Rex Harrison PI

Story Info
Rex Harrison PI saves the Gold Digger.
11k words
4.7
6.3k
6
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mickey Spillane contest - Rex Harrison PI

Rex Harrison PI saves the Gold Digger

The few unbroken lights cast asylum shadows in the corridor of the musty-smelling hallway. Severely worn and threadbare, the carpet barely padded the footsteps of the spit-shined shoes as the man walked unhurriedly down the hallway. The aged and torn wallpaper projected fingerlike into the space, and walking down it, one unconsciously tended to stay in the middle of the hallway. His unbuttoned aging trench coat flowed with each step opening, displaying his out-of-style grey suit. The knotted but pulled-down tie on his open-collared white shirt and his rakishly angled fedora rounded out his attire. Arriving at his destination, a door, half opaque glass not allowing one to see what was inside, he deftly inserted the key. The neat lettering on the door read Rex Harrison Private Investigator.

The door swung open with a slight squeak to reveal the room's contents. A desk faced the door, two chairs in front of it and backed by a bay of grimy windows. The inbox on one side was decidedly devoid of papers, and on the other side was a rotary phone with a cylindrical pen holder, one lonely pen, and a pad. A banker's lamp dominated the center of the desk, but beyond that, it was devoid of decoration or ornamentation. A free-standing coat rack was to the rear right of the desk in front of the windows, and a set of low bookshelves, strewn haphazardly with papers, was directly behind the desk. The back of the swivel chair stood behind the desk sideways, left as the last inhabitant had left it by simply turning and rising. The same dingy and worn carpeting covered the floor as in the hallway.

To the right was a smaller desk that was neatly arranged and seemed out of place, having pictures and all the accouterments female juxtaposed to the decidedly male sterility of the desk he placed his briefcase on. The profound musty smell of the corridor was replaced with a weak floral scent, oddly feminine but not powerful enough to overcome the decidedly unkempt odor of the musty hall. Again there was a free-standing coat rack beside the desk to the rear with bookshelves neatly organized. A small filing cabinet of two drawers sat beside the desk.

Rex removed his trench coat and hung it on the coat rack, placing his fedora on top. Then he doffed his jacket, revealing the shoulder holster holding the 1911 45 caliber pistol he carried throughout the war. It had gotten him through many scrapes, and Rex would go nowhere without it. Sitting, he opened the lower left drawer of his desk and pulled out his bottle of Jack Daniels. The government banned whiskey production from 1942-1946 because of the war. That didn't affect him because he was too busy fighting and trying to stay alive. They had resumed production, and he needed his morning eye-opener.

He poured two fingers into a glass he couldn't remember the last time he had washed. Helen, his secretary, would occasionally sneak it out to clean, and he silently thanked her as he took a large pull from the glass. His watch told him she would soon arrive and, because the business had been slow, had determined to look busy. As blunt and dower as he was, he enjoyed her feminine presence and wanted to keep her around. The war had taken a lot out of him, especially empathy, and he knew the violence and horror that his so-called fellow humans could perpetrate. He also knew that no one was exempt and drained the glass attempting to dispel the memories of what he had done.

He replaced the bottle and glass, the scent of the whiskey lingering in his nose. The warmth it gives had begun to envelop him when the door opened, and Helen entered. She was a lovely dame, about five-foot-three. Her blond hair shone in Pin-Up Victory Rolls that accentuated her long neck wrapped in a pearl necklace. There wasn't much need for makeup. A touch of blush emphasized her high cheekbones, nearly mandatory red lipstick, and the most beautiful and inviting smile he could imagine was all she needed. Her breasts were not big but not small either. They seemed exactly right for her body, which was slim with curves that could tempt a vicar. Her button-front dress was low cut enough to give a hint of cleavage, hugged her body, and ended modestly just below her knees.

"Good morning, Rex," she said, in that sing-song voice he loved so much, but his masculinity kept him from ever saying.

"Morning," he replied, trying not to sound too overjoyed.

She also hung her coat on the coat rack by her desk and turned to Rex, "Coffee?" she asked pleasantly.

"Sure," he nodded.

Down the hall was a small communal breakroom with a coffee maker, and she dutifully took two cups from her desk, which she had meticulously washed the day before, leaving to fetch the coffee. He never cleaned his coffee cup. Disgusted, she had taken on the task.

