Renaissance Faire Ch. 03

Story Info
Debbie's infatuation is hurting her marriage.
11.3k words
4.6
34.2k
50

Part 3 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 12/30/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
jmmj5
jmmj5
1,345 Followers

This is chapter 3 in a 7 part series. It will not make sense without reading the previous chapters.

Chapter 3 - Entra nel cattivo (Enter the villain)

Spring 2017

One evening in the spring, when Debbie arrived home from school, she said, "Rob! Guess what?"

"I don't know, what?"

Barbara is being pushed out as head of the renaissance history department. Dr. Finebaum is bringing in Richard, from the art exhibition, to take her place. He wants to put our department on the map."

This was not good news. He trusted his wife, but she seemed too caught up in Richard's background and education to notice his too-smooth ways and generally seeming like an ass. He replied, "Oh, I thought your department already had a good reputation. Also, she's tenured. How can he push her out?"

"Tenure only means that they cannot be fired from their teaching post. It doesn't mean that they are department head forever.

She continued, "As for our reputation, true. We do have a good rep, but instead of being well known in the state or around the south, he wants national or even international attention. He said that art exhibit was just the first step. If the department grows, then they'll need more faculty, which means I'll have a shot at an opening. We can stay here." She was very excited about that.

That would be good news, because Rob didn't want to move if he didn't have to, so he focused on that point. "I hope it works out Debbie. You know that I would love for you to have a position here. It would be good for us. Also, that would be great for you and your colleagues to get the attention you deserve."

"Thank you, sweetie. I'm just so excited. He will be here in time for our Renaissance Faire and will spend the summer getting set up. They are talking about bringing an opera to our theater. Wouldn't that be great? He's even going to teach a graduate class based on some of his overseas studies. I wonder if he would help me finish my doctoral dissertation."

Rob really didn't like the sound of that but didn't want to let on. "He's probably going to be terribly busy, babe. It sounds like Barbara is about to have some spare time on her hands. Hasn't she been helping you the last two years already?

"She has, but she's only been to Italy a couple of times. Richard has spent years studying original documents and art and teaching over there. He just has so much more hands on experience."

Rob just hoped he wouldn't be too hands on; or at least not on his wife.

__________________

The Renaissance Faire was bigger than ever that year starting the traditional graduation weekend. While the Unionville charities, in many cases led by Ann or one of her Ladies Auxiliary 'lieutenants', had their normally good showing and no shortage of workers at the fair, the school made an extra effort this year.

There were more booths and more students helping. There was a lot more signage, which helped all those from the city to know where to park and go. There were more trollies from the parking areas to the fairgrounds; basically, more of everything.

The fairgrounds were technically part of the campus but were really more of an annex a couple of miles away. When the school's founder set up the university, it wasn't part of the original grant of land, but when he passed, he left several hundred acres to the school, which was now the fairgrounds.

Actually, it was a great setting. The Rio Poco (small river) was a boundary for one side of the fairgrounds with woods surrounding the other three sides. Most of the year the river was aptly named, but in the spring, at the time of the fair, with the typical rains, it wasn't very small nor shallow creating what was called the 'moat' during the fair.

Since the site was so spacious, there was plenty of parking on both sides of the river, but only one vehicle-capable, dual lane bridge crossed the river. There was another pedestrian bridge one hundred yards away. During the fair, the vehicle bridge was decorated to look like a drawbridge crossing a moat with guard towers and crossing gates that were left raised but were decorated prominently to draw attention.

For the fair, there were the usual games and booths, plus a new focus on educational attractions with opportunities to try on armour, hold broadswords, storytelling booths and the usual fanfare. Some of the professors from the engineering school had blacksmith booths set up and would make trinkets like letter openers, paper weights and bookends. They also had an impressive array of knives, daggers and broadswords.

There were plenty of food booths, and even tickets sold to be part of the King's Feast, or president's tent, buffet. The tickets were expensive, but the food was supposed to be good and it was an opportunity to hob-nob with some of the university elite.

