Right Down the Line Pt. 02

Story Info
The bond between Cliff and Elaine strengthens.
10.3k words
4.78
3.9k
14

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 03/03/2024
Created 02/23/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
R410a
R410a
2,959 Followers

As promised, here's part 2. Thanks for the comments and emails. They're much appreciated.

Right Down the Line part two

I hadn't been at work twenty minutes when who should show up in my lane but Cliff. He had two chocolate coated long johns and a pint of milk. He looked as though he'd been up for some time.

When he reached me he was smiling. "Good morning Elaine, you look lovely."

I scoffed, "You need glasses. Wearing a hat left my hair a mess and the snow melting on my face caused my makeup to run. You look like you've been up for a while. Did you start early? Is that breakfast?"

"I've been out plowing since five. I plow the dealership's lot, the credit union and Napa Auto Parts. I could do more but most everybody has someone already. And yes, this is my breakfast. I need an energy boost. You don't approve?"

I grinned, "Whatever floats your boat, Cliff. Be safe."

He smiled, "I'll call later."

I responded as he walked to the door, "You'd better."

Knowing the dealership was only open until one on Saturdays I felt confident that Cliff would call when his day was finished. By the time my shift was done the wind had picked up, the temperature had dropped, and another three inches of snow lay on the ground. My walk home was not as pleasant as my walk to work. Snowflakes that had melted on my cheeks on the way to work now felt like ice crystals and stung to the point I had to pull the scarf up over my nose. Thankfully I'd worn my higher boots and wool mittens.

Trudging through the snow I shuddered as the city grader went by knowing there would be pile of snow to shovel at the end of the driveway. I suddenly became aware that a vehicle had stopped at the curb. Looking to my left, Cliff was out of the truck opening the door before I made it the three feet between the sidewalk and curb. With my mitten covered hand in his he gently helped me inside the truck, quickly scurried to the driver's side and jumped in.

The warmth of the cab was welcoming. I had worn a dress to work and though I'd worn nylons my legs were still cold. I leaned forward rubbing my hands together by the dash vent, the heat pouring out felt marvelous. Cliff turned toward me.

"I was hoping I would catch you on the way home. We closed at eleven thirty. No customers and there's more snow on the way. It didn't make sense keeping the place open. I plowed a driveway on the way here and I have several more to do this afternoon. My phone has been ringing most of the morning."

"Thanks for picking me up." I answered. "I thought it would have stopped by now, the wind has a bite to it. If I had realized it would be this cold, I would have worn pants. It's good that you have more work. Isn't it?"

He chuckled, "Yep, every extra penny I can earn is an extra penny I can put toward paying off my equipment. What are your plans for this afternoon?"

I thought a moment, "Nothing other than a load of laundry."

As we neared the house my earlier concern was evident. Across the driveway was a mound of snow 2 feet high and as deep as well as the 8" covering the driveway. I suddenly knew what my afternoon would entail. To my pleasant surprise Cliff slowed at one side of the driveway and stopped. I watched as he took the plow control in hand and made the blade into an inverted V, then dropped the blade and cut into the snow. It took him three passes before it was clear enough to pull into the drive.

He was going to get out, I stopped him. "It's okay, I can get to the house. Thank you, you saved me a lot of work. I'll change and start on the driveway so we aren't shoveling a foot by the time it's done."

He looked at me, "If you don't have plans why don't you come with me. You can be my wingman and run the plow. I'll finish your drive while you change. Whadaya think? Wanna come along?"

There was no question in my mind, of course I wanted to come along. Laundry could wait.

"Gimme five and I'll be ready. Daddy will appreciate you clearing our driveway."

I was running through the house to my room with Mom right behind. The more I explained what was going on the wider her grin became. She turned and dashed away. By the time I was back into the hallway grabbing dry winter clothes she was waiting with a brown paper bag.

In kind of a giggle she said, "Sandwiches. He has to be hungry. The way to man's heart is through his stomach honey. Go and have lots of fun. Wow, who would have thought plowing snow would be a date?"

Cliff had just finished with the driveway when I walked out. Getting in he stared for a minute. I wondered why.

"Um. You might want to lose the coat, I keep it pretty warm while I'm plowing. Toss It in the backseat. First stop is Alberts. What's in the bag?"

