Renaissance Faire Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rob said, "She told us it was Vivian, but the tramp stamp just above her ass spelled Vivan, so I'm not too certain about her wits or her memory."

Carl smiled at Rob. He was glad he was in this with him, though sorry for the reason. This was the most fun he had had with Rob since he became his son-in-law.

Carl asked, "Did she tell you her age?"

"No. She didn't, but I don't see how she was much over eighteen. Except for her boobs, she probably could have passed for sixteen; especially given that microscopic school uniform she was wearing before she took it off in the back room. I'll bet the bouncers have to check her ID when she shows up to work."

The conversation was upsetting Debbie so much that she got up to leave the room, and Carl yelled, "Deborah Marie Hollis Johnson! Stop right there!"

She had visible tears in her eyes as she turned to face her Dad. Carl said, "It isn't a very good feeling to have someone you love go on and on about someone else, is it?"

She looked very hurt, standing there and listening to her father. He continued, "We didn't go to a strip club, though I would have taken Rob had he asked. We just went to a sports bar down the street. But you should think about this pain a little, because I imagine that is how Rob was feeling when I drug him out of here earlier, while you carried on and on about Richard." Then, turning on a dime to steer the conversation away from all that, he asked, "So, where should we go for dinner?"

The rest of the weekend was awkward for everyone. Debbie felt like crap and Sheila was furious with Carl.

Debbie and Rob left after lunch on Monday, and as soon as they cleared the driveway Carl said, "Sheila, if I ever hear that you in any way encouraged her away from Rob and towards that dickhead, Richard, I swear to God I'll divorce you. We came into our marriage with our own money and prenup, so it will be an easy split. Rob is a good man and doesn't deserve the situation he finds himself in now."

Sheila replied, "Why would you say that? Don't you want our daughter to be happy. She would be much happier with someone like Richard, instead of a dumb maintenance man. At least he could have a conversation with her about her interests."

"Rob isn't dumb. His career just doesn't align with what you want for Debbie."

"Richard can do things for her that Rob never will be able to. She deserves to be more than the wife of someone like Rob," said Sheila.

"Well, when I see Rob, I see someone that works his ass off; has excellent character; came from a good family; will make a good father to our grandchildren; takes good care of our daughter, and would die for Debbie, should the situation ever require that. I think those are good traits, and I doubt that Richard could match up. You might want to think about what really is important versus the superficial things."

Sheila gave her husband an evil look and said, "This isn't the way you sounded after they got engaged. Where was this then?"

"I didn't know him then. I know him now. The more I'm around him, the more I like him. I liked and respected his mother, also. Besides, Debbie doesn't need any man for their money, because one day she will have plenty of ours. So, if money isn't that important, you might want to think about what is.

He continued, "I'm dead serious about not encouraging her Sheila. If I find that you did, we're through. You may think you are helping her. I'm telling you that you are not."

Sheila huffed and returned back inside their home.

_______________

Later that evening, Debbie came and sat next to Rob on the couch. She grabbed his hand and asked, "Are we okay, Rob?"

"I guess that all depends on you, Debbie. I really don't know what to do. You've got to want to stay married, too. I know you like Richard, so yes, I'm worried, but how do I stop this? I cannot tell you not to see him, because you work with him. But if you want me in your life, then you should let him know that you are happily married and stop any conversations that go beyond professional."

She asked, "Are we happily married?"

"Well, I thought we were until Richard moved into town. Now all I do is worry."

Debbie was distraught by that reply. "Why? Why would you worry? Don't you trust me?"

He replied, "Of course I trust you. It's him that I don't trust. Debbie you are a beautiful woman, and I've seen that he's interested in you. I'm counting on you not becoming interested in him."

"Rob, just because his background and experience is interesting doesn't mean that I'm interested in him. I only want one man in my life, and that man is you."

Rob hoped she meant that.

______________

Following up on his conversation with Carl, Rob's first stop the next morning was to find a tutor. He knew just the person. He was sitting on the steps to the ChemE building when he heard, "Hey, Rob. Why are you sitting here?" It was Kate.

