Rise - The Fallen Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I suppose not everyone is as fortunate. Perhaps they lacked the food and water to house more than their family. Perhaps they survived only off those who knew no wiser."

"You think so?"

"Well, I think something else may have happened to cause that kind of fury in their eyes. You saw it too, surely."

"I did. A bit frightening, if I'm being honest. I've never seen a man so enraged. So ready to gut me. And trust me, I've had my fair share of married women."

Hiln scoffed and looked at Myr with a disbelieving side-eye.

"What? Don't think I've got it in me?"

She chuckled. "Oh, I know what you've got. I simply don't believe you'd be that kind of man to ruin someone's happiness for your own sake."

"No, I wouldn't," Myr quietly admitted. "But I could if I wanted to," he interjected.

"I'm sure you could," Hiln smiled. "Anyway, perhaps it would be wise to expect more people like them."

"You really think more people will want to kill us?"

"What's stopping them? It's better to remain cautious. I reckon that family wasn't the only to have witnessed the worst this plague could offer. I only pray the other realms have not fallen to such lows."

"What do you think happened to those people?"

"They lost something. I know that without a doubt. To what exactly, I would have to assume a person."

"Then why would they be so adamant to kill us? As I said, we could have helped them. We could have formed a small group to provide for each other and help one another. For them to attack us must mean they weren't willing to take a chance. But why would they not take a chance on us? The undead is the enemy! Not us."

"Is that what you truly believe? That the undead are our only enemy."

Myr glanced at her from his periphery. "You mean to say we're the enemy too?"

"Not us exactly," Hiln corrected.

"But the living. You're saying we can be villainous as well. Well enough to warrant such behavior from others."

"How many times now have you told me of your horrible experiences with others before all this? How many have you gotten shit thrown at you? Or curses put upon your name? Or people chasing you away with a raised fist? Surely you must understand where I'm coming from?"

"No I don't understand where you're coming from. I mean, I do. I understand there are bad people. But those folks - they looked as normal as normal could be. Why in all the realms would they turn malicious? Sure they may have lost something. But so have I. So have you. We're not running around thirsting for warm blood. We're not targeting the weak and unknowing. So why them?"

Hiln contorted her lips. She had the look of something on her mind. Something she wanted to say but knew it might have been best to keep silent. Observant as Myr was, she could not hide that look from him.

"You still don't agree with me?" he asked.

"You know what I think?" Hiln asked, her face filling with frustration and anger.

"It's not going to sour my mood, is it? Because let me tell you, I hate oranges. I'm not very fond of sour things."

Hiln looked at Myr, unamused and impatient. The young man cocked his head and raised his palms in defense.

Hiln huffed. "I would wager there are many who prefer this. Who actually thrive off this plague and pray an end never comes. Whether that's because they can be the thieves they've always wished to be. Or rape the women they could never have before. Or kill those they've envied without worry of consequences. Whatever the reason, I would wager it is these people that make up the majority of the living now. I will not be the least surprised when we encounter more people who act without remorse, or due to the lack of it. To answer your question - why them - I believe they weren't bad people before or immediately after this plague. But I believe they may have run across others, or others ran across them. During that time in which they were betrayed and humiliated. I believe it was those people they came into contact with - the same kind that would rape, kill, and steal without remorse - that corrupted them. That showed them what the realms have come to. And that is why they now must reflect what they witness. Because they can't bear to go through that themselves again. And because they believe everyone to be like that now."

"And so you saying all this means you must believe that as well," Myr analyzed, speaking with a hint of fury in his voice.

"I don't want to. But I do. I believe - no matter what race someone is - we are all capable of great evil. I believe in all of us there is some evil. Some have more than others, but I believe it's in all of us. Even if just a little bit. And with just that small bit, I believe it only takes one catalyst - small or big. Just one to set us off."

Myr shook his head in disappointment and disagreement. "Is it not - as a head magistrate - your mission to lead and guide others towards the light? Towards the gods and the good they offer? Is it not your mission to see the good in people and fight for them and for it? Should you not be fighting to show those that have fallen the better path? Should you not be fighting to show them the error of their ways?"

