the law, to know you haven't got a leg to stand on, no matter what I say to you. You try building it and we'll tear the fucking thing down and make sure you can't put it back up. Consider this our friendly conversation, the next ones will just be getting worse. Leave my town and don't come back, until you build something we want built. My town, remember that."

JT's look and words, hit home like a hammer to the forehead. He warily looked at JT, as he put the truck in reverse and backed up to his crew. After some arguing, the equipment was started up and began moving back to the yard. Eyes watched the procession go, smiles appearing on their faces, as their hopes were being realized. Some took the time to walk down the street to the club and began thanking them for what they were doing. JT and the others knew they had succeeded in what JT hopes for them were. Acceptance, nothing more.

It was to their greatest enjoyment and surprise, to see so many on the streets cheering and clapping, as they passed. Smiles were broadly worn on the club, as they waved and shouted back encouragements to them. JT twisted his throttle, the others quickly doing the same, letting everyone know the Sons were there and never leaving them alone. Protection always came at a price, but the price the townsfolk paid in accepting the club, was one that was paid with love. JT knew from all his talks with Moon and the others, that love was a far greater power to wield, one that brought loyalty and trust. His plans to make the club an accepted member of the community was paying off, even more than he imagined it would.

They pulled into the lot and backed the bikes to the railing, the quiet coming back to the area. Suzy stood in the door way and shouted to JT.

"We've been getting a ton of calls lately. What did you guys do?"

JT smiled at her and started laughing, the others enjoying the moment to reflect on it as well. The rest of the girls came out of the clubhouse and joined them, sharing the news of the day.

"Anyone call that was important, that wants me to call back?"

"Oh yeah. Wayne called twice, he really wants to talk with you. Some guy named, something Hale called and was flipping out. I hung up on him, he was an asshole. Oh, Mr. Lowen called and said to talk to him immediately."

"Yeah, guess he wants to give me all the legal stuff about it, make sure I don't cross the line and do something bad. Okay, I'll call him and then Wayne and get the scoop on all this. Guys, time for some maintenance on the bikes. Let's get them ready for the run this weekend and make sure we don't have any surprises. Just give mine a lube and check the tires, I'll go over it once I'm done with the calls."

Every member went to their bikes and began doing the monthly servicing to them. Whether the bike ran perfectly, every part was inspected and tested. A part could run perfectly today, but a month later, it was a problem waiting to happen. JT and Suzy went into the office and his first call was to Art. Not soon after the hellos, Art went straight into his need to express the legal ramifications to JT's actions. JT assured him that neither he, or his club did anything violent, or threatening. All he did was express the town's desire not to see it being built and to build something they liked instead.

Art had to laugh at that point, knowing JT's way of explaining it, meant a more distinct form of aggression, using their presence as a weapon. He knew what kind of fear bikers presented to the public, their appearance in contradiction to the norm and that made people feel uneasy. He cautioned him on showing any force and never touch anyone, then thanked him for all he was doing.

"You know, Jake would be kicking up his heels at this. He'd be right along side of you. He loved Charming and the way the town lived. He would have been against the build, just like you."

"Yeah, I got that from him a few times."

Art cautioned JT again and advised him on the best course of action to take, before he hung up. JT called Wayne Unser next and got much the same from him. No one was against what he was doing, the common man of Charming facing extinction from progress. Wayne related what the call earlier was about and said the next time, bigger fish would be involved and they would come with back up. Unser explained his position, that he had to uphold the law, but gave JT every way to defend the town legally.

JT and Suzy left the office and went into the clubhouse, where he walked in and thrust his fist in the air, hollering they were champs. The others took up the cry and that bolstered them to feel powerful enough to take on the system. They were surprised to hear about the level of support they had from the town, bringing a closeness to them, one that favoured their presence. The afternoon had them all discussing the next stage of attack, on what they could do to deter the builders, without ending up in jail.

Day two of the battle began with clear skies and idyllic temperatures and the club sitting down the street from the lot. The builders could be heard coming to the site and the guys began their next deterrent. One by one, they pulled out and began riding single file down the street, making as long a line as they could. They rode past the site, as the trucks neared the entrance, making them wait until the bikers passed them and they could turn in. By the time the last biker had passed, they had circled the block and rode past them again. They continued circling, preventing the vehicles from turning into the lot, bringing about horn blowing as the first sign of aggravation.

They made three circuits around the block, before tempers flared and push came to shove. Keith was just coming up to the entrance, when the foreman tried to cut him off and make it in the lot. Keith hit the brakes, but collided with the side of the truck, body slamming against the side as he turned. That brought out angers on both sides, as the club came to protect Keith and defend their actions. The sound of sirens coming, had the builders feeling they would be seen as in the right, saying the trouble the bikers was causing would stop immediately. Unser pulled to the scene and stopped, then two more cruisers pulled up and began quelling the hostilities between both sides.

