All Comments on 'Remembering the Bicycle'

by ribnitin

Sort by:
  • 94 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Who would want a slut for a daughter in law

They’re obviously going to have a foursome pathetic bastards

PowersworderPowersworderalmost 5 years ago

A very poignant and sad story. Poor Phil, losing Cynthia then Millie... his wife's mental decline was tragic.

I'm glad he got a happy ending with Andrea.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Quick query . . .

What happened to the $140k, did the dickhead lawyer get it ??. How could she have signed the divorce papers and been lucid enough to do so. Perhaps another short story/2nd section to explain how the Florida lawyer was taken to the cleaners for fraud and embezzlement.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
But...

What happened to the $140k?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Lovely story... thanks so much!

Loved it from the very beginning.

cordialddcordialddalmost 5 years ago
interesting entanglements kept my attention.

Not sure how I feel about the depth in this story but it kept me reading. The quickly-building relationship with Janet was not complimentary to his morality. Good writing.

A_BierceA_Biercealmost 5 years ago
The long goodbye

is painful and heartbreaking.

TheKrrakTheKrrakalmost 5 years ago
Well that's a new twist

Dementia, hmm - gotta say this story had me from the get-go. I enjoyed the ride and resolution.

5/5

hotprof1973hotprof1973almost 5 years ago
Great twist on the typical cheating wife story

Well written and lots if heart. Really enjoyed it

HighpikeHighpikealmost 5 years ago
A loose end?

Did Brody manipulate the divorce settlement and pocket 140 thousand?

etchiboyetchiboyalmost 5 years ago
Holy-moly!

What a friggin’ twist.

And touched me — my mother has dementia, and last time I visited she didn’t know who I was. I died a little inside that day.

And Ben’s personality you got amazingly well. Not being able to come up with a quick lie in front of his mother when she mentioned marriage until he was gently coaxed with the kick in the shin, and other little details of Asperger’s just right. Very good.

This was really quite brilliant all the way around. My one question is — what happened to the $175,000 check. Did the other lawyer cash it? Were they able to get criminal charges against Brody? Was Brody her lawyer? That was brought up, but then no follow up.

Still — 5-stars & Favorite

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Good

A very good and moving story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Not paying attention.

This was a really excellent story. Just a bit difficult to accept he didn’t have a clue his wife was suffering from dementia before she left for Florida. And his sexual relationship with mother and daughter made him a LOT more insensitive than he was depicted. But a very poignant story nevertheless.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJalmost 5 years ago
Touching story

Good ending. Would like to know what happened in FL to cause bruising and what revenge did they wreak upon Andrew who had to know he was taking advantage of a mentally disabled woman. Something harsh I would hope.

Animefan2929Animefan2929almost 5 years ago
gross

He fucks Janet then gives her to his son. Nasty.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago

Ended tenderly, but I didn’t find the actions of the characters believable through most of the story.

callmesparkycallmesparkyalmost 5 years ago
Tragic

Dementia is the cruelest disease of all. It makes the one you love slowly disappear while you watch helplessly, unable to do anything to help. My wife has early onset Alzheimer's disease and it breaks my heart every time I'm with her. Good story, but so tragic as it hits so close to home.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
A good story, with great potential. Guess you just got tired or bored with it?

If she thought the guy in Florida was her husband she would have signed over the check for $140,000. He probably beat her when she had a lucid moment and started to make trouble for him. I would have expected all his machinations and deception would have led to criminal charges and prosecution. An opportunity missed.

Also obvious that you decided to change the plot and the ending, since the wife planned and acted on her desire to go to Florida, and she knew then it was not to be with her husband. You had a real chance to explore her detachment and dementia as after effects of sending her daughter off to be killed on her bicycle. It would be a subconscious decision that she was no longer worthy of her husband or her marriage, and took up with the abusive asshole in a sick act of self punishment and seeking solace from a man who was as bad as she saw herself to be.

I think the largest stone left unturned was how could the husband allow his marriage relationship to deteriorate so completely without forcing the issue? The badgering and confrontation would have eventually made evident that his wfe's mind was becoming dysfunctional. The husband ends up looking like a shallow careless detached jerk. Which would make his response to Janet's injury even more surprising. He goes all out to help a stranger, but allows his own marriage to dissipate from indifference. The character inconsistency weakened the whole story.

I guess the son ending up with Janet was the most contrived and awkward shift in the plot. I just wonder what made you rush into such a ridiculous plot device.

And unfortunately for your plot and your MC, dementia can totally wipe out the brain while leaving the body completely healthy and otherwise functioning, for years. Just too convenient that Millie was dead in less than a year after being committed.

