Rise - The Fallen Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You're telling me that? I did this kind of thing everyday after the first invasion. You can count on me to lead the way."

"Are you sure you're up for it?"

"Why wouldn't I be? Come now. Follow my lead."

Myr led on without hesitation. Hardly was he even willing to wait for Hiln or glance back to ensure she was following. Young as he was, she could not discern whether this was recklessness or confidence.

"There's no easy way to do this," Myr whispered, once they reached the entrance.

"Be ready at any moment to retreat. We certainly don't want to fight in close confines when it comes to these things. Not with our weapons, at least. Once one knows we're here, they'll all know and be on us. Should that happen, we'll draw them out here to--" Myr suddenly paused as he realized something. "Know what? Why don't you stay out here? I'll go in there alone."

"What? Don't be ridiculous," Hiln hissed.

"It's safer," Myr calmly corrected. "Should my face smack against one of theirs, I can't have you behind me plugging the way out. I need room. And like I said, we'll need to run if there are any undead in there. Don't know how much running you'll be doing in that armor."

"I don't know. I don't like the sounds of this plan. What if I go in alone and you stay out here?"

"What's the matter? Don't trust me all of a sudden?"

Hiln was silent.

"I've done this a hundred times. What's the harm in one more?"

Hiln could think of a few reasons. She kept them to herself though and bit her tongue. With a nod, Myr smiled and entered alone.

The outpost wasn't as large as other elven outposts. Of course there was little reason to station a large number of warriors in the middle of nowhere. If there was so little reason, however, why have one at all? Unless elsewhere nearby hid a settlement. If that was the case, no one but the elves knew of it.

Myr doubted that was the case. Wood elves had long integrated amongst the populace. What reason would they have to keep a secret like that?

Creeping deeper on the tips of his toes, Myr peeked around a corner. Holding the torch behind himself allowed just enough light to see, but not too much to easily reveal himself. As he presumed, there were indeed undead lurking about.

So far the one standing in front of him was the only in sight. Myr crouched low and drew his blade as he slowly approached from behind. More often than not, he found that averting one's gaze from their target for only a moment could prove a terrible idea. Therefore, Myr's never left the single undead in front of him. Though the standing hairs on his neck begged him to turn around.

Ignoring his senses, for better or for worse, Myr stabbed up. Instead of thrusting downwards or head-on, he went directly upwards, allowing him to use his own weight to counterbalance his target, easing it down as much as he could to soften its landing.

The chances that a quiet thud could be registered as potential targets was somewhat unlikely. Myr wasn't willing to take chances, though. The chance that their fall would be louder than expected or possibly knock something over was a mistake he wasn't keen to repeat.

Several more undead met the same fate as Myr's first target. Their dormant state left them more vulnerable than a man with a broken heart. So long as one their attacker remained hidden, that was.

Most were elves, as expected. There was one orc, and a human, much to Myr's surprise. Although, considering they had encountered an orc and humans earlier in the day, perhaps it wasn't so surprising after all. Their presence and separation caused the young man to question what truly happened here.

Six killed and most of the outpost checked and cleared, Myr was certain there couldn't be much more danger remaining. Unfortunately, blessed as he was to stumble upon this outpost, the gods were not so merciful to spare him of one last group of undeads. Additionally, one stood directly around a corner. A corner Myr peeked out from, their noses nearly touching tips.

The young man's eyes bulged from his sockets. The undead before him jerked and came to life when their eyes met. As its mouth dropped to scream and cover Myr's face in spittle, he shoved it away and bolted.

Frenzied rage rippled through the halls. Blood curdling screams drowned Myr's ears. The young man dared not look back. Every strand of hair stood upright, rigid, as if he were a housecat fleeing from a wild pack of dogs.

Myr flew through the doors past Hiln. Immediately after his passing, the blonde swung, caving in the first undead's forehead. The abrupt stop flung its feet straight into the air. Before it even hit the ground, the second was already outside and passing her. Fighting against the immense inertia of the war-hammer with all her strength, she quickly smashed in the back of its head.

Spotting Hiln where the others could not, a third leapt at her, swiping at her face with its broken nails. She dashed back, avoiding its claws, but not the fourth undead who took her to the ground. The torch rolled along the ground.

The two tumbled to the ground. Hiln was quick to return to her feet. Not quick enough to finish off this undead when she needed to, however. Dodging her first swing - it did eventually die - but lived long enough to keep Hiln from preparing for the next two.

Before she was able to bring the war-hammer back around for another swing, she found herself lying on the ground again. Momentarily dazed from banging her head upon landing, the undead was able to land several punches to the face. After several, Hiln finally managed to raise her war-hammer and strike its temple. Lacking her full strength behind that swing though, the undead fell aside but not for good.

As soon as she was freed of that undead, the second slammed down its sword. Rolling away just in time presented a ripe opportunity to strike. Slamming down her own weapon, she turned the undead's head into a pile of wet muck.

Upon standing, another undead ran in from the side and seized her by the throat. As its claws sank into her pale skin and crimson blood oozed down, it maneuvered behind her, allowing the previous undead left alive to attack her front.