Debbie had purchased a new costume for the fair. The entire time that Rob had known her, she had worn a peasant's costume, but this year she chose an Italian Renaissance costume. It was a beautiful costume but was much lower cut and showed a considerable amount of cleavage. It looked good on her, and Rob hoped to have a lot of fun pulling the costume off of her in the evening.

He, along with most of the engineers volunteering at the fair, wore a traditional Igor cloak, which was a non-descript, light weight, dark cloak, and allowed him, and the others, to mostly stay inconspicuous and simply show as a helper.

The morning of the first day of the fair, Debbie was super excited, because she, and other professors in her department, were being invited into the King's Feast for lunch before the opening ceremonies. Rob was happy for his wife, because he knew that kind of exposure would be good for her chances of landing a teaching position.

At the fair, after the luncheon, Rob was disappointed to see Richard as part of the president's entourage. He didn't seem to be paying any special attention to Debbie, but he must have been the flavor of the moment because he had a crowd of people surrounding him.

This year, rather than the president and his wife taking their place in the pillory, Richard joined the president. It was clear for everyone in attendance that Richard was the rising star at the university.

During the day, Rob would find Debbie when he wasn't working, and they would spend a few minutes together. She was telling him that some of Richard's former colleagues were in attendance, and she was getting to know them. She seemed really excited about the infusion of new blood into the department. She said that some of his colleagues commented that the Renaissance Faire seemed much more like a medieval festival that a true renaissance festival. They thought they might try to ease it towards a more traditional Renaissance festival with less focus on dungeons and more focus on the artistry of the Italian and British movements. Rob just thought the fair was fun and didn't really see the need for changes. He kept those thoughts to himself.

Later that evening, they did have fun when Rob was given the opportunity to remove her costume.

__________________

After the fair, Rob and Debbie flew to the Caribbean for a weeklong vacation. It was a good time for them, because during the summer she planned to pour herself into her dissertation, which she hoped to complete and defend, and then graduate the next spring.

While there, they discussed plans for after her graduation next May. Rob asked, "Debbie, what would you think about trying to start a family after you graduate? We could try to time it so that you give birth during the summer."

"I'd really like that Rob. I can stop taking my birth control pills in a month or so, and then we can start trying to conceive in the early fall."

He was happy with that answer, and they spent plenty of that week practicing making babies.

_______________

By July 4th, Richard was on campus and occasionally Rob would hear bits and pieces about him, but mostly Debbie talked about the work on her dissertation.

In early August, while at work, Rob was surprised to hear, "Hey, Rob."

It was Kate. "Hey, stranger. I've missed seeing you around. Have you been avoiding me?" He said this jokingly, but the truth was she had been; until now.

"Of course not. Since I'm in chemical and you spend most of your time in materials science, we just don't come in contact very much."

He replied, "Well, I'm sorry for that. I would like to see more of you."

She would like that, too. She said, "well, actually, that is why I'm here. I need some support setting up some equipment on a research project I'm starting in the fall. At some point, one of your crew will probably be involved, so I thought I would bring it to you and get your thoughts in advance."

He smiled at her, "Oh, so since you are the dean's niece and happen to know the maintenance guy you were hoping for preferential treatment?"

She had missed that smile. She would like to have a true friend in her life, even if he was married. She replied, "Damn, straight. What's the point of knowing the head honchos if I don't get to take advantage of them?"

"Too bad I'm married, otherwise, I'd love for you to take advantage of me."

She liked that reply, though she knew he wouldn't act on it. However, she was beginning to hear some rumors around campus that weren't good, not that she was going to share them, yet. "Rob, you're the most married guy I know, but if you weren't..." She let the sentence hang and gave him coquettish smile.

She led him into the lab area in the chemical engineering (ChemE) building to show him what she had planned. He had missed her smile as well.

________________

When classes began in late August, on a Friday evening, Debbie came home with another announcement.

Rob had gotten home early to cook dinner for them. Debbie had been so busy working on her dissertation during the summer, that she spent most of her time in the library, which meant not as much time for the couple. Rob was trying to do some nice things for her because he knew this last year would be a hard push to prepare for her defense of her dissertation in the spring.

When she arrived home she said, "Mmmmm. Something smells good. What'cha making?"

"My mom's lasagna."