Hiln was taken aback. In her surprise, she fell silent. To which Myr continued.

"Sounds to me that you're becoming one of them," he bluntly said. "Sounds to me that your heart is failing you. And failing this mission. Sounds like you're allowing yourself to fall into despair. And if that's true, then I fail to see why I don't just turn around and return to Klisely. After all, if you lack the heart to fight before the real fight has even begun, then what's the point? This was your plan, your idea. If you don't believe in your own words, then who will? How is the church to be reunited if even the head magistrate doesn't believe in her own cause? How are they expected to overcome this evil when even you don't even believe we can overcome the evil within ourselves?"

Hiln remained silent. The two simply retained their lock gaze.

Myr broke their stare, realizing this behavior was very much unlike him. He also realized the absurdity of the situation - scolding the head magistrate, a woman much older and much more experienced than him. Patient as the young man was, perhaps he still needed disciplining.

"Never been scolded like this, huh?" Myr asked, without a hint of jovialness. "Well I've never scolded anyone," he huffed. "Seems this plague really does bring out the worst in us."

The young man walked ahead, taking the lead. Behind him remained Hiln. She watched as he went and chose not to follow by his side. Her eyes fell to the ground, pondering his words. Something she found herself doing more and more since their journey began. When her mind cleared, she placed a gentle hand on Myr's shoulder.

"Forgive me, Myr. How I acted before, I didn't mean it. I forgot myself. I do believe in our cause, I do. After all's occurred, and all I've seen, I suppose I did allow despair to get the better of me."

"It's okay. I understand. I know what you speak of. As much as I would like to see only the good in everything, I recognize there is also the other side. I would be ignorant to turn a blind eye. We are capable of great evil - all of us. But I know we are also capable of great good. And I know there is more good than evil in our hearts. I know there are more of us that would extend a hand than take what's necessary and run off. And if there's not, if so many of us have fallen that we find ourselves outnumbered by not only the undead, but the worst of the living as well, then we will make that our mission. That will be our reason to fight. Because if there's anything I want to impart on anyone, it's that there is always a reason to fight, to go on. If not now, then there will be. We simply must hold on."

"You truly believe in us, don't you?"

"Someone has to."

"That kind of optimism might get you killed. You know that, don't you? There will be some that take advantage of your kindness, and your willingness to help."

"What, grown attached to me, have you? Don't want to see me get killed?"

"Grown tired, more like," Hiln smiled.

Myr chuckled. "Don't worry. I'm aware. And I'm ready."

"Oh, are you now? What makes you so confident?"

"Well I'll always have you by my side, won't I?" Myr quipped.

Due to his sweet words, a rare sight occurred. One few had ever seen - if anyone at all. The tall, prestigious, and brutish blonde, known for her composure, her authority, and her hardiness... actually blushed. She couldn't recall when last a man had been so sweet to her, so quick and easy with his words. And so reassuring. Dipping her chin, she glanced away.

Never one to stay quiet, Myr needed to keep talking. "What's the matter?" he asked, knowing full well what he'd done. "You're red as a newborn babe," he snickered.

"This ground's about to be red with your blood," she lightly threatened. "Speak nothing of this moment. Especially not to my brothers and sister in Gravenfore."

Myr chuckled. "You really are quite adorable when you're flustered. How could a woman as hard as you have such a soft heart?"

"Now I know you're only trying to get a rise out of me. You'll get nothing, I assure you."

Myr chuckled, finishing his little game before turning to her again with a genuine look in his eyes. "I wasn't kidding before. As long as you're by my side, I feel safe. I know you would never allow harm to come my way. Well, at least not fatal harm. Normal harm is okay. You're only human, after all. And there's only one of you. Although what I would do for duplicates of you..." Myr laughed to himself imagining the thought.

"Please. As if you could handle more than one of me. I reckon you hardly even know where to put your hands. Not a chance you'd know with several women."

"Just you wait," Myr smirked.

For a while longer the two walked on with their idle chat to fill in the silence. No further signs of living or undead made themselves known. Strange, seeing as how a gunshot could be heard from nearly a mile away. Myr speculated the point of origin could not be discerned at a certain distance, especially in a forest as dense as the one they roamed. He could not be certain though, and Hiln never paid much attention to the ring of a gunshot to know either.