Yeah, a lot of potential for a dramatic compelling story of loss and rebirth. It really was OK. It could have been a whole lot more. Maybe next time.

penneydog55penneydog55almost 5 years ago
Powerful Story

I thoroughly enjoyed the story!...I enjoyed the massage of Janet. Sad the part of their Daughter being killed on the Bicycle...Dementia is a horrible cruel way to finish your life...Let's face it there is no cure only Delay the inevitable....Thanks You for sharing this Brilliant story with us! 5 Stars ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ WOOF!

johnadpjohnadpalmost 5 years ago
The MC, Andrea & Janet Very Unlikable Characters Masked As Kind People

1. First, he is so unfocused on his wife that he doesn't realize she at least needs to be checked out for her "absent mindedness" of two years. There are medications for dementia, if given early enough prolong greatly the onset of the disease and the severity by many years.

2. He breaks Janet up with her boyfriend without knowing anything about him, for his selfish reasons that maybe he can set up his socially awkward son, and from what transpired himself.

3. He has sex with Janet, even though he wants her and Ben to get together.

4. He has sex with Janet and they both agree they will lie to Andrea so she won't know they had sex for when he gets together with Andrea.

5. He considers getting between Ben and Faith, judging her based solely on her picture. But he is "nice" enough to not get between them, so he just wishes that they break up so that Ben will end up with the hotter girl that he's fucked.

6. He divorces wife of over 30 years without discussing anything with her. And he attempts to fuck over said wife financially.

7. He conveniently decides to ship away his wife to be cared for by others. There are carers who could have cared for his wife at home, and he could have been there to care for her in the evenings and weekends. But that wouldn't have been very convenient for him or Andrea though.

8. Besides being judgmental about Ben's gf on her looks alone, he is totally judgmental about Candace (the black girl) for a little joke she makes. How was that joke that terrible? Was it that it was coming from a black person?

It seems like the two manipulators ended up together. And the third ended up with Ben. The MC manipulating everyone to his master plan on who should end up with whom, and breaking people up left and right. Andrea, getting evidence to get her man of interest to give up his wife, and then manipulates him into selling his condo to make it tougher for him to get back with his wife, and then convincing him to ship off Millie to the nursing home. Janet was another manipulator as well. Poor Millie and Ben are sheep to these wolves.

LickideesplitLickideesplitalmost 5 years ago
A few details ...

Good but sad tale which ended as happily as possible. A few askew details are evident. First, dementia was glaring when (and how) Sweetie1 wrecked the car.

Second was when Sweetie3 waited in the car at the airport, but was still available to take Sweetie1 on to the john (jane?) Finally, the oft commented-on $140K.

5* despite some glitches.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
What happened to

the 75K and the prick in Florida?

john_sixfooterjohn_sixfooteralmost 5 years ago
Well done!

You actually foreshadowed the dementia symptoms, she seemed distant, out of touch, and out of synch. Her final fade and demise, perhaps, was a wee bit hasty but artistic license is a wonderful thing, eh?

It was a wee bit uncomfortable him sleeping with the daughter, then the mother, but, hey, he was human. F 'em if they can't take a joke.

Well done, neat twist, and a good job overall!

DarkerBindingDarkerBindingalmost 5 years ago
So sad

My father lost his battle with health issues at 72 and in the final 5 or so years he suffered from dementia. He was found incompetent and my mother was his guardian and conservator. It was a very difficult time for us. This story was very hard to read but I thank you for giving it to us.

DogFuzzDogFuzzalmost 5 years ago
Well Done

An interesting set of circumstances for your story. Sadness, joy, confusion, more sadness and more joy. The story progressed well until Millie returned and then seemed to speed rapidly to a story conclusion. Probably just as well since it was getting very sad with serious decisions to be made. Story content and illness decision deserved a Five from me. Thanks for sharing.

studebakerhawkstudebakerhawkalmost 5 years ago
Dementia, the long good-bye.

Heck of a lot better plot device than 'hormones' and definitely better than the Martian Slut Ray. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

KingBandorKingBandoralmost 5 years ago
So WTF?

This story seems bipolar. On the surface it reads like a tragedy about a man whose wife has dementia. But really, what happened?

The husband and wife have major issues but the husband doesnt seem concerned. His wife is SEVERELY forgetful... gets HIT BY HER OWN CAR which she forgot to turn off or take out of gear and it CRASHED doing serious damage to the car... then he didn't even think somemthing was wrong.

His wife goes on vacation for 3 months (second year in a row) with a couple who has been divorced for over a year... doing the math... they were already divorced the year before when she went there for 3 months. They said rhe dementia began within the past 2 years (near the end of the story) which means the demtia was minor or non-existant when her friends got divorced. So, she was cheating on her husband before she got bad enough to not know where she was or whom shenwas fucking.