I smiled, Mama had foreseen something I hadn't. "Sandwiches. Mom thought you might be hungry. I think they're chicken leftovers from last night. Do you want one now?"

"Let's do Alberts first. We can stop at the Kwik Trip for a pop to go along with the sandwiches. And maybe some chips."

At the convenience store he handed me a twenty-dollar bill, told me what he wanted, said to get what I wanted and began to top off the gas tank. He had left the pump area and was parking out front of the store as I was walking out. When I got inside he leaned toward me and whispered. "Gotta pee, be right back."

We had a sandwich, chips and a drink sitting in the parking lot. The phone rang three times while we ate. Two wanted him to plow, he explained that we would get there but no promise what time since there were several ahead of them. By the time we finished the second driveway he didn't need to tell me what to do unless it was something unusual. I operated the plow while he operated the truck. It was half past 6 when we finished the last driveway. I had gone to the house for payment while he knocked the packed snow from the plow.

At the door the lady smiled. "You and your husband make quite a team."

I wasn't sure what to say so I smiled and told her thanks. Getting back in the truck Cliff asked, 'What were you guys talking about? She seemed to be smiling a lot."

Now I was in a tough spot. What to say? The truth, of course.

"She thought you were my husband and that we make a great team."

Cliff grinned, "She's right. We do make a great team. There will be more calls tomorrow. What say you? Wanna be my wingman again? I'm hungry, are you?" I nodded. "Good. Pizza or fried chicken?"

I was hungry as a horse, "I'm in the mood for fried chicken. Caseys has an all you can eat chicken special on Saturdays. We could go there."

He laughed, "Way ahead of you, Toots. Caseys here we come."

I chuckled. Toots, no one had ever called me Toots, and I kinda liked it. Walking into Caseys we were tired, worn out and bedraggled. There were a few families, but most of the crowd were people like us. Guys who had been out all-day plowing. At one of the tables it was all city workers who had been out since 5 that morning. I imagined they would head home with a full belly, get a quick shower to get rid of the diesel smell and into bed.

As we ate Cliff asked if I wanted to plow with him the next day. I had to think about it a minute. Things were moving fast, maybe too fast. What should I do?

"Would you be upset if I didn't go along?" I asked.

"No. Why would I be upset? It was great having you along but if you have things to do, by all means do them."

By the time we got to my house the city plow had gone through a second time. We cleared it, finishing just as Dad was driving up. With his car in the garage he walked to the truck wanting to pay Cliff who wouldn't hear of it and said he should be paying me for all my help. I wondered if this guy was real, or just a real good bullshitter? As Dad walked in the house, Cliff got out and opened my door, grabbed my coat, helped me put it on and walked me to the door.

I wanted to kiss him, but I waited. His arms gently encircled my waist as he drew me closer. In a whisper he asked, "May I?"

My nonverbal answer was to circle my arms around his neck and place my lips on his. We had been kissing three or four minutes when I pulled back.

"I really like you, Cliff. I mean really, really like you. But after the way my marriage turned out I'd like to take this slow. I need time to process everything."

He loosened his grip on my waist and asked, "Do you not want me to call or text? I can do that if that's what you want. I'm in no hurry, I can wait until you feel more comfortable."

I kissed him again. A long, soft kiss and then stepped back. "I don't want you to stop calling, maybe not every day though. I just need some time."

He gave me a quick kiss and said, "Okay. Then that's what we'll do. Let me know when you're ready. Otherwise I'll keep my distance. I'm still gonna shop at your store though."

I smiled and said, "You'd better. I had a wonderful day. See you soon."

We both turned at the same time. I stood in the doorway and waved as he backed out. I noticed the phone was to his ear, probably another driveway to plow. I waved and said hi to my folks as I walked to my room. I had showered and was in night clothes when I heard a knock. Mom peaked her head in the door.

"Are you decent honey?" She asked.

"Yup. Come on in."

Sitting on the end of my bed she asked, "Well? How was the day? Have you eaten? You seem awfully quiet. What's going on?"

"I had a great day. He is kind and funny and treats me like a lady. We plowed a lot of driveways. Even when I was learning to operate the plow he didn't get upset, not once. He would just tell me what to do in a calm voice. Brian would have been screaming at me."

