Renegades, Mages and Rogues Ch. 02

Story Info
Varric realizes he loves Hawke, and acts on it.
3.9k words
4
2.9k
1
0

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 01/03/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The next few days flew by for Varric. That morning he woke and quickly dressed in the newest set of armor the Inquisitor had given him, and pulled his duster on over that. Bianca settled between his shoulders on his back, a comfortable and welcome weight. He made one last check of his pack and his bolt quiver before he left his room. The party the Inquisitor had chosen gathered in the courtyard. The Iron Bull stood next to his large draft horse chatting with Dorian.

Varric went to his own mount, a tall pony, just right in size for a man of his height. He fed the pony a piece of apple, purposefully left over from the dwarf's breakfast. Varric really didn't have much experience with horses, but so far he seemed to get along with the beast. He loaded his pack and walked over to Bull and Dorian, while they waited for the Inquisitor.

Bull perked up when he saw the dwarf, "Hey Varric, did you get that thing I asked about?"

"It should be here the next time we get back. Not easy to find, by the way."

"How do you guys live without this stuff?" The Iron Bull's eyebrow lifted in shock.

"I don't see what the deal is, honestly, but different tastes."

"Now I just need some hot milk and some of those Orlesian guimoauves to put in it."

"Hey, whatever you do with this 'cocoa' is up to you. I don't need to hear about it." Varric shuddered and started to move back towards his pony. Suddenly, he heard Iron Bull give a long slow intake of breath. Not a gasp, almost the opposite, like a sigh. Varric turned and saw Inquisitor Corwyn coming down the stairs from the keep. Varric shocked himself by not grinning, but he turned to look back at Iron Bull. The big qunari was already turning to his giant horse, and Varric wondered if he'd imagined it.

The party mounted up and in no time was on their way across the stone bridge from Skyhold. Mounted, it took them a couple days to get up to Crestwood. They arrived during a cold, dark, drenching rain. They found the forward camp and Varric was surprised to see the normally chipper Scout Harding looking more like a drowned rat than a dwarf. Of course, he couldn't blame her much. They all dismounted and waited while Corwyn consulted with Harding about the area. Varric stood, the collar of his duster pulled up as high as he could get it. Good thing it was a little oversized, so he could keep most of the wet off Bianca. As it was, it might be a good idea to oil her every night until the rain stopped. At this point, he couldn't wait for them to set out and find Hawke.

~*~

It took them three more days before they walked up a hill towards the cave where Hawke was waiting. In that time, they'd fought a castle full of bandits, drained a lake, and closed a rift in the bottom of said lake. At least once they'd taken the castle they'd been able to claim it for the Inquisition and have warm dry beds and hot meals. Miraculously once they'd closed the rift in the lake, the rain had stopped. It worked really well, dramatically, but Varric didn't want to think about how a tear in the fade could affect the weather.

The cave had a wooden gate, or door, across it. Painted on the door was a white skull wearing a red bandana across its eyes. Before that was a lone figure, lithe and slender, sitting on a large stone, a staff across her knees. Hawke slid off the rock, as they approached. She sent a warm smile to Varric before clasping the hand of the Inquisitor.

"Glad you made it. I just got here myself. My contact with the Wardens should be at the back of the cave." Hawke told them, before leading them inside.

Varric watched Hawke as Warden Stroud talked to the young women about the Wardens and Corypheus. He could see Hawke getting angrier and more animated. Not at Stroud, but the whole situation was shit. Before long it was time to go. Hawke and Stroud were going to meet them at an old Warden outpost in the Western Approach. Lucky for him, Hawke planned on staying with them in the castle before leaving in the morning with Stroud.

As the group walked across the fields, Hawke and Varric walked side by side talking and laughing. Varric was very aware how close Hawke was walking to him, her hand almost touching his with each swing. Of how her eyes shined with mischief. A part of him wondered if she was aware of how close they were physically. Another part of him was terrified that she was aware.

Varric hadn't realized how far behind they'd lagged behind until a shout caught both of their attention. The Inquisitor had stumbled over a rift in an abandoned farm field. Demons, walking dead, and even a dark spawn emissary had appeared. As they ran to catch up, Hawke pulled her staff and called a fireball storm to rain down on the field of battle. Instantly Bianca was in Varric's hands, singing as he launched bolt after bolt into the fray.