And hubby NEVER spoke the the friends she was staying with in 2 years???? He never cared enough to check on her? Skype? Facetime? How about visiting Florida for PART of the 3 months???

Then he lusts after a young girl and he is asked by BOTH the young girl AND her mother to not start fucking Janet. He wants Janet to marry his son. But, he FUCKS her anyway??? He fucks the woman he wants to marry his son and he NEVER feels any guilt or remorse. He fucks Janet even after Andrea practically begs him not to... and again he feels no guilt. But everyone seems fine with it.

The MC is presented as super sexy, irresistible, super lover, super kind, super perfect.

Then we have Brody... who signed the divorce? He represents Millie, while fucking her... bet he stole the $140,000 too but nothing is done about it?

I liked it, but these things lowered my vote.

KB

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Bull shit

You dont go from normal to flying tonFlorida for three months to fuck a stranger because you have dementia. You see this dementia occur gradually. He would have known she hsd isdues way before the first flight. He dies not handle this diseas well.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Dementia Sucks

My wife has early onset dementia that has become significantly expressed in the past year. She still has her personality, but the descriptions in this story are true to life. I am her memory. I do not wish this on anyone. *****

stillaonewomanmstillaonewomanmalmost 5 years ago
Wow

Now that's a story. Very good.

notredame43notredame43almost 5 years ago
i agree with Stilla... That was a damn good story

Didnt see that coming at all. Nicely done and the following part after the reveal to. you finished it off nicely, didnt just do the reveal and just throw what happens after together too fast. Well thought out and paced. 5 stars

Birdstheword1Birdstheword1almost 5 years ago
Not the most bizarre story I've read on here...

But definitely in the top 10.

ju8streadingju8streadingalmost 5 years ago

heart wrenching story of a mind disease.

good story though

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
I hope the writer did this a a joke and is laughing at the comments

This is a terrible story but well written. I agree with all of KB's points. The MC thinks that he has a great marriage while his lusts after a girl on a bike. He ignores the clues that his wife has dementia despite it running in her family. Letting her leave on her own is like letting your kids play on a highway. Neither he nor his fucked up son check on her. MC's relationship with Janet and Andrea is gross. Anyone who likes the outcome of this story is a misogynist.

reasonable man

deblackbusterdeblackbusteralmost 5 years ago
Not sure how to feel about this story

How could he not have seen that? On the first page of the story you already realize something is wrong, but he doesn't think anything of it.

You also say nothing about what happened to 140k and the scumbag that used Millie.

johnadp also points out a lot of issues he had with the story. Some of them I agree with. This story as a whole was just really weird.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightalmost 5 years ago
This was an interesting story.

At least the plot was interesting. As I read it, several things made me uneasy. It begins with a woman showing signs of dementia which were totally missed by her friends and family. The husband was extremely insensitive, to say the least. Then she leaves for long periods of time and from all indications, he neither speaks with her nor visits her even once. He thinks a young woman that sucks him off and even rides his cock would make a great wife for his son. That seemed odd. He never questioned how the bruises on his wife were caused. He never tries to find out what happened to her money from the sale of the condo. His wife was photographed doing the dirty and being inappropriate in public and he makes no effort to determine why she is behaving so out of character. All in all, the husband came across as a very poor husband, an even worse father, and less than admirable friend.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Interesting, if..

...Not exactly erotic. I dealt with my wife's Mother's issues with Dementia, and it is sad to see them look at their own children and not know them. Oddly, she somehow knew me right up to a week before it was like she simply happily gave up.

Since I know the disease tends to run in the family, I wonder if/when it will show with my wife.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago

If her dementia was so advanced that she would leave to another state for 3 months, fucking another man and believing he was her husband, how the hell did she manage to handle getting through the airport and boarding the plane by herself?

The soup scene makes it seem like the son probably inherited his disability from his father. Now they are more than just father and son. They are eskimo brothers. Perhaps Janet will become a new family heirloom, passed from father to son?

Thanks for the story. It was different.

Cog

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110almost 5 years ago

I have experience with dementia in my mother. It affects everyone differently. The author was correct in referring to it as an insidious disease. It is harder on the those that survive it's victim. They, the victims, are in a world of their own. This is a really good story. It is a sad, but bitte sweet tale well told. A 4* rating.

ribnitinribnitinalmost 5 years agoAuthor
Dementia

I thank you all for your comments, both critical and laudatory.