Regardless, they still had some ways to go. When it seemed like the end of the forest, it was only the beginning. With the dimmed light from above fading, the two were going to require shelter soon.

To sleep outside would pose far too great a risk with the possibility that the gunshot had indeed attracted more undead. Sleeping in turns was possible, but not preferred. Hiln trusted Myr, but perhaps not enough to watch over her in the dark of night as undead rushed their camp.

Myr proposed sleeping in the trees. As far as he knew, the undead were incapable of climbing. He claimed they could hardly climb stairs without stumbling sometimes.

While tempting and logical, Hiln's equipment was far too cumbersome. Leaving it below along with all their supplies was out of the question as well. Had the family of three been following them the entire time, they could not risk losing their belongings and either continuing on or going back and wasting time.

Beyond all that, Myr was becoming irritably horny. Since leaving Klisely, the pair ended each night with oral sex. More so because of the young man's libido than the blonde's. During those times, it seemed he did not care whether they lived or died. So long as he could be relieved he would be content. Though this factor was less worrisome, it did not make the situation any less insufferable.

"Why couldn't those people just let us spend the night with them, and then kill us in our sleep?" Myr whined. "At least we wouldn't have had to die tired. We might have even finally got to fuck."

"You wish," Hiln snorted.

The pair still had yet to make intercourse. Feeling so exposed wandering in the open for all to see, Hiln was worried they could be too easily caught off guard. With oral sex, at the very least they wouldn't be in such compromisable positions. Of course Myr called that all a load of shit.

Night was rapidly falling. Quickly, what dim light there remained vanished, leaving nothing but darkness. Myr and Hiln continued despite their lack of visibility and tiredness. The two had half a mind to disregard sleep and simply walk until they were clear of the forest.

For a moment, neither seemed to mind this. That moment lasted all but half an hour. Before long they walked with hunched shoulders, a sluggish pace, and droopy faces. The only thing that kept both awake were the torches they held. So tired were they, Myr momentarily lost all interest in any kind of sexual relief. The young man simply wished for sleep.

"Hiln," Myr finally said, "we can't go on. I think we should just take the risk. I'll set up a perimeter like yesterday and keep the fire small."

Hiln was almost in agreement. After all, no one was more tired than her, burdened by all she carried. Yet, she shook her head. "Just a little more. Let's walk a little more."

"We've been walking for hours. What difference will a little more make? I say we take our chance."

"Only a little more, Myr. That's all I ask. I have a feeling."

"With how much we've walked today, I'm surprised you can feel anything at all. I don't even know if I still have feet," Myr groaned.

Hiln lowered her torch to see his feet. "They're still there," she confirmed. "Now quit your moaning."

"Okay," Myr relented. "But once they fall off, I'm calling it."

"They won't fall off, Myr. I assure you. Not tonight, at the very least. I have a feeling we'll be relieved soon enough."

"That so? What's bringing about this feeling? Better be the gods. They owe us for putting up with this shit plague."

"I won't say it in such an entitled manner like you, but I agree."

"How do you think the other realms fare?"

"Wish I knew. We sent birds in all directions to every known city and portal tower. Gravenfore was the only to answer."

Myr's eyes narrowed. "Are you saying no one else answered? No one in the entire country?"

"To be fair, only half the birds returned."

Myr nodded with some semblance of relief. "Hopefully it is just our realm that has it this bad. I can't imagine Lissagem falling victim to this plague."

"You don't think they would?"

"Not a chance. Have you seen their steam powered automatrons? Had we just been given five of those - five of the big ones - Klisely would still be standing. I guarantee you. Besides, as far as I'm aware, you can't join the undead unless you were living to begin with."

"Perhaps you're right," Hiln contemplated.

"Oh, I'm right. You can rest assured. I'm right." Myr spoke with such certainty that one could not help but trust in his words. "As for the other realms, I like to think they're at the very least doing better than us. How much more I can't say. I just know without them, we wouldn't be the people we were before this. We wouldn't have what we did. Or be as capable as we were."