Rex sighed, a bit worried about the business. Last month had been sterling, but this month was slow. Helen soon returned, and the rich scent of the coffee blend mixed with the sweet floral scent of her perfume overpowered the musty smell of the hallway. She placed his cup on his desk and smiled shyly, breaking eye contact. Returning to her desk, while blowing on her cup, she took her seat.

Rex was confused by her. Helen was progressive, a modern dame. She was smart, a college graduate, and she worked. Although Rosie the Riveter was a big thing during the war, the reality was that most women were more concerned with finding a husband than a job. At the same time, she was a bit old-fashioned. She wore her skirt and dress length below the knee, didn't smoke, and did those things like get coffee and wash his whiskey glass without being asked.

The rich smell of the black coffee perked him up as he blew to cool it and then took a careful sip. He had gotten used to drinking black coffee during the war. Finding milk and sugar while in the field was somewhat of a task. Hell, any sip could be your last, so you took things where and how you could find them. He set the steaming brew down and picked up his phone. Quickly dialing on the rotary phone, he heard it ring once, twice, and then pick up.

"Hello, Cohen's Diamond Exchange. How may I help you?" came the female's pleasant greeting tinged with a slight Brooklyn accent.

"Hi, Sol Cohen, please," he replied.

"May I ask who is calling," she asked.

"Rex Harrison," he said.

"Oh, hi, Rex," she replied.

She must have placed her hand or tried to put her hand over the phone to prevent him from hearing, as most do.

She was only partially successful because he heard her say in the most atrocious Brooklyn accent, "Hey Vinnay, go git Sol, Rexsis on da line." Then she removed her hand and said, in the most pleasant tones with just the tiniest of accents, "He will be right with you, Rex."

Her name was Rebecca was from Brooklyn and was Sol's sister. He had to chuckle every time he heard this transformation as her carefully cultivated voice, almost devoid of accent that helped her bypass the antisemitism of Wellesley, slipped back into her native tongue.

"Hi Rex, what can I do for you?" came the familiar voice of his friend Sol.

Sol and Rex had fought together through most of the war, fighting Nazis in North Africa, Sicily, and the Italian campaign. Luckily for Sol and Rex, they had not run across any concentration camps. When they showed pictures and a newsreel to the troops about it, he witnessed the only time he ever saw Sol cry. Sol's family was one of the diamond merchants in New York, and he could have easily exempted himself from the military, and apparently, his family had tried to get him to. He had volunteered. Both Rex and Sol were officers moving up quickly because of losses.

"Hey, you have any requirements?" Rex asked.

This was the code they used which meant, do you have any short-term openings? This could be something as simple as a bodyguard for a shipment or investigating fraud. Sol didn't need him for any of it, but when you counted the number of times each had saved the other's life, you did what you could.

"Sorry, Rex, I got nothing today. Maybe, tomorrow?" he replied.

"Thanks," Rex replied, not surprised or resenting the answer.

Rex stole a glance at Helen, who was looking at him, a sad expression on her face. Seeing him look, she quickly dropped her eyes. Rex knew that Helen knew what he was doing. Frankly, he was amazed she stayed with him. As a college grad, she could have gotten a job anywhere for much more than Rex could pay her. He figured it was just because he had given her her first job. She was old-fashioned and loyal.

At about 11:00, after making a couple more calls, Rex came as close to praying as he had since the war. Suddenly, the doorknob turned, and a broad strolled confidently into the office, closing the door behind her. Rex kept his head down, scribbling on the pad to look busy while Helen went to work.

"May I help you?" she said in a very professional tone.

The woman rudely never looked at Helen and stared at Rex.

"I need to speak to Rex Harrison," she said coldly.

Her demeanor and tone offended Helen, and she replied just as coldly, "May I inquire as to what this is about?"

"No, little girl, that is between Mr. Harrison and me. Kindly tell him I want to speak to him," she said dismissively, not hiding her obvious irritation.

Her tone was so cold you could almost see her breath like on a cold New York winter day. Helen glared at the woman and rose quickly, going a couple of steps to Rex's desk. This, of course, was silly but part of the game. She put her left hand on the desk, leaned over, and whispered in Rex's ear. He whispered back, and Helen took her time returning to her desk, seating herself before speaking to the woman.

"Mr. Harrison will see you now," she said coldly.