Dementia is an insidious disease. The Alzheimer's Association says "It's an overall term that describes a group of symptoms associated with a decline in memory or other thinking skills severe enough to reduce a person's ability to perform everyday activities." In some cases it happens rapidly; in others very slowly. Many victims are successful in masking their symptoms, so that their closest friends and families don't realize what's happening. An analogy can be made to the husband who discovers his wife has been cheating on him (or vice-versa) for a long time. Only in retrospect does he see all the clues (such as detachment and apathy), and kick himself for not having recognized the obvious. Understanding Millie's dementia, Phil observes that she may have thought she was doing her inappropriate behavior with him, in which case it wasn't so inappropriate. He gives her the benefit of the doubt as he takes responsibility. It's very hard to know what's in the mind of a person with dementia.

The progression of dementia can be uneven: a person may function perfectly well at one instant, be out of it the next. Severe stress, as from an injury can cause a sudden acceleration of the victims decline. Hence Millie's bruises, calculated to give cause and time to Brody to decide to ship her home; the alternative was for Millie to arrive with a urinary tract infection. Phil sees her bruises, but his priority is her condition at the moment rather than what happened before.

Many people with dementia have long lives with the disease. Others don't. People may forget very ordinary tasks, such as eating, urination or defecation. This can cause severe health challenges. Some people just decline quickly. One thing Millie has retained is her guilty memory about her daughter's death. The story hints that this may have been a trigger for her condition. It could certainly be a trigger for her rapid decline.

For those of you worried about Millie's share of the proceeds from the sale of the condo, it was a certified check. Banks don't cash or deposit big checks without serious confirmation of identity. It wasn't a major issue in the story.

Once again thanks. I appreciate your interest.

oldbearswitcholdbearswitchalmost 5 years ago
Ribnitin, this story was a total HOF fiver!! Thanks for the journey! This tale illustrates the principle of the steak and eggs breakfast.

A few of us used to cook breakfast for all 200 people at work once or twice a year.. We paid for everything ourselves, hotcakes, eggs, hash browns, bacon. As time and costs went by, we switched to link sausage ...and some jackasses complained. I was stunned, but my partner, an old GI cook from the Army explained that some people will complain even if you serve FREE Steak and Egg breakfast!

Some parts of it seemed odd to me, but people getting all high and mighty about the flaws in the protag ought to just drop it. Except HDK, who has the stature to run plot and characters smack on other authors.

Doing homecare when someone needs 24 7 professional care and monitoring, is a form of elder neglect. Y'all shouldn't be so uppitty as to think any home Care is better than a skilled nursing facility. CNAs are miracle WORKERS.

waifwaifalmost 5 years ago
Well Written

There were so many places where I was sure that this story would become cliche. I stayed with it waiting to see if you could write a happy ending without stretching credibility.

Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Wow!

This was an extremely well written, well told story of a very complex problem that invaded a marriage, not understood and badly damaged the marriage. The other facets complicated the issue but with no malice intended.

Wonderful talent! Keep writing.

T.T.

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyalmost 5 years ago
Well written with a twist

It started off written bland to me but did get better. Overall well written, good characters and dialogue. I did NOT see that twist coming. There should be something about going after Millie’s lawyer because he had to have known. The bicycle did play catalyst throughout the story. As I think about this story a lot of nuances were packed into it (quality writing again in the LW section). I liked how it ended. Definitely one of the best I have read in the last month.

Please Do keep writing and I will keep reading!

Rw43Rw43almost 5 years ago
Love the story...true enough to hit home

Yes, he is a shoddy husband to fail to recognize his wife's symptoms, but as the author says, many Dementia patients mask their symptoms. And if she has always been aloof since the death of their daughter, that itself is a background mask.

A good friend is dealing with his wife's early onset Alzheimer's. We have all watched helplessly as this vibrant, confident and capable woman--the principal of an Elementary School by age 30-- lost her confidence to perform the most basic tasks. When her forgetfulness was momentary, like blips on radar, i used to tease her about it; but as it progresses, it has become real gaps in time, and she doesn't understand anymore why i tease her, so I've stopped. When she is in church, where 75% of people know and love her, her husband will escort her to a safe spot and leave her, surrounded by people but only interacting at their initiative, not hers, until he has performed all his necessary tasks and returned to get her. It's so sad that she is a shell of the person she was.

Then there's my good ol' MIL. She has been telling all her kids for 30 years that she has begun suffering from EOA (it runs in the family). At age 80, her brain is still fit as can be according to the neurologist, but she has been such a drama queen about it everyone almost wants her to start suffering so she'll at least deserve some of the pity she keeps asking for. But when you've witnessed its effects, you don't wish it on anyone.

I was glad you gave us some decent sex in an otherwise maudlin story.