Once an investigation was under way, Unser discovered the cause of the accident and began writing out a citation for the foreman. When he saw he was being blamed for it and not the bikers, he began calling Unser numerous insulting names and swore to get even for it. Unser gave him a look and called over another officer.

"Needham, arrest this man for making threats against an officer of the law. You can start with that and I'll have others to add at the station."

The foreman was livid and struggled to keep from being handcuffed, but he was subdued and cuffed, then put into the back of the cruiser.

"Anyone else want to join your boss?"

None of the other workers challenged Unser and waited to know what was going to happen. Townsfolk gathered at the scene and supported the story, that the club had done nothing wrong and were merely riding through town in a safe manner. A black Lincoln Continental pulled to the scene and stopped, a large, rotund man getting out and heading to the core of the matter. Unser went to him and was blasted by him, before he was even twenty feet away.

Unser shook his head, as he listened to the complaints and threats from the department store executive. He waited until the man was almost breathless from venting, before he started back in on him. The executive stood and listened to the charges being laid against the foreman and a further caution, that his people had better practice road safety in his town, or they'd be denied access to the roads of Charming. Wayne gave him the full measure of his position and put the fat man in his place.

With charges of insulting and assaulting an officer hanging over his head, the executive waddled back to his car and sped away from the scene, causing some to fear his driving. Unser spent over two hours investigating the accident and caused a delay in the crew getting their equipment on the site. It was early afternoon, when the floats were unloaded and the heavy equipment left on site. The haulers were driven away and the crew left, as their foreman was still incarcerated for his actions and not released yet.

Wayne stood with the club and told him that was the best he could do on his end and it was only a matter of days, before a hole appeared in the ground and a foundation was built. JT assured him he had done an excellent job in helping them and that further steps would be taken now to prevent any building to be started. Unser was leery of what the actions were and cautioned them to stay within the boundaries of the law, if they wanted his protection.

Day turned to night, as the club sat in the clubhouse, waiting for the darkness to come. Wally drove JT, Lenny and Chico to the back side of the site and parked. Each carried a bag and made their way to the equipment, climbing up and opening gas tanks. The bags were opened and the white crystals of sugar were poured in, then cleaned from around the filler hole, so no traces were left. The four went back to the car and drove away, no one the wiser for what they had done.

The club was parked along the curb of the street, watching the workers come to start the day, all of them wary about the inactivity of the bikers sitting there. The foreman looked at the club and made derogatory gestures to them and the club just smiled, as engines were started and the black, diesel smoke belched out of the exhausts. No more than five minutes had passed, when the engines began running rough and died, with no chance of starting them again. The crew inspected the engines and had no idea what was wrong with them, until spark plugs were pulled out and showed the cause. The foreman looked at the club laughing at them and jumped in his truck, taking off for either the phone, or a direct face to face with the police.

The Lincoln was back in half an hour, along with the county sheriffs, bringing the Charming police out in force as well. A stand off of authority ensued and the sheriffs had no choice, but to leave the site and the boundaries of Charming, having no jurisdiction in it. The executive was beet red with livid anger at the destruction of his equipment and demanded the club be arrested for it, but Unser only asked if he had proof of his accusations, getting the no he suspected. With no proof, there was nothing Unser could do and told the executive he was sorry for his loss, but his hands were tied by the law.

The executive once again got in his Lincoln and tore off down the street, but this time, he was stopped not far away and issued a couple of tickets for speeding and reckless driving, making him furious enough to rip them up and toss them on the ground. Before the man could move, he was taken from the car and arrested on littering and disobeying an officer. The people were smiling happily at seeing him taken away and that was more than he could take. He began hurling insults at them and threatened to sue the town. His crimson face expressing his fury, was all anyone saw, as the cruiser drove past slowly.

The club went to Lumpy's diner and sat having a meal on the house, when Unser came in and sat with them. He explained what he had done and congratulated the guys on doing a good job of sabotage, that nothing could point at them as the culprits. Unser was curious to know what was planned next, but JT pretended to zip his lips and Wayne could only hope it wouldn't be something that would be too dire in nature. He mentioned that the mayor was starting to get more than upset at the calls from the head office. His worship was in dire straights to lean either way in this matter. Business was one thing, but his constituents were another. Business helped pay taxes and create jobs, but the people were the ones that kept him in his position.