"Hey Kate. I was waiting for you. Do you remember offering to tutor me in calculus?"

"Sure. Have you enrolled in Calc2 this semester?"

He replied, "That is going to be my next stop if you agree to help me."

"Of course, I'll help you. Get enrolled and get your assignments, and then we'll find time to get you caught up. Don't worry Rob, you're going to be fine. I promise."

"Thanks, Kate."

She said, "Hey, did you hear the news? Aunt Isobel just told me."

He replied, "No. What news?"

"Let's get a cup of coffee, and I'll fill you in."

Rob was very surprised by what Kate had heard from her aunt. By lunch time, the news was spreading around campus, and Rob wanted to get Debbie's thoughts. He grabbed a few flowers and walked towards Debbie's building, hoping to take her to lunch. Once on her floor, he walked towards the office she shared with another doctoral student, when he heard his wife's laugh, but not in her office.

He followed the sound of her voice and laughter towards its source, which happened to be in Richard's office. The door was open, so he knocked as he walked in. The office was a bit of a mess, with books, magazines and documents everywhere. The only clear places where someone could sit was where Richard was sitting, which was his chair, and the edge of Richard's desk in front of Richard, which is where Debbie was sitting at that moment.

Upon hearing the knock, Richard wondered who was entering his office. He didn't have to wonder long. The look on Debbie's face told Rob that she knew where she was sitting at the moment was a mistake. The look on Rob's face told Debbie that it was.

"Debbie, could I see you in your office for a moment?" He walked over to Richard, who was maybe an inch taller, but weighed considerably less than Rob, and said, "You must be Richard. Debbie has said several nice things about you. I'm Rob, Debbie's husband."

Richard wasn't bothered a bit by any of this. He didn't see Rob as a threat. Richard knew that as long as he didn't screw undergraduate students enrolled in his programs, he was okay. He could see that Rob was bigger, but he'd never worried much about that since he knew good lawyers that could help him get out of bad situations or sue when it worked in his favor.

"Hi, Ron. It's nice to meet you. Debbie, you can come back when the two of you are finished."

Rob didn't miss the dig with his name. As he walked out of Richard's office and towards Debbie's, he wondered if Debbie even heard it. She did. She knew this was not going to be a good conversation.

After entering her office and closing the door, she asked, "did you need something Rob?"

"I'm slowly learning that I don't or shouldn't expect to. I heard something today that I thought was important, or interesting enough to come share with you and get your opinion, hopefully over lunch. However, I can see you've made other arrangements to spend your time with someone else."

"That isn't true, and you know it. You saw his office. There wasn't anywhere else to sit. What was so interesting that you felt the need to come to my office instead of calling?"

Rob was boiling now. "Well excuse the fuck out of me for wanting to see my wife. Did you hear that prick, Finebaum had pronounced that the charities that support the Renaissance Faire will only get to keep 25% of their earnings now? Can you believe that? After all these years of supporting the fair, this is how he pays them back. I can only imagine what Ann thinks about this."

What she said next stunned Rob. "They had been taking in too much for too long. The fair is organized by the school and exists because of this department. We have the right to keep our fair share of the proceeds. Anyway, it was Richard that suggested it to Dr. Finebaum."

"Then he's a prick, too. Clearly you've been drinking the Cool-Aid if you're buying into this shit."

Now she wasn't happy either and replied, "The university in general and this department specifically has plans to use those funds; like research trips. Also, with that money, the university will be able to sponsor more exhibits like last year's Renaissance art exhibition."

He replied, "That exhibit broke even and then started making money after the first week. The university doesn't 'need' more money for those types of exhibits."

With a snarky reply she said, "Well, that exhibit wouldn't have happened without Richard. Besides, who are you to judge? What do you know about money, anyway?"

As soon as she said it, she regretted it. She tried to take it back, "Rob, that came out wrong. I'm sorry. I didn't mean it that way."