She asked, "Ohh. What did I do to deserve this?"

"You've been working hard, and we haven't been able to spend as much time together as I would like. I thought I would make something nice. I have a bottle of the wine that you liked from Napa chilling."

Debbie reached around Rob and gave him a squeeze. "Thank you, sweetie. You're so good to me."

"I try."

"I know you do." He could see her lost in thought for a moment. Then she said, "I have some interesting news. Because of Barbara's being removed from her department head position, she and Felicia left."

"Oh, wow."

"I know. Richard already has a couple of people lined up to take their place."

Rob said, "That sounds awfully convenient. Has this been planned?"

She replied, "I don't know, but I think it will be good to get some new blood into the department."

"If it was planned, then that seems kind of cold blooded."

She said, "I think you are reading too much into this. Barbara was angry about being demoted and Felicia was the closest to her. There are a lot of rumblings going on within the department right now, but Richard is bringing in new ideas and they need to get on board."

"Are all of his ideas good ideas? Is he trying to sell everyone on them, or just demanding that everyone acquiesce?"

With a little more force than she intended, Debbie said, "He's doing what needs to be done. I don't have any problems with what he's trying to accomplish."

Rob wondered about that. "You may not, but people that have been around a long time sometimes need a little persuading. I'm not saying he's wrong, but sometimes people don't like being told what to do. Even though I can tell any of my people what they have to do, it's better for me to guide them towards discovering the right thing and then encouraging them to do it versus dictating to them all the time."

"Well that may work for a bunch of mechanics, but for the faculty, sometimes they just need to get with the program."

He asked, "what do you mean by 'a bunch of mechanics'?"

"What?"

He asked, "do you mean that a bunch of mechanics are easier to herd into doing what you want? If so, why?"

She backpedaled a little, "Oh, sweetie, I didn't mean it in a bad way. You've been around faculty enough to know how big their egos are. If it isn't their idea, they get all bent out of shape. I'd be surprised if your workers have the same egos that my colleagues have. At least, I hope they don't."

Rob said, "And your ego?"

She laughed, "I cannot afford to have one right now. I need to please too many people. Until I have a position on staff and then tenure, I'll be doing what everyone else tells me."

He asked, "So if I told you to go back to the bedroom and get naked?"

"I would ask if we have time for you to join me in the shower."

He smiled and said, "We do."

She replied, "Goodie. Let's go."

It was a race to the shower, and they enjoyed themselves very much while in there. Rob loved her body and missed getting to see very much of it. Debbie was five feet, five inches tall with long sandy blonde hair, which she usually wore up in a bun or pulled back. She wasn't very toned because she didn't have time to work out, but she was still thin with a nice breasts to waist to hips ratio; beautiful curves. She wasn't quite a C cup, but they fit her frame well. He thought she was a beautiful woman and always loved bathing with her.

Afterwards, it was a good romp and they enjoyed their food and their evening together. It was the best night they'd had in a while.

Before they went to sleep, she told him, "I need to spend tomorrow afternoon at the library."

"Crap."

"I know that between my research and teaching that freshmen class, this is going to be a rough year, babe, but if I get one of those positions that are expected to open in the department, it will all be worth it."

"I know, I know. I just miss you. I know I have a wife; I just don't get to see her as much as I would like.

"Don't worry, sweetie. Things will get better."

He hoped so.

_______________________

The next day with Debbie working, Rob decided to catch up on a little paperwork in his shared office on campus. He worked until around 4:45 and decided to drop by the library to see if he could visit with her or maybe see when she would be finished for the night.

As he drove into the library parking lot, he saw Debbie exit the building and turn to walk towards the building where her office was located, except she wasn't alone. She was walking with Richard with her arm through his while he carried her messenger bag. They were laughing and having a nice conversation; they looked like a couple.

Rob didn't park, but instead drove straight home. He was fuming the whole time.

He had been home for about thirty minutes when he heard the garage door open.

Once inside she asked, "Hey, baby. How was work."

"Aggravating. How was your research?"

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Mine was good. About halfway through, Richard saw me and stopped by. He gave my work a quick review and made some suggestions to improve it."

Rob replied very flatly, "That's nice."