As a shade fell Varric shouted out, "Another one for me! How many have you got, Hawke?!" Bianca was magic in his hands, and fighting beside Hawke felt right and comfortable, like pulling on an old glove. He knew without looking that Hawke would be forward of him, towards the rift, and a little to the left. She'd always trusted him to watch her back, and they fell into their normal battlefield routine easily.

He looked across the field, scanning for another target he saw a green glow begin behind Hawke. A terror demon popped out of the ground behind her, throwing the mage down. Snarling, Varric brought Bianca around and rapid fired three shots right into the thing's face. He ran forward, releasing Bianca's bayonnet. "Bianca, baby, introduce yourself!" He shouted as he sunk the blade into the demon's gut. The demon shattered. Varric spun around to find Hawke on the ground behind him, leftover frost from her spell leaking from her fingers, her eyes wide.

Varric put Bianca on the ground next to Hawke as he put his hand out to pull Hawke to her feet. He ran his hands up her arms, spinning her around so he could look her over. "You alright, Marian?"

"I'm fine, Varric." She pushed him aside, swinging her staff at another demon that was coming for his back. He pushed down his feelings and snatched Bianca up again, and resumed picking off targets.

Suddenly there were no more enemies. Corwyn stepped forward, she held her hand with the anchor toward the rift, closing it. The blonde elf sunk to her knees. Dirt and blood mixed on her chest, where she'd caught a magic blast from the emissary. The Iron Bull stepped forward, a healing potion in his hand. He uncorked it with his teeth and helped her drink it, leaning her against him. Dorian also stepped forward, casting a healing spell on her. The elf looked up, smiling at both men who looked at her with concern in both their eyes. Bull helped her up, his arm lingering around her shoulders, perhaps a little longer than was necessary, before Corwyn turned and led them towards the castle.

Varric looked up at Hawke to see if she noticed. She looked down at him an eyebrow raised. Varric just smirked. He hid his fear from the battlefield behind that turn of his lips. Yes, he'd been terrified when he'd seen Marian go down. So terrified he'd put Bianca down in the middle of a battle. Thinking back about it sent chills down his spine. Nobody ever recovered from being thrown down by a terror demon right away, but the sight of her on her back with that demon screaming above her... Varric shuddered and pushed the thought away.

~*~

Varric collected a plate of food and walked to where Hawke sat, staring into the fire, her plate in hand. He sat down next to her, arms almost touching. Hawke smiled absently at him as he began eating. It wasn't as good as what they got at Skyhold, but it wasn't bad for camp food. He slowly ate, waiting for Hawke to talk. He knew she would, at some point, but not until she was ready. Varric sipped his ale and took another bite, willing to wait. Hawke sighed and Varric smirked. Here it came...

"Varric, do you miss it?"

Varric chewed and swallowed. "It?"

"Kirkwall."

"Sometimes.

"Think you'll go back?"

Varric turned and looked at her, his whiskey eyes catching and holding her cerulean ones. He felt as if he was falling into the depths in those eyes. "As soon as all of this is done and the mess cleaned up, I'll be on the first boat back to the Marches. Doesn't even matter where the ship lands, I'll get myself back to Kirkwall." His words said 'Kirkwall'. He knew his eyes said 'You'.

Varric put his mostly empty plate down in front of him and put his arm around her, pulling her in. She leaned towards him and put her head on his shoulder. He placed a chaste kiss in her hair and turned back towards the fire.

For a moment, Varric struggled to keep his breath level and even. He almost kissed her, really kissed her, and he knew she knew. She had to have. She'd deliberately turned away, accepting his hug, but not his kiss. He felt like he'd been kicked in the teeth, but he refused to show it; show her. He was her best friend, and she was his. She was the hero, and he was the side-kick. Nobody fell in love with their 'trusty dwarf'.

~*~

Several weeks later they were in the middle of a siege. They had met Hawke and Stroud in the Western Approach and had discovered what was going on with the Grey Wardens, what Corypheus had manipulated them to do, with the help of his Venatori. The confrontation had ended with several Grey Wardens dead, along with the demons they'd called with blood magic. Unfortunately, the Venatori who was leading the ritual got away, the trail leading to Adamant fortress. The Inquisition War Council had decided it was time to attack and hopefully release the Grey Wardens from Corypheus' control.