Putting her hand on mine she asked, "He sounds like a nice young man, why so conflicted?"

"I don't wanna screw this up. Look how bad my marriage went. Maybe I'm not cut out to be a housewife. Look at me. I'm nothing special. Not much for boobs, my booty is nothing more than average, I don't have long attractive legs. I'm strong but nothing more than plain, Mom. Why would he want me?"

She squeezed my hand, "First, I think you sell yourself short. Just because Brian didn't appreciate you doesn't mean other men don't or won't. Second. Who are you to decide what that boy does or doesn't like in a woman? Look at your Aunt Clara. She's almost as round as she is tall, and your Uncle Al worships the ground she walks on. I agree that you need to go slow, but not at a snail's pace. If you like him the way I think you do you can let him know without jumping in bed right away."

She leaned close, we touched foreheads, she kissed me on the cheek and whispered, "My poor baby girl. Follow your heart honey. Love will find a way, sleep well."

I didn't hear from Cliff the next day although I think I saw him drive by a few times. Another 4 inches of snow had fallen overnight, the sun was shining, and people were busy trying to dig out. Around three he pulled into our driveway, dropped the plow and cleared it. I was in the front window as he turned leaving the driveway, he opened the window, smiled, waved and threw me a kiss as he drove away.

I had to admit that I was overwhelmed by his behavior. This was the way I imagined romance should be. Had it really found its way to my door after all I had been through? Was it possible for me to be the woman he might be dreaming of? Only time would tell.

I hadn't heard nor seen him all the next week until Thursday evening when he entered my checkout lane. My heart was pounding, my breathing was erratic, and the palms of my hands felt sweaty. There was also something I hadn't experienced in a very long time, as in years. A tingling sensation in my lady parts. I had never been one to get wet panties over a guy, and I wasn't at that point either, but I began to realize how it could happen with the right one.

We exchanged pleasantries, talked about the weather, his upcoming jobs and that we needed to get together soon. Although no plans were made. As he walked out the door I found myself disappointed until I thought about the fact that I was the one who told him I wanted to go slow. He was the one who told me to let him know when I was ready. Was I ready? Good question.

At home I told Mom about seeing Cliff at the store and that I may have jinxed things by asking him to wait. She hugged me, told me I was being silly and said goodnight. I received a "hi, how ya doin" text from Cliff the next Tuesday. The text conversation didn't last long, but it was enough to let me know that he hadn't written me off. I was scheduled to be done working at five on Friday, my folks were out of town overnight for some grocery store thing. Darrel would be closing, I knew I was going to be bored out of my mind.

I changed after work and stood looking in the refrigerator as if something was going to jump out and say, "eat me, I'm delicious." Except nothing looked delicious, it all looked boring. I thought about the bowling alley but wasn't in the mood for pizza, however they did serve a darned good cheeseburger and sweet potato fries. Yup, that sounded good, bowling alley here I come. Knowing I would probably have at least one beer with my dinner, possibly two, I chose to take an Uber instead of driving.

I looked around when I arrived, there were several open tables. I chose one toward the back of the room and waited for the waitress to place my order. Just as the waitress was bringing my meal who should walk from the bowling alley part of the building into the eating area? Cliff. Alongside him was a slick looking guy in a suit. Both he and Cliff had pensive looks on their faces.

They were close enough that I heard Cliff say. "You have my answer Bob, stop pestering me and tell my mother to stop calling." The guy started to say something when Cliff raised his hand in a stop motion. "We're done, don't come back."

As the guy walked away Cliff looked around the room, his gaze landed on me, along with a smile. Walking toward me I gestured that he should sit. He pointed to my food and said, "That looks mighty good. I think I'll do the same."

I finished a bit before he did and took the time to powder my nose as Mom would say. When I got back I took the chair next to him and asked.

"Who was the suit? You didn't look or sound happy to see him."

"One of my father's many lawyers. The old man is running for state legislature. He wants me to come home and take over a couple of fast-food joints so he can talk about what a great success his family is. He'll find a way to hide my jail time. It's all about him, it always is."

I was surprised by the answer and responded accordingly. "Wow. Who gives a business, much less businesses to their kid without some sort of return, unless they're dying?"