"Have you ever been to the other realms?"

"How I wish I could say I have," Myr said dreamily. "I've always dreamed of seeing the bright colors and glowing lands of Tridisan! And the vast, vast grasslands of Hleode."

"No mention of Bellathgrove?" Hiln asked with surprise.

"I've never been fond of oceans," the young man hesitantly explained.

"Aw. How adorable," Hiln mockingly cooed.

"And that's why I don't tell anyone."

Hiln chuckled. "I only kid. But I have stood on the floating lands of Bellathgrove, and stared down at the mesmerizing cobalt blue oceans. I even swam alongside their giant turtles."

"How was it?"

Hiln's eyes glazed over as she smiled. "Sunny. So sunny. Almost like walking among the gods."

"You know what? I'll tell you one realm I know I never wish to visit. Urogyue. You want to know what ugly looks like, that one takes the prize."

"Not very safe either," Hiln added.

"No it is not. Mean folks they have there too. I've always wondered why we kept in contact with them."

"Hunting. Many loved the challenge of the hunt. I heard the kinds of beasts and monsters one would come across there were things only seen in nightmares or wildest dreams."

"I suppose keer hide isn't too bad. Nor inulah organs - if you're keen on eating those kinds of things."

"Are you?"

Myr snorted, amused because it was a well known fact among friends that he did not. "You should have seen me before all this. I couldn't stand the slightest drop of blood. I never would have been able to enjoy Urogyue delicacy. I am more of a crispy bacon enjoyer. You know, the crunchy, near blackened type."

"Of course. What other way is there to eat bacon?" Hiln amused.

"It brings me great joy that you understand."

"How could I not?" she asked, rolling her eyes.

Sharing a quiet chuckle in the dark with Myr, Hiln glanced his way. She was surprised with what she saw. Under the light of the torches, hard shadows danced across his face. Somehow he looked older than he truly was. He looked somewhat more akin to what she had originally pictured - a hardened man.

Some part of her wished he was older. Or perhaps all she truly wished for was for him to be more capable. Hiln thought back to earlier in the day when he struggled so immensely during their fights. She thought nothing less of him. However, she did wonder how much more of a burden he could be.

Was he right to have declined her offer the first time? Was she wrong in her persistence for him to accept? Because now she wondered if there would ever come a time when she would be forced to leave him behind.

How much more could he possibly contribute after he'd taught her everything he knew of the undead? The young man was endearing. He warmed her heart. He provided her with a sense of hope, something no one could do before. Would he be able to do the same for others, though?

Indeed he was also cunning and resourceful. But would everyone else see that? Would they know him for the person he was and the potential he was capable of, as Hiln did? Or would they only see a young, slim boy incapable of defending himself and those surrounding him?

Even if they did see all that in him, would that be enough? Would one's intellect be just as valued as it was before? Or would the strength of one's arm be all that mattered? Contemplating all this sickened Hiln. But as Myr said himself, it would be ignorant to ignore the other side. She knew she would fight for him. But would others?

Breaking her free of her deep thoughts was Myr's voice. "Hiln. This is long enough. We've been walking for hours now and have not seen nor heard any signs of anything. I think it will be okay to set up camp here and rest for the night. I for one sorely need it. I'm sure you're starving, if nothing else."

She was indeed starved. That alone was more than enough reason to perhaps call it a night. She was nearly going to. Then something came into view.

"Wait. You see that?" she asked, pointing forward.

"See what? I don't--"

"There! Right there!"

Myr carefully followed the direction in which Hiln pointed. He squinted and jogged ahead. He halted when it finally came into view. An intact wood elf outpost.

"Oh, bless the gods!" Myr praised, clenching a fist.

"What'd I tell you? Just a little longer."

"That was slightly more than just a little, but you were right regardless and I love you all the more for it. Does this mean we can finally fuck now?" the young man innocently asked.

"Do you truly still have the vigor for that?" Hiln asked, giving him a sharp eye.

"Maybe, I don't know," Myr mumbled.

"Keep your wits about you," Hiln reminded, dismissing him. "We don't know what's in there. We should remain on alert until we've searched thoroughly and can be sure we're alone."