Hawke, Stroud and several scouts had stormed the walls, once they'd been softened a bit by Cullen's trebuchets. Varric waited with Corwyn, Bull and Dorian as a force of troops moved a battering ram into position. As soon as they had the main gate down, they breached the fortress. Varric had little time to worry about Hawke, while he and Bianca fought demon after demon, and no few Wardens. Before he knew it they'd caught up with Hawke and were entering the central courtyard to face down Warden-Commander Clarel and the venatori mage Erimond. Varric didn't listen much, as he scanned the battlements for somebody going for either the Inquisitor or Hawke's backs. He felt like he should have paid a little more attention, because suddenly Erimond ran off, Clarel in hot pursuit while the Inquisition was left fighting demons from a large rift in the courtyard, while a dragon flew around spewing what looked to be red lyrium.

As soon as they demons were cleared, and the rest of the Inquisition army had caught up, Corwyn and the rest chased down Erimond and Clarel. While dodging the dragon, they caught up to the two mages on the walls over the abyss. Just as Clarel knocked out Erimond, the dragon grabbed her. It tossed her like a rag doll and threw her broken body back on the ramparts. As the dragon began stalking them, Clarel blasted it, her last effort in the battle against Corypheus. Unfortunately, the blast caused the walls to collapse, pulling the Inquisitor and her party into the abyss.

~*~

Hawke woke, and lifted herself from the ground. She shook her head to clear it, instantly regretting the action. The last thing she remembered, they were falling and a bright green light. As she looked around, the only thing she recognized was the greenish hue to everything. With a sinking feeling she started to realize where she was. It was different than when she'd been in the fade before, completely different. Except for the green haze.

Once they had regrouped, everyone's fears were realized. They were in the fade, physically. Varric came to her side, and she placed her hand on his shoulder, taking reassurance from his presence. The dwarf turned, placing one of his large hands over hers and squeezed. A ghost of smile flitted across her lips as she nodded to him, but she knew he could see her fear. He was probably the only one who could, since he knew her so well.

As a group, they decided to move towards a distant green light, which they speculated would be the other side of the rift in the courtyard at Adamant, and a way for them to escape. As they moved, they fought off the occasional demon and shade. Hawke noticed that the Quinari, Iron Bull, stuck by the Inquisitor, obviously guarding her. Occasionally he'd put out a reassuring hand, and it seemed to steady both of them. Maker knew, having Varric close by was a steadying effect for her.

She'd suspected Varric's interest for years, outside of story fodder, but it had never been the right moment to approach him. That was her excuse anyway. First, the Quinari attack on Kirkwall, then Anders started the mage rebellion, and then she had to leave to avoid the Exhaulted March. Even as she'd been in hiding after Seeker Pentaghast had released him, she knew that he would come to her if she needed him. Now, they were fighting side by side again and she was afraid. What if she was wrong? What if she was right? What if it ruined their friendship by even talking about it? And what if something happened to either of them?

As they rounded a turn, the Inquisitor gasped. Before them stood a woman who looked surprisingly like Divine Justinia. Hawke suspected it was a demon, but Corwyn addressed it as though it was actually the Divine. The 'Divine' told the Inquisitor that her memories needed to be regained by killing the shades that hold her memories. As she did so, some it came back and all were able to see the Divine held captive, and Corwyn receiving the mark.

"So, your mark did not come from Andraste. It came from the orb Corypheus used in a ritual." Stroud observed.

The Divine explained how Corypheus planned on ripping open the veil to gain the Black City for his own uses.

"Those were Wardens holding the Divine captive. Their actions led to her death." Hawke pointed out, to an angry Stroud.

"I assumed he had taken their minds, as you have seen him do before. Come, we can argue after we escape." Stroud reasonably returned.

They continued through the fade, fighting demons and shades as they went. Suddenly a voice, insidious and slippery, deep and rumbling, filled the air, taunting "Perhaps I should be afraid. Facing the most powerful members of the Inquisition." It chuckled. The chuckle was evil, and Hawke doubt any of them didn't have a shiver of cold go down their backs at the sound of it.

"The Quinari will make a lovely host for one of my minions. Or maybe I will ride his body myself."

"I'd like to see you try." Iron Bull growled under his breath. The Inquisitor placed a hand on his arm.

"Greetings Dorian. It is Dorian, isn't it? For a moment, I mistook you for your father." The voice intoned.

"Rather uncalled for." Dorian returned, sounding chipper and as confident as ever.

"Did you think you mattered, Hawke? Did you think anything you ever did mattered? You couldn't even save your city. How could you expect to strike down a god? Varric is going to die, just like your family, and everyone you ever cared about."

"Of course, a fear demon would know where to hurt us most. We must ignore it." Hawke commented.

"You're a failure, and your family died knowing it." The Nightmare added.