She didn't offer and Rob didn't ask about their leaving the library together. He doubted anything could have happened in such a short period of time at their office, but he didn't like how close the two of them seemed. He trusted his wife, but he worried that she was too trusting in Richard.

____________

The week before Labor Day, the tickets for the Opera, Tosca, went on sale, and being in the Renaissance department, Debbie arranged for some that were front and center of the school's theater.

For Labor Day weekend, Rob and Debbie made a trip to see her parents in the city. Rob got along fine with her dad, though her mother wasn't the friendliest person to him. He suspected that most people that knew Sheila and Carl would say the same thing.

They arrived on Friday evening, and Debbie was more than happy to tell everyone about all the exciting new things that were happening in her department from the new department head to the new faculty. She was regaling their histories and travels, and how she hoped to have the opportunity to study at some of the places that they have.

Rob and Carl just sat and listened, occasionally casting each other sympathetic looks.

On Saturday, after lunch, Sheila asked Debbie how her dissertation was coming along. That opened the floodgates. Debbie started with what she was working on and quickly switched to some of the enhancements that Richard suggested. As Sheila became more engaged, the two men began hearing from Debbie, "Richard this..." and "Richard that...". Before long it was Richard, Richard, Richard.

Carl was watching the steam come out of Rob's ears. Finally, he stood and said, "Come on Rob. I've had about enough of this."

Sheila asked, "where are you going?"

"I'm taking Rob to a titty bar. Hopefully we can find him a pair of boobs there that will capture his attention as much some other man has captured the attention of his wife, our daughter. Come on Rob. Let's go."

The two women looked on in astonishment as the men walked out the door. Before they had pulled out of the garage, Sheila and Debbie were at the door calling to them to come back. The men kept on going. Moments later, their phones were ringing, but they switched them off.

Carl said, "I'm sorry about that Rob. We don't have to go to a strip club, if you don't want to. I was just pulling Sheila's chain. There is a good sports bar nearby if that's okay."

Rob replied, "A sports bar sounds good."

With a ton of college football playing in the background, Rob shared what was going on with Richard; or at least what he knew of Richard; the slick style at the art gallery, how close the two of them seemed on their walk back to her office, her keen interest in him. He confessed to Carl that he worried she was finding more things in common with Richard than himself because they shared their work and were both passionate about it. He told Carl how he couldn't accept infidelity in a spouse, and Carl agreed.

Carl said that he understood and would keep an eye on the situation and see what Sheila had to say. What he didn't share with Rob was that this was concerning to him also. He hoped his daughter would realize that she was in dangerous territory. He would make a point to call her soon and try to prevent her from making a big mistake.

He did say, "Rob, you've been a good son-in-law and husband, but I would like for you to consider one thing, though. I know you sit in on classes for your job, but you should probably consider finishing your degree. The reason why is in case you should need to move. You have great experience, but a degree would only help you. I know you think it isn't necessary, but the new president keeps shaking things up. What's to say that one day, he shakes things up enough that Dean McVicar decides to leave and gets replaced by an asshole, like the president? That wouldn't be a good situation, so try to think a little longer term."

It was good advice, and Rob would spend some time thinking about it.

Several hours after they left, they returned back to Carl's home. Carl said, "I'm not planning on telling them we ended up at a sports bar; at least not initially. I want to get my pound of flesh first. Just follow my lead."

Rob nodded his assent.

As soon as they walked back in the house, Sheila looked indignant and Debbie looked worried. Sheila said as sarcastically as she could, "Well, did you two have a good time?"

Carl smiled at Rob and replied, "Damn straight. I had hoped to find a good-looking girl to capture Rob's attention, but I wasn't prepared for the one we met. My God! She had the most spectacular boobs I've ever seen. I've never seen boobs that big not sag. She bet me $50 bucks that I couldn't guess correctly if her boobs were real or not. I swear that I spent ten minutes in the back room with her trying to determine if they were fake or real. They sure felt real, but in the end I couldn't tell and paid her the fifty. I offered to pay for Rob's turn, but he declined. What was her name, Rob?"

jmmj5
jmmj5
1,345 Followers