With venom in his voice Rob said, "What way, Debbie? It sounded like you are implying that I don't know much about money. Are you suggesting that because my mom wasn't wealthy like your parents that I don't have much experience with money?"

"No. No. I didn't mean to say that."

"So let's take stock for a moment. Shall we? Those clothes that you are wearing were paid for by whom? Me. Most of your car was paid for by whom? Me. Since your teaching stipend doesn't cover all of your tuition, who has paid the difference since we've been married? Uh, that would be me, also. The food on our table has been paid for by whom? Put another check mark next to my name. As a matter of fact, except for a few dresses and about a third of your car, which your parents paid for, every goddamn thing in our marriage has been paid for by me.

"Since I became a supervisor to my first crew, much less my second crew, I've been doing department budgets, and I also have to lay out maintenance schedules and costs on million-dollar pieces of equipment. So how dare you suggest that I don't know anything about money, when it is my money that takes care of your every need.

She was crying now. "I'm sorry, Rob. I didn't mean to say it. I'm so sorry."

Rob opened up his wallet and threw a twenty on her desk. "There! I came up here to take you to lunch or see about taking you home and making us an omelet or something quick, but I've lost my appetite. You can go to lunch with someone that knows more about money than I do."

Rob turned and left her office before he said something that he would regret. He wondered if he had already said too much. Debbie was left behind crying and wondering why she would say something so hurtful to the person she loved more than anyone else.

The rest of the afternoon, Rob was a bear. He told one of his guys that had planned on performing maintenance on an induction furnace to either work on something else or get lost the rest of the day. His employee knew that meant he better go find something to do. Rob grabbed the toolbox and checklist and started taking the furnace apart.

_______________

In Unionville, Ann Greer was not happy. President Finebaum had practically declared war on the town of Unionville and it's residents, by pitting the university against the town. Did he know so little about the history of the university that he would do that willingly? She was stunned at his ignorance, or was it his arrogance.

The entire point of Rose University, when it was created by its founder, one hundred years prior, was to first serve the town of Unionville and surrounding area, not the other way around.

Ann knew that she couldn't take him on directly, but she did have influence with a lot of key people; especially those who would be voting to elect, or reelect, the one third of the trustees whose six-year terms were expiring at the end of the academic year. She didn't think they could force the president to reverse his stance on the charities' share of the fair proceeds without removing him, but she could ensure that whichever trustees were elected for the next six year term were reminded and supported the fact that the university and Unionville were partners, not combatants.

________________

Rob went home much later than normal. He was still having a hard time wrapping his mind around what he saw and what his wife had said.

When he walked in, Debbie was sitting at the kitchen table with her books spread out and laptop open.

As soon as he was inside the door, Debbie was on him. "I'm so sorry, Rob. Truly, I am. I know what you do for us, and I appreciate it. I don't tell you that often enough."

Rob was certain that before that day, she had never expressed it. He said, "I was probably a little emotional, too. After the conversation we had last night, I thought we were okay. Then I heard you giggling, while sitting on that prick's desk next to him. I almost lost it."

She asked, "was I really giggling?"

"Yes. You were. I could hear you as soon as I stepped off the elevator. I'm sure others could hear it, too."

"Oh, shit. I'm sorry, Rob. I keep saying that, but I mean it. I didn't realize I was that loud. Also, you saw his office, it was the only place to sit down, and that was where he told me to sit."

"Debbie, this is where I get worried. Why am I the only one that sees these things?"

She replied, "What things? What are you talking about?"

He sighed, "If I or another male were visiting Richard, would he invite us to sit on the corner of his desk?"

Debbie didn't reply but she knew the answer.

"If Barbara were visiting his office for a while, what do you think would happen? She would stand there until either he removed those books from a chair so that she could sit, or she would simply move them herself. The reason he has his office like that is so he can choose who sits where. So when a cute young coed, or in your case, a beautiful doctoral student enters his office, where is she forced to sit? Right next to him."

Debbie stared at him; stunned by her not seeing this. She said, "And I fell for it."

"You did, which is what has me so worried. I know you admire the things that he's done, but you just give right in to him. If he were to invite you to dinner at his house to review your work, would you accept?"