Rex rose and looked up for the first time taking in a more considered view of the woman. She was tall for a dame, easily five-foot-six with spiked heels that put her almost at his six-foot eye level. She had a red dress on, off the shoulders, scandalously low cut showing a cleavage that would make a saint blush. Her breasts were large, and the two small bulges at the tip of each hinted at the erect nipples beneath. A diamond choker on her neck with matching diamond stud earrings gleamed even in the light dulled by the grime on the windows. Her makeup was just shy of what a whore wore, and her ruby-red lips parted sensuously, her hourglass figure wrapped in a skin-tight red dress that ended above the knee. A slit on the left leg allowed her to walk in more than just a shuffle.

The thing that struck him was her gaze. He had seen that gaze before, a look of a steely, cold, and very confident woman on an Italian partisan. Rex's unit had been cut-off, and they found themselves behind enemy lines. They had hooked up for a short time with a partisan group. Marie had the same steely-eyed look of a woman who could confidently fuck your brains out or stab you while looking you in the eye and watching you bleed out. Luckily for him, Marie had chosen the former and not the latter.

Rex reached his hand forward, and the woman shook it. Her warm, smooth hand sported two rings and a delicate bracelet.

"Please, have a seat," he said pleasantly, motioning to the chairs facing the desk. "Coffee, tea?' he offered.

"Tea, please, two sugars and no cream," she said businesslike.

He looked at Helen, who was glaring at the woman fuming. With a disgusted look, Helen stood, taking a new cup from the shelf behind her and walked to his desk, took his cup, and huffily left to get the drinks.

"So, what may I help you with?" Rex began.

"I've heard you are the no-nonsense type," she stated flatly.

"Well, I don't want to waste your time. I am sure it is valuable," Rex said, becoming frustrated.

"First, I have a few questions," she said flatly.

"Sure, shoot," he said.

"How long have you been in business?" she asked.

"Three years eight months," he said, being exact as the military had taught him to be.

"I understand you were in...the war?" she asked, softening her tone with a bit of empathy commonly afforded veterans at the time.

"Yes," he stated flatly, and as most combat veterans, Rex was reticent to provide detail. She did not reply, and after quite some time, he continued, "North Africa, Sicily, and Italy."

His tone indicated this was as far as he would elaborate. Luckily, Helen returned and, still glaring, handed the woman her tea and put his coffee on the desk. The broad sipped the hot tea and set the steaming cup on his desk. Rex also sipped his coffee and set his cup to the side. He raised his eyebrows signaling for the woman to get on with it.

"What I have to say is confidential. I don't want..., extra ears," the broad said coldly.

He could see Helen begin to flame on.

"Helen, it's close to noon. Why don't you take your lunch break," he said, trying to accommodate the woman and keep Helen in check.

Fuming, Helen snapped, "Fine."

She retrieved her purse, exited, and slammed the door.

"Testy little bitch isn't she?" the woman spat out.

"I'm sure the door slipped out of her hand. How may I help you..., Miss?" Rex replied, beginning to lose his patience.

"I'm Deborah Wheaton," she said.

"Nice to meet you, Miss Wheaton," he said, showing just the slightest impatience.

"I'm here on a delicate matter. I have a friend..., Joe Calabrese, and I think he is planning to hurt me," she said.

This piqued his interest. Joe Calabrese was a well-known councilman with equally known ties to one of the minor families in the local organized crime scene. More than one political opponent had suddenly dropped out of a race or, in at least one case, disappeared.

"Why would you think that?" Rex asked intently.

"One evening, I overheard him talking, with some goons, about the Alex Silverman...disappearance. He discovered I knew, and it seemed to have not concerned him," she answered, and for the first time, uneasiness, a vulnerability entered the timbre of her voice.

"Hmm, Silverman disappeared more than a year ago, so?" he replied, encouraging her to continue.

"It seems Joe has found other...fields to plow," she stammered, real fear entering her voice.

Rex leaned back. Ok, it all became clear to him. Joe, a married man, was banging this broad on the side. She knows about Silverman's disappearance, and now Joe has found another slut to mambo with. Debbie here is being dumped, and she knows too much. This gold digger is due to be canceled.

"I think you should probably go to the police with this. They can protect you," Rex said, leaning forward again to put weight into his words and reaching for the phone.