He placed the napkin on his plate and sat back, "Oh, believe me. There will be strings tied to everything. He'll not only control my life, but he'll also succeed in making it miserable as well."

"Don't you have sisters? Is he doing the same with them?" I asked.

He chuckled, "Oh yeah, they're already under his thumb. They married lazy ass husbands who jumped at the idea of not having to actually work. They're spineless toads, all of them."

I needed to know, "Aren't you going to consider it? Maybe even a little?"

The look on his face was a mixture of disgust and incredulity, "Hell no. He can take the money he's offering and stick it. I'll make my own damned way, besides, I like it here." Then he grinned. "And I've come to appreciate the scenery."

There was no hiding the flush on my cheeks or the fact that he had caught me completely off guard. I felt the palm of his roughened hand gently touch the side of my face and realized my mouth was hanging open. I quickly covered his hand with mine and whispered, "Thank you."

He broke our moment of silently staring into one another's eyes. "Did you drive?"

"No, I took an Uber."

Those words must have been magic because he sat forward with my hand in his and said with a smile that stretched across his face.

"May I have the privilege of escorting you home?"

I decided to play the game, "Why, yes kind sir. Thank you for asking."

He stood and helped scoot my chair away from the table, took my coat off the back and helped me put it on. What he did next made my heart go pitty-pat and my knees weaken. He placed his hand on the small of my back and tenderly kept me at his side. I felt a warmth and tingling sensation between my legs that hadn't been there for years. Since we were inside it certainly wasn't the cold that was making my nipples harden. Nope, this was horniness, pure and simple. Horniness I was determined to maintain control of.

It was early enough in the evening that neither of us was ready to end the day. I knew better than to invite him in, not that he would be predatory, but because I was excited enough to not say no if we went beyond kissing. Our alternative was to sit in the driveway with the truck running, kill the headlights, and talk. I liked the fact that he didn't ask questions about my past, before or after jail time. Nor did I ask about his. I did wonder how he could afford the expensive equipment if he was only working part time at the tree trimming business and his day job basically covered living expenses. So, I asked him.

He answered without hesitation, "Long story short. When I went away to college Mom set up an education fund in her name that I had access to. From that I was expected to pay my tuition fees, cover books, housing, food, the normal stuff. The first few years that's what I did. When I started selling pot I didn't need as much from that fund so there was quite a bit left when I landed in the klinker. Mom put a hold on that money immediately upon my incarceration."

He stopped talking a minute staring out the side window, then looked back at me. "When my sentence was over, I went to work for the tree service. Mom knew I was struggling and contacted me without the old man knowing. Once I convinced her that I had learned my lesson she sent one of the corporate goons to verify my words. After he returned, she flew to Sioux Falls for a weekend with me. It was over that weekend I talked about my desire to own a tree trimming business and showed her the business plan my employer had helped me create."

I was confused. "Okay. But how does any of that explain how you can afford the equipment? That truck had to cost a lot of money."

He grinned, "I'm gettin' there. Hold yer horses. There was $37,412 left in the education fund. Mom was willing to release it if I could show her that the money would be used for 'tools' as she called them, and operating expenses. That would be enough money to buy an older used truck if I could find something reliable and maybe a used Bobcat with a trailer. I bought the saws and rigging outright when I got here. Luckily I purchased an older truck my past employer had and found the Bobcat at a farm auction. I had about 4 grand left. So, along with my car as a trade in I used 2 of that to make a down payment on this pickup. The rest I used for fuel and other incidentals until I had enough to cover business costs."

I was amazed in a simple sort of way. One had to be driven to work that hard. He was like my Dad. If there was a way to do it, Dad would figure it out. After hearing all of that I was more impressed than before. Not only was he loving, attentive and affectionate, he was smart as well. Yes, I could see myself being his wife, his lover and the mother of our children if it ever came to that.

Being curious I asked, "My brother said that he saw you with a business looking guy at the bowling alley about the time we first met. Was that the same guy?"

He laughed, "No, that was one of Dad's hirelings who thought he could shmooze me, toss around a little money and have me high tailing back to Nevada. Little did he know."

R410a
R410a
2,959 Followers