Once again, Debbie was caught off guard by Rob's question, because in her mind she wanted Richard to continue to review her work, but now she was seeing how inappropriate some things might seem. Less forcefully than she would like to have replied, she said, "I would never do that, Rob. I didn't show good judgement today, but I would never do something like that."

"Well, thank God for that. At least I know there is a line in the sand somewhere. I just hope you can take your eyes off him long enough to see it."

Ouch. That one hurt.

"Rob, I love only you. I told you last night that you are the only man I want in my life. I meant that."

"I hope you do, Debbie, because I'm really worried about our marriage right now. Let me ask you another question. What do you think is the most precious thing that I own? It is the one thing, that I would defend with my life after you."

She said, "I would say this house, since it belonged to your mother and father."

"That's right. Now listen to me. I think he is such a danger to us, that I would be willing to sell this house and move away from here, knowing that it would mean finding a new job and that you would probably lose a semester or two towards your PhD."

She was finally beginning to see the magnitude of Rob's concern. She didn't think he had reason to be so concerned, but for him to say what he just did..., she now knew how worried he was.

"Rob, don't you trust me? You know I wouldn't betray our marriage. I told you his background is interesting, but I'm not interested in him."

"Says the woman giggling on his desk and defending him against me earlier today. Had his door been closed when I arrived, we might not even be having this conversation right now."

She said, "when have I ever given you a reason not to trust me?"

"Well, your actions and mannerisms are not consistent with a woman who sees him as a threat to her marriage."

"That's because he's not!"

"And I'm telling you he is!" Their voices had become raised, and they were on the verge of a shouting match.

Rob shook his head. They weren't getting anywhere. He wondered if he had already lost. Purposefully lowering the volume in the room, he said, "I had a physically tiring afternoon. I'm going to go take a shower and go to bed. Just think about this for me; there was something we were planning to do beginning right about now, but you've been so infatuated with Richard and/or your research that you've completely forgotten about it."

He watched her for a few seconds, and he could see her struggling, trying to remember. "Good night, Debbie."

He was thankful that he had worked so hard that day, because otherwise he might not have been able to sleep.

____________

The next morning, Debbie could hear Rob moving around in the kitchen as she struggled to come awake. She didn't sleep well, because she was troubled by Rob's view of her and their marriage. She wondered how she could convince him not to worry.

She could smell the coffee and hopped into the bathroom for a quick shower. After doing her morning routine, she was about to grab her birth control pills to take one, when she remembered Rob's last comment from the previous night. They were supposed to start trying to have children, and she completely forgot. "Oh, my God," she thought.

She ran into the kitchen, finding Rob sitting at the table, sipping his coffee. She pushed his coffee away and crawled into his lap. "I'm so sorry, Rob. We were supposed to be starting a family now. That's what you were trying to tell me last night."

Rob put his arms around his wife and pulled her to him. He didn't say a word.

"Rob, I can stop taking the pills, and we can start trying if you want."

He loved Debbie, but he sure didn't understand her. "Debbie, I don't think that would be a good idea right now. I appreciate your willingness to do that, but maybe we should let you get your doctorate first and see how things settle with your career. I don't say this to be mean, but your career seems to be in the driver's seat at the moment. We should let your path become clearer before doing something that is life altering, like having children."

This saddened her terribly. She agreed with him, but how had it come to this. A few months ago, it seemed like everything was coming together perfectly. Now, it seemed like her having a family had fallen apart, at least temporarily. She completely missed the reason it had fallen apart.

She wanted to get things back on track in her home life. "Rob, I'm sorry. I am. I don't know what has happened, but I want us to come first."

"I'd like that, too."

"Do you have time to make love before you go to work?"

He replied, "I'll make time."

It was a good morning, but what they needed more than the sex was to talk about how to prioritize their marriage in face of her work and working relationships.

As he was leaving, he told her, "I'm going to work harder on finishing my degree. I'm going to take two classes a semester now. Once you've finished your degree, I may take more.