And, yeah, i know it's fantasy, but it's kinda kinky that he's had both Mom and Daughter, and Janet has had both Dad and Son. Do Andrea and Ben ever get the chance to complete the circle?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Mixed

Over all, well written. Most of the comments are glowing, but I've got a problem. The first circumstances were that the wife was aloof while at home but spending months away with others, and wildly sexual while away. Even with cognitive issues, a complete personality change while away, then returning to the old boring routine months later is horsecrap. Cool that he stepped up for her, but that shift was bullcrap.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
While most like this story it has problems

Phil has a wife with dementia, sleeps with Janet after helping her from a bike accident, hires janets mother a “attorney” sleeps and fall for her.has them both . Sells Millie & his home out from under her. Discovers she has a mental disease. Then gets his son Ben to hook up and marry Janet. If you can buy into this crazy mess and think it works LOL ...

KRD19254KRD19254almost 5 years ago

Not bad, but a few serious loose ends made it, 4*.

What ever happen to Brody (in FLA) who was a lawyer? Did Millie sign the divorce? Did she cash the check - where is the $140K? Looks as if Brody used her - any recourse/retribution - the story implied as much? If Brody was her attorney for the divorce, to a client that clearly had a mental disorder, he did an illegal act and should be disbarred. Did Brody take her money as his fees?

The sex with Janet distracted from the story and made him to be a lecher (that I suspect was never intended in the story). Plus he cannot hold a promise either - the promise to Andrea (no sex with Janet). He is that amoral letting his little head do all his thinking? This fairy-tail needs to kick him once, and Millie's condition is not good enough (maybe Millie lingering for years not allowing him to marry Andrea)? Dimmensia does not cause organ failure (to a physically healthy 50's year old) - this was just a fast way to end this story on a happy note.

Appears, only Ben was the real man in this story.

hindsight2020hindsight2020almost 5 years ago
A solid 4*

Until Millie came back.

5*

Excellent

c24jc24jalmost 5 years ago
Tough to read - Very good story

Actually makes one want to support further research into dementia and treatments. Veryy, very well done.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitalmost 5 years ago
Extremely good

Overall, an excellent story, told extremely well.

That said, I’m surprised that Phil didn’t pick up on the Alzheimer’s much earlier. He spoke about Millie becoming forgetful, to the point of asking where he’d been when he came home from work. That was when I started wondering.

Then there’s the divorce and settlement. Millie should have been declared incapable of signing the divorce, the filing negated. What happened to the $140K? My guess is that Andrew took the cashier’s check, and promptly packed Millie onto the next available flight. He should have been sent to prison.

etchiboyetchiboyalmost 5 years ago
As I said earlier, my mother has dementia. I recognize it... NOW.

For ages I just thought it was a “senior moment” here and there. Then she stopped driving (she was an excellent driver) about 5 years ago. I only found out months later that the police had brought her home because she drove somewhere in town (that she’d lived in 45 years), and didn’t know where she was, didn’t remember how she got there (well, yes she realized she drove but didn’t remember driving), and thus didn’t know how to get home. It scared her enough to give up driving. Like I said, I only found out why many many months later.

My sister said it sounded like dementia. I kept denying it. “No, she’s just getting a little older.” Early on even her doctors varied on her diagnosis. One said (and I agreed because, now I recognize, I wanted to agree to this milder diagnosis) that she was having micro-strokes. Another was saying dementia. Another was saying Alzheimers.

We finally put her into assisted care. Physically she was ok. She still walked 45min every morning. But a couple of years ago, the evening before her birthday, I called to let her know I would take her to lunch because it was her birthday, and would pick her up at noon. Then the next morning, about 9am, I called to remind her I was picking her up for lunch — she seemed to remember... but maybe not? Seemed, perhaps a little puzzled? Then about 11:30 I called to say I was leaving to pick her up for lunch. She said, “Ok, yes, yes.” Then I got to the “Home” about 11:55, and checked her room, but she wasn’t there. I finally checked the cafeteria and she was seated ready for lunch. She seemed surprised to see me. She’d forgotten I called within 30min of my call. That’s when I truly — in my gut — realized she had dementia.

I finally figure out my mom was almost as “sharp” and as quick as she used to be, so “in the moment” it was difficult to tell the degree of her disability; she covered her impairment well. She just had no short term memory beyond about 10-15 minutes. This was 16 months ago. Shortly afterward we put her into a “memory care” facility.

About 8 weeks ago I visited her again (I try and visit ever 6-8weeks, she lives 4.5 hours away). This time (for the first time that I know) she did not recognize me at first. It felt like I was stabbed in the heart. Throughout the afternoon it would seem like she was almost her old self, then she’d get a puzzled look on her face when looking at me or my wife, then recognition again. I know I should visit her soon, but it’s killing me.