Varric felt surprise that the Nightmare even mentioned his name when it taunted Hawke. Why would the Nightmare mention him?

"Once again, Hawke is in danger because of you, Varric. You found the red lyrium. You brought Hawke here..."

"Just keep talking, Smiley" Varric growled.

The nightmare chuckled cruely in reply. The sensation of ice sliding down his spine made Varric realize that the demon knew. Somehow it knew about his feelings for Hawke, and she was right. It knew right where to hit to hurt the most.

"Warden Stroud. How must it feel to devote your whole life to the Wardens, only to watch them fall? Or worse, to know that you were responsible for their destruction. When the next blight comes, will they curse your name?"

"With the Maker's blessing, we will end this wretched beast." Stroud said confidently.

They continued through the fade, fighting demons and gaining back Corwyn's memories. Finally, they made it to the Nightmare. They battled it's lesser fear demon and its fearlings, until they could make their way to the fade rift beyond. Dorian and the Iron Bull jumped through the rift. Hawke hesitated with Stroud and Corwyn. The giant spider that was the Nightmare lurched at them, cutting them off.

"Go! I'll cover your escape!" Hawke shouted.

"No, you were right, the Grey Warden's caused this. A Grey Warden should fix it." Stroud replied.

"A Warden must help them rebuild! That's your job. Corypheus is mine." Hawke replied.

"Andraste's tits, Hawke!" Varric shouted.

Hawke turned, surprised to find the dwarf still by her side. She was surprised, but she wasn't. Varric never willingly left her. "Varric, I..."

"No! If you stay, I'm covering your back, like I always do."

"Stroud!!" The Inquisitor shouted, as the Warden took advantage of their distraction to charge off. "Go, quickly! Don't let his sacrifice be in vain!!" The Inquisitor shoved at Hawke, who pushed Varric.

~*~

Varric fell, ungracefully, to the ground and scrambled to get out of the way of those behind him. First the Inqusitior jumped through, landing neatly on her feet, with Hawke right behind. The mage tumbled, and came nimbly to her feet. She ran to Varric and helped him up, while Corwyn turned and closed the rift.

Cheering went up around them from the Inquisition soldiers and Grey Wardens. Hawke, her hand still on Varric's shoulder looked around them. Varric reached up to her shoulder and pulled her around to him. "What in Andraste's ass were you doing in there?!" He all but yelled, anger seethed in his eyes. Anger and fear.

Surprised, Hawke stammered back to him, "I... I was trying to save you and everybody else. What do you think I was doing?"

"How could you do that to m... I can't believe you would... I..." Varric didn't seem to be able to get a coherent thought out around the terror of the idea of living in a world without her in it. He stared at her a moment, his heart tight and his breathing rapid.

"Varric...?"

"Aw, fuckit." Varric said. He reached up and pulled Hawke down until her lips met his, his fingers buried in her hair at the nape of her neck. It was a sweet and tender kiss, and he tried to express all his love and his fear for her in that moment. When he finally released her, she pulled back a little, looking him in the eye. She smiled and kissed him again, deeper this time, opening her mouth for him. Varric growled as his tongue swept inside to slide against hers, his hands cupping her face tenderly. Slowly, he became aware of the cheering around him. He made out Bull's and Dorian's voices, close at hand. Reluctantly, he released Marian, opening his eyes. She straightened, slower to open her eyes. When they did open, they met his. A blush stole across her face. "I love you, Marian. I have for years."

"I know." She smiled at him, her eyes warm as she looked at him.

A heavy hand smacked Varric on the shoulder, almost knocking him into Hawke. "Its about time!" Bull laughed.

While they had been occupied with each other, Corwyn had settled the matter of the remaining Grey Wardens, taking them into the Inquisition as allies.

"What will we do without Stroud?" One Warden soldier asked. "He was the most senior of us!"

"I will send for my brother, Ser Carver Hawke. He will help you rebuild."

"As you say, My Lady Champion." The Warden said.

Varric smiled at Hawke's declaration. Junior wasn't going to like her assigning him a task, but from what he'd heard from Aveline, the Warden was chafing in his confinement. He was already formulating the letter he was going to have to send out to them. Soon, Corwyn gestured to her companions that it was time for them to leave. She left the rest of her soldiers to help the Wardens clean up the mess and they left Adament for their camp outside the fortress. As they walked, Varric pulled Hawke close to him, his arm around her waist. She rested her arm across his shoulders. Their positions felt very comfortable and natural.

12