Kicking a leg forward, Hiln launched it back. She then reached over her shoulder and held her captor's head firm on the back. Pushing its head forward, she threw her war-hammer over her shoulder and proceeded to smash in its face until her weapon met her hand.

Rest was a necessity Hiln could not afford. Once that undead was done with, the previous returned for a third round. Diving into her stomach, it attempted to take her down as the others had before. This time she was more prepared than ever. Holding firm, she ceased their momentum and threw the undead aside.

She would have loved to have dealt with it for good, but from the corner of her eye even more undead approached. The closest also wielded a sword. Hiln could not react fast enough to defend herself from its wild flurries. Fortunately, the undead struck nothing but her armor. Deflecting its next attack, Hiln managed to knock the weapon loose and follow up with a blow to the skull.

The previous undead again attacked, springing up from out of view. This time it managed a shallow scratch across the face. Though weak, the blonde was made unsteady. Even more so after the next two arrived and brought her to her knees. Together the three kept her there, doubled over, arms defending her head as she suffered their pummeling.

Hiln was unsure an opening would present itself. But when it did, she seized the moment with haste. Shattering one of their knees with her war-hammer, Hiln shot straight up and launched an elbow behind her, holding off the second undead. The third charged but Hiln kicked it back. After which she spun around and separated the second's lower face.

When it fell aside from the force of impact, Hiln readied herself to finish off the others. She did not expect the one with a shattered knee to be as mobile as it still was. The crawling monster latched onto her. Immobile, she was wide open for the third to attack. Its assault freed her at the expense of several punches and scratches to the face. A few blows landed on her armor, but not nearly enough. At the very least, she remained standing.

Hiln grunted in frustration. She could not regain her composure. Truth be told, she could hardly even see her opponent. Darkness and blurriness obscured her vision.

Eventually, she managed to block an attack and lock its arm under her armpit. Thrusting her pelvis downwards, she forced it to its knees where she bludgeoned its head in.

"To the hells with you!" she spat.

So preoccupied she was with that undead that she was unprepared to be tackled. It did not sweep her off her feet, fortunately. Not by itself, at least. With the aid of the other, Hiln was on the ground once more.

The one that tackled her first straddled her and proceeded to whale on her as if it were an ape gone mad. At first the blonde only thought of defending herself. With the other undead crawling towards her, however, she needed to act quick. A blow to the stomach forced the straddling undead to lurch forward. In its lowered position, Hiln held it in place as she drove the pommel of her weapon into its head repeatedly until its blood washed over her chest.

Unable to throw its body aside, Hiln let it collapse atop her as the last undead chomped at her face. Catching it by the throat, she bared her teeth as it inched closer. Straining her neck in a feeble attempt to get away only presented a salivating sight. Her neck was slender and smooth. Any man would lick his lips staring at. The undead certainly could not wait to sink its fangs into that soft flesh.

Just like most men, forever it would need to wait. For Hiln managed the strength to simply smack the side of her war-hammer into its head. Without much strength or room to wind up, each blow did nothing alone. But when done repeatedly, cracks began to show and blood to leak. Frighteningly, the undead could not care less. Unfazed, it kept fighting even though it was dying.

They truly have no care for their own well-being, Hiln realized.

The undead did not let up. Snarling in her face, drool and black blood dribbled onto her cheek. It seemed as if it was gaining strength. In truth, Hiln's strength was simply failing.

Gasping for air, she let her sword arm fall to the side. Her other arm felt numb from holding back the undead. She could not even comprehend how she still managed to keep it from feasting on her flesh. The tiniest bit of her almost wished she could just give up and rest.

The gods would never forgive her, though. The thought of those she served, and those that needed saving was what gave her the resolution to muster her remaining strength. With a raging roar, she whalloped the undead across the skull. Its blackened blood drenched her.

Pushing the undead off her, Hiln audibly sighed. Afterwards, she simply laid there, chest heaving and mind whirling. She almost lost consciousness. Were it not for the nearby bangs and grunts of effort, she may have.

Shooting up with a speeding heart, she remembered Myr. Eyes darting around the darkness, she spotted him some ways off. A single undead whaled on his shield. He did not seem capable of finishing it off, if even capable of landing a single hit.

Hiln tiredly picked herself up and rushed over. With its back to her, and latched onto Myr's shield, Hiln tackled it to the ground with ease. Pinning its sword arm down, she smashed in its head, finally finishing off the undead for the night.

"I uh... I had that one, you know," Myr said, panting like a tired horse.

Hiln did not reply. She could hardly even hold herself up. She simply nodded with raspy breaths.

Retrieving his torch, Myr saw the filth that covered his blonde companion. "You uh... Got something on your face," he chuckled.

Hiln smiled. As she wiped off what she could, she revealed her open wounds. Myr's eyes narrowed in. Then he backed away. Hiln immediately noticed.

"What is it?"

"Are those scratches?" Myr asked, growing cautious.

"Yes? What of them? Have you none?"

Myr shook his head. "No. Never."

"Okay. What's the problem? I'm fine. Can't you see?"

"They scratched you. Your wounds too. They've got blood in them. Undead blood."

Realization set in like a set of weights landing at the bottom of the ocean. She had forgotten what he told her. Hiln's blood turned cold. Her eyes became distant.

"Oh," she muttered.