I don’t WANT to see my mom who thinks I’m a stranger. I want to see my mom who has a big welcoming smile on her face when she sees me and asks me if I want her sausage spaghetti tonight. The mom who gave me haircuts because we couldn’t afford trips to the barber on my dad’s E-6 salary. The mom who learned to hand make tortillas from the neighbor Mexican lady because tortillas weren’t in most grocery stores in the midwest in the ‘60s. The mom who made batches of chocolate crackle cookies to take to my 4th grade class through out the year because I brought some to school once for lunch and everybody loved them. Who made dozens of fruit cakes every Christmas to give as gifts. Who handed me a still warm starched and ironed dress shirt right before we left for Mass every Sunday morning. NOT the mother who may or may not recognize me at any given moment.

At least for me, dementia was not recognized early on, even when some of the doctors said it was dementia. My mother's still quick thinking hid the memory loss, until it got too bad for even me to ignore. So this story strikes a genuine chord.

steeltiger01steeltiger01almost 5 years ago
Thank you

That was beautiful. And there's dust in my eye now, damnit.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 4 years ago
Well

Other than him doing the daughter it wa a helluva story. Don’t know why you dropped that gratuitous turd in the punchbowl but awesome otherwise

TailakaTailakaover 4 years ago
Should've known sooner

The garage accident : leaving the keys in the ignition & leaving the car in drive is a Classic sign of dementia. He already called her "Spacey" and knew she had a family history. That garage incident should've been a wake up call.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
The author has no idea about Alzheimer’s!

It works on the mind by rolling back on memories. The person loses their newest memories then continues in reverse. How do I know because a watched my father’s Alzheimer’s at work. First he didn’t know anything in the present then he didn’t know my kids. It progressed to not knowing me, his son. Then not knowing is wife my mother. Then he was 5 years old wanting his mother! Millie would not remember her husband when she was cheating on him. Millie would not have cheated on her husband so it must have happened when she no longer remembered her husband. She can’t then remember her 10 year old daughter. An Alzheimer’s patient does get back their memories.

ribnitinribnitinover 4 years agoAuthor
Dear The Author Has No Idea

If you were such an expert on the subject you would know that dementia is a collection of afflictions which have related consequences. You would know that it is expressed differently in every case. You should learn more ideas.

silentsoundsilentsoundover 4 years ago
You lost me...

When he started fucking around with Janet.

Seriously gross to marry, much less fuck, someone your father has already been fucking.

Otherwise a very good story and well written though I would have liked to see the guy that was fucking Millie pay.

Could only give this 2* for your writing ability because the characters were kind of vile.

CrazyDaveTrucker60CrazyDaveTrucker60over 4 years ago

My mom had the start of dementia. Two years after the diagnosis, she had a massive stroke and she died instantly. Sometimes God is absolutely kind to take a loved one. My ex- mother-in-law is suffering from either dementia or Alzheimer’s—I am not sure which. It’s very painful to see her loosing a bit of her “self” day after day. I pray for her. This is truly a gruesome and despicable malady.

ForensicFossilForensicFossilover 4 years ago

Millie's dementia was crystal clear to almost every reader after the car incident. The husband was a callous moron not to have followed up after that. He was extremely quick to decide she was a cheating slut, when no predisposition to this was shown. Does the husband not know about the Martian Slut Ray??

etchiboyetchiboyabout 4 years ago
@ForensicFossil — re. obvious dementia

I sure the he’ll didn’t recognize it. And, at this very moment, my mother has dementia and it is nothing like what Millie went through in the beginning (except the garage incident). She was very active and seemed fine to us kids, except for a few “senior moments”, then all of a sudden her short term memory dropped to about 30minutes; that’s when we knew.

Maybe you’re a health care provider of some sort so it was obvious to you, but not to some of us laymen. Too, maybe it was the “frog in the pot” scenario for Phil: sex tapering off over a year, the silence between them getting longer and longer over half a year, a few missed signs of other things, but just them piling over a several months.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
This was a hot mess

I don't believe any of it. The signs were obvious. The husband is a piece of sht and so is the kid.

This is a male fantasy and rather misogynistic

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
MISTAKES OF COMMENTERS:

1. Thinking that because they knew about a case of dementia,

that Millie's would follow the same pattern.

2. Thinking that because THEY would have/did recognize(d) Millie's dementia earlier, so Phil (her husband) would/should have.

