Regaining My Life Ch. 02

Story Info
A colleague invites Quinn on a hike.
12.8k words
4.77
9.6k
7

Part 3 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/19/2023
Created 07/19/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Regaining My Life

Chapter 2 -- The Hike

Summary: Quinn and Chris come to terms with the events of Friday evening. Another colleague invites Quinn on a hike.

A note to the reader, this is my second submission on Literotica. Thank you to SissyKaty, Lelo210, and s0reth0at for their reviewing and editing work. This was originally a one-off story, but I have extended the story for several chapters. All characters and situations are complete fiction, a product of my fertile imagination. Any similarity to actual people and situations is purely a coincidence. I hope my story reflects the human condition, our daily struggle to live meaningful, happy lives. My characters are flawed, just like you and me. All constructive criticism is welcome.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Ending a sex drought does interesting things to one's mind. Everything takes on a sexual connotation and having sex again becomes one of the mind's primary drives. It had been at least three years since I had made love to my wife. Her ensuing battle with cancer and passing put a damper on my libido. On Friday evening, my dear friend Christina and I unexpectedly broke an eight-year platonic relationship with an evening of passion. It was an incredibly life changing experience even though it was most likely a one-off event. Chris had discovered that her husband was cheating on her. Although Chris and I cared for one another, I somehow doubted that our affair would continue.

Even though I was primarily friends with Chris, part of me felt like I had betrayed my friendship with Jack. Yes, he was cheating on Chris. Yes, Chris was probably leaving him. Nevertheless, Chris and Jack had both come to my aid when I needed help. They both saw me through so many tough times. So, even though making love to Chris was a dream event, deep down I felt a bit like a shithead.

Chris had left my house around nine o'clock on Friday evening and said she was going to Zoë's. Zoë is a fellow professor and the two of them are thick as thieves. I didn't hear a thing on Saturday or Sunday.

Monday dawned hot and muggy. I decided that this would be a great day to harvest my onion crop. I started around nine and had all the onions out of the ground by eleven. I still had to put them up in the barn to dry, but I needed some water and a break. Sweat was streaming down my face and the brim of my straw hat was dark with moisture. My shirt was drenched and the garden dirt had just made me a muddy mess. Trying to brush anything off just made it worse.

"Hey there, lover boy." It was Chris. She was walking down the hill from the barn. "I hope you don't mind, but I pulled my car into your barn and closed the door."

"No. I don't mind. What? So Jack won't see your car?"

She nodded. Chris was wearing some snug fitting jeans which nicely highlighted her figure, a Chicago Cubs t-shirt, and an Anchor Brewing Company ball cap. Her hair was in a ponytail extending through the cut out at the back of the cap. She came over to me with what looked like the intention of giving me a hug.

"You may not want to get close to this mess."

"Oh, you are yucky." She came over and studied my face. "There's a clean spot" and she kissed my cheek bone. "I think that's the only one. What are you doing?"

I pointed at the garden, "Harvesting onions."

"Wow, that's a lot. Do you use that many?"

"No. I'll keep about a dozen and give the rest away. I was just heading up to the house for a break."

She fell in beside me, and held my hand. We walked quietly for the first 25 yards.

I broke the silence, "How are you my friend?"

"I've been better. I just came from the lawyer's office. She's filing the divorce papers this afternoon. I'll pick up Jackie from pre-school and keep him for the rest of the week. We're going go with alternating weekends for now. When he gets to kindergarten I think I'm going to ask the teacher to call him by his proper name -- John. The nickname has to go."

I didn't know what to say, so I thought silence would be best. We reached the back door and I held it open for her. Inside I have what I call my mudroom. The washer and dryer are there, plus a sink to clean up.

"Give me a moment to wash up."

Chris sat down on an antique park bench that was against the wall. I knew she was watching me. I stripped off my shirt and threw it on the laundry pile. I took a towel from the rack and set it next to the sink. I ran the water, first sticking my head under the faucet, then washing my face, arms, and hands.

Chris said, "You really are a sexy man. I love how the sweat has matted your chest hair."

I turned my head and smiled at her. I toweled dry, grabbed a clean work shirt from the laundry basket, and put it on. "There. Damp, but presentable."

Chris came over and gave me a hug, placing the side of her head against my chest. I kissed the top of her head.