"You don't understand," she said, grabbing his hand, panicking for the first time giving into the fear and dropping the bravado.

"Enlighten me," Rex replied testily, releasing the phone and sitting back.

Shit, he didn't feel sorry for her. She knew about a murder for over a year and had said nothing. Frankly, in some respects, she deserved to be canceled. Silverman had a family.

"The cops are in on it," she blurted out, "they were the ones that killed Silverman."

The broad then broke down, and tears streaked her face with mascara. Fuck, now Rex did feel sorry for her. Well, as much as anyone could feel, for a slut running around with a married man with ties to organized crime. What the fuck was he to do? He had to get her to the State Police or Feds, but how to go about that? If the cops were after her, they could easily intercept them before they got to them. If what she said was true, they both would get canceled. The State Police and Feds would undoubtedly require proof or information. This was especially true if the local cops had issued warrants or an APB on her. Rex had learned, on a few occasions, they weren't very understanding.

"Do you know if they have put out warrants or an APB on you?" he asked, moving from annoyance to concern.

"No," she sobbed.

Rex picked up his phone and unhurriedly dialed a number.

"Police precinct 104 Queens," came the staccato greeting.

"May I speak to Detective Robinson?" Rex asked.

"Connecting," the voice replied.

"Detective Robinson," came the greeting.

"Ray, this is Rex."

"Rex, hey, what's up?"

"I need some confidential information."

"Rex, you know the rules. If I can, I will, but..., you know..."

"Fine, do you have an APB, or are there warrants for a Deborah Wheaton?"

"Why?" he replied warily.

"A client hired me to find her. Something about skipping out on a bill," he lied.

"Well, you better find her fast because she has warrants out for her. Something about her doing some property damage on Joe Calabrese's boat. The 85th precinct wants her pretty bad."

"Thanks," Rex replied, hanging up the phone.

Rex became steel like he always did before combat.

"You are in a lot of trouble. We've got to get you somewhere safe until I can contact the Feds. At this point, I wouldn't even trust the State Police," he said.

This did not make the woman feel better, and she began to tremble and wail.

At this point, Helen rushed into the room. She had taken her lunch in the lunchroom down the hall and heard the woman's cries. Helen was a good woman, and he could see the change in her from a glowering bitch to an empathetic angel. She embraced the woman who returned her embrace the bravado she had shown earlier evaporated.

"We have to get her to a safe place," Rex stated, grabbing his jacket, coat, and fedora.

"She could stay at my place," the angelic Helen offered.

"You have two other roommates. It is too dangerous. I'll have to take her to my place," he stated.

"To your place, alone, overnight?" the shocked Helen replied much too loud.

"Shhh, yes, alone and overnight. It's the only way I can protect her until you contact the Feds," he said.

"Me?" she responded, her voice cracked in shock.

"Yes, she can't, and I can't because it could give away where we are. Look, Helen, this is bad and very dangerous. Except for placing an anonymous telephone call to the Feds, I want you completely out of this. Do you understand?" he growled.

She nodded. He gave her the number and exactly what to say.

"Don't call from these phones or your home phone. Find a pay phone and call from there. Tell them you have information on the Silverman disappearance and set up a meeting tomorrow at 10:00 AM at the library. Do not give them your name or number, and seriously Helen, just hang up," he instructed emphatically.

She nodded, and Rex peeled the woman off Helen and headed for the door.

"Get your coat and lockup and...thanks, Helen," he said, entering the musty hallway with the frightened woman in tow.

>>>>>

By the time he got the woman home, she was a mess. His apartment was a one-room efficiency with an attached bathroom. A small kitchenette was on the right as you entered. His bed was on the back wall the bathroom was in the corner. To the left of the entrance was a small coat closet. A couch, an end table with a radio and phone, and a coffee table were on the wall opposite the bed. Two double-hung windows on the left led to the fire escape. An overstuffed easy chair, with an end table and reading lamp, was in front of the windows. Overall it was pretty Spartan.

He finally got her to calm down and put her in his bed, the stress causing her to nap. This gave him a chance to take a leak and time to think. Well, a little time, at least. He nearly jumped out of his skin when his phone rang.

"Rex, I made the call. Are you all right?" Helen asked, sounding near tears.

"What did I tell you," Rex raged. "This is dangerous. Why are you calling me?"

Helen began to sob, "Because I am worried about you."