What we are familiar/unfamiliar with in our background has a lot to do with what we perceive or do not perceive in the present. My background in car mechanics (although I have no FORMAL training) makes things my wife says about our car problems seem stupid to me. Her background/knowledge in cooking makes her sometimes disdainful of my ignorance.

When the dementia was revealed in the story, it took me completely by surprise -- not a wisp of an idea of it beforehand.

Commenter etchiboy has testified that he did not recognize it early on -- neither in the story, nor in real life with his own Mom.

3. Applying real world standards to a Literotica story.

4. Assuming comments are indicative of readership.

4.57 is a high rating for a story in Loving Wives (where

a 4.0 -- maybe 4.2 -- story deserves the red H).

A single rating of 2 stars, requires six 5-star votes to counterbalance up to 4.57.

A higher proportion of readers rated this story highly than those who commented highly.

Footnote on comments. Those who related their own experiences/familiarity with dementia were quite interesting to me and provided a nice addition to the story.

Interesting.

Entertaining.

Unique.

Well-written.

Therefore 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Paul in Oklahoma

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago

Good story about an awful disease. My FIL recently passed at age 74. He had been suffering from dementia since being hospitalized for severe pneumonia. It was awful seeing this wonderful man slip away from us. I think this was a very good story, but I did not enjoy it.

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15over 3 years ago

What happened to the money Millie was sent?

Heartbreaking story.

InfosaugerInfosaugerover 3 years ago

What happend to the guy in Florida? Took he advantage of her dementia or did he just use her as sextoy without knowing of her illness?

What about her money?

someoneothersomeoneotherover 3 years ago

The story was good to a point, although it got really boring with too much uninteresting side issues. However, the story has too many gaps. Given the dialog before Millie left for Florida, how could the husband not have recognized that Millie was not already there? Millie had been going downhill for over a year. And, why did he not go down to Florida to confront her given what he should have known about her state of mind?

How could her lawyer have proceeded to represent her, when the lawyer should have recognized that she was not compos mentis?

Others have noted other missing elements in the story, such as punishing the guy in Florida and question as to what happened to the money.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

damn, I saw it coming and I still balled my eyes out. This was so good.

Although Janet and Ben was thrown together too weirdly considering Janet and Phil were falling for each other.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Probably not a popular perspective

I have no problem with the sex between Phil and Janet or that between Phil and Andrea given what they all believed to be Phil's marital status at the time. Both women were concerned about Phil's ability to cope with what all three perceived Millie to be doing in Florida. Nearly all husbands would be in a very dark place emotionally under those circumstances and would have severe doubts about their appeal to women and their skills as a lover. Having two beautiful, smart and interesting women tempt Phil into some no strings sex was powerfully healing for him. Under the circumstances depicted in the story, few men could have declined those repeated offers over time.

Out of a sense of fundamental fairness, however, I believe Andrea and Ben need to have a few intimate encounters. Balancing the scales between father and son as well as between mother and daughter could prevent problems from festering now and erupting like an abscess in the future. Plus, it somehow just seems to fit into this plot.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Someoneother has my big point. Before Florida.

How could he not take action back then. Especially hitting garage.

Too much.

jtwheels

QuintiusQuintiusabout 3 years ago
Started strong...

... got murky in the middle, had a rushed, bullshit ending with no explanations, no consequences, a hackneyed plot device of a decision maker, and no emotional impact aside from guilt. I gave it three stars mostly for the beginning parts before the MC moved in with Janet. After that it became an unlikeable mess with no real solution for any of the myriad relationship problems introduced. Before any of you say something preachy like, "That's how life is," keep in mind that many of us read to be entertained.

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinionabout 3 years ago

Very touching story. One thing was overlooked, Andrew Brody should have had a pick axe handle liberally used on his knees and balls by an unknown person or persons.

5 Stars.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

WOW that really Hurt, It was so well written I'm in a stage of grieving a fictional character. My empathy is not able to make a distinction between fiction and non fiction so I copped that Sweet right where it hurts.

Wolfgang1955Wolfgang1955almost 3 years ago

What happened to the $140,000?

26thNC26thNCover 2 years ago

Read again. Still a good story that I did not enjoy at all.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Mental dysfunction is a lazy plot device. You sucked all the drama and erotic energy right out of your story with the mental illness ploy. His wife goes from faithful intelligent loving and devoted to a brainless whore to dead in 2 years, and the dumb cuck didn't notice until some guy sends him photos of his wife fucking a former neighbor? During her three month visits he never goes down for the weekend, the asshole never worries about her husband finding out, just dropping in as a surprise? And just to keep his delusion secure, the dumb cuck never investigates his wife apparent mental and physical abuse, never determines if his wife was referring to the asshole as her husband, calling him her husband's name? But you can get away with whatever you need by just reminding us that the husband was disconnected and dispassionate, and his wife was crazy: no fault no foul.