"I was going to have something to eat, let's go into the kitchen." She took my hand and led the way. Once in the kitchen she sat at the table.

I asked, "What can I get you?"

"Just some water. I'll eat whatever you're eating."

I got out two pint glasses and filled them with well water from my tap, placing one in front of her and one where I would sit. She placed a napkin and a fork at each setting.

I said, "So, you saw a lawyer. You're filing. But how are you doing?"

"Quinn, I'm miserable."

"Why don't you start with when you left here on Friday." I put four pieces of bread in the toaster and sliced up a large tomato. I pulled out a baggie of cooked bacon from the fridge and a head of lettuce. I sliced off a section of lettuce. I put the bacon, lettuce, and tomato on a plate. I came over and sat down. Our eyes met and it felt like our souls became one. We have always done this since I first met her, but it never has gotten old.

"Well, I went over to Zoë's. Quinn, you have no idea what loving you did for me. You most certainly saved a life, either mine or Jack's. I was emotionally at the end of my rope. I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I actually drove to the trail by the old quarry. I was going to climb to the top and jump. Then I thought of my son and backed down. Then I thought about the party, I was going to get plastered. I thought of you and how you could go with me, maybe be my designated driver. You have to believe me that I had no intention of doing anything other than going to a party with you when I came over here."

"I believe you. It was just as much me as you. Lust got the better of both of us. Chris, I'm a little concerned about your mental health. If you ever think about hurting yourself again, you've got to let me know."

"I promise. I'm doing better. I try to be around someone like you or Zoë."

The toast popped. I got up and put the four slices on a plate. I brought them over to the table and we assembled our BLTs. The tomatoes were from my garden and I watched Chris' face for her reaction.

"That's a nice sandwich. Are the tomatoes yours?"

I nodded. "Pretty good?"

"Oh, they're fabulous."

"So you went to Zoë's."

Chris continued looking into my eyes, "Yes. No way was I going home. Zoë probably thought I was pretty weird. I remember coming in, giving her a long hug, and asking her to use her guest room. I was just overcome with emotion. I couldn't sleep. Kept thinking about you. Thinking about Jack being a shithead. Thinking about making love to you." She put her hand on top of mine. "I couldn't stop thinking about making love to you."

I raised her hand to my mouth and kissed it. "Christina, you have not been out of my mind for more than a moment or two since Friday. I can't stop thinking about you either."

She squeezed my hand. "I probably didn't get to sleep until dawn. I slept until noon. Zoë is such a good friend; she made me breakfast and didn't say a thing. I told her about Jack, and she wasn't at all surprised. She reminded me that he has always had a wandering eye. Jack hit on her hard at the welcome party back during my first week on campus. We'd only been married a year! She told me about that the next Monday, one of the reasons she became my friend. That reminded me that he grabbed one of my bridesmaid's ass at our wedding reception. Zoë also reminded me how he's always been flirting with every girl he sees."

I said, "And here I thought you two had a storybook marriage. That you were living happily ever after."

"Right? I guess I just ignored all the signs. I kind of thought the same way. I've been so blind. Probably willfully blind. I didn't want to know. How did Zoë put it? 'This isn't a romance novel. This is real life. Sometimes things don't work out the way they're supposed to.' I feel like such an idiot. I should have seen it coming. I thought we had a good life together. Yes, our love life has slowed. Maybe I could have prevented it. After the baby came, I know I was ugly and I wasn't desirable."

I raised my hand, "Point of personal privilege. You have never been ugly. You have never been undesirable. You are hands down a very beautiful woman. Chris, if Jack decided he was going to cheat on you, I doubt there is anything you could have done."

Chris said, "I hope you don't mind, but I told Zoë what happened between us." I raised my eyebrows. "I didn't tell her all the details, but I did tell her that you were an amazing lover and that I had never experienced anything like that in my life."

I must have blushed a little. I certainly felt very awkward. Seeing her plate was empty I said, "Can I get you another sandwich?"

"No, thank you." I picked up her plate, placed it on mine, and took them to the sink. I came back and sat down. Chris put her hand on mine and our eyes locked in again. "I'm sorry Quinn. Zoë is my best friend, and I had to share, or I was going to burst. Please don't be mad. You are my other best friend."

I sighed. "Chris, I could never be mad at you."

"Zoë also told me you wouldn't be mad because you loved me. Probably a lot more than I realized."

"Zoë's right, again."

"This might sound crazy, but I have been thinking about us. About us being together." Suddenly her eyes were welling with tears. I held her hand again. She used her napkin to wipe her eyes. "Quinn, other than Zoë you are my best friend. Zoë told me how much you loved me because I told her how much I loved you. You are good and kind and decent. You are like a saint."

"Whoa, Chris, I am no saint. Ever since I first met you and you looked into my eyes, you had me. I was a married man and I lusted after you. I would imagine what your nude body looked like. I downloaded every picture you posted of yourself on Facebook. I thought about what it would be like to make love to you, how my life would be if you were my partner."

She nodded. "I thought about that last part all day yesterday. Here's the thing Quinn. I don't know how we could make it work. You have twenty years on me. You're already a grandfather, with what three grandkids?"

I nodded. "You would be 73 when Jackie, I mean John, turns 18. You've done fatherhood once. Could you start all over?" She had a point. "When this divorce is final, I would have no problem asking you to be my partner, to be my husband if we decide together that it is right for both of us. For right now, I don't think we should think about it. That's a long way off."

I just nodded again.

Tears were tracing down her cheeks. She stopped trying to control them. Chris said, "Here's the hard part." She swallowed hard. "I don't think we should be lovers for a while."

I grimaced. How did I know this was coming? I didn't have an answer so I just continued looking into her eyes.

Chris finally continued, "Yesterday, it dawned on me when I remembered what you said on Friday when we were lying in each other's arms. You haven't seen anyone since Roz passed away. I would be your rebound love. You would be mine. If you will eventually have me, I will gladly share the rest of your life with you. But, I think you should start dating. When I'm ready, I should date other people too."

"Come on Chris, who I am going to go on a date with? I'm an old man."

"You are not. I can think of half a dozen right on campus -- Zoë, Asha, Astrid, Colleen, Julianne."

"Technically, that's five, and Asha is a lesbian."

"OK, Trish. You know what I mean. I would bet every one of them, well except Asha, would love to go out with you. There's a lot of single women on campus and I'm not counting the co-eds."

"Co-eds are strictly off limits for me."

"Good point, but it doesn't even have to be one-on-one. You could come with the Wood Nymphs on a hike. You know about the Wood Nymphs?"

"That's your hiking club."

"It could be something as simple as going on a hike with Zoë. She would love to show you the local forests." She placed her hand on mine, "Please? For me?"

"Be careful. Look what happened the last time you asked me like that."

"I'm not asking you to have sex with Zoë." Her eyes twinkled. "Although I think that would be a fabulous idea."

"You want me to have sex with Zoë?"

"Maybe friends with benefits. Quinn, she is so insecure. Yes, she comes across as confident, but I don't think she's been with more than a handful of men in her whole life. I know at least one of those turned out horribly. I don't think it was rape, but I think she was traumatized."

"Isn't Zoë seeing Anders? Those two seem to be really tight. They're like classic hipsters traveling the world. Didn't they go to Denmark together?" Anders was a staffer at the college and Zoë was always posting pictures of the two of them together.

"Quinn, Anders is gay. Didn't you know that? In fact he's getting married to his longtime partner over Labor Day weekend and they're moving to California."

"Oh."

"Zoë's pretty bummed about Anders moving." She squeezed my hand again and smiled. "Whenever possible, I would love to spend time with you. Like today. I don't have to pick up Jackie -- John -- until 3:30. I'd love to help you with your onions and anything else you are doing."

"I'd love that. Let me show you where Roz' work clothes are. You can wear those and not get your nice clothes dirty."

_ _ _ _ _

Chris changed into a pair of torn jeans and a white blouse that had paint splatters on the shoulders. The jeans were too big at the waist and she had a belt cinched tight to hold them up. She also wore Roz' straw hat.

She said, "I have some grubbies I'll bring over and leave here. Roz' stuff is a bit big on me."

We gathered up the onions and took them to the barn where I showed her how to braid the stalks together to dry. Within minutes we were both sweating profusely and I noticed that Chris had gone braless for the occasion, her lovely areolas showing through the now transparent blouse. I decided not to comment and just enjoy the scenery.

We finished with the onions, then went back to the garden and prepped the beds for planting in the spring. I had brought out water bottles for us. She drank some, then poured some onto her shirt.

I said, "Good idea," and poured some on me.

Chris gave me an impish smile. We both knew what we were doing to one another, but the idea of not being her lover was difficult. I had a truckload of cow manure and we spread some of it out on the now empty onion beds. After an hour and a half of work, we walked over to the porch and I got us some more water. We held hands and sat in companionable silence. At 2:30, her phone's alarm went off; Chris said she need to get ready to get John. I walked into the kitchen with her assuming she'd go up and change.

She said, "I'm filthy." Standing in the middle of the kitchen, she unbuttoned her blouse and handed it to me. Her beautiful breasts taunted me. She kicked off her shoes, dropped her pants, and handed those to me as well. She stood before me naked, facing me with her hands on her hips. Her body glistening with sweat, "I figured I would save you a trip with the dirty clothes."

I said, "What the hell are you doing to me?"

"I said we shouldn't be lovers. I didn't say I couldn't tease you and keep your interest up. Plus I have a little exhibitionist streak in me. You have no idea how hot this is making me having your eyes on me."

"Trust me. I do. Here I thought you were this very modest woman."

Chris gave me a very impish smile. "Normally I am." She stepped forward, kissed my lips, and patted my sweaty shirt. "Gonna take a shower. Please stay down here." She ran off. I went and sat on the porch, my cock throbbing.

_ _ _ _ _

The next day I was cutting the grass on my riding lawn mower. My two acres takes about three hours to cut. I used to load up some songs to my iPod -- yes, I still use an iPod -- and rock out for the duration. Today, I just put in earplugs and thought. Of course, the only thing on my mind was Christina. The memories led to some stiffening, and I frequently felt moisture leaking on my leg.

It was about three in the afternoon. I had just turned and started another pass across the adjoining acre, moving toward the house, when an unfamiliar car pulled into my gravel drive. As I approached, I saw Zoë Maisano's blonde head emerge from the yellow Subaru.

Zoë was a short, petite professor. I wasn't sure how old she was, but my guess would be somewhere around 40. She was single, never married, loved traveling, and was open to all types of exercise. Zoë's blonde hair was almost platinum which, given her very fair complexion, I would guess was her natural color. She had a slender waist, which accentuated her slim hips. Her breasts were probably about a B-cup. At the college, Zoë was always professionally dressed. Although we were friends, I had not really hung out with her except at the occasional party when Rosalind was still alive.

I rode up to Zoë. She was wearing large sunglasses and a white sleeveless tank top. I thought I detected her nipples through the material. She capped her ensemble with short khaki shorts and some hiking boots.

Although she was short, proportionally Zoë's legs were toned, long, and lean. I pulled up alongside her and cut the engine. She stepped on the cutting deck, leaned over, and gave me a semi-hug -- arms around me, head next to head, but no body contact.

"Hey," she said.

"How are you doing Zoë?"

"Oh, good. Good. I just finished a nice hike up on the trail."

"You hike by yourself?"

"Sometimes."

"Is that safe? A lot of creeps around."

"Oh, I can defend myself quite well. I was supposed to go with Chris. She told you she was filing, right?" I nodded. "It bums me out. We were supposed to go hiking today, but she had to go see her lawyer. She suggested that I ask you to come with me instead. I was almost out the door, and I didn't think it would be fair to invite you with no notice."

"Thanks for that."

"Maybe you want to come with me tomorrow."

"I don't think I could keep up with you. I'm not a young man anymore. I'm in decent shape, but not like you."

She laughed. "Don't worry. I'll take it easy on you. How about if I take you out for a training hike. We'll go slow and make frequent stops. No need to be embarrassed. Just you and me."

"And I won't be embarrassed in front of you?"

"Quinn, how long have we known each other?" Zoë and I had started together at the college 10 years ago. "I don't think there is anything that you should ever be embarrassed about with me. You are one of my best friends. That way you can get in better shape and come with us more frequently."

Zoë was a friend, but I wouldn't have put her into the 'best' category. I started to fumble for an excuse when Zoë reached out and put her hand on my arm, "Quinn, you need to let us take care of you. I'll stop by your house tomorrow at nine and pick you up. Wear some layers and some good walking shoes. Mornings are cool. By afternoon it will be warm, maybe even hot. Bring your sunscreen."