Regret

Story Info
750 word challenge story.
750 words
4.14
44.1k
23
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ahazura
Ahazura
1,633 Followers

"We are each our own Devil, and we make this world our hell" - Oscar Wilde

What? A welder isn't supposed to know how to read the classics? Okay I don't read the classics. I did read "The Picture of Dorian Gray" in high school and the biography I wrote on Oscar Wilde got me a B. The quote came back to me as I stared into the mirror behind the bar at the Red Horse Saloon. She had to come here with him, didn't she? I thought this was the one spot I could go to get away from her. Oh well, I was about done with my drink anyways. I finished the last of my Johnny Walker and laid a couple twenties on the table. Since I stopped paying spousal support to her a few months ago, I was pretty flush with cash. Not that there was much to spend it on.

Looking at her one more time, she really looked happy. I remembered when I could make her look like that. As I left the building, I heard her laugh at something he said. The silvery notes shredded my very soul. I don't know if she saw me as I left, but I rather hoped she didn't. The last time we ran into each other all I received from her was a look of pity. The rock on her finger showed me how far she had gotten over me.

As I started my truck, I thought back to the day she found out. I came home from work dog tired and still berating myself. Those beautiful blue eyes had been crying and, in a moment, I knew that she knew. I went to her to try to hold her, to try to tell her I loved her, and I was so sorry, but she was having none of it. She yelled and screamed at me. She called me a liar, a slut, a cheating bastard, and anything else she could think of while I stood there agreeing with her. After all it was true, I had stepped outside of our marriage and fucked another woman. I can say it wasn't intentional, I can tell you I never planned it, but none of that matters. I knowingly went to another woman's bed and had sexual relations with her three times over the course of one night. I begged her for forgiveness, I pleaded for another chance, I made all sorts of promises, but it was all for nothing.

I received the divorce papers at work. She asked for her car, along with her 401k, and 300 a week in spousal support for three years or until she graduated or remarried. She left me the house, my truck and my 401k. I thought about fighting it, but why? My lawyer assured me it was a fair settlement and she would probably get more from a judge.

So I signed. I was the Devil and I had made my hell. I sold the house, bought a fixer upper on the west side of town for cash, and spent a year renovating it. I went to work, then came home and worked on the house. I would drink a couple beers, then fell asleep. The three hundred a week hurt at first but eventually I adapted. I started drinking PBR and making my own food as soon as I got the kitchen fixed up. I would watch movies on my tablet and read free books online. I even reread "The Picture of Dorian Gray".

She moved on. A year and a half after our divorce, she got married to a male nurse. I wanted to hate him but by all accounts, he made her happy and I still loved her enough to want the best for her. My spousal support payments stopped and I was flush with cash. My new house was in a very desirable neighborhood. Now that it was fixed up, I could get a good price for it.

I snapped back to the present and made a decision. It was time to leave. I was the Devil, and I had made my own hell, but I didn't have to stay here. A good welder could find a job anywhere and it was time to go forward. I have read stories where one wants to burn the cheating bitch or bastard, I will tell you the flames we bring with us can do an amazing job of just that.

Ahazura
Ahazura
1,633 Followers