Calls were made from all points, to deal with the growing conflict, bringing about another meeting at the town hall. The cacophony of voices were clearly in favour of abandoning the new store, making those on stage very nervous about the situation. Jacob Hale Jr. took the podium and called for a quieting of the room, only to be booed off the stage. D.C. Unser went up and had the audience hush, using his hands first, then spoke to them. He welcomed the mayor to the podium and he received a cold reception as well. He tried to promote the store as a boon to the town, but raised voices drowned him out, in objection to what he said. The club sat at the back quietly, listening and knew they were favoured to continue harassing the builders.

The meeting was ended in indecision, the townspeople against it, while the powers that be, were trying to maintain the benefits of it. Once the opposition was gone, the town members began another meeting of their own, discussing what the club had done so far and what they could do themselves to assist them. No one wanted the club to face criminal charges, but they were at the end of anything remotely legal in their efforts. JT asked if anyone was willing to make up signs and begin a protest march and picket the site. That made many contemplate the idea, that it was a legitimate form of protest and one they felt able to participate in.

At eight o'clock sharp, as workers came to the site, a steady line of protesters was marching back and forth across the entrance. As the men got out of the trucks to go to the site, they were barraged with shouts of not wanting the store in their town, to leaving and not returning and ending with 'No Sears Here.' Workers were at a loss to try and cross the line, as men, women and children marched and bolstered signs high for everyone to read.

JT and the club were parked along the curb and sat on their bikes, looking every bit as menacing as they always had. It didn't take long, before Unser and two more squad cars were on the scene. They went to the club first and asked a few questions, before going to the workers and asking what their problem was. The stunned looks on their faces, almost had some laughing at them, as they pointed out the obvious to Wayne.

"I guess they don't want your store here. You know, as much as you have a right to do a job, just like the rest of us, they're the folks your people want to try and sell shit to. Has anyone at the head office taken that into consideration, that maybe it's a bad idea to open a store here and open one someplace else?"

"So what are we supposed to do then?"

"I'd call that fat bastard who was here yesterday and tell him to pack up and go. You tell him no one in Charming wants their store here, so it's just a waste of everybody's time to build it here. No one wants to shop there, so what's the point? Just end up closing it down and we have a big pile of shit we have to tear down."

The foreman shook his head, unable to understand the need for Charming to remain the way it was and not want the convenience of a large department store with everything under one roof. He looked at the faces of the people and they were speaking volumes of support for Unser's words, then back to Wayne, who shrugged his shoulders and gestured facially to say he had no other choice.

"I can clear them away, that's not a problem. I can keep the bikers under control, but you still got that problem of no one wanting that store here, or you guys either, for that matter. Right now, I need my streets cleared of your trucks, so's I can get my town running properly again."

That seemed to settle everything for the foreman and he called for his crew to get back in the trucks and back to the yard. Cheers went up and continued long after the trucks had left the scene. Charming was saved and the store owners and patrons were relieved to know decades of service wasn't being pushed into the history books. Citizens united and stood as one, proud of what they had done for their town. Harry Sherman was the first to walk away from the throng and cross the street to the club. Starting with JT, he went to each one individually and thanked him, shaking their hands with vigour.

The others saw him and it took only several to make the move over to them and the rest followed. The guys got off their bikes and came together with them, receiving the thanks they deserved, but never looked for it. The fear of the unknown, had become something of friendly familiarity, as they personally recognized the club openly and acknowledged all of their well meant support. Unser was quick to point out how well his dad was doing with the treatments and owed it to the club and the support they showed, even visiting him and keeping him company.

The kindness was taken to heart by all, the protection of their town making them feel safe in their presence. JT took that moment to instil what he wanted them to believe of them and not what they had thought of them from media hype.

"I just want to thank everyone here myself and from all my club members as well. I know it's been hard for you to accept us, a bunch of guys who like to ride motorcycles and make a lot of noise and we're sorry about that, Harry let us know a while back about the vibration of the windows and everything, so we do our best to make as little noise as we can and avoid that. Our apologies. As for our business, Teller-Morrow Auto Service, we'll be back open soon for business, once we get everything settled and find a place to live. Seems our mutual friend, Jacob Hale Jr., enjoys making lives miserable around here, because he had Lenny here, tossed out of his place illegally last year. We've been living with some friends out in Calaveras since then, so if anyone knows of a place, we'd be happy to be good neighbours. One thing we'll always do our best to do, is keep Charming the way it is and promote our local businesses."

Smiles came out broad and happy, hearing words that touched the heart strings. The young men might look and act a bit differently, but their hearts were in the right place and that's what mattered to them. Differences aside, they were welcomed with open arms and promises of support to keep their business running.