Not even a nice try. How the hell this dreck is rated so highly says way more about the readers and the scoring than it says about the quality of the story. From the ratings of your other Loving Wives stories its obvious you can only fool some of the people some of the time. Very disappointing, its obvious you really tried. Wish I could think of something encouraging or helpful.

jflindersjflindersover 2 years ago

I wondered whether Brodie got the $140K. It was never mentioned after Millie returned from Florida.

I really disliked Janet and Phil having sex when Phil intended ending up with Andrea. Ben and Andrea seemed nice but ended up marrying people that weren't nearly so nice.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago
Stupid

Cant tell your wife is losing her mind?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Dude, the sex with mother and daughter, well, I guess some might find it hawt. Most folks I know think, "Whoa. Not that's messed up." Otherwise, compelling story idea.

AnotherChapterAnotherChapterabout 2 years ago

There were too many things intrinsically wrong here. First off, the clues to the wife’s dementia were all clear before she left for Florida. The husband is supposed to be an intelligent guy but can’t see the deterioration? the next issue is screwing around with the daughter while planning to get with the mother as soon as divorce is final. Bad plan from too many aspects! Who signed the divorce documents and made the negotiations from Florida? That made no sense at all if the wife is not cogniscent. Passing off his son to the young woman he was intimate with? Sick! This story deserves 1 star, just so it can be rated.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Pretty poor. That his wife had either Alzheimers or early onset dementia was obvious in the first few paragraphs. The rest wasn’t any better.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Other than the weird casual sex with mother and daughter, a nice story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Real bad story, every character is amoral

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Enjoyed the story, except for a somewhat uncomfortable motif.

Perhaps because the syntax evoked a ‘swinger’ aspect, not the overall loving atmosphere that was possibly the intended outcome.

bookmadcatbookmadcatover 1 year ago

to me, this is one that is screaming out for the author to revisit and rewrite; the basic idea of the story is quite sound, but some elements just don't read right.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Andrea being a hippie's child explains her and Janet's casual attitude with sex, which was a bit off-putting but did serve a great purpose-burying the lede! The dementia angle actually makes this, to me, one of the most logical LW stories-the wife literally lost her mind! She wasn't there to burn, reconcile with or save from cheating, she was already gone... Sad, but the author works in mysterious ways and he had a new relationship before the old one ended... A bit of a fait accompili, but so is The Watchmen and that's still a good comic. 5 stars!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Going back and reading the beginning, knowing the end, is chilling... The suitcase, the car crash, the incoherent speech and questions, it's all RIGHT THERE, screaming at him and HE was so tuned out, he didn't even see his wife fading... Don't take your loved ones for granted.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

5 Stars on this one . My Great Aunt and Uncle loved each other a lot . Every day My great Uncle would visit his wife in a senior home , Sadly she got so bad she could not remember her own Husband .. That is the meaning of the word sad , She passed away and about a month later he followed her . He could not live with out her

AllNigherAllNigherabout 1 year ago

I enjoyed the story mostly.... But....

The main character is a bit of an ass. He wants to hook the girl up with his son and he can't simply not fuck her even when the mom wants him and he wants her?

Then the black girl thrown in just to clarify that black people are obnoxious, I guess? Meanwhile the other characters are saying and doing stuff much worse.

From the beginning it was clear the wife wasn't all there. That he didn't notice that she couldn't remember things like I'm going out of town alone is nuts. Sorry, but she was made far too dizzy to think it would not be noticed as a problem. And... If she didn't think she was cheating why did she fuck the guy it of town but not him?

Nice idea but could use an overhaul to make more sense... And maybe bring some emotion. Like the MC, I can't along for the entire ride but in the end just didn't have any passion for how things turned out. Fun ride but if expect some feeling of sadness considering the premise of the story

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

A well-told tale. Thank you.

Ed

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman8 months ago

interesting, many parts quite unbelievable and mostly sort of weird.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

I liked it, but the other guy needed some attitude adjustment.

It's one thing to conduct an affair with the wife of a friend. If he then took advantage of her condition... or if that condition was the very cause of his ability to seduce her, then he's filth.

On reflection of Millie's narrative, though, I think it's safe to say that when she started her affair, she knew what she was doing.

She was still living at home, still interacting with her husband, and was cognisant enough to choose to take two 3-month 'vacations', plan them, and manage to get to where she was going in one piece.

That said, it's all academic once the dementia set in.

Maybe the stress of conducting a betrayal helped to exacerbate her condition as well anyway.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous